The Royal Family

whelk

Not a subject that overly interests me but for my sins just watched Piers Morgan talking about the interview.

obviously he has an agenda and the is perfect subject for him to go all shock jock on but makes some good points and was being called out as a racist bully by Tricia for attacking Megan.

As an aside would it be shocking if Phillip commented about baby skin colour? 

41 minutes ago, whelk said:

Not a subject that overly interests me but for my sins just watched Piers Morgan talking about the interview.

obviously he has an agenda and the is perfect subject for him to go all shock jock on but makes some good points and was being called out as a racist bully by Tricia for attacking Megan.

No, he's got a long history of those sort of comments. 

It's great to see a couple of who left the royal family because they didn't want any attention doing an interview that will be shown around the world, what better way to avoid publicity than to do this.

7 minutes ago, aintforever said:

This. Fair play to Harry for escaping the freak show.

That’s how I feel too. But it’s largely the media obsession which makes it into a freak show. They pore over every detail every dress every comment and treat them as either angels or demons . Meghan has basically been stalked and character assassinated like Diana was (until she died and became Princess of Hearts again). 

The Royal Family I don’t really care about either way but the media coverage of them makes me heave. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, buctootim said:

That’s how I feel too. But it’s largely the media obsession which makes it into a freak show. They pore over every detail every dress every comment and treat them as either angels or demons . Meghan has basically been stalked and character assassinated like Diana was (until she died and became Princess of Hearts again). 

The Royal Family I don’t really care about either way but the media coverage of them makes me heave. 

Pretty much this. Couldn't care less about the royals, personally but the tourists seem to like them so.... whatever I guess.

We now have a week of padded interviews with people who have no clue what is going on and are making up stuff to sound informed.

The qualifications to be a royal correspondent are the ability to curtsy and access to Google.

The rest is smoke and mirrors.

It's like people banging on about players wages and why they won't sign this or that or what went on in the boardroom - it's all made up.

No one knows the truth - and in this case, no one actually cares.

• Haha 1

Can't wait until they are no longer a part of British society. Positives: we get two bank holidays when Queenie goes, at least one more for Charles after her and then hopefully nobody will give enough of a shit after him and they can quietly fade into the background...

2 hours ago, buctootim said:

I would give the Mail Online a miss today then - thought I would take a quick look to see how obsessed they are.  Lost count of how many stories they have published on the subject!!

Edited by warsash saint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not something I thought I'd ever say, but I've really enjoyed the front page of the Daily Star the last few weeks (it features on the BBC website 'Paper Talk' section most days).

The Daily Star headlines can sometimes be pretty funny when all the others are reporting 'man changing trousers' as 'the sky is falling'.   

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

The whole thing bores me per se but it’s actually a national problem in trying to export the UK and it’s goods and services beyond the EU if it is seen as colonialist, racist backwater. Especially to the Commonwealth. 

The tabloids as always are obsessing about this but they have been the worst at banging out the old white ‘Rule Britannia’ instead of focusing on just how innovative, dynamic and inclusive this country can be eg the internet, Concorde and jet liners, vaccines, computing. That’s the positive picture I want to see sold. When the Prime Minister has some of the quotes he has on record about the empire it’s not a surprise. 

The media gave a clearly unwell person (Diana) a horrific hounding and when she sadly perished, they painted her as some sort of Saint (no pun intended). Her young son was made to walk in front of his mother’s coffin on global TV, expected not to show emotion when thousands of the general public in his eyeline were blubbing for someone they never knew. We then wonder why he has mental health issues as well, not to mention from military conflict which is being conveniently forgotten by the hacks. Fair play to Philip for walking with those boys on the day of the funeral.

A protocol-heavy environment, especially when enforced by non-family members to some extent it appears was never going to end well.

I don’t have strong views on the monarchy either way but I do think the tabloids and nonentities like Junor are an industry of parasites who have fed off this and the human travails of the 80s and 90s. I think they will survive this again eg the Royal Family but the whole thing is another metaphor for the cultural battle going on in the country for yearning for the past vs looking to the future. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Unfortunately they are still relevant, about 65% of people still want them. Not for me.

The Queen only cares about the longevity of the monarchy, not the countries citizens or not even the people within the royal family, they are all expendable if the image of the monarchy is affected. I get that she sees herself as apart of a centuries old tradition and she doesn't want it's demise on her shift. The monarchy need adulation from people to survive, the people want more than a hidden mythical family and the more they reveal themselves the more cracks you see.

I have some sympathy for the old fool, because its a generational thing. My father in law used to say racist stuff with out thinking, he would get challenged on it and sometimes he would take it and sometimes it would lead to a big row. 

Still it's all a distraction from the kiddie fiddler friend. 

17 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Still it's all a distraction from the kiddie fiddler friend. 

Yeah, all the fuss over Meghan's alleged bullying with the Palace announcing an enquiry. 

No enquiry into Andy's taste for young girls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ecuk268 said:

Yeah, all the fuss over Meghan's alleged bullying with the Palace announcing an enquiry. 

No enquiry into Andy's taste for young girls.

The former involves palace staff for whom they have a duty of care and can hold an internal enquiry.

Any allegations regarding Andrew fall outside the Palace's remit. 

Meg’s apparent suicidal thoughts opens up and entirely different can of worms on the matter. For example if Andrew had said he felt suicidal over the press coverage of his relationship with Epstein, would we all have to back off and feel sorry for him? I think most people are just taking whichever side of it suits their agenda, which is what usually happens anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Meg’s apparent suicidal thoughts opens up and entirely different can of worms on the matter. For example if Andrew had said he felt suicidal over the press coverage of his relationship with Epstein, would we all have to back off and feel sorry for him? I think most people are just taking whichever side of it suits their agenda, which is what usually happens anyway.

Why wouldn't you feel sorry for someone who feels suicidal?

9 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Why wouldn't you feel sorry for someone who feels suicidal?

I would. The problem is knowing to what extent a person is genuine when they SAY they feel suicidal. It can’t just be a default, ‘get out of jail free’ card.

Another thing she said which I just cannot believe.  She said she had no idea that press would be so intrusive and that she never even googled Harry prior to meeting him. Yeah, right!

It could have been all too different had Ashley Cole bagged it beforehand, on her search for UK stardom

Edited by AlexLaw76

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I would. The problem is knowing to what extent a person is genuine when they SAY they feel suicidal. It can’t just be a default, ‘get out of jail free’ card.

Why would Megan need a ‘get out of Jail free card’?

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Another thing she said which I just cannot believe.  She said she had no idea that press would be so intrusive and that she never even googled Harry prior to meeting him. Yeah, right!

It could have been all too different had Ashley Cole bagged it beforehand, on her search for UK stardom

Isn't she also complaining that they took her passport and a few other bits off her saying that she had someone to do all that for her now. She also complained that she didn't know she had to curtsey to the queen. Either she's very naive, very stupid or lying.

8 hours ago, whelk said:

Might not there also have been discussion if the baby was going to be ginger haired.......?

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Isn't she also complaining that they took her passport and a few other bits off her saying that she had someone to do all that for her now. She also complained that she didn't know she had to curtsey to the queen. Either she's very naive, very stupid or lying.

Harry must have been a shit boyfriend if he never gave Megan the 'heads up' that she might have to curtsey to the Queen (his Gran).  I mean, how else would she have known?

Lastly, their additional wedding raises all sorts of questions;

The Archbishop has either done something unlawful or someone is lying.  He can't provide a marriage ceremony outside of a religous venue with no witnesses, or he performed a civil ceremony at a venue not licensed for such activity, which he is probably not authorised to do.

But was it a wedding rehersal? If so, why just them two? why not familiy, friends, staff, security, bridesmades etc.  Or do they just rock up and get on with it on the day?

Will the Archibishop carry the can for this and fall on his sword, or will he come out and say Megan is lying?

Edited by AlexLaw76

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Harry must have been a shit boyfriend if he never gave Megan the 'heads up' that she might have to curtsey to the Queen (his Gran).  I mean, how else would she have known?

Fancy him not telling her that she wouldn't need to carry keys around (the driver sorts out the car and the butlers let them into the house) or worry about losing her passport either.

It seems to have been a genuine surprise to them both that when the Royal Family said they wouldn't support them if they left the family then that meant they wouldn't get any money.  

Meghan trying to wrap herself in a cloak of victim hood was always what was going to be on the cards from that interview.

so I take the race claims somewhat with a pinch of salt. To me she was never going to want to be a supporting cast member and Harry seems to have found the way out he’d been looking.

i did wonder if Harry hates Charles beforehand, from his cheerleading the crown’s portrayal and interview seemed to add fuel to that.

They’ve burned bridges completely to set themselves up as us celebrity influencers. Time will tell how it will work out.

I don’t have strong views either way but slagging off your dad on tv isn’t right.

also Meghan invites Oprah (who she’d apparently only met once prior to that) to her wedding (the fake one) which seems to be the action of someone who knows how to court positive publicity.

the race thing - fck me and as above if you had a blonde and ginger couple you might say wonder what colour hair they might have. Obviously don’t know the ‘concern’ context so may be more to it but hey there’s a racist we can pile on so let’s go for it. 

Edited by whelk

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

And her hubby the champion of mental health and sought help himself. Doesn’t ring true that she would be just refused but who knows and she gets the first blows in 

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Completely different scenarios. 

Andrew got pelted for his shenanigans, and the pizza / sweating bollox. If he has issues from that, I have no sympathy. 

Megan and Harry got frozen out of family. We dunno the truth, but if she/they are partially truthful, it's easy to understand that it's impacted on her. 

I have some sympathy for her - I have no doubt she would have felt very lonely at times, and she got on the wrong side of the press and they have never forgiven that and have been relentless.

However, that doesn't mean that she isn't full of shit, and some of the snippets make no sense/ are contradictory.

You can't be a dynamic exciting reformer taking on the tired fusty old fashioned establishment and then get the right hump when (checks notes) her son doesn't get a royal title. And I want my privacy but I'll also spring the gender of my unborn child on international TV.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, whelk said:

I don’t have strong views either way but slagging off your dad on tv isn’t right.

also Meghan invites Oprah (who she’d apparently only met once prior to that) to her wedding (the fake one) which seems to be the action of someone who knows how to court positive publicity.

the race thing - fck me and as above if you had a blonde and ginger couple you might say wonder what colour hair they might have. Obviously don’t know the ‘concern’ context so may be more to it but hey there’s a racist we can pile on so let’s go for it. 

Assuming Charles believes Harry to be his son, the physical appearance of a child would be very important considering the rumours around who is Harry’s father.

If (as could have been possible) Archie had been born ‘darker skinned’ than Meghan, there’s a chance similar rumours could have started to spread.

IF that was the context of the conversation, it seems reasonable and not at all racist given the family history.

The context could also have been completely different and disgustingly racist, however, if Harry is adamant he won’t confirm who the conversation is with and in what context, it’s fair to assume it wasn’t anything particularly horrendous. If a relative of mine was hideously racist about my wife and son, I wouldn’t make much effort to protect them.

3 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

Assuming Charles believes Harry to be his son, the physical appearance of a child would be very important considering the rumours around who is Harry’s father.

If (as could have been possible) Archie had been born ‘darker skinned’ than Meghan, there’s a chance similar rumours could have started to spread.

IF that was the context of the conversation, it seems reasonable and not at all racist given the family history.

Idris Elba, you reckon?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

The context could also have been completely different and disgustingly racist, however, if Harry is adamant he won’t confirm who the conversation is with and in what context, it’s fair to assume it wasn’t anything particularly horrendous. If a relative of mine was hideously racist about my wife and son, I wouldn’t make much effort to protect them.

You’re right it is all about context. If it was a completely harmless comment from a family member you would like to think Harry wouldn’t drag it up, but who knows.

1 hour ago, whelk said:

The skin colour thing can't be anything other than a race issue - it shouldn't even be a discussion, and if it was, it suggests that skin colour was an issue. 

I've read nothing to suggest that Harry sagged Charlie off. Rather, he stated there were issues. Nothing wrong with that imo. 

Quite what the issues are between Harry and Charlie who knows, but everyone is assuming that the skin colour issue involves Phillip. 

53 minutes ago, egg said:

Quite what the issues are between Harry and Charlie who knows, but everyone is assuming that the skin colour issue involves Phillip. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-56319187

Chat show host Oprah Winfrey has revealed that the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were not involved in any discussion about what the skin colour would be of Meghan and Harry's then unborn child.