Women’s Football

Lord Duckhunter

40 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Stating that chicks football is shockingly bad and only gets its  publicity by piggybacking on the men’s game, isn’t a 1970’s opinion. It’s a 2020’s fact. 

How about calling women 'chicks'?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Doing the line at my sons football today, I turned to run down the line and nearly smaked into the female co-manager who was standing on the line in a world of her own, staring into space. The ball went up the other end, so I stopped and said you were miles away were you thinking about the shopping later. Ten minutes later the male co-manager came strutting over saying I insulted her with my sexist comments. It took me ages to work out what I had said.

Fuckin modern world.

5 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Doing the line at my sons football today, I turned to run down the line and nearly smaked into the female co-manager who was standing on the line in a world of her own, staring into space. The ball went up the other end, so I stopped and said you were miles away were you thinking about the shopping later. Ten minutes later the male co-manager came strutting over saying I insulted her with my sexist comments. It took me ages to work out what I had said.

Fuckin modern world.

Call the referee over and ask him to give her a yellow card for standing too close to the line and blocking your passage.

6 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Fuckin modern world.

He is right though... your comment was sexist.

8 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Call the referee over and ask him to give her a yellow card for standing too close to the line and blocking your passage.

It's kids football with 15 year old refs, who are like rabbits in head lights, you just have to roll with it. The managers have the whole side to themselves, with all the parents in the other side behind a rope. Yet they all stand on the line or on the pitch as they are screaming their instructions. 

4 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

We all do shopping MLG. It was a passing the day type comment. 

If it was the bloke I might have said 'thinking about the DIY later', would that have been wrong. 

Varying the comment depending on gender is what makes it sexist.

Using shopping to her was highlighting a stereotype you are surely aware of and should know the connotations.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Fuckin modern world.

Why’s a bird the co manager? 

I helped out when my nipper was younger, and lads need a bit of controlling. Having a dopey bird pretending they know what they’re doing isn’t doing anyone any good. 

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why’s a bird the co manager? 

I helped out when my nipper was younger, and lads need a bit of controlling. Having a dopey bird pretending they know what they’re doing isn’t doing anyone any good. 

If that is supposed to be 'funny'... it isn't funny and it is moronic.

If it isn't supposed to be funny it is moronic.

Grow up and join the 21st century 🙄

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Typical referee, fucking yellow card for “standing too close to the line”. Are you also a Traffic Warden? 

• Haha 3

It gets more coverage than it deserves, based on ability.  I don't mind promotion but why choose women?  Why not choose youth?  Shouldn't the under 18 sides complain that ageist policies prevent them getting the coverage they deserve?  Why not promote disability football?  It exists and has leagues but I don't see them on the BBC every day.

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Fuckin modern world.

Lol.

It took him 10 minutes to figure out you'd insulted her!  

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

There will now be a woman presenting Football Focus on the BBC.

She can’t be any worse than MoTD X or whatever it’s called. That idiot Jenas and a bunch of babbling halfwits getting down with the kids. I had the misfortune to watch the first 5 minutes of it Friday, and god it was absolute pony. Jimmy Hill will be turning in his grave. 

5 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

It's kids football with 15 year old refs, who are like rabbits in head lights, you just have to roll with it. The managers have the whole side to themselves, with all the parents in the other side behind a rope. Yet they all stand on the line or on the pitch as they are screaming their instructions. 

When I was a lino for my son's team I used to get a certain amount of satisfaction from 'accidentally' clattering into anyone who stood too close to the line. They tended to stand well back thereafter.... 

Edited by trousers

It does get an OTT amount of coverage now, mainly on the BBC, but I guess that is making up for the fact that it has been TOTALLY ignored for years. Yes, the level is not as good, but they're mostly (I believe) not paid massive amounts of money to be professional athletes who kick a ball, they just kick a ball. 

I think it's crap and I choose not to watch it, but then I only watch Saints matches anyway as football has generally become a load of bollocks.  I'm waiting for the first woman to appear in a man's team in the top 4 divisions, THEN we'll see proper advancement. 

I'm being semi serious as it's too easy to have a go at women's football. Don't like, don't watch and don't look at the BBC news pages. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It does get an OTT amount of coverage now, mainly on the BBC, but I guess that is making up for the fact that it has been TOTALLY ignored for years. Yes, the level is not as good, but they're mostly (I believe) not paid massive amounts of money to be professional athletes who kick a ball, they just kick a ball. 

The England Men's and Women's teams receive equal pay and bonuses so presumably the FA believe the quality, standard and actractiveness are the same - although I think the women may have won more on the international stage ;) 

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think it's crap and I choose not to watch it, but then I only watch Saints matches anyway as football has generally become a load of bollocks.  I'm waiting for the first woman to appear in a man's team in the top 4 divisions, THEN we'll see proper advancement. 

I'm being semi serious as it's too easy to have a go at women's football. Don't like, don't watch and don't look at the BBC news pages. 

Having separate mens and womens leagues doesn't seem very inclusive to me.....

19 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

She can’t be any worse than MoTD X or whatever it’s called. That idiot Jenas and a bunch of babbling halfwits getting down with the kids. I had the misfortune to watch the first 5 minutes of it Friday, and god it was absolute pony. Jimmy Hill will be turning in his grave. 

It's all a bit urban and tekkers, but it is a kids programme. You would watch Dora the Explorer and expect to be entertained.

The economic reality is that its cheap and therefore the BBC can afford it. Its not like most football at most levels is over blessed with quality. Sport is interesting to watch when it is competitive. Watching two bantam weights fight is interesting, but if you tried to compare this with how two heavy weights go at it, its not the same thing. With no professional incentive the quality is unlikely to be at its peak. Watching athletes at their peak competing with other athletes at their peak in a fair contest is exciting. But to compare them against each other is not helpful they should be judged against themselves. If it does not entertain you choose to do something else is the only suggestion I can give.

People do not watch kids sport and complain their Johnny's game aint as good as watching Real Madrid. But is judged in the context of a game against other 8 year olds for example.

Can’t think of many sports where sexes compete. Horse racing and darts is all I can think of.

Happy for it to be on and doesn’t have to be same level of men’s game but the patronising accompanying reporting and punditry gets my goat. Pretence and now has crept into football podcasts. It is not the same and I don’t want to hear about it.

also amusing how angry the gammon get like their golf club is being overrun

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mystic Force said:

Watching athletes at their peak competing with other athletes at their peak in a fair contest , But to compare them against each other is not helpful they should be judged against themselves. 

It’s not about them playing against blokes, that’ll never happen. And if the ones I saw in the champions league final are at their peak, I dread to think what they’ll look like when they retire. 

Jessica Ennis couldn’t compete with men, but she’d piss all over a park runner. Tennis is a proper birds sport, if there weren’t blokes at Wimbledon, it’ll still be a sell out and be considered elite sport despite the fact a professional man would thrash them 6-0, 6-0. Their tennis, athletics, swimming, beach volleyball, netball, are stand alone credible sports. Football isn’t. Maybe with a few innovative ideas it could be, but the Wokies wouldn’t dare try it. 

33 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s not about them playing against blokes, that’ll never happen. And if the ones I saw in the champions league final are at their peak, I dread to think what they’ll look like when they retire. 

Jessica Ennis couldn’t compete with men, but she’d piss all over a park runner. Tennis is a proper birds sport, if there weren’t blokes at Wimbledon, it’ll still be a sell out and be considered elite sport despite the fact a professional man would thrash them 6-0, 6-0. Their tennis, athletics, swimming, beach volleyball, netball, are stand alone credible sports. Football isn’t. Maybe with a few innovative ideas it could be, but the Wokies wouldn’t dare try it. 

What would those ideas be? Are any of them sporting or are all of them clothing?

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Difference with a lot of those sports is that they were never banned from playing for years and have been supported by consistent funding. Women's football was left floundering for decades. It's only been in more recent times that it's been supported properly, firstly in the US and some of Europe and more latterly around the world.

They obviously won't have the skill men do at the top level because they've largely not had the structure to achieve it. Give it 20 years and their game will have improved a hell of a lot. 

Also, any proper pro woman footballer would run rings around your Dog and Duck players. I did some FA coaching badges years ago and was taught by Sue Lopez, her touch and passing was miles ahead of anyone else I have ever played with.

On 16/05/2021 at 13:49, Matthew Le God said:

If that is supposed to be 'funny'... it isn't funny and it is moronic.

If it isn't supposed to be funny it is moronic.

Grow up and join the 21st century 🙄

Funniest thread in ages. Talk about a wind-up

9 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

It's all a bit urban and tekkers, but it is a kids programme. You would watch Dora the Explorer and expect to be entertained.

Imagine how red his face would be watching a Latino female

7 hours ago, The Cat said:

Also, any proper pro woman footballer would run rings around your Dog and Duck players

We had a case a few years back...our futsal team was in a league where Perth Glory a side with a number of their woman's team. They were competitive but still beat them twice, think they finished 3rd in the league. We came top but lost the 'grand final' to the team in second...still bothers me now as we were about 5 points clear of them. Stupid Aussie format.

On 16/05/2021 at 07:09, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’d love to watch this, but The Dog & Duck are playing the Red Lion at the local Rec. Being a glory hunter, I prefer to watch the higher standard game. 

If I had this attitude, I could not be a Saints supporter while there are so many better teams than us at the moment.

Everything has its place, but if you do not share that place, why take the time to piss on it?

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Genuinely more interested Saints are doing well.  Shouldn’t be scared of grouping separately eg claiming goal records now overtaken Rooney etc is just stupid when chalk and cheese although also sounds weird when they make distinction eg saying England Mens cricket team.

Don’t like it don’t watch it I guess. 

I don’t particularly have a problem with them pushing woman’s sport, it’s good for the game and I like seeing the Southampton ladies do well (like earning a promotion playoff after beating  Portsmouth).

Does it deserve the coverage it gets based on viewer totals probably not but who cares as long as it doesn’t affect me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Perhaps you could point out similar cock ups (pun intended) from our male keepers. There’s been nothing anywhere near as incompetent. 

Didn’t one of our keepers let in the longest goal of all time. There was that time Boruc was dispossessed trying to do tricks outside the box.

If you Google goalkeeper mistakes to be honest there are some true shockers in the mens game let’s not pretend otherwise. 😂

• Like 2