Jack Stephens' passion & has he improved?

niceandfriendly

26 minutes ago, Minsk said:

I like Jack as a player. I especially like the way he gets 'stuck in' and speaks his mind. He could well be the defensive leader so many of us have been saying we need all these past months. Moreover, I feel he and Salisu are forming a decent partnership at CB. They certainly compliment each other well. 

Okay, yes, he does make mistakes. News flash - All players make mistakes! I have even seen van Dick make a howler here and there. Tarkowski, who many rave about, had a complete mare against Leeds last season and was at fault for at least 3 of their 4 goals. Jack has and will make mistakes. I can accept that. So long as he also has those matches where he gets stuck in (as in against Fernandes/Utd) and dominates his opponent (as he did yesterday against Antonio).

I guess another question is: Are Stephens/Salisu a better CB pairing than Bednarek/Vestergaard? They are certainly very different in their strengths and weaknesses. The former far more mobile; the latter better in the air. Given most threats in the prem come from fast, mobile, players (as opposed to the traditional, big, English CF type) it could be argued that the mobile CBs are more useful.  

On the evidence so far this season, yes.

I know Vestergaard improved a lot and his passing was good but I always felt that he was far too slow and a defensive liability. There is not a lot to choose between Stephens and Bednarek but Jack dominates the opposition's dangermen more. He is our enforcer and gives the team a bit of steel.

• Like 1

I thought the bloke was going to be a really decent player, but he never trained on from his good  start in the side. It’s too early to say whether he’s finally learning from his mistakes and developing into a proper centre half, but he’s started the season well. IF he continues in this vein for the whole season , then it’s going to be a real bonus to the club. Fair play to Ralph, others would have ditched him by now. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I thought the bloke was going to be a really decent player, but he never trained on from his good  start in the side. It’s too early to say whether he’s finally learning from his mistakes and developing into a proper centre half, but he’s started the season well. IF he continues in this vein for the whole season , then it’s going to be a real bonus to the club. Fair play to Ralph, others would have ditched him by now. 

Good post - do you think Ralph has had any influence in him getting any better. And you say, Everton aside, I think he is working well with Salisu, and I wouldn’t think Ralph will want to split the paring up why they are working well.

I wonder if Lyanco will make a start v Sheff Utd in the cup - may be his only way to get a game at this rate - and the competition for places is something we haven’t really had.

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Completey agree, watched him closely yesterday, he reads the game well and is the most vocal player in our side, especially with Livramento , a quality we desperately need and no one else seems to do that. 

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Good post - do you think Ralph has had any influence in him getting any better. And you say, Everton aside, I think he is working well with Salisu, and I wouldn’t think Ralph will want to split the paring up why they are working well.

I wonder if Lyanco will make a start v Sheff Utd in the cup - may be his only way to get a game at this rate - and the competition for places is something we haven’t really had.

I'd have thought so, back up centre backs of Lyanco and Bednarek looks pretty strong with KWP at right back 

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

I'd have thought so, back up centre backs of Lyanco and Bednarek looks pretty strong with KWP at right back 

No way should KWP be a back-up player. We are wasting his talents and he'll get fed up and put in for a transfer. We cannot afford to lose players of his calibre. Tino can play ahead of him as the majority of fans seem to be advocating.

19 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

No way should KWP be a back-up player. We are wasting his talents and he'll get fed up and put in for a transfer. We cannot afford to lose players of his calibre. Tino can play ahead of him as the majority of fans seem to be advocating.

I completely agree, just making the point we can now change the whole defence without any reduction in quality, hopefully means we can cope with injuries and have a good go at the cups. 

Honestly, every few months we get this. He has a run of decent games and suddenly someone asks if he’s the answer and has he improved. It was only a month ago he watched DCL wander into the six yard box to tap in for Everton.

As ever he’s capable of a good game or two, a very good game, but he will slip back into his old ways given time. He’s 28, what you see now is what you’re going to get.

16 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Good post - do you think Ralph has had any influence in him getting any better. 

Yes, credit where it’s due. We seem set up a bit better defensively, giving him a little more protection. His previous best spell was under Puel, who had a defensive structure that brought the best out of him. He also doesn’t seem quite so causal with the ball or in his marking this season. His jumping still worries me, maybe he needs to bulk up a bit, but fingers crossed he’s reaching an age where his experience will make him a better player. Everybody makes mistakes, but the best players make less and make different ones. Making the same mistakes over and over will kill you at this level. 

IF, he plays out the season the way he’s started it, and it’s a big if, I can see him skippering the side next. 

4 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

He’s 28, what you see now is what you’re going to get.

Well that’s complete pony.

Tony Book never played a professional game till he was in his 30’s, played for Bath City. He went on to win The old first division, the European cup winners cup, the FA cup, League cup and was footballer of the year. Not saying Jack will do any of that but to claim a centre half is “what you’re going to get” at 28 is rubbish. 

11 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Yes, credit where it’s due. We seem set up a bit better defensively, giving him a little more protection. His previous best spell was under Puel, who had a defensive structure that brought the best out of him. He also doesn’t seem quite so causal with the ball or in his marking this season. His jumping still worries me, maybe he needs to bulk up a bit, but fingers crossed he’s reaching an age where his experience will make him a better player. Everybody makes mistakes, but the best players make less and make different ones. Making the same mistakes over and over will kill you at this level. 

IF, he plays out the season the way he’s started it, and it’s a big if, I can see him skippering the side next. 

Yeah i agree with this, although at 27/28 im not sure how much more he will bulk out - it certainly should be something they focus on.  Interesting, that everyone does make mistakes, even VVD and Ramos, I guess more of our level mistakes lead to more goals.

I think the captaincy will be up for grabs next year, I think JWP will go, and can see Jack getting it if he is a mainstay of the team.

Weirdly, I know I have more time for Ralph than others, but I cant fathom why it has taken so long to make us harder to beat - I wonder if he was so stubborn that his way of playing was becoming his downfall.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Great squad player, I think relying on him week in week out would be too much of an ask for him

He's done perfectly well when he's had an extended run in the team, earlier this season and after the re-start in 2020. I don't think there is much at all between him and Bednarek really.

Looks to me like he has finally matured with experience, and has cut out most if not all of the silly mistakes he used to make. Seeing his name on the team sheet doesn't fill me with the sense of dread that it used to, let's put it that way.

• Like 1

It's not his general play as that is pretty good, brave, strong, aggressive but its his awareness that let's him down, often ball watching leaving free headers, as others said perfectly good squad player plus I think we'd get more money for JB when we decide to upgrade

• Like 1

I like him and think he gets a lot of unfair stick at times. He loves winding up the opposition and is doing a very good job of it, Antonio did not like playing against him earlier this season and got himself so frustrated ended up sent off. 

Stephens has been around a long time now, what's the latest on his contract?

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

I like him and think he gets a lot of unfair stick at times. He loves winding up the opposition and is doing a very good job of it, Antonio did not like playing against him earlier this season and got himself so frustrated ended up sent off. 

Stephens has been around a long time now, what's the latest on his contract?

Wasn't he one who apparently signed an extension but the club never mentioned it?

He's fine to have in the squad. More than decent back up and also seems like a great guy. 

I'd personally sell Bednarek, we could get a decent fee for him, and reinvest in an upgrade with Stephens there to complement the new CB and Salisu.

Is he better than Lyanco, or is there not much in it?

20 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Wasn't he one who apparently signed an extension but the club never mentioned it?

He's fine to have in the squad. More than decent back up and also seems like a great guy. 

I'd personally sell Bednarek, we could get a decent fee for him, and reinvest in an upgrade with Stephens there to complement the new CB and Salisu.

Is he better than Lyanco, or is there not much in it?

I'd say at the moment Stephens is better than the Gorilla who is a bit erratic and gets carried away with enthusiasm,  i remember reading about the contract extension for Stephens but that has never been confirmed? He must be due a testimonial soon? Maybe delay is over negotiations on who the opponents will be for that 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JRM said:

I'd say at the moment Stephens is better than the Gorilla who is a bit erratic and gets carried away with enthusiasm,  i remember reading about the contract extension for Stephens but that has never been confirmed? He must be due a testimonial soon? Maybe delay is over negotiations on who the opponents will be for that 

Guessing he might be one of the one's Ralph was complaining about letting contract run down and going for free? Stephen's hasn't been a regular for some time and might feel he is better off getting a starting place elsewhere. Agent's probably been tapped up by another club and would get a big signing on fee. Difficult one - could he be a regular starter here - maybe? (guaranteed - definitely not). Would be Ralph/club MO to leave out a player refusing to sign a new contract unless we absolutely had to use them (same situation with FF I reckon).

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Bizarrely seems to play better when he's brought into the side every now and then rather than given a run of games. Magnificent last night.

He was very good. I really like his organisation, he's constantly on at people to get into position. 

Nice clip of Antonio's heels in the second half down by the corner flag when the ball was rolling out for a throw and he was never going to get it. He's definitely our number 1 shithouser.

• Like 3