Newcastle 2-2 Saints - Match Thread

Saint Matty 76

On 26/08/2021 at 09:15, Dusic said:

Big game for reasons Benji says. I would bring in Redmond for Walcott as the only change.

Not sure why Walcott is at the club not a premier League player anymore sadly and offers nothing other than running the ball into trouble or giving it away, think we will regret the signing when we take away the sentimentality from it. 

• Like 3

Line-up I'd stick with same XI from Utd, but get Moi in for Walcott. KWP in for Perraud could be a shout too.

Posted a few other places but will ask here as well - I'm going to be in Newcastle very last minute tomorrow and want to head to the game. The online tickets have been taken down but there must still be loads - does anyone know if I would be able to just pick up from St James' on the day? 

McCarthy 

kwp steohens salisu perraud

livramento jwp romeau elyounoussi

Armstrong Adams 

thats the one for me kwp Livramento combo is mouthwatering. Could also help keep saint maximum quiet if hes playing on the flank,( although he could play more central)

elyounoussi deserves a shot after his midweek performance it’s good to reward performances like that for motivation for the players just outside of the first team and since djenepo or Walcott haven’t really set the world alight in first two games why not ?

• Like 2

I seem to be in a minority but I wouldn’t play KWP and Liv together. I’d swap them around, keep things fresh and intense. Start one, tell him to go nuts for an hour, then bring on the other to do the same. When you’re other bench options include Long and Elyounoussi, I’d say that’s as good an attacking switch as we can make with our squad.

1 hour ago, hcorben said:

Line-up I'd stick with same XI from Utd, but get Moi in for Walcott. KWP in for Perraud could be a shout too.

Posted a few other places but will ask here as well - I'm going to be in Newcastle very last minute tomorrow and want to head to the game. The online tickets have been taken down but there must still be loads - does anyone know if I would be able to just pick up from St James' on the day? 

I'd have thought so, before they went off sale it looked like we'd only sold about 600 out of 1,722 allocation,  there's plenty left on general sale in the home end as well so if you ask at the ticket office and they say no for away end just get one in the home end. 

2 hours ago, hcorben said:

Have a spare as my son has just had second jab and is feeling pretty ill.

Think this might just be set for us to break the established pattern of playing well at St James's and still losing...tails up, early goals 3-0 to the Saints!

Okay, unrealistic we'll keep a clean sheet with two goalkeepers who appear to be trained how to pick the ball out of the net and not much else, but I'm thinking, if we set out on the front foot and dominate, there's a chance they don't get a shot on target for the whole game...still thinking how we concede...own goal I guess, doh!

11 hours ago, JRM said:

I'd have thought so, before they went off sale it looked like we'd only sold about 600 out of 1,722 allocation,  there's plenty left on general sale in the home end as well so if you ask at the ticket office and they say no for away end just get one in the home end. 

Sounds like a few more going than I thought but still plenty of tickets left should be fine 

2 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Reporter: Southampton just won 8-0 are you quaking in your boots?

Bruce: (Laughs) No. They're a good team with good attacking talent but we aren't quaking in our boots.

Thanks, useful insight 👍

I like Steve Bruce, always seems honest enough manager who gets a hard time, their fans seem to want him out so hopefully will work in our favour. 

13 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I seem to be in a minority but I wouldn’t play KWP and Liv together. I’d swap them around, keep things fresh and intense. Start one, tell him to go nuts for an hour, then bring on the other to do the same. When you’re other bench options include Long and Elyounoussi, I’d say that’s as good an attacking switch as we can make with our squad.

I'm not keen on attacking fullbacks suddenly being asked to play in midfield. Despite it bing roughly the same area of the pitch, its a different role, often requiring the player to make very different decisions and play with back to goal a lot more. Some fullbacks have made the transition such as Bale, but not sure its ever seamless. I'm with you, lets get the most out of them in their proper position.

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm not keen on attacking fullbacks suddenly being asked to play in midfield. Despite it bing roughly the same area of the pitch, its a different role, often requiring the player to make very different decisions and play with back to goal a lot more. Some fullbacks have made the transition such as Bale, but not sure its ever seamless. I'm with you, lets get the most out of them in their proper position.

Livramento played in midfield throughout his time at Chelsea. 

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Livramento played in midfield throughout his time at Chelsea. 

Correct. Bale was a winger, converted to full back, then reverted to being a winger / forward. Although we signed Livramento as a full back, it doesn't mean he'll stay there if he can offer the same or more further up the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

That was his main position at Chelsea? I must be wrong but I thought he was an attacking full back who sometimes played further forward?

Sometimes winger, sometimes fullback. You can even see him playing both positions in all the YouTube footage, he is wearing number 7 when in midfield and 2 as a fullback.

Edited by Matthew Le God

All the better for us then. I'd like to see him in midfield too but Chez made a good point when she said keep one on the bench and have a quality replacement ready to come on when he tires. We rarely have genuine quality players to bring off the bench, so perhaps rotate Livra and KWP to keep them happy and unleash one alongside Shane Long at 60 minutes to put the fear of god into the opposition.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

All the better for us then. I'd like to see him in midfield too but Chez made a good point when she said keep one on the bench and have a quality replacement ready to come on when he tires. We rarely have genuine quality players to bring off the bench, so perhaps rotate Livra and KWP to keep them happy and unleash one alongside Shane Long at 60 minutes to put the fear of god into the opposition.

I mentioned in my comment on the MU game that I wondered if that was the rationale for having KWP on the bench. I'd agree with your comment apart from the Long bit... how about Broja?

32 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

You lost me when you called Chez as a "she" and the idea of bringing Shane Long on at 60 minutes to "put the fear of God" into the Geordies.  Top post apart from that.

Just now, niceandfriendly said:

She's called Chez so I assumed... she's a female? Oops, did I just misgender somebody?

No big deal.  And there are several very good "she" posters about.....Suewhistle being one of them.   Pretty sure though that Chez (excellent poster) is a bloke.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, austsaint said:

No big deal.  And there are several very good "she" posters about.....Suewhistle being one of them.   Pretty sure though that Chez (excellent poster) is a bloke.

Do we need pronouns added to the profiles?

Its all the rage on LinkedIn.

Just about to leave with the boy for the game. I have mixed feelings about this with our recent record, but Newcastle are all over the place. This is one of about 6/7 away games that I will be going into looking for all 3 points, so will be very disappointed if we lose. 

I went into the Everton game with no expectations for a win, and at half time I was extremely surprised, but at full time I was saying to the boy that this is a Saints away game that’s how it goes the majority of the time and I was upbeat (for a defeat). IF we lose today he will see a different slightly angrier dad. 

I’m going for a 2-3. With the new additions and Wednesdays win, I am slightly more optimistic about the season ahead, but it could all be blind faith and hope for the boy in his first season of going regularly. 🤞 

• Like 1

Morale is higher in our camp than theirs but Bruce is a wily old bastard who will no doubt play negative football to counteract anything we do. 

This is a big test of how much we've improved. Newcastle should be below us at the end of the season. 

Draw today though. 2-2.

Walcott should be on the bench after his "performances". Not sure Redmond is the answer, he tends to be even more ineffective on the right side and Djenepo isn't suited to playing on the right as well. For me Elyounoussi should get a chance even if the two RB option perhaps could work (hard to judge how Livramento would work higher up the pitch). 

This could set the tone for what the rest of the season plays out like

I am cautiously optimistic but expecting to feel downbeat after coming away with a draw from a good performance that feels like we threw away.

2-2 Armstrong, Adams - hopefully an assist from Livramento as he's in my FPL team today

12 minutes ago, Topcat said:

Look on the bright side.  After this weekend we will not be bottom.  Arsenal will be beneath us....

Ooh, so they will. I was round aged mum's when the 2-0 came up on her telly, which led me to comment that their manager would be on the way soon. She knows enough about football to have given me an extra phone call about the 8-0 win!

Comment on The Guardian MBM: "Poor Cedric and his utter uselessness."

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newcastle 2-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic