Newcastle 2-2 Saints - Match Thread

Saint Matty 76

They've just been dumped out of the cup on pens. Expect a reaction on Saturday.

I'd expect us to press them as well as we have done in the last two games though, I think they'd struggle to contain the press if we're on it.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I'm expecting them to turn up looking like Bayern Munich against us like they usually do.

Dream scenario is if we can pick them off on the break and watch the crowd turn. 

Not so sure they manage any scintillating football against us - think it's more a case of we just hand it to them on a plate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, warwicksaint said:

Think it would be harsh to drop Stephens and Djenepo after the United game, they both looked decent. Agreed about walcott though, push Livramento to right wing and play KWP. And Forster is goal please 

Yep; couldn't/shouldn't drop Stephens or Djenepo after their performances - they have to be rewarded by keeping their places.  Really hope he starts with both KWP and Tino.   The bench is going to look strong.

A positive week so far for us Saints fans, a draw with Utd and an away win of thumping proportions.....can guess how this will play out.

Would like to see this team : 

Forster

KWP Stephens Salisu Perraud 

JWP Romeu

Livramento                 Djenepo

Armstrong     Adams

Jack Black Reaction GIF

Edited by skintsaint
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

A positive week so far for us Saints fans, a draw with Utd and an away win of thumping proportions.....can guess how this will play out.

Would like to see this team : 

Forster

KWP Stephens Salisu Perraud 

JWP Romeu

Livramento                 Djenepo

Armstrong     Adams

Jack Black Reaction GIF

Agree with that, with lots to come off the bench.

I mean Newcastle suck but we never seem to do well in this fixture, even when they had 9 men. I also presume they will now have Willock available to start which will give them a boost. 

I doubt he'll drop McCarthy with that new contract seems pretty obvious he is the no.1 for this season at least. 

Interesting to see if Ralph does anything tactically against Saint-Maximin, as he is basically their main threat. A Tino/KWP right side could help with that as I he likes operate from the left quite a lot. 

Newcastle also playing wingbacks I think at the moment, so he might do a Southgate and match them up. 

11 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Mike Dean's on VAR so put your mortgage on a Newcastle penalty or a Saints red card.  

Oh FFS. How is that awful c*nt still allowed to ref PL games? 

The refereeing in this summer's Euros was excellent, and it highlighted just how bad it was in the Prem last season. Dean epitomises everything that is wrong with PL refs. He's a dinosaur that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a whistle or a VAR monitor.

• Like 8

This is quite an important game, I think. A chance to build some real momentum ahead of two tough matches. On the other hand, lose and then lose to City and WHU and we're looking at one point from the first 5 league games with Chelsea to play in the 7th.

If we can get a few points on the board now then after the Chelsea match we go into a nicer run, having played 3 of the likely top 4 in our first 7 matches. 

Let's hope we can build on last night and get off to a good start on Saturday. No reason why we can't win, although I do still fear we will leak soft goals.

• Like 3

Ralph has a selection headache no doubt. My choice would be:
Forster
Tino - Stephens - Salisu - Perraud

JWP - Romeu

Ely - Djenepo

Adams - Armstrong

Obviously McCarthy will play and be hopeless. KWP on for Perraud after an hour, Redmond on for either of the no 10's if one is having a stinker, and i would love to see Broja or Tella on for Armstrong with 15 to go.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

At least Andy Carroll isn't there for his traditional 'get fit just in time to play Saints, then come of the bench, elbow someone and don't get sent off, set up the winner, then get crocked for four months next game.'

His performance against us a couple of years ago was mad, barely played for years either side but turned in to prime Pele and destroyed us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Hopefully Tom Leach asks this question at the press conference at 4pm today, as he liked my Tweet...

It's a question quite a few would like answered.   If Ralph isn't considering it, many will be disappointed/dismayed.

Ideally: 

Forster; KWP, Stephens, Salisu, Perraud; Livramento, JWP, Romeu, (open discussion); Armstrong, Adams

Normal world I’d have S. Armstrong in there but if he’s injured then I think it’s anyone’s guess, Ely on a high albeit against a L2 team, Redmond too, and Tella; Djenepo and Walcott just haven’t proved they can hack it. Livramento higher up the pitch, he has more attacking threat than wingers previously mentioned.

If we can nick an early goal then the fans will turn quickly, problem is Newcastle has always been a bogey away game, like Everton.

Gojng for a wishful 2-1 to us.

38 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

I would start KWP at right-back for this one. Saint-Maximin plays on the left of the front two and I'd prefer his experience over Tino in that one-on-one duel. 

I would definitely play KWP and Tino (at the expense of Theo) - it would largely nullify the Saint-Maximin threat and still give us plenty of attacking pace and skill down the right. Saint-Maximin is definitely not the best back-tracker in the league.

• Like 3

So our record against Newcastle is 

Newcastle won 40

Drawn 23

Southampton won 37

But at St.James Park we have only won once since 1997, with our recent record since then being 

Won 1 Drawn 4 Lost 13

So pretty much like the trip to Everton where we had no wins since the 90’s, buy hey I’m looking forward to the trip and Newcastle our in crisis. 

Edited by Dr Who?

7 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Newcastle won 40

Drawn 23

Southampton won 37

But at St.James Park we have only won once since 1997, with our recent record since then being 

Won 1 Drawn 4 Lost 13

So pretty much like the trip to Everton no win since the 90’s, buy hey I’m looking forward to the trip and Newcastle our in crisis. 

Fucking hell that’s grim reading.

9 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Newcastle won 40

Drawn 23

Southampton won 37

Won 1 Drawn 4 Lost 13

So pretty much like the trip to Everton no win since the 90’s, buy hey I’m looking forward to the trip and Newcastle our in crisis. 

Yep not a happy hunting ground. But hey things can change.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We won under Koeman when Elia scored that double.

Yep the only time we have won since 97. I have worded that sentence better now. As I contradicted myself in the same post. 

Edited by Dr Who?

Newcastle are a team that we pretty much beat at home and lose away since when I first started going to games in the 80’s. Very rarely lose at home to them, but rarely win away. 

But every season is a new chapter. Come on we just won 8-0 away! 

43 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We won under Koeman when Elia scored that double.

And we almost contrived to throw that away as well! Wasn't that the game where Ewin was in the dugout as Koeman was in Hospital?

But yeah, this is not a usual result ground for us. We played 9 men for most of the second half last season and still contrived to lose.

But as others have said, records and runs are there to be broken. Although I said the same before Goodison.

Edited by S-Clarke

20 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Forster; Livramento, Stephens, Salisu, KWP; Romeu, JWP; Elyounoussi, Tella; Adams, Armstrong.

Subs: McCarthy, Bednarek, Perraud, Valery, Diallo, Djenepo, Redmond, Walcott, Broja. 

That's the team I'd pick although most likely he'll stick with Perraud.

We should not make it too easy for Livramento, he should be made to fight for his place like everyone else. Keep him hungry by not giving him a place on a plate.

We'll likely win 3-1 

4 hours ago, tajjuk said:

He should be extra motivated to be fair. 

Yep I'm sure he'll be bang up for it and can totally understand the Newcastle fans thinking he's bound to score. We'd be exactly the same if they had, I dunno, Long in their team. Actually maybe not a good example!  :shakey:

Can anyone imagine actually scoring against Saints though? Envisage you've just signed for Crystal Palace and you're up at SMS next. I think I'd roll up in a ball and cry if I scored against Southampton. They're professionals, I get it, but still... it runs too deep.

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Yep I'm sure he'll be bang up for it and can totally understand the Newcastle fans thinking he's bound to score. We'd be exactly the same if they had, I dunno, Long in their team. Actually maybe not a good example!  :shakey:

Can anyone imagine actually scoring against Saints though? Envisage you've just signed for Crystal Palace and you're up at SMS next. I think I'd roll up in a ball and cry if I scored against Southampton. They're professionals, I get it, but still... it runs too deep.

So you would not kiss your Palace badge while doing a knee slide in front of the chapel?

On 25/08/2021 at 22:49, Harry_SFC said:

Forster; Livramento, Stephens, Salisu, KWP; Romeu, JWP; Elyounoussi, Tella; Adams, Armstrong.

Subs: McCarthy, Bednarek, Perraud, Valery, Diallo, Djenepo, Redmond, Walcott, Broja. 

The line-up we all want but are unlikely to get I think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jamesfp1 said:

The line-up we all want but are unlikely to get I think.

Think Ralph will stick with Walcott. He seems to have a blind spot where he's concerned and will probably include him based on the fact that we led at half time in both our games so why change it. Hope he drops him but I don't expect him to.

• Confused 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newcastle 2-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic