Adam Armstrong

Edmonton Saint

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Saints wise, Colin Clarke immediately sprung to mind, but not even sure he came alive. Definitely a fat bloke waddling about.

The `do fuck all but put the ball in the back of the net' description  made me think of Robbie Fowler for some reason, can't recall if he had an all round game or not, but the king of all poachers in the modern game has to have been Filippo Inzaghi

Colin Clarke scored some screamers for saints .. definitely wasn’t a poacher ! Lacked pace as was lumpy but boy could he finish! Great in the air too .

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chris cooper said:

Colin Clarke scored some screamers for saints .. definitely wasn’t a poacher ! Lacked pace as was lumpy but boy could he finish! Great in the air too .

Yep. I remember a game at anfield in the late 80's. He gave their back 4 the run around, and capped it off with a goal from a diving header. Good player. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Chez said:

The `do fuck all but put the ball in the back of the net' description  made me think of Robbie Fowler for some reason, can't recall if he had an all round game or not, but the king of all poachers in the modern game has to have been Filippo Inzaghi

Robbie Fowler was a poacher extraordinaire. I remember his performance for Cardiff down here. He didn't score that day, and he was a lazy sod, but his movement was something else and great to watch. On another day he could have had a hat trick. Rush was the same. 

6 minutes ago, TWar said:

Real battle up top now. Excellent game for Adams, dribbling us out of danger and holding it up well. Armstrong with an absolute belter!

Yes, any talk of Armstrong only being Championship quality should now finish.  Sublime strike; lots of running channels and deft touches. We now have three strikers with quite different qualities.    The Ings - Armstrong business with Broja on loan is looking better by the day.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TWar said:

Real battle up top now. Excellent game for Adams, dribbling us out of danger and holding it up well. Armstrong with an absolute belter!

Agree both played very well tonight. Lead from the from and probably the best I’ve seen from Adams in a saints shirt. 

I do still Have my doubts about their composure in front of goal and for that reason I still think we should play Borja with probably Armstrong. 

But credit where it’s due, both very good and either could have been MOTM for me. 

14 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Yes, any talk of Armstrong only being Championship quality should now finish.  Sublime strike; lots of running channels and deft touches. We now have three strikers with quite different qualities.    The Ings - Armstrong business with Broja on loan is looking better by the day.

That flick was filthy, shame he couldnt latch onto the second touch.

On 30/10/2021 at 21:07, benjii said:

I thought he played very well today. He didn’t miss a “sitter”. He missed a decent but not straightforward chance but also fashioned a number of good efforts which were narrow misses and on another day could have scored 3. 

He also put one on a plate for Adams, who did miss a sitter!

He looked after the ball well and got into good positions. He’s a decent player and one thing we have now is genuine competition up front, which is great.

Hopefully, moany, clueless twats don’t get on his back.

This.

Another underappreciated aspect of Arma was he was dropping deeper and dictating play by passing into the channels. One specifically where he held the ball up nicely and spread it into KWP which looked very impressive.

Also, is very very two footed. This guy could be a star if he can concentrate a little and work on decision making. His dribbling is also really good.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Saint_clark said:

Broja and Adams up top for a spell please Ralph.

Broja was hardly better. Checked back for no reason at the end when he had a chance to win it.

I think Armstrong is not playing great at the moment, but I think he is worth sticking with personally.

• Like 3

Just now, TWar said:

Broja was hardly better. Checked back for no reason at the end when he had a chance to win it.

I think Armstrong is not playing great at the moment, but I think he is worth sticking with personally.

the ball stuck up top with Broja more, he worked their defenders, allowed us to get back up the pitch.  Armstrong, well....

• Like 1

As I said the other day, He's like a young Shane Long. Sadly that equates to him not being very good.

He will get you tons of goals in the Champ, but probably never more than a handful at this level. Lots of running, no real purpose to his running though. Very hectic, not very accomplished with his touch or technique, very much a hit and run type style to his game and that's not going to get you far at this level.

Time will tell obviously and I hope I eat my words, but the signs aren't good from what I'm seeing.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, TWar said:

Broja looked far more of a handful than Armstrong tonight. Caused Leicester plenty of problems with his pace, power and skill. Armstrong does everything at 100mph which unfortunately means when he goes to check back he is going so fast he always loses his balance. I'm prepared to give him a chance and he has scored two cracking goals but he needs to offer more than he is at present. Time to give Broja a run in the side.

3 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

I’m still holding on to the hope he’s going to come good like J-Rod did when he took a bit of time to step up, however it’s not looking promising.

Today he wasn’t great but generally i think he’s been lively and scored a couple of cracking goals. It’s not like i look round and see some alternative gem we missed out on for the money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Broja looked far more of a handful than Armstrong tonight. Caused Leicester plenty of problems with his pace, power and skill. Armstrong does everything at 100mph which unfortunately means when he goes to check back he is going so fast he always loses his balance. I'm prepared to give him a chance and he has scored two cracking goals but he needs to offer more than he is at present. Time to give Broja a run in the side.

I don't think Broja was much of a handful at all actually. I don't think he had much of an impact outside of the time he should have scored but cut back for no reason and lost it.

• Like 1

I wasn’t able to watch the game today so can’t comment on tonight’s performance. But from previous games he strikes me as someone ego needs to play on instinct.

This is probably fine at Blackburn last season when there’s Harvey Elliot creating changes for you in a lower league. But for Saints there’s still such a gaping lack of creativity the strikers are too often trying to forge their own opportunities. And in that set-up Armstrong seems to overthink it and drive himself into dead-ends.

Get someone creative into midfield who can construct chances for him, I’m sure he’d be reasonably decent - though I don’t he’ll ever be a world-beater in this league. This transfer window we’ve signed some decent players, but I don’t think we’ve thought about how well they’ll integrate into our team and Armstrong is the prime example of this.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

As I said the other day, He's like a young Shane Long. Sadly that equates to him not being very good.

He will get you tons of goals in the Champ, but probably never more than a handful at this level. Lots of running, no real purpose to his running though. Very hectic, not very accomplished with his touch or technique, very much a hit and run type style to his game and that's not going to get you far at this level.

Time will tell obviously and I hope I eat my words, but the signs aren't good from what I'm seeing.

No, I don't see that comparison at all.   If anything, Nathan Tella's touch and technique more closely resembles that of Shane Long.  I'm hoping, and believing Armstrong will be likened more  to a Kevin Phillips than a Shane Long as time goes on.   There's no doubt he is struggling to make an impact and is lacking  composure and confidence at the moment - give him time.     A good creative attacking midfielder would help his cause - even a Stuart Armstrong type of direct runner is more likely to bring him into the game.

4 hours ago, TWar said:

I don't think Broja was much of a handful at all actually. I don't think he had much of an impact outside of the time he should have scored but cut back for no reason and lost it.

As if we’re going to listen to the opinion of a bloke who is “impressed” by the job Rafa’s doing at Everton.

#clueless 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

9 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Today he just seemed to make bad decisions. Maybe feeling the pressure knowing he’ll be dropped but several instances where he selfishly kept the ball when we were on the break and did nothing with it.

Totally agree on the bad decisions part but not sure about the reason. He's taking a lot of shots from subpar positions (wide & outside the box) when there often are better options available. It was very apparent yesterday but he's done it all season and I hope that this is something Ralph is working on with him. As soon as other players stop starting making runs because they know AA is taking a shot anyway the problems upfront will just become bigger. 

I'm a Blackburn Rovers fan and came on here to see what you guys think so far. Please don't be offended but after reading through the pages (on this thread and others) if he's had a good game, he's Prem class. If he's not scored, he's Championship level. The honest answer is that he is probably still transitioning between the two levels. Had he been promoted with Rovers then I would have expected to have seen him take on more chances and perhaps score more goals than he has. Let's remember though, he's signed for a new team, new style, new players. It takes time. I appreciate in the Premier League you have less time to adapt but unfortunately, it happens to most players whether they're Prem class or not. 

I can only really talk about the time he was with Rovers. He joined us after a disastrous loan spell at Bolton where he was played out of position and it just didn't work. Since then he played for us on the wing and scored single figures for a few seasons. It was when Bradley Dack, our best player, got injured for 2 years with ACL injuries that he actually really stepped up and became the main star. The added responsibility to score goals meant he couldn't shy away and he hit 17 and then 29 goals last year for a poor Blackburn team.

Living in Southampton I see a lot of the games and have kept a close eye on Arma. The main difference I can see is that he is trying to adapt to a completely different team style. He is being less selfish than he was at Blackburn and I am wondering whether that's because he's still trying to form relationships and partnerships within the team or perhaps the manager is trying to tweak his game. Personally, I think he's at his best when he wants the ball all the time and is greedy in front of goal. I can kind of see him doing that more but maybe, as mentioned above, he isn't quite as relaxed as he knows he may not play the next game.

Anyway, at the end of the day, goals do the talking for strikers. I really hope he does well for Saints. He was well liked at Blackburn on and off the pitch by both the players and the fans. Hopefully with the support from Saints he will go on to become a player that you head into games hoping he is the person a chance falls to. Just give him time because he's proven already that he has explosive pace, an eye for goal in a difficult league, and he is a top lad. He will deliver. If not, send him back to us! 😂

Good luck guys!

Edited by Tim Southampton Rover
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Tim Southampton Rover said:

I'm a Blackburn Rovers fan and came on here to see what you guys think so far. Please don't be offended but after reading through the pages (on this thread and others) if he's had a good game, he's Prem class. If he's not scored, he's Championship level. The honest answer is that he is probably still transitioning between the two levels. Had he been promoted with Rovers then I would have expected to have seen him take on more chances and perhaps score more goals than he has. Let's remember though, he's signed for a new team, new style, new players. It takes time. I appreciate in the Premier League you have less time to adapt but unfortunately, it happens to most players whether they're Prem class or not. 

I can only really talk about the time he was with Rovers. He joined us after a disastrous loan spell at Bolton where he was played out of position and it just didn't work. Since then he played for us on the wing and scored single figures for a few seasons. It was when Bradley Dack, our best player, got injured for 2 years with ACL injuries that he actually really stepped up and became the main star. The added responsibility to score goals meant he couldn't shy away and he hit 17 and then 29 goals last year for a poor Blackburn team.

Living in Southampton I see a lot of the games and have kept a close eye on Arma. The main difference I can see is that he is trying to adapt to a completely different team style. He is being less selfish than he was at Blackburn and I am wondering whether that's because he's still trying to form relationships and partnerships within the team or perhaps the manager is trying to tweak his game. Personally, I think he's at his best when he wants the ball all the time and is greedy in front of goal. I can kind of see him doing that more but maybe, as mentioned above, he isn't quite as relaxed as he knows he may not play the next game.

Anyway, at the end of the day, goals do the talking for strikers. I really hope he does well for Saints. He was well liked at Blackburn on and off the pitch by both the players and the fans. Hopefully with the support from Saints he will go on to become a player that you head into games hoping he is the person a chance falls to. Just give him time because he's proven already that he has explosive pace, an eye for goal in a difficult league, and he is a top lad. He will deliver. If not, send him back to us! 😂

Good luck guys!

Thanks for this! I have faith in him, he's young and this is his first proper top flight season. He will get his chance. He has blistering pace and he dribbles very well. His decision making is easily his worst trait imo, keeps shooting when he should pass, or spending too long to pass. Hopefully confidence and time will improve that.

I still think he'll be great.