Adam Armstrong

Edmonton Saint

Just now, DarrenLeTiss said:

Can we criticize him yet? Scored on his debut against Everton, fluffed his lines against United and hasn’t looked like scoring since. Don’t know where our goals are coming from , at least with Adams and Armstrong we have a ready made strike pair for the championship next season.

could have had a prime Shearer up front today...did we create one real chance?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Verbal Kint said:

Why? Because he runs around a lot? So does Redmond, so does Elyounoussi, so does Djenepo. They're all shit

No, because he had some good touches and passes and having seen him finish in the pass if he'd actually been put through on goal by one of his teammates I believe he'd finish more often than not. 

Djenepo was also very good when he came on, should have started, you clearly need to let the red mist clear - and if you think I'm a happy clapper, this game has tipped me into the Ralph out camp.

Just now, ChrisPY said:

Poor man’s Vardy. 
Not a negative but we need to set up to suit his style if we want to get the best out of him.

This is an issue as well. Armstrong really needs to be running in behind and I don't remember the last time I saw us try and get our centreforwards through on goal.

• Like 1

He needs more time and space than you get in the Premier League, same with Adams. 

It’s an issue that is compounded by our very poor wide men who do not draw enough attention that creates the space needed. 

Ings was very good at getting the ball out of his feet quickly and giving himself a shooting opportunity, he was better at timing his runs and he was better at pouncing on mistakes. These two are not at that level.  

• Like 1

Criticise him for what exactly? One half chance in the first half aside he was feeding on scraps and was more having to create for others. I think you could make a highlight reel of him recently being in space or making good runs with his arms up screaming for the ball and the passes never come. 

Our decision making particularly by our 'no.10s' has been poor, and the midfield two are generalists, so clever through balls are not their main strengths (though very nice ball by Romeu got Adams in behind but he made the chance harder by then cutting onto his right foot instead of taking it early with his left across the keeper). 

I am also not sure about KWP on the left, it seems to cut off an avenue of attack for us. 

Final third decision making is the main issue, which I am not sure you can particularly put at the feet of Armstrong, he should be the furthest forward of all our attackers and making his runs off the shoulder, but we just don't seem to play those passes. 

We need Armstrong back and I think Perraud has to play on the left and I feel like Tella needs a go from the left. I also reckon Broja and Armstrong might work as a better combo. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 1

I think he's been alright. Scored one, won a pen, should have gotten an assist if Che's was given as his, set up a couple that should have been finished. He will be fine for 10 goals this season imo. Not a player I'm worried about. Salisu's partner on the other hand with Stephens out, that is a massive worry. Attacking mid is also a big worry with no Stu. Armstrong is not where we should be directing our concern as it stands.

We don’t create fuck all really, all side to side and no penetrating passes in between lines or in areas that create real scoring opportunities, all half chances. Nothing creative from central midfield at all and nothing from redmond so that basically leaves Tino to create chances 

It’s really harsh to be down on our forwards, we don’t give them much of a chance, our approach play and final balls are terrible. The players we have that can cause problems going forward didn’t even start yesterday, Tella, Peraud (good crosses) and Djneppo. I think they both would be ok if the midfield was functioning 

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

All this JWP assists last season bollox, seems to have dried up now he hasn’t got a 6ft 6 bloke to head in a corner… 

How much effect on a game from open play  

Anyone noticed how his corners seem to never beat the first man these days, aside the fact we have nothing of note to take advantage of corners its still frustrating.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Anyone noticed how his corners seem to never beat the first man these days, aside the fact we have nothing of note to take advantage of corners its still frustrating.

Felt like everything was either hitting the first man, or clearing the entire box, the middle ground where it would actually be dangerous seems to have vanished from his repertoire! 

17 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

He'll be fine. He's a goalscorer. I'm more concerned about the lack of creativity in midfield.

Yep; I like what I see with Armstrong - just needs the right midfielder(s) to pick out the space and channels he runs into....a Maddison style of midfielder.   Interesting to watch Ivan Toney on the weekend - has adapted quickly to the speed and intensity of the Prem and got some great service from the Brentford midfield.   I know he's a different style of striker to Armstrong but they have similar strike rates in the Championship - Toney is benefiting from the quality of Mbuemo, Wissa, Norgaard and Canos.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Yep; I like what I see with Armstrong - just needs the right midfielder(s) to pick out the space and channels he runs into....a Maddison style of midfielder.   Interesting to watch Ivan Toney on the weekend - has adapted quickly to the speed and intensity of the Prem and got some great service from the Brentford midfield.   I know he's a different style of striker to Armstrong but they have similar strike rates in the Championship - Toney is benefiting from the quality of Mbuemo, Wissa, Norgaard and Canos.

I'd say Toney doesn't have the adaptation of joining a new team. Armstrong had to completely change how he played from a front three to a front two and get used to the strengths and weaknesses of new players. It was always going to be more of a curve. 

Edited by TWar

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'd say Toney doesn't have the adaptation of joining a new team. Armstrong had to completely change how he played from a front three to a front two and get used to the strengths and weaknesses of new players. It was always going to be more of a curve. 

Good point. An upgrade in the creative midfield ranks would help though.

• 1 month later...

Didn't see a stream of the match so can't comment on his chances today, but I have a feeling he'll come good. Just a hunch.

From what I've seen he does get involved, and was instrumental in getting in positions to draw two penalties (although one was cancelled). Not as if games are passing him by as they used to with Elynoussi for example. If and when he gets a couple and the confidence goes up I think he'll prove a decent signing. 

• Like 5

I thought he played very well today. He didn’t miss a “sitter”. He missed a decent but not straightforward chance but also fashioned a number of good efforts which were narrow misses and on another day could have scored 3. 

He also put one on a plate for Adams, who did miss a sitter!

He looked after the ball well and got into good positions. He’s a decent player and one thing we have now is genuine competition up front, which is great.

Hopefully, moany, clueless twats don’t get on his back.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 13

11 minutes ago, benjii said:

I thought he played very well today. He didn’t miss a “sitter”. He missed a decent but not straightforward chance but also fashioned a number of good efforts which were narrow misses and on another day could have scored 3. 

He looked after the ball well and got into good positions. He’s a decent player and one thing we have now is genuine competition up front, which is great.

To be fair that chance along with the header are opportunities professional strikers should be getting on target at least. They were poor finishes. His movement is good though and we should afford him a bit of time just like we did Adams.

41 minutes ago, benjii said:

Agreed. He’s a good player that much is obvious. He gets himself into good positions and knows what he’s doing. The goals will come. He’s got a bit about him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Agreed. He’s a good player that much is obvious. He gets himself into good positions and knows what he’s doing. The goals will come. He’s got a bit about him.

His movement helped created our chances and gave them runaround. 
Some are clueless on judging him. Misses were frustrating but I have seen so many anonymous performances from forwards and that wasn’t one of them today.

No doubt if Macarthy didn’t make that save there would be the forum mugs calling for  Ralph to go and how everyone is better than us.

• Like 2