Dom Ballard - Official: Loaned to Reading

Saint Garrett

6 minutes ago, Tank said:

Dang it's Grealish's younger brother.

Be BOLD Ralph ... get this young guy in the A team.

I can't see why Ralph isn't blooding some of these youngsters on the bench, even if he is reluctant to play them. With eight outfield players getting named every game, there are always two or three who are very unlikely to be called upon. Sure, always have the 'spare' central defender, but do we need to have Smallbone and Diallo, and if Djenepo is Ralph's answer, I hate to think what the question might have been! So, let's get two or three experienced in first team match days, rather than shunting along those unlikely to be in stripes, (or whatever brave option is adopted), next season.

9 minutes ago, Pwoite said:

I can't see why Ralph isn't blooding some of these youngsters on the bench, even if he is reluctant to play them. With eight outfield players getting named every game, there are always two or three who are very unlikely to be called upon. Sure, always have the 'spare' central defender, but do we need to have Smallbone and Diallo, and if Djenepo is Ralph's answer, I hate to think what the question might have been! So, let's get two or three experienced in first team match days, rather than shunting along those unlikely to be in stripes, (or whatever brave option is adopted), next season.

Isn't that always the clamor though, if the team is struggling field all the youth players etc.

I'd say throwing young players into a struggling environment is counterproductive and can actually derail them entirely, you get the most out of talented young players when they are brought into a confident, fresh and stable team in my opinion. I'd argue the best time to blood some of these young players was during our run when we beat Brentford, Spurs, Norwich etc - but we are seemingly never comfortable enough in games (bar Brentford) to actually relax to give anyone a chance.

Hopefully we'll have better players in the first team next year so we can have more comfortable wins, then we'd be able to bring on some of the kids for little cameos to expose them to the environment. There are some players who will just be ready straight away, but it's still risky throwing them into a really shit team.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pwoite said:

When asked Ralph said "the problem is when we see how good he is other teams see it too"

... I thought that was SFC policy

21 minutes ago, Tank said:

When asked Ralph said "the problem is when we see how good he is other teams see it too"

It's a cunning plan, hiding all our best players until they're on long contracts with giant release clauses. Perhaps the lack of such clauses is why we've not seen AA. He's too good to risk other clubs seeing him. 🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

It's a cunning plan, hiding all our best players until they're on long contracts with giant release clauses. Perhaps the lack of such clauses is why we've not seen AA. He's too good to risk other clubs seeing him. 🙂

.....not to be too conspiratorial ..but if AA has a contract clause based on appearances ?.... we may have saved a few quid this season.

At any rate he's worth a few starts in the remaining matches....    ( Elyounoussi is the only striker to have scored for us .... in the last 9 Prem. games !)

4 hours ago, david in sweden said:

.....not to be too conspiratorial ..but if AA has a contract clause based on appearances ?.... we may have saved a few quid this season.

At any rate he's worth a few starts in the remaining matches....    ( Elyounoussi is the only striker to have scored for us .... in the last 9 Prem. games !)

If he looks remotely like scoring in training, over Long and Broja, it would seem odd to lose a couple of million for every lost place in the table, just so we could save some money on his deal. Unless we're giving his old club a 5 odd million sum, and thought we'd take a chance with a view to offloading AA in the summer.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2022 at 11:24, Tank said:

It's especially dangerous when the player in question is so young they haven't signed a pro contract, this leaves us in a perilous position if other clubs become interested.

Every top club in the country already knows how good our youngsters are because they have been playing against them in Academy games for years, however if they make a debut for the first team and look good in that environment it increases the chances of one of them muscling in and making a serious move.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Cat said:

It's especially dangerous when the player in question is so young they haven't signed a pro contract, this leaves us in a perilous position if other clubs become interested.

Every top club in the country already knows how good our youngsters are because they have been playing against them in Academy games for years, however if they make a debut for the first team and look good in that environment it increases the chances of one of them muscling in and making a serious move.

True, and another indicator of the many, non skill related, issues that impact team selection. Ballard has signed a contract. So he could get a nod. It would also be a further incentive to the others to sign once they are old enough too. Sibling etc.

The academy part of the Pathway hasn't shown anything this season in terms of the first team squad. Ideally, we'd have liked a couple more points on the board before bringing in younger players. But it's a big bench, and could bring him on if thing are going well (for a recent change).

6 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

True, and another indicator of the many, non skill related, issues that impact team selection. Ballard has signed a contract. So he could get a nod. It would also be a further incentive to the others to sign once they are old enough too. Sibling etc.

The academy part of the Pathway hasn't shown anything this season in terms of the first team squad. Ideally, we'd have liked a couple more points on the board before bringing in younger players. But it's a big bench, and could bring him on if thing are going well (for a recent change).

Partly due to the league form, partly due to the 18's fielding strong teams because they had a chance to win their league. Otherwise I expect we would have seen a few of them appear in the matchday squad, even if they didn't get on the pitch.

I imagine the club are comfortable with the U23 game time a lot of the 18's have had. That's quite a step up in itself, especially with the physical aspect of the game.

6 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Partly due to the league form, partly due to the 18's fielding strong teams because they had a chance to win their league. Otherwise I expect we would have seen a few of them appear in the matchday squad, even if they didn't get on the pitch.

I imagine the club are comfortable with the U23 game time a lot of the 18's have had. That's quite a step up in itself, especially with the physical aspect of the game.

Agree with that. The success at various levels of the club is definitely a consideration and selling point. Also being able to show that straight, early path into the senior squad is also something special, continuing that perception of the club. It's a good place for the club to be, in that respect, at the moment.

• 3 months later...
20 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Another 2 goals this weekend, wonder if we'll see him in the first team picture at all this season. Possibly on the bench at Cambridge, or towards the end of the season if we're safe with a bit of wiggle room (which lets be honest is looking unlikely)

This lad is a brilliant talent along with Edwards, Doyle and Morgan. They should be knocking on the first team door but I would rather have a manager in place who is more likely to nurture their talent rather than negatively impact it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

This lad is a brilliant talent along with Edwards, Doyle and Morgan. They should be knocking on the first team door but I would rather have a manager in place who is more likely to nurture their talent rather than negatively impact it. 

What do you mean by this? 

Personally I'd have Edwards and Doyle around the squad, and given mins off the bench, whilst playing for the B team. That's my idea of nurturing. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Are they signed up to pro contracts yet?

Just now, Turkish said:

Are they signed up to pro contracts yet?

Doyle is now, he signed after his 17th birthday earlier this month. Not sure how old Morgan is, but if he's 16 we can't toe him down yet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Doyle is now, he signed after his 17th birthday earlier this month. Not sure how old Morgan is, but if he's 16 we can't toe him down yet. 

According to transfer market Ballard has a contract that expires next year, need to get that extended quickly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

According to transfer market Ballard has a contract that expires next year, need to get that extended quickly. 

He only signed a pro deal in April this year, I doubt they only made it until next year. I'd guess at the very least it is until 2024, possibly 2025.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-04-06/dom-ballard-professional-contract-southampton-fc-april-2022

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

He only signed a pro deal in April this year, I doubt they only made it until next year. I'd guess at the very least it is until 2024, possibly 2025.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-04-06/dom-ballard-professional-contract-southampton-fc-april-2022

That makes sense then as he signed a 2 year scholarship last July they've got him down as joining 1/7/21 ended 30/6/23 so cant have updated the dates with his pro deal

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Do we ever give the 17 year olds more than 2 years for their first deal? Seems like that's the max we give for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Looked like he knew he was going to score last night, from the moment he stepped on the pitch. Huge talent. Congratulations on your first senior goal Dom! Chant needs some work…

It’s an attitude thing, the self belief. A good poacher’s goal. He did have a shot blocked in the previous attack when Mara was better placed, however, the confidence is there without the being overawed (I know it was against Cambridge but first team debut counts). 

9 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

It’s an attitude thing, the self belief. A good poacher’s goal. He did have a shot blocked in the previous attack when Mara was better placed, however, the confidence is there without the being overawed (I know it was against Cambridge but first team debut counts). 

Yup absolutely, you see it with all the great players, that they have the self belief, he certainly has that. Great to see. 

What I liked was seeing how much of a popular figure he clearly was with the rest of the squad, they all looked absolutely made up for him, Djenepo in particular. Even though it's his first appearance it really feels like he's one of the group already. 

It would have been great for the other youth players to see as well, something to strive for. Do we have room on the bench for Ballard in league games? I guess we must do, if Walcott was on the bench for Leicester.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

What I liked was seeing how much of a popular figure he clearly was with the rest of the squad, they all looked absolutely made up for him, Djenepo in particular. Even though it's his first appearance it really feels like he's one of the group already. 

It would have been great for the other youth players to see as well, something to strive for. Do we have room on the bench for Ballard in league games? I guess we must do, if Walcott was on the bench for Leicester.

Djenepo probably be happy for Hitler if he came back to life. He seems the type that just doesn't have a bad word to say about anyone.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Need to get him signed on long term.  Someone I knows son is in the England squad that Dom is in, and says he is the best player in the whole squad.  Don't want Chelsea nabbing him, especially on the cheap if they do come in.

9 minutes ago, Wadge said:

Need to get him signed on long term.  Someone I knows son is in the England squad that Dom is in, and says he is the best player in the whole squad.  Don't want Chelsea nabbing him, especially on the cheap if they do come in.

I imagine they’ve already tried……!

10 minutes ago, LGTL said:

We have some serious, serious talent coming through with this bunch. I was delighted for him last night, he was absolutely made up and why not, what a feeling it must have been for him. 

Hope we can find a happy medium between turning on them as soon as they misplace a pass and keeping them until they're 38 in the hope they'll turn world class and then on releasing them claim "they wern't given a chance"

• Haha 1

Think he needs to work a lot harder, should have scored first time last night as well. Get more games and goals under his belt for the B team and come back full of beans for the next cup tie.

*this is to motivate him for when he reads this thread.

Edited by skintsaint

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Think he needs to work a lot harder, should have scored first time last night as well. Get more games and goals under his belt for the B team and come back full of beans for the next cup tie.

*this is to motivate him for when he reads this thread.

Does he get an assist for his goal?

Just watched the pitch side video and the celebration for the goal and the way the whole team came up to congratulate him puts a great big smile on your face. Whatever happens in the future, it’s really good watching kids desperate to do well and enjoying moments like scoring their first senior goal.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Dom Ballard is now 2 years older than Theo Walcott was when he started playing regularly in the Championship. Do we think Dom is ready to start playing regularly at this level? If not, why not...? Maybe he's another Seager rather than another Walcott...?

#thinkingoutloud

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Dom Ballard is now 2 years older than Theo Walcott was when he started playing regularly in the Championship. Do we think Dom is ready to start playing regularly at this level? If not, why not...? Maybe he's another Seager rather than another Walcott...?

#thinkingoutloud

I'd like to see him more this season. Should at least be coming off the bench in most games.

• Like 2

Young players have to learn the game however good they are, which is why some players start like world beaters  and then come to a grinding halt before they push on or not. Players can improve at any time and some are ready ar a younger age than others. JWP took plenty of stick for not being the finished article at 22. Chez Adams is still improving in my opinion, Alan Shearer didn't start scoring regularly straight away despite his first game hat trick . Just because a player is behind others at 18 or 19 doesn't mean he will stay there.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tom & Gerry said:

Young players have to learn the game however good they are, which is why some players start like world beaters  and then come to a grinding halt before they push on or not. Players can improve at any time and some are ready ar a younger age than others. JWP took plenty of stick for not being the finished article at 22. Chez Adams is still improving in my opinion, Alan Shearer didn't start scoring regularly straight away despite his first game hat trick . Just because a player is behind others at 18 or 19 doesn't mean he will stay there.

I agree with that in the main, but the lad won't learn his trade on the bench. He needs minutes. If we won't give them to him, he needs a spell on loan to develop himself in men's football. He'll learn nothing more playing u21 matches.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I agree with that in the main, but the lad won't learn his trade on the bench. He needs minutes. If we won't give them to him, he needs a spell on loan to develop himself in men's football. He'll learn nothing more playing u21 matches.

Always a chance he gets a loan depending on arrivals. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, egg said:

It's early days in a long season, if he has the strength as much as the ability at he will get the chance at some stage one way or the other.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Dom Ballard - Official: Loaned to Reading