Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

56 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Apologies for not getting excited about this one. Expect he will be our JWP replacement. 

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

More likely a Romeu/Diallo replacement.

He doesn't need to be a replacement for any of them leaving.

2 central midfielder positions, 4 players competing for them! Healthy squad competition.

I wonder whether JwP should be utilised further forward and not as on of the 2 midfielders in front of the defence. 

His main skills are obviously crossing and passing and his shooting has improved so if he's further upfield more we might get more out of our strikers?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I wonder whether JwP should be utilised further forward and not as on of the 2 midfielders in front of the defence. 

His main skills are obviously crossing and passing and his shooting has improved so if he's further upfield more we might get more out of our strikers?

Definitely an option and if we got someone like that Austrian fella up front then would make sense to have him in more positions where he can cross the ball effectively. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chez said:

Wasn't he part of that very good Austria side in Euro 2020? I am trying to remember who shined in that side. Wasn't it his long haired team mate Grillitsch that stood out? Is he available this summer too?

I think Laimer was the Austrian MF they were going on about last summer, but Grillitsch is good DM, and is a free agent having let his contract at Hoffenheim run down. Will be bigger clubs  in the hunt though. 

Shame Ralph can't sell them 'the Tyrol on Solent' card to bring Grillitsch and Kalajdzic in. 

6 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

How could you say it would be a bargain if nobody has ever heard of him. I'd call it a speculative gamble and probably a waste of money.

1) You not being aware of a player does not mean nobody has. He even played vs Saints recently!

2) If Saints do want him, he'd have been scouted over a long period. So not a speculative gamble.

3) Why write a player you hadn't heard of off as a waste of money?

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Saints have had recent first hand experience of him...

Looks better than half our team already, although sadly not romeu and jwp. He would provide excellent competition and cover for those 2. I'd take him for less than 10m in a heartbeat. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

How could you say it would be a bargain if nobody has ever heard of him. I'd call it a speculative gamble and probably a waste of money.

This place is becoming a parody of itself. He plays in the championship, hardly obscure.

Edited by Restark19
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Looks better than half our team already, although sadly not romeu and jwp. He would provide excellent competition and cover for those 2. I'd take him for less than 10m in a heartbeat. 

Looks quality, far more comfortable on the ball than many of our existing players from this game against our own Premier League level players 😆

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Hahahaha I've just slagged the championship off in another thread so it may not be obscure but let's call it a 90s premier League quality.

I mean it's the 2nd division, funnily enough that means that overall the quality will be lower than the league above it. It doesn't mean that there aren't players there who can make the step up to the required level

1 minute ago, ally_uk said:

I remember watching the play offs and that obrian lad at Huddersfield could do a  job for us. 

Nah he plays in the championship, must be crap

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Why? Where's the evidence that it would be a waste? Swansea fans reckon he's class and could easily make the step up. 

14 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

I remember watching the play offs and that obrian lad at Huddersfield could do a  job for us. 

Him and Garner were the standout midfielders from the play-offs. I like the idea of Collwill as well, should Bednarek + one of Stephens/Lyanco go this summer. Unfortunately, we were a year too late on Guehi, but he’s progressed magnificently after leaving Chelsea for Palace in a year.

19 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

We should go all out and get Caleta-Car. An elite level centre back. 

With you. When we were looking for CBs last summer, he looked the standout CB. Really committed and powerful player. Are we not done at CB though?

34 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

His passing looks good but then I thought that about Diallo so who knows

I like Diallo.  I feel like he needs a run to get some rhythm.  The problem is, I'm not convinced he's exactly the midfield type we needed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I think Laimer was the Austrian MF they were going on about last summer, but Grillitsch is good DM, and is a free agent having let his contract at Hoffenheim run down. Will be bigger clubs  in the hunt though. 

Shame Ralph can't sell them 'the Tyrol on Solent' card to bring Grillitsch and Kalajdzic in. 

Grillitsch is linked with Fiorentina and Roma. Available on a free. 

I don't recall Laimer from euro 2020, but he certainly looks like he can play.

31 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

We should go all out and get Caleta-Car. An elite level centre back. 

I would appreciate the signing just for the bizarre news articles which feel the need to re-name him as Caleta-Automobile.

...if we sign him it could be a good indicator of the board's level of drive.

8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I like Diallo.  I feel like he needs a run to get some rhythm.  The problem is, I'm not convinced he's exactly the midfield type we needed.

he cant play DM. Or at least from what I have seen so far he can't. Positionally doesn't have a clue. He's got something, but I have yet to see him dominate a game. He is a pale comparison of the player he looked in the youtube videos. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restark19 said:

This place is becoming a parody of itself. He plays in the championship, hardly obscure.

It’s mad. I thought Downes stood out like a sore thumb when we played Swansea. It was a really impressive performance and anyone who took half an interest in that game would have taken note of him.

I’m sure if you go back to the match thread, instead of commenting on the game people were just frothing at the mouth about Ralph’s team selection for 120 minutes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

he cant play DM. Or at least from what I have seen so far he can't. Positionally doesn't have a clue. He's got something, but I have yet to see him dominate a game. He is a pale comparison of the player he looked in the youtube videos. 

Kind've feel like he'd be best as the "Essien" of the classic 3-man Chelsea central midfield. 

Isn't a DM & isn't an AMC.  But can do the box-to-box something between the 2.

• Like 1

Feels like even with our existing squad we would suit a 4-3-3 in theory.

In reality, you really need all the front three to be goal threats and we don't have that from our batch of #10s. 

It would end up as 4-5-1 and the striker would be hugely isolated.

Whilst there are issues with the 4-2-2-2 it does enable a press and when done well it does mean we can be a threat on the counter as the ball winners have forward options to pass to. Broja when on form was brilliant in that system.

I don't think Ralph will change to 4-3-3 as our wide forwards would spend so much time in their own half rather than the opponents.

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Kind've feel like he'd be best as the "Essien" of the classic 3-man Chelsea central midfield. 

Isn't a DM & isn't an AMC.  But can do the box-to-box something between the 2.

Essien. What a player. Certainly not the first name that came to mind when thinking of Diallo's best role.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Essien. What a player. Certainly not the first name that came to mind when thinking of Diallo's best role.

I knew I’d be in trouble if I named a player. I just meant he’s not a DM & he’s not an AMC. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Sensible transfers - Tifosi Football - Athletic

https://theathletic.com/3382831/2022/06/27/southampton-transfers-christoph-baumgartner/

Every transfer window, we create a video series for the Tifo Football YouTube channel called Sensible Transfers.

In that series, we analyse the problem areas within teams, and suggest solutions in the form of incoming players. It’s a fantasy, but a fun one.

Today, it’s Southampton…

As you’d expect from a team who conceded way too many goals last season, Southampton have moved early to strengthen the base of Ralph Hasenhuttl’s 4-2-2-2. Gavin Bazunu has joined from Manchester City, Mateusz Lis will provide further goalkeeping depth, and centre-back Armel Bella-Kotchap has been signed from the Bundesliga’s Bochum. 

Together, those three account for more than £20million and without a major sale, that’s likely a big chunk of the summer budget spent already. Well spent, perhaps, but gone nonetheless and Hasenhuttl still needs to broaden his attacking options. Particularly behind the forward line, where he needs some variation among and improvement upon his wide No 10s.

All of his existing players have virtues, but they each have their flaws too. Mohamed Elyounoussi’s decision making often isn’t the best, Stuart Armstrong now has physical limitations impacting his availability, and Nathan Redmond’s tangible output isn’t what it could be. Moussa Djenepo is certainly gifted, but whether he’s really suited to Hasenhuttl is another question. In the past, the Austrian has spoken of Djenepo’s instinctive style of play and how, at times, that’s made it difficult to evolve him into the kind of component that would really suit this side. With just one year left on his contract, it wouldn’t be a surprise if Djenepo wasn’t part of this conversation come September.

But the real problem to address is area, rather than player specific: whatever combination is used, the band of two behind the forwards lack goals, but are also short on craft, guile and — above all — speed. The addition of a player who could offer a threat closer to the touchline as well as in-field, while also bringing more menace to Hasenhuttl’s “red zone”, would feel like a big step forward.

Hoffenheim’s Christoph Baumgartner is our pick. He’s 22, an Austrian international, and fits the description above near-perfectly. He spent last season playing behind the forward line in a 3-4-1-2, so any move would involve a change in system and role, but he has a deep suitability to Hasenhuttl’s style of play.

Using smarterscout data, which gives players a rating from 0-99, relating to either how often they do a given action compared with others playing in their position (such as the ball recoveries and interceptions), or how effective they are (such as how well they progress the ball upfield) we can look at Baumgartner’s quality in each metric.

He presses extremely well, he was averaging 7.20 attacking third pressures per 90 minutes in the Bundesliga last season, and he’s certainly a good enough athlete to be of great value in attacking transitions. He’s excellent when it comes to disrupting opposition moves (83, as shown in the chart below) and defending with intensity (60) which will only prove valuable to Hasenhuttl’s Southampton. 

pizza_christoph_baumgartner_CM_2021-22.p

But he’s not a brawny type; he’s an elegant player. He’s an upright dribbler, ranking above average on the carries he initiates (60), who seems to glide with the ball, but who beats defenders with little bursts of acceleration. Actually, despite only being 5ft 10in, he runs with a long stride and seems to push away from opponents very easily; it’s that deceptive speed that players sometimes have. And, perhaps surprisingly, he rates well in aerial duels (red bars above), with a rating of 95.

More importantly, he’s also versatile enough to provide that threat in a range of attacking positions. And that’s what Southampton need. The seven goals he scored last season also speak to a finishing ability and shot volume (90) that they could with, too. Conveniently, he also possesses a battery of creative abilities which – we will not mark him out as a traditional No.10, he’s by no means a scheming playmaker – make him suited to the more dynamic version of the position that exists at Southampton. He does so many things well and should be available for within the region of £20m

Dunno how realistic signing Baumgartner would be but looks a cracking player, two footed, can beat players, hard working and decent shot on him too. Ideal player for the 4 2 2 2.   Seems like he plays on the left a fair bit too so that’s a bonus.