Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Pretty sure that was the case, as he certainly fits that profile, but he badly needs to improve the defensive side of his game. He's still very young though. Definitely has the potential to be our left sided version of KWP.

Yep. He came with high hopes of being a left sided Tino but isn't there yet. Interesting that he's sitting on the bench at Port Vale and not playing. Hopefully that changes as he's better off playing B team football here than warming a bench elsewhere.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Pretty sure that was the case, as he certainly fits that profile, but he badly needs to improve the defensive side of his game. He's still very young though. Definitely has the potential to be our left sided version of KWP.

I wonder if the club thought he'd be ready for that role sooner? Obviously they weren't scared to through Broja or Tino in, but there was hesitancy around Small. In the few appearances he's made for us (FA Cup and pre-season) he's looked so far off it sadly. 

Season at Port Vale may do him good, but he's not starting for them in L1. I think the club needs to be looking for a LB to bridge the gap between Small being ready, as he looks miles away atm.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:
  would imagine this is more if KWP left. He’d be too expensive to sign for cover.

Excellent player, would be a great signing. But as has already been said, can only see us signing him if we think KWP is likely to go and even then not sure he’d come to us. 

If there is any interest from Wolves in Ramos then it would be a tough job to persuade him to join us over them.

Used to be coached by Lage, seven Portuguese in their starting 11 and look like a decent side that are missing a no9.

They will obviously sign a striker so hopefully they aren't in for him for some reason.

11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If there is any interest from Wolves in Ramos then it would be a tough job to persuade him to join us over them.

Used to be coached by Lage, seven Portuguese in their starting 11 and look like a decent side that are missing a no9.

They will obviously sign a striker so hopefully they aren't in for him for some reason.

Why? this guy might be good or not but he is not Ronaldo. A lot of money for a less experienced Carillo. Im not convinced. Not bothered!

Give me Belloti every day over this guy

1 hour ago, egg said:

Yep. He came with high hopes of being a left sided Tino but isn't there yet. Interesting that he's sitting on the bench at Port Vale and not playing. Hopefully that changes as he's better off playing B team football here than warming a bench elsewhere.

Although he has shown obvious ability at youth levels, he seems totally the wrong build for a full back. Perhaps it doesnt matter but something's not right for me.

He reminded me of that stocky winger Fulham had, Kamara, who was ok to be fair but not a world beater.

Also perhaps the thing he needs to learn at Port Vale is that it's not just us who think he's not ready

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

7 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Why? this guy might be good or not but he is not Ronaldo. A lot of money for a less experienced Carillo. Im not convinced. Not bothered!

Give me Belloti every day over this guy

Yep wolves build up play is excellent all over the pitch .. making spuds look average atm .. the are screaming out for a no.9 .. here comes Jimenez.. hope he does well cos I can see ramos slotting in here .. beggers why wolves haven’t enquired .. is ramos good enough!? 

• Haha 1

A lot of big name/big price strikers that come from abroad, unless they’re already “world class”, then they tend to struggle to adapt to the Premier League based on previous.

Osvaldo, Carrillo, Fabio Silva, Tosun, Pepé etc.

For the all this hype of Gonçalo Ramos part of me just thinks he’s a slightly quicker Che Adams. 🤷🏻‍♂️
But then as I’ve said before I know very little of him.

I'm torn now about where we should invest our funds. I do think another striker is necessary because after Mara and Adams we only have Armstrong, but I wonder if we should be looking for another younger player as backup and spending more money on a more creative AM/left back.

6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I wonder if the club thought he'd be ready for that role sooner? Obviously they weren't scared to through Broja or Tino in, but there was hesitancy around Small. In the few appearances he's made for us (FA Cup and pre-season) he's looked so far off it sadly. 

Season at Port Vale may do him good, but he's not starting for them in L1. I think the club needs to be looking for a LB to bridge the gap between Small being ready, as he looks miles away atm.

absolutely this. What I saw of Small, he looks a very powerful lad, and he might actually transition into a CB. Perraud is very workmanlike. We need to sign someone that perhaps has a higher ceiling. Someone with more pace and technical ability. We have multiple players for every position except left back. How was Djenepo today i a more standard left back role?

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

absolutely this. What I saw of Small, he looks a very powerful lad, and he might actually transition into a CB. Perraud is very workmanlike. We need to sign someone that perhaps has a higher ceiling. Someone with more pace and technical ability. We have multiple players for every position except left back. How was Djenepo today i a more standard left back role?

I don't think Leicester tested him much, as they didn't really play wide as such - but he did what was asked of him, kept tight, tracked his runners, didn't get too excited and venture miles up the pitch. I like his attitude, he's dug in and done a job today I have to say.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Just hope todays result doesn’t make us complacent in the market, we still need a a decent striker.

a quality number ten wouldn’t go amiss either 

One game isn't going to change anything, just the same as a defeat wouldn't have forced us down the road of buying 11 new players. We know what we're doing, we have our targets that are right for us, not knee jerked panic additions.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Just hope todays result doesn’t make us complacent in the market, we still need a a decent striker.

a quality number ten wouldn’t go amiss either 

And a CB. With Stephens and Bednarek likely on the move, we definitely need another. Salisu and ABK were excellent today but we need a more experienced CB for them to compete with. Lyanco is squad quality at best

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

Ings, Watkins, Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho yet they’ve now signed Sarr. 

be surprised if they didn’t move on one of the existing 5.

Villa fans are a bit confused by this as well, mainly because they don't play with 'wide players'. They think it's a waste of their budget and scattergun, and it's hard to disagree.

Coutinho was a bit of a pointless statement signing for them, he's way past his best and doesn't seem to be able to hack this league (or any league) anymore.

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Villa fans are a bit confused by this as well, mainly because they don't play with 'wide players'. They think it's a waste of their budget and scattergun, and it's hard to disagree.

Coutinho was a bit of a pointless statement signing for them, he's way past his best and doesn't seem to be able to hack this league (or any league) anymore.

It's a bit like:  "We've just lost Carney to Chelsea.... STATEMENT SIGNING!"

We definitely still need more in the final third, IMO a striker and a creative player - one good win doesn't change that.

From yesterday neither Redmond or Stephens were in the squad, hopefully things will happen with them. 

Adams surely won't leave now, wonder how much that impscts what cash we have to spend?

Can't believe we have another £40m to spend without recouping a big chunk of it, and Redmond and Stephens aren't going to do that.

If we could get £15m for Bednarek that would be very handy...but he would need replacing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

For Theo to get the nod over Redmond on the bench was pretty remarkable. (Unless Redmond is injured)

Hasn't made squad since spurs. Ralph hasn't said he's injured so assume just not in favour. Walcott weird one because Ralph said on Thursday he wasn't training with first team. Same day the website then showed photos of him training with first team. Surprised to see him on bench yesterday. I know B team only played night before but we have Edwards, Morgan and Ballard who should be given a chance ahead of Walcott imo.

• Like 3

Need to build on yesterdays very positive result by not being complacent in the last week or so of the transfer window. A few more needed. Heres hoping for -

In - Goncalo Ramos, James Garner, Willi Orban (Leipzig having their struggles so lets test it)

Out - Jan Bednarek, Jack Stephens, Ibrahima Diallo, Theo Walcott, Alex McCarthy and Mo Elyounoussi

• Like 1

I would guess Redmond is injured as everyone knows that he is a million times better than Walcott. Equally Redmond isn’t a player I see leaving.

Elyounoussi is annually linked with a move to Europe and it doesn’t materialise.

Bednarek - get a permanent transfer for him. As far as I’m concerned he should never have been part of a squad again after bottling the Man City cup game.

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Tell them they can buy him. We need a transfer fee not a loan deal.

Unless the loan deal covers all his wages and includes £2million as a loan fee, with an obligation to buy for £10million next summer. All of a sudden you're talking about £15million in transfer fee and saved wages which we know we're getting so can spend this summer if needs be.

46 minutes ago, saintant said:

Tell them they can buy him. We need a transfer fee not a loan deal.

West Ham sites have been reporting Moyes wants him too, on a permanent contract, although the fact Ales Crook repeating the claim probably means it is balderdash https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/report-west-ham-want-to-sign-southamptons-13-million-brick-wall-jan-bednarek/

Maureen at Roma still reportedly keen as well although that’s been around for a few months. I think Jan is off one way or another and it’s the best for all parties, much prefer MS and ABK as a first choice partnership.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Redmond joined Stephens potentially at Watford with Villa’s baffling move for Sarr, given they play a narrow formation. A lot of rumours McCarthy off as well plus the standard August ‘enquiry’ from Turkey for Ely. RH did suggest there may be a few departures before the window closes (I refuse to refer to the Sky Sports ‘slam shut’). 

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

Villa loan bid for Bednarek following injuries.

West Ham have injury problems at CB too, hence the link to Bednarek, especially if a loan is a possibility.  I'm sure we want to sell, but not a lot you can do if no one makes an offer. 

No point in letting Bednarek out on loan really unless its with an obligation to buy.

In a back four he is still better than Lyanco, Stephens or Valery so if he goes he needs replacing, and at this point it would be difficult for us to replace him on loan - any we gain very little from doing that really.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Unless the loan deal covers all his wages and includes £2million as a loan fee, with an obligation to buy for £10million next summer. All of a sudden you're talking about £15million in transfer fee and saved wages which we know we're getting so can spend this summer if needs be.

what was the loan fee United were after for Williams last summer? Was that £2m? Actually, maybe we should think along the lines of the loan fee united wanted for Lingard. 33.5m and then £12-16m if they stay up wasn't it?

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Annual link 🚨 

Largest fee they have spent this summer is £5m to sign Torreira. They have spent about £20m in total and brought in £10m. Not flush with money as they finished 15th last season. They will want to loan him.

20 minutes ago, Dusic said:

No point in letting Bednarek out on loan really unless its with an obligation to buy.

In a back four he is still better than Lyanco, Stephens or Valery so if he goes he needs replacing, and at this point it would be difficult for us to replace him on loan - any we gain very little from doing that really.

Fully agree

• Like 1