Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Ornstein saying we have had an offer for Gakpo turned down...

Presumeably you don't get to that stage if the player has no interest in joining potentially.

Not a striker but good creative player - one to watch...

Ornstein also says Everton primed for Garner.

remind me, is Ornstein on the money usully?

Just now, waylander said:

Lots of newspaper talk that Man Utd are still in for Gakpo despite signing Antony. £35-£40M has been quoted as a valuation. I would be surprised if we could afford him.

We still don't know what Sport Rebublics ceiling is. For a marquee signing maybe they're prepared to stretch in the £30m+ category.

8 minutes ago, waylander said:

Lots of newspaper talk that Man Utd are still in for Gakpo despite signing Antony. £35-£40M has been quoted as a valuation. I would be surprised if we could afford him.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1661682/man-utd-transfer-news-live-antony-cody-gakpo-cristiano-ronaldo

And the bid we made could well have been days ago in which time we have moved on.

Shows we do have some cash for a permanent move though.

Ralph's answer after the game on Sat seemed to suggest something was very close, so probably a different player.

Also, the Dutch media are usually all over big transfers for players from their top sides.

I was surprised to see the name of Gakpo mentioned. I read one of the Dutch football websites daily (voetbalzone) and even in the gossip topics we haven’t been mentioned as a possible destination for Gakpo. 

After last Sundays match against Excelsior Gakpo was asked about a possible transfer. He said some interesting days are coming up and that clubs were interested but it had to fit his ambitions.

The price PSV want for Gakpo is around the 50 million euro mark according to some in the Dutch media.

I’ll keep an eye out in the Dutch media and report to SWF asap..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

And the bid we made could well have been days ago in which time we have moved on.

Shows we do have some cash for a permanent move though.

Ralph's answer after the game on Sat seemed to suggest something was very close, so probably a different player.

Also, the Dutch media are usually all over big transfers for players from their top sides.

Yeah, I feel like it was all past tense really.  Top signing he would’ve been.  Interesting most of the money would have gone on a “wide forward” than a striker.

3 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Not to feel pessimistic but is this a leak from the club to show we have been making bids when we don't not sign anyone. 

I don’t think if it was they’d leak to Ornstein, would be Blackmore or Tanswell.

12 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

The simple truth is exactly as you say.. and often it never makes it into the media because if the media reported on every expression of interest from every club to every agent then it would fill its own magazine rack and thats before agents touting players about

We seem good at keeping our firm interest out of the limelight however, which Ive always been relatively impressed with 

Ramos is an odd one, doesn’t feel ‘Saintsy’, seems very expensive for what is a gamble but yet the club apparently sent representatives (which could have just been scouts)… I still believe the player is/will be Broja 

We were obviously balls deep in for Delap but that never came off, been trying for Broja allegedly plus about 5 or 5 other links none of which have come off so down the list, that’s not to say they aren’t good players but hope the club don’t pretend they were always our top target when they evidently weren’t 

Surely Gakpo won't leave PSV to come to a club whose realistic ambition is 10th? I love saints but wouldn't. I've also been to PSV and the stadium is great, far superior to ours. 

If he wanted to play for a year or two to get a bigger move then maybe, but he already plays for a big club so is visible to everyone. So I cant see this happening at all unfortunately. 

Just now, SonicBoom said:

Surely Gakpo won't leave PSV to come to a club whose realistic ambition is 10th? I love saints but wouldn't. I've also been to PSV and the stadium is great, far superior to ours. 

If he wanted to play for a year or two to get a bigger move then maybe, but he already plays for a big club so is visible to everyone. So I cant see this happening at all unfortunately. 

Players don’t care about stadiums and how ‘big’ a club is, they care about money and the chance to play in the premier league, which in turn leads to more money. I could see something like this happening.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We were obviously balls deep in for Delap but that never came off, been trying for Broja allegedly plus about 5 or 5 other links none of which have come off so down the list, that’s not to say they aren’t good players but hope the club don’t pretend they were always our top target when they evidently weren’t 

I still don’t believe we were in/are in for Broja. There was clearly some form of breakdown at the end of the season.

1 minute ago, SonicBoom said:

If we can convince him to view us as a stepping stone, he might. We have a reputation for not standing in players' way if a big club comes in with a reasonable offer and so I think we're very attractive like that.

Plus, with his best years ahead of him, I'd say it suits United more to just let us take him for a couple of years so when they swoop, they'll have a player who already knows the league.

I could see something like Cody Gakpo happening. For those that may not know he is highly rated and has been linked with all sorts of top clubs around Europe, majority of which in England. 
But then realistically which of the big teams needs another winger?
Arsenal don’t.
City won’t as Pep likes a small squad.
United I don’t think will, the Glazers have already shelled out more than they’d like to appease the fans temporarily.
Chelsea can’t stock pile players like they used to.

I think there is a big opportunity there for him to come in but I think it’ll also be dependant on one of our wide players leaving.
Stranger things have happened. 🤷🏻‍♂️

54 minutes ago, Chez said:

I am wondering if United were ever interested and the noise was just to flush out Ajax regarding Anthony.

Maybe I'm getting too hopeful but the sources I've seen do seem a bit iffy. The type that write articles like "Gakpo to United for 85 MILLION!!!!"

Could just be because he's a descent young Dutch player so everyone and their mother is getting their knickers in a twist about him and United.

Plays on the same side as Sancho, Rashford and Elanga. Hopefully we can offer more first team football and that's more important to him? Probably not but I can be hopeful.

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I still don’t believe we were in/are in for Broja. There was clearly some form of breakdown at the end of the season.

I work with a guy who has a distant family connection to him (on the Albanian side) - I am almost certain that whilst we have a Serbian lead investor, there is no chance Broja considers playing for us again. Don't think it's a coincidence SR coming in and his form dipping. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, santolijador said:

I work with a guy who has a distant family connection to him (on the Albanian side) - I am almost certain that whilst we have a Serbian lead investor, there is no chance Broja considers playing for us again. Don't think it's a coincidence SR coming in and his form dipping. 

One of my best mates is Albanian and as soon as we were bought out he messaged me “say goodbye to Broja”. Plenty on here have played it down as he was born in the UK. I’ve met plenty of Albanians that have only known living here and the hatred is still fully there.

All speculation of course but I’d say it’s likely the Serbian association hasn’t helped with our permanent pursuit of Broja. Would love to be wrong and see him with a Saints shirt in hand on Thursday though!

Edited by goodymatt
Typo

1 minute ago, Appy said:

Forest signing Lodi off Atletico, their third left back of the summer 

Such a good signing for a newly promoted team. Players like Lodi, MGW, Henderson and Lingard are not in our reach unfortunately. Mad that they have made those moves happen.

4 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

We can dream!

We certainly can!

Also a lot of people who watch PSV saying that these videos only show the good stuff and whilst he is a talent, he could do with some more development. A lot of games where he's invisible. Maybe that'll put United off? Could be a better fit for us maybe.

• Like 1

I just cannot see how Gakpo is a realistic option. We've heard all summer how we won't be spending £40m on players (even from Dragon himself last year) and he'd cost £40m.

So I just can't see it. Feels like standard end of window news being leaked for numerous reasons.

4 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

Looked completely average against a team that finished 2nd in Scotland I'd steer well clear with the amount of money they want for him. 

That might of helped us - put off other clubs and reduce his price with the window close to "slamming shut".

Based on the last years performance though he was Player of the Year in the eredevise and also won the pundits player of the year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I think it's fair to say the guys we have gone for, Delap and Broja, were at least realistic. Not so sure about Ramos, but who knows if that was ever genuine. I don't want us going for players that no one else wants. 

You can't really expect the eventual signing to be supported with the club  management's words "he was about six or seventh on our list, but we are very happy to have him here. He may not do as well as our first choice would, but we will never know."

9 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

Looked completely average against a team that finished 2nd in Scotland I'd steer well clear with the amount of money they want for him. 

Are players not allowed to have off days anymore then? Bloke looks different gravy for Netherlands and in general for PSV. 

10 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

Not in terrible form generally! I remember Tadic having crazy assist stats and he didn’t disappoint on that front.

6 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Not in terrible form generally! I remember Tadic having crazy assist stats and he didn’t disappoint on that front.

Depends who you ask. I seem to remember him getting a lot of stick and calling him a flop etc.

1 minute ago, farawaysaint said:

Tadic was slammed by a fair portion of our fanbase as a luxury player. Then came 20th in the b’allon d’or so just goes to show what the average football fan knows 😂

The same fans wanted Mane sent to non-league, as that was his level. 

The same fans who booed Pelle's touches against West Brom in the first home game he had.

Clueless comes to mind.

And this wasn't just social media either, this was directed in the stadium.

• Like 2

Tadic was fantastic for us overall, but he was poor in the last two seasons for us (not the only one) but did basically keep us up almost on his own in the end so my memories of him will always be fond. I distinctly remember him rolling around asking for a foul (nothing in it) at home to Brighton whilst they were on the break down his side and rightly the whole stadium hammered him for it. When you listen to his interview after he left, it makes more sense, he obviously didn’t enjoy the physical side of the Premier League and had had enough of it. This was reflected by his last couple of seasons with us imo.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

If we can convince him to view us as a stepping stone, he might. We have a reputation for not standing in players' way if a big club comes in with a reasonable offer and so I think we're very attractive like that.

Plus, with his best years ahead of him, I'd say it suits United more to just let us take him for a couple of years so when they swoop, they'll have a player who already knows the league.

Quite. In this case we have got possibly the single greatest example of why it’s a good idea to join saints Mane = Gakpo.*

* potentially.