Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

11 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

This is prime saintsweb entitlement, like we should know how a company is going to spend millions of pounds.

We await it to happen and enjoy the moment, don't worry about things you cant control.

Exactly. Never understand why fans think we should be told what's going on. Yes, we'd all like to know, but it ain't going to happen. It's like regularly shopping at Tesco and expecting them to announce where they plan their next branch, and which brand of beans they hope to start stocking instead of one of their current lines  

• Like 3

Redmond off to Galatasaray, I see folk saying. £3m.

I know he gets a lot of hate on here but I think a lot of it is unfair. Sure, he's perhaps fallen short of his full potential and yes, he's off the boil more than he should be, but for £10m I reckon he's been a great servant for Saints. He's scored some great goals over the six years we've had him and leaves us with a lot of highlights and memories.

Best of luck, dude #foreverasaint 

• Like 13

21 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

This is prime saintsweb entitlement, like we should know how a company is going to spend millions of pounds.

We await it to happen and enjoy the moment, don't worry about things you cant control.

This seems a bit harsh,  I didn't read the post as being entitled to know what's going on.  More like finding it interesting/concerning that something hasn't made it into the media yet.  Maybe I'm being too generous but the post didn't reek of an entitled fan stamping his feet and demanding to know what's going on.  I know we have this cliché that we do our business behind closed doors, loose lips sink ships and all that but feels to me like most of our signings actually do make it into the media before we sign them.

As an aside I think we, as fans, make far too much out of this secrecy of transfers - I doubt we've ever signed anyone completely under the radar of other clubs.  Seems to create a myth of the club being experts at the dark mystical arts of transfers.  I can understand the club doesn't really need the hassle of responding to every speculation or every vague enquiry that we make but ultimately it probably doesn't make much difference one way or the other.

• Like 2

It suits the club for people to believe that we're never interested in any of these rumoured players. The truth is we are often interested in the players we are linked to but transfers fall through all the time. The myth that we operate purely in secret is just untrue. A few of our transfers we manage to do in relative quiet, largely because some of them are relative unknowns and we aren't a high profile club ourselves. Otherwise with regards to transfers we are the same as every single other club. 

With regards to our striker signing, I reckon its quite likely that we've missed out in the striker we really wanted and we're probably working our way down a list. When we do get one we will probably say it's who we've been after as first choice the whole time. Nothing wrong with that of course but it would be a bit naive to believe otherwise (unless of course we end up paying 40 million for ramos  which isn't going to happen.) it's probably really difficult to find a really good striker who is actually OK with coming to saints which is why we will probably go down the youth route again. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Redmond off to Galatasaray, I see folk saying. £3m.

I know he gets a lot of hate on here but I think a lot of it is unfair. Sure, he's perhaps fallen short of his full potential and yes, he's off the boil more than he should be, but for £10m I reckon he's been a great servant for Saints. He's scored some great goals over the six years we've had him and leaves us with a lot of highlights and memories.

Best of luck, dude #foreverasaint 

Think you'll find that all came from a fake Twitter account (but I could be wrong).

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Lol really.. isn’t that what half this thread about ?

people worrying about us selling che or worrying or giving opinions on who we should sign is kind of what the thread  is about isn’t it ..

Should we not  worry if we get beat 9-0 as we don’t control that too ?

Maybe shouldn’t bother watching football at all as I can’t change the result too

weird comment mate 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 2

Been looking at some football forums and they are raving about our recruitment drive.

Young promising youngsters who are already playing first team football. Lavia (18) is already a cracking player and so is our keeper (18) The one they talk about most is Bella-Kotchap (20) plus we have Mara (20) 

Got me thinking about who we would be looking to sign in the next 24 hours that fits the bill and it really does rule out the likes of Iheanacho (26) & Kalajdžić (25) but Ramos (21) really does fit the bill but is a touch too expensive.

Got to be some kid out there playing regular football that we’ve not spoken about yet that is aged 19 to 21?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Been looking at some football forums and they are raving about our recruitment drive.

Young promising youngsters who are already playing first team football. Lavia (18) is already a cracking player and so is our keeper (18) The one they talk about most is Bella-Kotchap (20) plus we have Mara (20) 

Got me thinking about who we would be looking to sign in the next 24 hours that fits the bill and it really does rule out the likes of Iheanacho (26) & Kalajdžić (25) but Ramos (21) really does fit the bill but is a touch too expensive.

Got to be some kid out there playing regular football that we’ve not spoken about yet that is aged 19 to 21?

I still have a funny feeling that Broja is coming back. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Rasmus Højlund who just transferred to Atalanta for 17M would’ve fit our recruitment policy to a tee and we were apparently interested him 

Elye Wahi perhaps could be someone up our alley 

Edit: On second thought maybe not A86F2CE2-84BD-474C-AB63-286C9DDAA2E2.thumb.jpeg.a3b33ba903802274a1b78c9504fd8698.jpeg

Edited by ecurnew02
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

I still have a funny feeling that Broja is coming back. 

Me too, and i’ve no reason to think it, but it’s extremely quiet on his side and he can’t be happy with a total of about 4 minutes of football this season in a team that don’t have any strikers. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Someone mentioned this Croatian striker the other week , Dion Drena Beljo, but I suspect work permit could be an issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

It suits the club for people to believe that we're never interested in any of these rumoured players. The truth is we are often interested in the players we are linked to but transfers fall through all the time. The myth that we operate purely in secret is just untrue. A few of our transfers we manage to do in relative quiet, largely because some of them are relative unknowns and we aren't a high profile club ourselves. Otherwise with regards to transfers we are the same as every single other club. 

With regards to our striker signing, I reckon its quite likely that we've missed out in the striker we really wanted and we're probably working our way down a list. When we do get one we will probably say it's who we've been after as first choice the whole time. Nothing wrong with that of course but it would be a bit naive to believe otherwise (unless of course we end up paying 40 million for ramos  which isn't going to happen.) it's probably really difficult to find a really good striker who is actually OK with coming to saints which is why we will probably go down the youth route again. 

The simple truth is exactly as you say.. and often it never makes it into the media because if the media reported on every expression of interest from every club to every agent then it would fill its own magazine rack and thats before agents touting players about

We seem good at keeping our firm interest out of the limelight however, which Ive always been relatively impressed with 

Ramos is an odd one, doesn’t feel ‘Saintsy’, seems very expensive for what is a gamble but yet the club apparently sent representatives (which could have just been scouts)… I still believe the player is/will be Broja 

• Like 1

On 19/08/2022 at 21:59, saint1977 said:

Just watched the interview with Ralph. Definitely seems to be talking about a known quantity. Taking everything else into account and then that video, I am now convinced that Borja will be signed. We have 8 games left before we have an alternative to KWP. Mousse has done well at LB but no back up at RB. Happy pretty much with the rest of the team but if we could sign a quality 10 I would be very happy with our summer’s work.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Nope agree.. he’s picked for England I think because this new way of thinking is you need a left footed and right footed CB… even at the expense of… call me old fashioned… a good CB

To me this is absolutely nuts. I really don’t get it. Of course it would be absolutely preferable to have that in an ideal world but not at the determinant of having two good defenders. you never see this in any other position. We don’t get an insistence that you need a left footed and right footed central midfielder in a pair of the same up front. I remember Adkins used to go on about it and we ended up signing Dan Seabourme for what appeared to be the sole reason that he was left footed 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

To me this is absolutely nuts. I really don’t get it. Of course it would be absolutely preferable to have that in an ideal world but not at the determinant of having two good defenders. you never see this in any other position. We don’t get an insistence that you need a left footed and right footed central midfielder in a pair of the same up front. I remember Adkins used to go on about it and we ended up signing Dan Seabourme for what appeared to be the sole reason that he was left footed 

We have an England manager who will now pick some players due to their form 18-24 months ago. He is an idiot

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 5

Broja was ok last season but he wasn’t ground-breaking. He wasn’t digging up trees etc. He was effective in a poor team for a short period but largely average otherwise.

Whether his agent is giving him bad advice is one thing (or is it his parents). He might think he’s good enough for start regularly but I reckon most Chelsea fans, wouldn’t be too wowed by him starting for them (the ones I know anyway).

I think he needs bringing back down a peg or two, get that chip off his shoulder, knuckle down and go after regular football. No point wasting away a year on the bench if you care for your career.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Broja was ok last season but he wasn’t ground-breaking. He wasn’t digging up trees etc. He was effective in a poor team for a short period but largely average otherwise.

Whether his agent is giving him bad advice is one thing (or is it his parents). He might think he’s good enough for start regularly but I reckon most Chelsea fans, wouldn’t be too wowed by him starting for them (the ones I know anyway).

I think he needs bringing back down a peg or two, get that chip off his shoulder, knuckle down and go after regular football. No point wasting away a year on the bench if you care for your career.

He doesn't strike me as having the sort of professional attitude which we need for our group of talented youngsters, hope we avoid him

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Bellotti to Roma. We were supposedly in for him

but European football in the eternal city or relegation battle in northam and there’s only one winner 

Possibly better Negronis there too. Strong pull

44 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t think we’re even in for Broja so it’s kind of academic but I wish people would stop criticising players for a perceived attitude. Neither you, nor I have a clue what he’s like, what his attitude is or whatever else is going on behind the scenes.

By all means criticise his performances (I disagree by the way) but attitude and needing to be taken down a peg or two, well, that’s something you’ll never know.

As for being effective in a poor team for a short period and largely average otherwise - that could be applied to almost every player last season. 

Anyway, don’t think it’ll be happening but I’d be over the moon if we got someone as good, or brought him back.

• Like 4

Bazunu, Lavia and Aribo were all in the press for ages before they happened. We don't do our business in the shadows, we just buy lots of players from clubs that don't have dedicated media correspondents. If we're in for someone from a big club or from the UK, 9 times out of 10 it gets reported in advance.

I still don’t think we’re in for Broja, but then again I didn’t think we were in for Ramos either.

Saints don’t just go out and spend £30m on one player, it’s not our way of operating.

As I said yesterday I reckon we’ll get AMN on loan and maybe one other player, but no idea who or what position it’ll be for.

Anymore signings than that I think will be dependant on player sales; i.e. Bednarek, Stephens, Elyounoussi etc.

7 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

well said....FSJ.   Broja started very well at the front end of last season, but by New Year the season is only half over and May seems a long way away.

I think he got a slight injury in there somewhere (?) but was almost invisible in some games during the Spring.

Wherever he plays this season will show if he is a real talent ...or just  " a one-hit wonder ". 

• Like 2

Already big clues that Salisu and BK will play CB in a default 442 - until further notice. And that they could be a high quality pairing. So any replacement CB if Jan or Jack leave is unlikely to be a starter.

Both Valery and Lyanco fancy themselves as “ ballers” whilst Jan and Jack are more classic aggressive bodies on the line defenders. 

Assuming that “ type” of old school defender is leaving there’s an option available at present if Ralph wants to keep that in the squad but freshen it up a bit

Wilfred Boly,31,  all 6ft 5 of him for those that prioritise height is available from Wolves. 
Is he a an experienced Ivory Coast international who scores from corners and could be back up should Jan and/or Jack leave and we’ve not replaced them late on the day? 

Not expensive to buy but probably wants high wages. Might be an option. 

Ornstein saying we have had an offer for Gakpo turned down...

Presumeably you don't get to that stage if the player has no interest in joining potentially.

Not a striker but good creative player - one to watch...

Ornstein also says Everton primed for Garner.

Edited by Dusic

Cody Gakpo a key target according to Ornstein.

Everton, Leeds United and Southampton are also among those to have pursued Gakpo but it is Southampton who are thought to have made the most concrete approach so far, submitting an offer to PSV that has been turned down.

The 23-year-old Netherlands international has been a key target for Southampton this summer and Rasmus Ankersen, co-founder of the club’s ownership group Sport Republic, has led talks with their Dutch counterparts.

https://theathletic.com/3544084/2022/08/29/ornstein-transfer-deadline-pepe-premier-league/

• Like 2

If Bednarek leaves then I'd like to see us get a replacement who can push Salisu and ABK, keep them on their toes. A possible starter if one or the other loses form. Players like Lyanco, Valery and Stephens should only be used in the cup/last 5 minutes when holding onto a lead.

People need to realise the window hasn't shut yet and some of the criticism of the clubs transfer window up until now is bizarre to say the least.

This isn't a club being run under Gao ownership anymore. We have structure and most importantly money. I'm confident we'll bring in at least a striker and judging by Ralph's demeanour on Saturday he is too. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, beavis17 said:

Everton, Leeds United and Southampton are also among those to have pursued Gakpo but it is Southampton who are thought to have made the most concrete approach so far, submitting an offer to PSV that has been turned down.

The 23-year-old Netherlands international has been a key target for Southampton this summer and Rasmus Ankersen, co-founder of the club’s ownership group Sport Republic, has led talks with their Dutch counterparts.

https://theathletic.com/3544084/2022/08/29/ornstein-transfer-deadline-pepe-premier-league/

Now that would be some signing. Not a striker, however, which begs an interesting question about whether we'll be getting one as well.

Better numbers than Antony last season, who is about to join Man United for 80-odd million. Funny old game.

12 minutes ago, beavis17 said:

Finally someone from the club read my posts about gakpo back in june 🤣

• Like 1

To be honest wouldnt be shocked if when man u get antony from Ajax then Ajax use some of that money for gakpo, following the Bayern method of buying up all the best domestic talent or then take the king #Ziyechwatch back from Chelsea.

Expect PSV to go and buy the other goal and assist machine Karlsson from AZ Alkmaar.

Personally I think it is a bit of a reach for us getting gakpo - surely he has bigger clubs looking at him - Van nisteelroy is quoted as being worried that if he does lose players he wont have time to replace them - expect to see some movement in PSV soon this week i guess.

Edit - saw PSV enquiring at City for Adedire Mebude (12 goals / 17 assists) - looks like gakpo is defo going somewhere.

Edited by Convict Colony
Added City link for PSV

35 minutes ago, beavis17 said:

Interesting. We wouldn't have got to the stage of placing a bid if we hadn't got some strong indication from the player/agent that he would be willing to come. I very much expect we will be back in with an increased bid if that's the case.

Gakpo would be great but prob out of our league given Utds interest, there is also Mousa Diaby who is still at Leverkusen despite regular reports of transfers away, Danjuma, did enough at Bompey to get his move and seems to have kicked on, can play wide or as second striker, Sulemana at Rennes, a young fast tricky winger, may be too raw tho

42 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Ornstein saying we have had an offer for Gakpo turned down...

Presumeably you don't get to that stage if the player has no interest in joining potentially.

Not a striker but good creative player - one to watch...

Ornstein also says Everton primed for Garner.

Cody Gakpo is brilliant, tall, strong, powerful runner who can go by opponents, plenty of goals and assists to his game and he whips in a mean corner or cross. Would be pleasantly surprised if a) we could afford him and b) he'd come to us among interest from much bigger clubs. Doubt there is any substance in this.

17 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Gakpo would be great but prob out of our league given Utds interest, 

I am wondering if United were ever interested and the noise was just to flush out Ajax regarding Anthony.

• Like 1