Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 hours ago, mcbendy said:

Quite a few people referencing Ralph's comments after the game about new signings, but I can't find the interview. What exactly did he say?

I’ve had a look back for in on here but I can’t find it. It was asked by a female report from Be-In Sports, so won’t have been in the mainstream. She said something like “great performance, how did you not get something”, then said “lots of noise from the club and the fans that a striker is needed, what can you tell us, are you confident of getting someone?”, Ralph immmediately responded with a big smile and “yes, I’m confident…….I’m confident”. He then diverted to say all the team played well, made some good chances etc.

• Like 2

This has still been a very good window so far, got to give it 7.5 or 8/10.

All the players we have brought in are upgrades on the ones we had previously.
The squad does seem a little bloated still but if you get rid of a couple more of the deadwood then you’d say it has been excellent; albeit you’d then maybe need to replace one or two of them again last minute.

And we’ve kept all our best players. (against DT’s wishes). 🤣

I see us bringing two more in, one permanent and one loan.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’ve had a look back for in on here but I can’t find it. It was asked by a female report from Be-In Sports, so won’t have been in the mainstream. She said something like “great performance, how did you not get something”, then said “lots of noise from the club and the fans that a striker is needed, what can you tell us, are you confident of getting someone?”, Ralph immmediately responded with a big smile and “yes, I’m confident…….I’m confident”. He then diverted to say all the team played well, made some good chances etc.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/59176-summer-2022-transfer-window/?do=findComment&comment=3067331

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

cannot be true, surely?

This would be utterly hilarious. Broja alone is better & should be more valuable than Gordon.

Edit: Although just remembered that Everton are one of the only teams worse than us so actually not that funny.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Ooh lovely. A bidding war 🥳

The bidding war will go something like this:

Villa: "We'll give you £20 million for Bednarek"

West Ham "We'll lower that offer to £18 million"

Villa "Okay then, we'll go to £16 million"

West Ham "How about £14 million?"

Villa "Nice try,....but we can lower that to £12 million?"

West Ham "Alright then, £10 million and not a penny less"

Villa "£8 million and that's our final offer"

Leicester "We'll have him for £6 million"

Saints "DONE!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, DT said:

Hasenhuttl: “We've spent on five players the amount that Manchester United has spent on one player. That's the way we have to go. I didn't see much difference between the two teams.” #saintsfc

yada yada

I’m not entirely sure what it is you’re moaning about here ? Utd have spent best part of 300m and we basically matched them/looked better yesterday 

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Saint Charminster said:

They’re looking for 60million for him, I’d like to think we’d moved on to other targets days ago….

FWIW I’m not sure we’ve ever truly been in for Ramos, I think we probably had his name on our list and we have had representatives go to talk to him but I’m not hugely convinced we were that serious 

I also think it’ll cost teams less than 60m to pick him up

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

FWIW I’m not sure we’ve ever truly been in for Ramos, I think we probably had his name on our list and we have had representatives go to talk to him but I’m not hugely convinced we were that serious 

I also think it’ll cost teams less than 60m to pick him up

We might have been serious until we were told the price.

If Ramos is available and leaves Benfica this window he's more likely to end up at Wolves. 

4 hours ago, DT said:

I do wish Ralph would stop whingeing about how little money we’ve got compared to Man U and others, the subtext being that he’s a genius for only losing 1-0. Brighton are in the same financial grouping and it doesn’t seem to affect them. Getting his excuses in again. 

Would come as no surprise if we don't bring a striker in and are then left with an old script of "we tried, but were thwarted late in the window and couldn't rescue it with the time left...". Will then be interesting to see by comparison how Brighton and others fare in the last few days remaining.

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

Would come as no surprise if we don't bring a striker in and are then left with an old script of "we tried, but were thwarted late in the window and couldn't rescue it with the time left...". Will then be interesting to see by comparison how Brighton and others fare in the last few days remaining.

I think that I have seen this post a number of times on this thread....

1 minute ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So... just a thought... there are rumours saying that Bednarek is in talks to sign for Aston Villa. Meanwhile there are also rumours that Tyrone Mings has fallen out with Steven Gerrard. Is there any possibility that Mings (a former reject of the Saints academy) and Bednarek might be involved in a swap deal?

Mings isn’t going to come here and be back up. One of JS/JB will leave and we’ll be left with a bog standard 4 senior CBs and Valery as an option in an emergency. We aren’t bringing in another CB.

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Mings isn’t going to come here and be back up. One of JS/JB will leave and we’ll be left with a bog standard 4 senior CBs and Valery as an option in an emergency. We aren’t bringing in another CB.

Who said anything about him being back up? He is clearly a much better central defender than Salisu, so I would see Salisu as back-up - albeit his frequent indisciplined runs up the wing last season may suggest he would be better employed in that role anyway!

As others have said, if we sell Bednarek, I would be worried about having Lynaco or Stephens as back up. Give Salisu the time to develop as back-up and maybe he can develop into the central defender some people believe he already is.

• Haha 6

39 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So... just a thought... there are rumours saying that Bednarek is in talks to sign for Aston Villa. Meanwhile there are also rumours that Tyrone Mings has fallen out with Steven Gerrard. Is there any possibility that Mings (a former reject of the Saints academy) and Bednarek might be involved in a swap deal?

I thought it was Eastleigh that rejected him. Didn’t know about Saints.

31 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Who said anything about him being back up? He is clearly a much better central defender than Salisu, so I would see Salisu as back-up - albeit his frequent indisciplined runs up the wing last season may suggest he would be better employed in that role anyway!

As others have said, if we sell Bednarek, I would be worried about having Lynaco or Stephens as back up. Give Salisu the time to develop as back-up and maybe he can develop into the central defender some people believe he already is.

In what world? There is not a chance I would want 29 year old Mings to be playing and jeopardising Salisu’s game time. Mings is not good enough for Villa, and they’re not exactly ripping it up. 

• Like 5

It’s worrying me that we are still in the dark over the supposed striker.. surely something would slip out by now?

Re fullback tbh I’m happy to go as we are there, moussa is doing a good job and I think it’s been good for him too, should of helped his confidence and the fans confidence in him and I’m hoping he gets a crack at number ten when perraud is fully fit. Moussa at least offers the ability to skin players and make things happen .

striker and number ten are the positions we are hopefully looking at. As we showed yesterday we can compete but lack a bit of creativity and composure still 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

If we can get someone like Haaland in I’ll be confident about the rest of our season. 

Yeah! Someone with two arms and two legs, blonde hair would be a bonus... just like Haaland. Job done!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I still think we will get a striker and a couple more players- possible on deadline day. We will replace Romeu and get a fullback in like Maitland niles. 

Can we read into that like we can your subtle-hint new kit posts, or is this just a gut feel? :)

3 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Nope but it would be an upgrade on Bednarek.

Gerrard pretty much froze Mings out, stripped him of captaincy, said he wasn’t good enough and then a week or so later new signing Diego Carlos did his ACL and is out for the foreseeable future; hence he’s now starting Mings again. 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

It’s worrying me that we are still in the dark over the supposed striker.. surely something would slip out by now?

Re fullback tbh I’m happy to go as we are there, moussa is doing a good job and I think it’s been good for him too, should of helped his confidence and the fans confidence in him and I’m hoping he gets a crack at number ten when perraud is fully fit. Moussa at least offers the ability to skin players and make things happen .

striker and number ten are the positions we are hopefully looking at. As we showed yesterday we can compete but lack a bit of creativity and composure still 

This is prime saintsweb entitlement, like we should know how a company is going to spend millions of pounds.

We await it to happen and enjoy the moment, don't worry about things you cant control.

• Like 6