Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

53 minutes ago, trousers said:

Two private jets about to depart Southampton for Amsterdam (which, before I'm shot down in flames, has probably got nothing to do with transfer deadline day. I'm just trying to keep myself occupied FFS :)

image.thumb.png.c8ed4a3d185558e0a6e95785ba743a95.png

image.thumb.png.32bf9aa66cac0efa93d2ce7c64476ba9.png

BREAKING NEWS.... one of the planes diverted to Rotterdam.... (still means bugger all of course... although slightly closer to Eindhoven than Amsterdam... )

image.thumb.png.74799d4de7ce114b9fac3aeb9bfff7c6.png

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I imagine that'll be the case.
If we hadn't been linked with Gakpo at all we'd all be going "Edozie - another great City prospect!" It's purely that fact we were linked with Gakpo for little under 48 hours that people might feel a little disappointed.

Don't really think that's true - pretty much everyone has been wondering who we would get in up front all summer.  Gakpo happened to tick the boxes recently that's all.  If we hadn't been linked with him then people would still be disappointed with the business we've done to strengthen the attack. 

Not sure people would have been raving about Edozie either - doesn't appear to come with the same pedigree as the other youth signings.  Neither does the other fella either.  I'll judge them when I see them play and hopefully they're very good but they look at first glance as squad fillers rather than straight into the first team.

None of this is meant as implying the window has been entirely disappointing because clearly it hasn't.  Just that the glaring problem all summer was to improve the quality up front and that's not happened (unless anything changes).  SR obviously thought so too otherwise they wouldn't have bid so much for Gakpo so I imagine they're as disappointed in that regard as we are.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Given how ridiculous our form has been under Ralph in terms of peaks and troughs, I would hope we wouldn't be basing any of our transfer strategy at all on our opening run of five games. 

The peaks and troughs won't change no matter who we may buy today 😂  Need a new manager for that 'feature' to change.

from the performances we've seen, I think there's been enough business to keep us up (barring any 'name' departures of course). Club strategy is to stay up, grow talent, sell on and reinvest to stay up. It's not about silverware or long term movement towards top 10 or top 6 status. On that basis, further spend may not be economically beneficial (unless it fits the young talent proforma) 

1 minute ago, Dragon_man said:

The peaks and troughs won't change no matter who we may buy today 😂  Need a new manager for that 'feature' to change.

from the performances we've seen, I think there's been enough business to keep us up (barring any 'name' departures of course). Club strategy is to stay up, grow talent, sell on and reinvest to stay up. It's not about silverware or long term movement towards top 10 or top 6 status. On that basis, further spend may not be economically beneficial (unless it fits the young talent proforma) 

Not sure I entirely agree. Finishing as high as possible or getting into Europe wi only increase the clubs attractiveness. Its in their interest to do as well as they possibly can. Under Mao our strategy was to spend the bare minimum and survive. 

31 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Part of the fun of promotion is seeing how your band of plucky heroes navigate the prem. If you're going to change the entire team then what's the point? 

Agreed, but Forest lost 15 players at the end of last season so there weren't many plucky heroes left to start this season with.  They had to buy in big volume just to have a squad of 25 to register.  If Steve Cooper can gel them into a team that stays up he will probably deserve Manager of the season.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint NL said:

Anyone else think this is the quiet part before the most exciting whirlwind end of the transfer window we've ever seen?

No? Just me then.

I think it has to be....Probably announce them all late on tonight...

AMN, Larios, Edozie...

And then a centre back, probably Caleta Car, and then hopefully a striker of some sort. Probably on loan now...?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alanh said:

Agreed, but Forest lost 15 players at the end of last season so there weren't many plucky heroes left to start this season with.  They had to buy in big volume just to have a squad of 25 to register.  If Steve Cooper can gel them into a team that stays up he will probably deserve Manager of the season.

20 players though? That's just madness.

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure I entirely agree. Finishing as high as possible or getting into Europe wi only increase the clubs attractiveness. Its in their interest to do as well as they possibly can. Under Mao our strategy was to spend the bare minimum and survive. 

Indeed it would, success would breed success. I don't think Semmens sees it that way. You'd have to spend a lot and it would be high risk to get into Europe. Though there is prize money benefit in higher finishing positions, I think our club isn't really bothered whether its 8th or 17th.

For the avoidance of doubt though, I think we need a striker and would be more comfortable with additional cover in other areas. But without that, I still think we'll stay up.     

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think it has to be....Probably announce them all late on tonight...

AMN, Larios, Edozie...

And then a centre back, probably Caleta Car, and then hopefully a striker of some sort. Probably on loan now...?

The striker or at least an attacking signing is my hope. I get we've lost our first choice but I'm crossing my fingers that the club realise the importance. 

1 minute ago, Dragon_man said:

Indeed it would, success would breed success. I don't think Semmens sees it that way. You'd have to spend a lot and it would be high risk to get into Europe. Though there is prize money benefit in higher finishing positions, I think our club isn't really bothered whether its 8th or 17th.

For the avoidance of doubt though, I think we need a striker and would be more comfortable with additional cover in other areas. But without that, I still think we'll stay up.     

I don't think we have to necessarily spend a lot. If we become well known as the club that gives young players a platform then it's entirely conceivable in a few years we could be challenging for Europe. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Anyone else think this is the quiet part before the most exciting whirlwind end of the transfer window we've ever seen?

No? Just me then.

Until there's concrete signing proof I will always worry something will happen to make a transfer collapse. 

"AMN has failed to agree terms with Southampton because he wants a swimming pool and Saints could only get him a kids paddling pool..." or something.

Looks like we're getting 4 in the door today then, at very least.

Two lads from City for a combined £16m, AMN on loan and a centre back.

Only missing piece of the puzzle and it's quite a big one, is an attacker.

Hopefully we can pull something out the bag late on then it'll a 10/10 window.

• Like 1

Are Larios and Edozie being signed as long term prospects, ie they will play for the U21/23s (not sure what the reserves are called these days) rather than going straight onto our bench? I have little footage to go on, but what I have seen doesn't suggest they are first team ready.  

Nothing wrong with us doing that by the way, just asking.

• Like 1