Loudest rendition of oh when the saints ever?

Roger

6 minutes ago, iansums said:

How, when it was supposedly a sell out, were there so many empty seats?

Yes, they often seem to say it's a sell out but loads of empty seats, usually blocks of them together.  Strange.  Then again it didn't stop the rousing chorus of ...OWTS 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iansums said:

A section of the front rows in the Itchen south is reserved for staff. You sometimes see young players and coaches sitting in them in their club tracksuits but I guess when they have games, they leave them empty. They also seem to be reserving the front section on the halfway line, at the centre of the Itchen, for corporate tickets (perhaps corporate season tickets), as even though they always appear as unavailable on the ticket site, like Club Wembley, they are mostly left empty nowadays. Unfortunately, like Club Wembley, these empty sections are right in front of the cameras. Then, of course, there are always the hundreds of seats left empty in the Northam for fan segregation. Recently, that little section at the front of the Northam/Itchen corner, behind the corner flag so you really notice it, always appears to be kept empty, and the whole of the block was for the Coventry game so I guess it will be for the West Ham game too. Then for midweek games especially, you get empty seats in the family stands because of school. It's a pity they can't put some of the empty corporate and family stand seats on general sale when the game is 'sold out'. Perhaps we have too many corporate and family seats, and we certainly seem to need more seats kept empty for fan segregation than most other clubs do.

Going back to the OP, there was a period in the late 70s when all four sides at the Dell used to sing OWTS very loudly for long periods of games. Winning a trophy definitely had a major impact and probably the high point of home vocal support was reached at a midweek cup replay v Forest in February, 1977. That was the most deafening and intimidating it ever was.  It helped that there were almost no Forest fans there. When there are a lot of away fans, as there were for the Coventry game, our home support fades a bit. That's why some people say our vocal support was better when we were in League One: there were very few away fans, so  the Northam was almost like a proper home end. But, if we win the cup this year. I'm sure out home support next season will be the best ever at St Mary's.

Edited by Nordic Saint

1 hour ago, iansums said:

A sell out doesn’t mean that every seat will have a bum on it, and just because there isn’t a bum on it doesn’t mean that a seat hasn’t been sold. All season ticket seats have been sold whether the occupier is there or not. 

I didn’t see many empty seats yesterday. There were one or two near me but they were regulars who were missing.

Same around where I sit. I got home OK with some delays to the trains but it was all a bit twitchy and a packed train. The guy next to me normally gets the train in from the north but drove due to cancellations.  I wouldn't have risked it for an evening match and on Friday against Norwich think I'll drive.

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

A sell out doesn’t mean that every seat will have a bum on it, and just because there isn’t a bum on it doesn’t mean that a seat hasn’t been sold. All season ticket seats have been sold whether the occupier is there or not. 

I didn’t see many empty seats yesterday. There were one or two near me but they were regulars who were missing.

This isn’t just the odd seat here and there though, it’s whole rows or little random blocks dotted about the itchen and northam. It’s been like it a lot this season, can’t be that many season ticket holders in close proximity to each other not turning up

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

This isn’t just the odd seat here and there though, it’s whole rows or little random blocks dotted about the itchen and northam. It’s been like it a lot this season, can’t be that many season ticket holders in close proximity to each other not turning up

Such seats are reserved for other purposes and were never available for sale.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2022 at 21:35, Roger said:

At st Mary’s. About 8 mins from end. Was quite emotional I thought. Whole ground joined it. Wonderful. 

It remains fact that apart for reciting OWTS over and over and over again, our fans have little else to offer in chants or songs. Compared with some clubs the lack of originality fro fans offerings is embarrassing especially the excruciatingly moronic "Whoooooo's that B****** accompanying goal kicks of the opponent.

That this seems to pass as humour in the Northam is a sad indictment of them but when heard on TV makes all Saints fans look like a bunch of brain challenged idiots.

• Haha 1

On 20/02/2022 at 09:13, iansums said:

Completely wrong thread mate.

...but, to answer you in part the empty seats behind the players areas that are never offered for sale are surely a Covid-19 barrier between the players and fans.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

27 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It remains fact that apart for reciting OWTS over and over and over again, our fans have little else to offer in chants or songs. Compared with some clubs the lack of originality fro fans offerings is embarrassing especially the excruciatingly moronic "Whoooooo's that B****** accompanying goal kicks of the opponent.

That this seems to pass as humour in the Northam is a sad indictment of them but when heard on TV makes all Saints fans look like a bunch of brain challenged idiots.

Really? Embarrassing?

A version of OWTS seems to be forming part of the basic repertoire for a lot of clubs' fans now. 

Obviously Spurs have been doing it for a while, but I've heard 'Oh When The Reds' (the fast version) from Liverpool fans at several recent games, Wolves fans were singing 'Oh When the Wolves' at their game on Sunday, and I'm pretty sure I heard 'Oh When the Bees' watching a recent Brentford game. 

I know fans often nick songs from other teams and change the words to fit their own, but it still seems very odd to me when the particular song has been so specifically associated with one club, rather than just a general tune or chant. I can't imagine a scenario where any other fans would sing I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles, for example, or You'll Never Walk Alone. Yet everyone seems happy to nick and repurpose a song that has until fairly recently been very much ours, and explicitly has Saints in the title. It's odd. 

Has such a 'club-specific' chant ever been lifted wholesale by other fans before? 

4 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

A version of OWTS seems to be forming part of the basic repertoire for a lot of clubs' fans now. 

Obviously Spurs have been doing it for a while, but I've heard 'Oh When The Reds' (the fast version) from Liverpool fans at several recent games, Wolves fans were singing 'Oh When the Wolves' at their game on Sunday, and I'm pretty sure I heard 'Oh When the Bees' watching a recent Brentford game. 

I know fans often nick songs from other teams and change the words to fit their own, but it still seems very odd to me when the particular song has been so specifically associated with one club, rather than just a general tune or chant. I can't imagine a scenario where any other fans would sing I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles, for example, or You'll Never Walk Alone. Yet everyone seems happy to nick and repurpose a song that has until fairly recently been very much ours, and explicitly has Saints in the title. It's odd. 

Has such a 'club-specific' chant ever been lifted wholesale by other fans before? 

I remember in the 80s lots of clubs sang you'll never walk alone, thankfully that died out. I also remember as a kid on the Milton in the late 80s/early 90s there was a version of I'm forever blowing bubbles, think it went something like "i'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air, they fly so high they reach the sky, not like West Hams that fade and die, (insert name of club) always running, (insert name of club) running too, Southamptons always running, running after you." 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Their song always used to be "Glory, Glory Hallejulah"

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

That you don't know it's "you fat bastard" probably says a fair amount.

We've an OK variety of songs; not the best, but far from the worst in the league. There's precious little novelty of chant at any top level club these days.

It's a bit rich opinining about relative intelligence when it's routinely only Northam, Itchen North and Kingsland North that make any sustained noise. Perhaps the intelligentsia elsewhere fancy piping up and schooling us with some scathing wit and originality?

Edited by ant
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I don't think all Saints fans are brain-challenged idiots. However, some clearly are. And some even post on this forum...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Completely wrong thread mate.

...but, to answer you in part the empty seats behind the players areas that are never offered for sale are surely a Covid-19 barrier between the players and fans.

Completely don’t give a ****, I’ll post on whatever thread I want thanks.

2 hours ago, tunit said:

That Shane Long chant was incredibly loud also. Even chapel was getting involved

Yeah, that was a really nice moment, especially because it might (on current frequency) be his last. You could see it really meant something to him and the fans took the opportunity to show their appreciation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Cheer up you moody old git.

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

I remember in the 80s lots of clubs sang you'll never walk alone, thankfully that died out. I also remember as a kid on the Milton in the late 80s/early 90s there was a version of I'm forever blowing bubbles, think it went something like "i'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air, they fly so high they reach the sky, not like West Hams that fade and die, (insert name of club) always running, (insert name of club) running too, Southamptons always running, running after you." 

That made be chuckle. I remember that one as well. Usually followed by your the scum of London Town if plating the Happy Hammers

• Like 1

The noise level form us was pretty impressive, apart from the odd sporadic chant Everton were very quiet which surprised me, although they were being outplayed for much of the game. There is a limit to football songs, OWTS will be here forever, although I must say I'm long bored of the "fathers gun..." song. Miss the que sera sera song, mainly in cup games with everyone waving their scarves around their heads, and remember knees up mother brown with the west stand pogoing, wouldn't really work in the seats we have now! And who could forget the memorable "your going home in a Hampshire ambulance" (in D major).

Edited by kyle04

As I am an old Git 3 April 1963 QF FA Cup when we won 5 0 and the whole stadium was singing it as it seemed most of Southampton were at White Hart Lane and 1 May 1976 at Wembley Stadium as we won the FA Cup are my best memories of OWTS

But I do remember watching Spurs in Europe in the early 1960s on TV in mid week with their fans belting it out in those early of European football I am sure most of the country was behind Man U Liverpool and Spurs when they played in the European Cup 

27 minutes ago, iansums said:

😀 Another question, if it’s allowed on this thread, why were the screens not working on Saturday, something to do with the weather?

They're due to be taken down and replaced with new bigger ones.  I guess they've started the decommissioning process already.

Back to OWTS. I took along a mate of mine, who is a Man U supporter. It must have been good because even he joined in singing it. He came to the Brentford game and now the Everton game. I'm slowly converting him, but based on results of the games he's been to, he can come whenever he wants to. (He even jumped and cheered when Shane scored). 

On 21/02/2022 at 18:37, John B said:

As I am an old Git 3 April 1963 QF FA Cup when we won 5 0 and the whole stadium was singing it as it seemed most of Southampton were at White Hart Lane and 1 May 1976 at Wembley Stadium as we won the FA Cup are my best memories of OWTS

But I do remember watching Spurs in Europe in the early 1960s on TV in mid week with their fans belting it out in those early of European football I am sure most of the country was behind Man U Liverpool and Spurs when they played in the European Cup 

Everton’s away fans are always terrible. 

No necessarily the loudest rendition given the smaller attendance,  but for some reason I always have fond memories of a game in the Championship against Coventry, which I think was just after Rupert left for good? Seem to remember constant OWTS for most of the 2nd half leading up to a stunner from Gareth Bale.

Pretty sure this is the game:

15 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

No necessarily the loudest rendition given the smaller attendance,  but for some reason I always have fond memories of a game in the Championship against Coventry, which I think was just after Rupert left for good? Seem to remember constant OWTS for most of the 2nd half leading up to a stunner from Gareth Bale.

Pretty sure this is the game:

Yes for some reason that game has always stuck with me as well as being one of the best games atmosphere wise at SMS, glad someone else remembers it. Others that spring to mind are the FA Cup QF against Wolves on our run to the final and the Norwich game in our relegation season, what a rollercoaster that was!  Sadly SMS seems a lot more sedate these days.