Saints 1-4 Man City - Match Thread

Uncle Albert

I've always been willing to give Stephens the benefit of the doubt. He's not a first choice, but not bad reserve. This season, whenever I've seen him he's looked slow and far too casual. The game looks too quick for him. Not sure we have better options mind.

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

The miss by AA was criminal. Hard to see him ever being EPL level.

Just looks so far below it, doesn’t he. Only been 20 minutes, granted, but I think that scuffed shot has been his only touch? 

Just now, Chez said:

I've always been willing to give Stephens the benefit of the doubt. He's not a first choice, but not bad reserve. This season, whenever I've seen him he's looked slow and far too casual. The game looks too quick for him. Not sure we have better options mind.

His form up until getting injured at City was good. Usually when he has a decent run in the side he finds some consistency. But when he comes in every now and again, he always seems to have a mistake in him. 

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

We've only got one decent CB. How do we get another good one. Established ones are too expensive for us so we have to roll the dice each time. 

Bednarek can defend but not pass, Stephens can pass but not defend. We desperately need someone who can do both adequately. He doesn’t need to be Salisu quality, just not a recurring source of screw-ups.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Adam’s just has no confidence when he shoots. Needs playing time and a goal, badly.

Has he done enough to justify game time? It’s not been a good start for him, can see him getting hooked at half time if the next 20 minutes go the way as the first. 

The miss by AA was criminal. Hard to see him ever being EPL level.

Poor strike and poor finish, but criminal?

Now that's a poor finish....there's a pattern emerging.

Technique/confidence is not there. Needs a goal.

Just now, Chez said:

Poor strike and poor finish, but criminal?

Now that's a poor finish....there's a pattern emerging.

Technique/confidence is not there. Needs a goal.

Maybe criminal was a poor choice but that kind of chance is bread and butter for most forwards, just guide it past the keeper. An easy chance.

Not sure on RHs thinking we could have been 1-0 up with broja or Adams on the end of those chances then frustrated city for an hour or so before bringing on long and AA to run at them for the last 20 mins 

Maybe criminal was a poor choice but that kind of chance is bread and butter for most forwards, just guide it past the keeper. An easy chance.

I don't think it was bread and butter, but he couldn't have hit it much worse. I honestly don't understand how Broja is not picked ahead of these two. Maybe off the bench he will help us draw level.

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Not sure on RHs thinking we could have been 1-0 up with broja or Adams on the end of those chances then frustrated city for an hour or so before bringing on long and AA to run at them for the last 20 mins 

Agree. RH should have access to a time machine for times like this...

Edited by OttawaSaint

3 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

Got two non scoring forwards, and unsurprisingly got two forwards who don't look like scoring. Can't fault workrate, but when the best partnership this season is sitting on the bench, got to ask questions

Absolutely. Appears like another one of Ralph’s freakish team selections with him trying to be too clever. Got away with it v WH but not today. For me this is why we’ll never win anything under him or break the top ten. Also another reason why he won’t be a top top manager.

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't think it was bread and butter, but he couldn't have hit it much worse. I honestly don't understand how Broja is not picked ahead of these two. Maybe off the bench he will help us draw level.

Exactly. Regardless of how quiet his last 3 games have been, he’s still much more of a goal threat than these 2. 

This game was set up for him at 0-0 to run in behind on the counter attack. 

Edited by Dman

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-4 Man City - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic