Saints 1-4 Man City - Match Thread

Uncle Albert

Weirdly this kind of game might suit us, we're not expected to go and win and we'll have a clear game plain to suffocate and contain the opposition. We're better on the break, so it'll probably be better than the last two.

We don't do as well in games when teams sit 2 banks of 4 in front and expect us to play around them, we don't have the level of players to do that in those '10' roles. We do have the players to dig in, press and break though.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

I’m really not sure what Ralph will do for this one and not I don’t really care either whether its Tino/Perraud, Stephens/Bednarek or Elyounoussi/Redmond 

I think Forster, KWP, Salisu, JWP, Romeu, Stuart Armstrong, Adams and Broja are nailed on though. 

It’s sad how quickly mood has changed since that FA Cup draw that we lose 3 in a row inc. 2 at home

However, expectations lowered might play into our hands here, if someone offered me qualification to the semifinals for 3 defeats in the PL in a row I’d also like to think 90% of us would have accepted that anyway.

Do your best Saints! :) 

• Like 1

Anybody who thinks we are getting anything out of this needs to give their head a wobble.  If we can keep the scoreline respectable then that's good enough for me, in our current form City to win at a canter.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

30 minutes ago, Micky said:

Anybody who thinks we are getting anything out of this needs to give their head a wobble.  If we can keep the scoreline respectable then that's good enough for me, in our current form City to win at a canter.

To trot out a tired old cliche, I wouldn't want to be next to you in the trenches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Weirdly this kind of game might suit us, we're not expected to go and win and we'll have a clear game plain to suffocate and contain the opposition. We're better on the break, so it'll probably be better than the last two.

We don't do as well in games when teams sit 2 banks of 4 in front and expect us to play around them, we don't have the level of players to do that in those '10' roles. We do have the players to dig in, press and break though.

Exactly.. city will attack us and press us ! Win the ball high up the pitch with urgency like in the spurs / manure games we will steal this one 

43 minutes ago, Micky said:

Getting Deja vu from last time we played City and the time before. We did alright in those two.

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I won’t bother going then eh. 

There's always a bit of hope (not lost to them twice this season) and it's a one off cup game, but when I look at the three "performances" I've seen this week resulting in really poor defeats combined with calamity defending i sense we're ripe for a battering. City sometimes are happy to coast to an easy 2-0 and don't always go in for the kill so there's that as well. 

Will Broja have concussion be allowed to play? KWP was on the wrong end of some nasty challenges as well, need all out key players available and top of their game. 

27 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

To trot out a tired old cliche, I wouldn't want to be next to you in the trenches.

How have our trench soldiers done in the last few games?   I'm only voicing a realistic opinion based on current form. 

I just get the feeling we are going to nick this one. I have not idea why after the last 3 games. I did think we would win 3-0 today though 🤔 

…Oh yeah it’s because this is football and we are The Saints! 

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, JRM said:

There's always a bit of hope (not lost to them twice this season) and it's a one off cup game, but when I look at the three "performances" I've seen this week resulting in really poor defeats combined with calamity defending i sense we're ripe for a battering. City sometimes are happy to coast to an easy 2-0 and don't always go in for the kill so there's that as well. 

Will Broja have concussion be allowed to play? KWP was on the wrong end of some nasty challenges as well, need all out key players available and top of their game. 

We can do it if like you say all our players are at the top of their game. I’ll go and hope for a famous victory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

We can do it if like you say all our players are at the top of their game. I’ll go and hope for a famous victory.

Would be magic,  it would be a huge lift for the club to do that and get to Wembley. 

I'm taking the nippers and helped out a friend who wanted to take kids as well in the family bit, making sure I set their expectations at a realistic level, hope for the best, prepare for the worst. 

• Like 2

1976 was the hottest summer on record and I went off to University 

2022 and we have a war in Europe we have moved house and caught Covid 

FA Cup runs coincide with memorable years 

At least hopefully Jan Valery will be playing 

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Would be magic,  it would be a huge lift for the club to do that and get to Wembley. 

I'm taking the nippers and helped out a friend who wanted to take kids as well in the family bit, making sure I set their expectations at a realistic level, hope for the best, prepare for the worst. 

Best way to be imo.

I'm sure the players will respond and give it a go. A good start and the last 3 games will be forgotten. Despite 3 knock backs we aren't completely useless.

However this is City and if they are in the mood we are toast.

Need to get back to high energy levels, quick passing, doing the the simple things well, believe in themselves, oh and don't be shit.

Going to need high levels of shithousery for this game. Break up play by any means possible when they have the ball. 

Assuming Ralph will want to use his squad a bit, I expect the team to be.

Forster

Tino Valery Salisu KWP

Armstrong JWP Romeu Redmond

A Armstrong Adams

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, macca155 said:

I'm sure the players will respond and give it a go. A good start and the last 3 games will be forgotten. Despite 3 knock backs we aren't completely useless.

Need to get back to high energy levels, quick passing, doing the the simple things well, believe in themselves, oh and don't be shit.

Going to need high levels of shithousery for this game. Break up play by any means possible when they have the ball. 

Forster

Tino Valery Salisu KWP

A Armstrong Adams

I think this is the way to go.

48 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Forster

Tino Valery Salisu KWP

A Armstrong Adams

There's a two week break after this game so giving squad players a run out just because it's the cup doesn't make any sense to me 

Got to go strongest possible line up for this, but problem is I have no idea who that is. The group that have just played the last 3 games, don't deserve to start this one, but not sure what else you do.

We should get a bit more space in behind, which should give Broja a bit more space, but doesn't seem to have "wanted it" for the last 3 games, he's been really passive.

I wonder if we'll tweak the system again, though I'm pretty sure that we have played 4-2-2-2 against City both times this season? Not bothered about either Stephens or Bednarek, they're both poor.  I'd like to see Redmond given a run out, thought he looked bright when he came on yesterday.  Guess there will be a chance of playing DIallo, possibly in that kind of hybrid 352/4222 we played a few times earlier on in the season. Atleast we know we shouldn't get bullied like the last 2 home games...We will have to at our best, and hope City have an off day. If we play like we did in the last 3 games, I fear the worst.

Caballero

KWP Stephens Salisu Perraud

Armstrong Romeu JWP Redmond

Broja Adams

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

There's a two week break after this game so giving squad players a run out just because it's the cup doesn't make any sense to me 

I think it's more about giving squad players a game. Like it or not that seems to be the clubs way forward.

20 hours ago, Uncle Albert said:

Most important game of the season so far, win this and it’s the difference between a great season and a decent season. Going in low on confidence but if ever there’s a game the players are going to be up for its this one.

Said that about the last two semi finals. Only the fans turned up though.

20 hours ago, fanimal said:

1976 was the hottest summer on record and I went off to University 

2022 and we have a war in Europe we have moved house and caught Covid 

FA Cup runs coincide with memorable years 

At least hopefully Jan Valery will be playing 

Maybe but 2022 really will be a year to forget, maybe even the last year for all of us so there will be no memories at all. 

6 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Got to go strongest possible line up for this, but problem is I have no idea who that is. The group that have just played the last 3 games, don't deserve to start this one, but not sure what else you do.

We should get a bit more space in behind, which should give Broja a bit more space, but doesn't seem to have "wanted it" for the last 3 games, he's been really passive.

I wonder if we'll tweak the system again, though I'm pretty sure that we have played 4-2-2-2 against City both times this season? Not bothered about either Stephens or Bednarek, they're both poor.  I'd like to see Redmond given a run out, thought he looked bright when he came on yesterday.  Guess there will be a chance of playing DIallo, possibly in that kind of hybrid 352/4222 we played a few times earlier on in the season. Atleast we know we shouldn't get bullied like the last 2 home games...We will have to at our best, and hope City have an off day. If we play like we did in the last 3 games, I fear the worst.

Caballero

KWP Stephens Salisu Perraud

Armstrong Romeu JWP Redmond

Broja Adams

What's your problem with Elyounoussi, he was our only scorer on Sunday and almost had a brace. Redmond is a million light years away from match fitness and match effectiveness and is not a natural No 10, more an old fashion winger who will get in Perraud's way.

53 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What's your problem with Elyounoussi, he was our only scorer on Sunday and almost had a brace. Redmond is a million light years away from match fitness and match effectiveness and is not a natural No 10, more an old fashion winger who will get in Perraud's way.

Sort of agree but I don't think Elyounoussi had a good game. He was off the pace and left Perraud exposed at times. He's been great so certainly not bashing him, defo a 1st team player. I think he was a victim of the tactics more than anything. He just doesn't have the engine for box to box work. He does have a box of tricks in close play and knows where the goal is. Probably our most obvious No10 at the moment.

Redmond has pace and energy, and certainly would have supported Perraud more, best part of his game frankly.

However he will be ring rusty and there is nothing to suggest that he can offer anything different from what we have going forward. Djneppo (God help us) is probably in front of him.

• Like 1

I'm not going... 3 nil win for Saints. 😄

Seriously City are cup lovers and I can't see us getting past them in our current form. It's a shame as I'd love a cup run with our league season all but over but as long as we go down swinging I'll be happy. 

Cue an odd selection from Ralph...

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Ralph’s so clever he can build a team around Smallbone. Pick an OAP as a goalkeeper just to be fair. It is fickle game but I have no faith he will get the team right for this one. 

Ralph Rabbithutch defended his decision to make several changes as Sorry Saints fell to a heavy defeat against slick City. Rabbithutch said a number of his players are suffering from fatigue due to the recent intense fixture schedule that has now seen his side lose 4 games in a row for the first time this season. 

6 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Play like Palace did, and how we did against them last time.

Take them to penalties. Sub Caballero on if he's not already on the pitch. Win the shoot out.

Easy.

Hats off to Palace, they seem to be Man City's bogey side, 

74% possession, 18 shots and a 0-0 draw, City looked very frustrated at the end 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-4 Man City - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic