Mateusz Lis

SuperSAINT

Welcome onboard Lis :) On a free transfer. I expect the plan as has been reported is to loan him out to one of the clubs that Sport Republic have acquired. We have Bazunu, Caballero and Mccarthy. Very happy with our options in between the sticks for next season. 

Edited by davefizzy14

2 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Signed as backup to Bazunu?

I doubt it, we already have McCarthy and Caballero for that. The suggestion has been that Lis will go out on loan this season (maybe to a new club joining the Sport Republic group of clubs), perhaps Lis will then become 3rd choice next summer if Caballero leaves in 2023. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I doubt it, we already have McCarthy and Caballero for that. The suggestion has been that Liz will go out on loan this season (maybe to a new club joining the Sport Republic group of clubs), perhaps Liz will then become 3rd choice next summer if Caballero leaves in 2023. 

You mean doing exactly what you said wouldn’t happen a few weeks ago?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

All seems a bit bizarre this one really. He's 25, plodding along in some third rate league. We pick him up and likely instantly loan him. Not criticising as such...just my limited brain can't really follow the logic of this

Me neither, but it’s (likely to be) a low cost gamble and an opportunity it’s to see if he can be a step up on Harry Lewis and therefore actually reasonable enough as our third choice keeper.

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Me neither, but it’s (likely to be) a low cost gamble and an opportunity it’s to see if he can be a step up on Harry Lewis and therefore actually reasonable enough as our third choice keeper.

Could be. If we're following the analytics model that Brentford used with Ankersen, it could be they've seen things others have not. So, we may see some low fee left field signings. Or we've got to start our player farm somewhere. 🙂

• Like 1

From Matt Le Tiss to Matteusz Lis. There's a song in there somewhere....

Welcome. It seems the club see the raw GK credentials of a decent keeper but at 25 he's no spring chicken, even for a GK. Maybe he can be molded into a decent keeper. At worst, hypothetically, if we do get relegated we'll not have to worry too much about GK cover.

• Haha 1

We're taking a gamble that Lis is going to be Polish first choice soon (other polish goalies are mid 30s) and that Bazuna will be with us for only a couple of years.

He would be used abroad to polish his skills and we won't have to pay a fortune for a replacement keeper in 24/25.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

@Turkish exactly 'here we go'

The usual fiasco of you accusing me of saying something I did not say because English comprehension lets you down, me asking for evidence and you failing to provide it!

More like the usual fiasco of you never wanting to be seen as being wrong.

• Like 14
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

All seems a bit bizarre this one really. He's 25, plodding along in some third rate league. We pick him up and likely instantly loan him. Not criticising as such...just my limited brain can't really follow the logic of this

This seems like the most pointless signing we've ever made. Signing a player from a crap and then likely to loan him out to an equally crap team. If he ain't good enough now he never will be - he's not exactly young at 25..... and on a 5 year deal, wtf.........

1 minute ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

This seems like the most pointless signing we've ever made. Signing a player from a crap and then likely to loan him out to an equally crap team. If he ain't good enough now he never will be - he's not exactly young at 25..... and on a 5 year deal, wtf.........

I give you Carillo and Forren....

27 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Eh??

As that was under mine, I just meant that although it seems to be an unlikely signing, the recruitment team may well have seen specific things in his game that we need. That's what the very analytics driven clubs are doing. They might think he's already got things we want, and that others can be improved upon. It's a low cost, potentially decent profit signing.

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

As that was under mine, I just meant that although it seems to be an unlikely signing, the recruitment team may well have seen specific things in his game that we need. That's what the very analytics driven clubs are doing. They might think he's already got things we want, and that others can be improved upon. It's a low cost, potentially decent profit signing.

If he makes more than 5 first team appearances in 5 years I'll eat my own arsehole........

• Haha 4

Just now, whiteleySaint30 said:

If he makes more than 5 first team appearances in 5 years I'll eat my own arsehole........

Could well be. The other bit of my post about Sport Republic picking up potentially profitable deals, and with a stable of clubs through which to play them, if not directly loan them elsewhere.

He may well be playing more than 5 games in 5 years, somewhere in the Sport Republic group. But I know you meant us, so I'll not hold you to that. I'd not have held you to that under any circumstances. 🙂

Identify player with some key/required attributes... add to those through systemised cross club training within the group...   use clubs within the group to find best fit for player... play him with a view to making a profit.

37 minutes ago, Nolan said:

We're taking a gamble that Lis is going to be Polish first choice soon (other polish goalies are mid 30s) and that Bazuna will be with us for only a couple of years.

He would be used abroad to polish his skills and we won't have to pay a fortune for a replacement keeper in 24/25.

Dragowski is 24 and likely to be way better than Lis, so he'd struggle to get in for Polannd. Can't really comment though as never seen this guy play.

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Don’t feel too bad, my huge brain can’t follow the rationale either 

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

I doubt it, we already have McCarthy and Caballero for that. The suggestion has been that Liz will go out on loan this season (maybe to a new club joining the Sport Republic group of clubs), perhaps Liz will then become 3rd choice next summer if Caballero leaves in 2023. 

Liz MacDonald to be 3rd choice keeper in 23/24 you heard it here first!

• Haha 1

It’s new to us, signing players with no hope of making our first team, and it is a bit of a shame not getting excited by a new transfer, but Man City, Watford and Brighton have been doing this for a few years now, it’s normal for a group led club.

10 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Yep, don't get it either to be honest.

13 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Wasn't aimed at you, was just aimed at the signing in general. 

I thought work permit issues prevented us from signing Polish keeper Drągowski from Fiorentina, and he's actually played for Poland? I wonder why a work permit would be any more likely for Liz who's not got international credentials?

A few options for English goalies on frees this summer (John Ruddy and Sam Johnston spring to mind). Assuming its balancing act of wages and ambitions in regards to goalies but Cabellero seems a pointless contract extension to me but maybe his wages are reasonable and he's happy to be third choice when others would want to be first choice and have wages that reflect that?

18 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

I reckon he’s a moneyball signing that Ankersen has been tracking. Probably has all the physical attributes and Saints feel the technical attributes can be improved, here or out on loan.  

It's not the signing itself that's odd, it's the combination of extending McCarthy and caballero, signing a 20 year old "wonderkid" goalkeeper who you'd think will be expecting to start before long, AND then a 25 year old keeper who has been playing regularly for the last few years. If we had let McCarthy go it would have made sense, Lis as backup and Willy as third choice, but now it's just...odd.

It reminds me of when I used to play football manager, I was so forgetful I would sometimes agree a contract with an expiring player from another club and then at the end of the season sign another player in the same position forgetting I already had one coming in. 

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It's not the signing itself that's odd, it's the combination of extending McCarthy and caballero, signing a 20 year old "wonderkid" goalkeeper who you'd think will be expecting to start before long, AND then a 25 year old keeper who has been playing regularly for the last few years. If we had let McCarthy go it would have made sense, Lis as backup and Willy as third choice, but now it's just...odd.

It reminds me of when I used to play football manager, I was so forgetful I would sometimes agree a contract with an expiring player from another club and then at the end of the season sign another player in the same position forgetting I already had one coming in. 

Succession planning?

McCarthy and Caballero move on at the end of the season and he becomes number 2.

• Like 1

One would hope that the idea of him being on loan is that the club he’s at pays all/most of his wages, so that it’s a very low risk approach.

Hes been signed from division two Polish football so I can’t imagine he’s on a huge amount as it is.

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

One would hope that the idea of him being on loan is that the club he’s at pays all/most of his wages, so that it’s a very low risk approach.

Hes been signed from division two Polish football so I can’t imagine he’s on a huge amount as it is.

I think he's been signed from top flight turkish football, but the team has just been relegated and he didn't renew with them.

I'd be pretty miffed if this was McCarthy's main competition, but it isn't...and it's a fairly safe approach to baulk out the GK positions. It's succession planning I guess, with the plan to loan him out this year, Willy retires next year, he comes back to the club next year to fight with McCarthy and Bazanu for a place in the side. 

That's how I see it going anyway. Certainly better options than Lewis and McAarthy.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

So we pay him a full seasons extra wages so he can be number two next season? 

Why would we do that if we loan him out? Struggling to work out why it puzzles you so much. He will be on a very low wage. That wage likely covered by a loan move. Then if it suits we bring him back to be part of our squad. If it doesnt then we keep loaning him out/sell him.

Its an extremely low risk scenario that the club/SR obviously have a plan for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

He has been playing top flight football in Poland and Turkey for the last 3 seasons (Turkey last season, Poland the two before that). He hasn't played second level since he was on loan in the Czech Republic 4 years ago. Perhaps you are getting confused with Gavin who was playing in a 3rd tier part time league for some crap team last season 😉

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mateusz Lis