2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

52 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Whatever happened to Maguire, it's time to admit it's not getting better. He'd struggle in a walking football league. Hopefully he's not picked for England.

I'm actually feeling a little sorry for them now.. totally dysfunctional football club.

He seems to have lost it after being arrested and locked up , not sure if that's even been sorted 100% . The £80M price tag would probably be nearer £10M now 😄

14 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

He seems to have lost it after being arrested and locked up , not sure if that's even been sorted 100% . The £80M price tag would probably be nearer £10M now 😄

They've got Liverpool next 😳 😄

Edited by BotleySaint

I don't understand why Ten Hag and Man Utd thought it was a good idea to sign a 5ft 8 Centre Back for a Premier League team.

He might be a good footballer, but stick him at CB or DM in this league with that physicality and he will be eaten alive and spat out again. £59m on a profile of player so far away from what they need. Bizarre club.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't understand why Ten Hag and Man Utd thought it was a good idea to sign a 5ft 8 Centre Back for a Premier League team.

He might be a good footballer, but stick him at CB or DM in this league with that physicality and he will be eaten alive and spat out again. £59m on a profile of player so far away from what they need. Bizarre club.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Watching MOTD and given all the flak united (and some of their players routinely get), how does both Sancho and on a greater extent, Rashford, get away with it.

St Marcus is stealing a living, and has been for ages.

They don't get away with it from their own fans! Sancho being labelled as their worst ever signing, and they all want shot of Rashford.

Both of them are so far away from the england squad right now.

I don't know how Red Nev can accuse them of not spending money with a straight face. It doesn't matter if it comes from commercial revenue, the Glazers or selling old records at a car boot sale. In the last four or five years

AWB - £50m

Fred - £55m

Lukaku - £80m

Fernandes - £55m

Maguire - £80m

Sancho - £80m

Pogba - £90m

Whatever wages Ronaldo is on.

54 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I don't know how Red Nev can accuse them of not spending money with a straight face. It doesn't matter if it comes from commercial revenue, the Glazers or selling old records at a car boot sale. In the last four or five years

AWB - £50m

Fred - £55m

Lukaku - £80m

Fernandes - £55m

Maguire - £80m

Sancho - £80m

Pogba - £90m

Yep, I don't get it either. Liverpool are largely close to their net spend although they haven't spent a lot and City recoup a lot from their academy sales etc etc

He is sounding like a broken record now, even if they are spending their commercial revenue that too should be more than enough to beat Brentford etc whose squad cost £55m.

The longer their rot continues the more music to my ears! 

It's just that their next away game is us now... 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

AWB - £50m

Fred - £55m

Lukaku - £80m

Fernandes - £55m

Maguire - £80m

Sancho - £80m

Pogba - £90m

The line up yesterday cost in total @ 373m, that includes the freebies of Ronaldo & Eriksen. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

AWB - £50m

Fred - £55m

Lukaku - £80m

Fernandes - £55m

Maguire - £80m

Sancho - £80m

Pogba - £90m

That lot can't be asked to compete with Brighton and Brentford, unless the Glazers have sold out

Just now, JRM said:

It's seen as a double punishment isn't it so just a yellow, unless no deliberate attempt to play the ball 

I thought that was for tackles? Deliberate handballs stopping a goal still a red?

Only seen one replay angle of it, but looked like a brilliant save from McKenna.

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

Because he wasn't last man. Henderson was behind him.

But when a defender gets sent off for 'taking out' a forward he gets sent off as 'last man'. The goalie is (nearly) always behind the defender then. Are they saying they didn't send him of because the goalie would probably have saved it? A very slippery slope if that's the logic!

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

Because he wasn't last man. Henderson was behind him.

Not the rule. Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity isn't invalidated by the keeper being in position - otherwise no-one would ever get sent off when fouled going clean through.

Handball that denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity is a red card.

Except when the officials bottle it.

Edit (from the FA):

"Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling,

pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence, the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area).

The following must be considered:

distance between the offence and the goal

general direction of the play

likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball

location and number of defenders"

Edited by qwertyell
Clarifying the rule

1 minute ago, qwertyell said:

Not the rule. Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity isn't invalidated by the keeper being in position - otherwise no-one would ever get sent off when fouled going clean through.

Handball that denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity is a red card.

Except when the officials bottle it.

I thought the rule changed so you dont get double whammied....ie, a red card and a penalty, unless it is for dangerous play...or something like that

2 minutes ago, Eric The Red said:

But when a defender gets sent off for 'taking out' a forward he gets sent off as 'last man'. The goalie is (nearly) always behind the defender then. Are they saying they didn't send him of because the goalie would probably have saved it? A very slippery slope if that's the logic!

I'm not sure to be honest. Jim Beglin offered that explanation during the game. Because Henderson was directly behind him and would have blocked it if he hadn't handled it.

Again. I'm no expert. I was just offering up the explanation I heard.

20 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

I'm not sure to be honest. Jim Beglin offered that explanation during the game. Because Henderson was directly behind him and would have blocked it if he hadn't handled it.

Again. I'm no expert. I was just offering up the explanation I heard.

I understand that was the reason (excuse) given and have no problem with you passing it on, just that I don't understand how deliberate handball of a goal bound shot isn't a sending off. I would have been incensed if that had been Saints rather than West Ham with the shot.

• Like 1