2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

while it is kind of satisfying in the short term seeing Chelsea, Man City, etc. drop points, it means our relegation rivals are gaining points.

I look at the 20 teams this year and it is difficult to make an argument for any of them going down - save maybe Bournemouth.

The top 6 may end up in the top 6 this year, but it really feels like the bottom 14 have been more equal to each other than ever (at least to my admitted limited knowledge of history).

Its going to be a dog fight.

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, SaintTex said:

while it is kind of satisfying in the short term seeing Chelsea, Man City, etc. drop points, it means our relegation rivals are gaining points.

I look at the 20 teams this year and it is difficult to make an argument for any of them going down - save maybe Bournemouth.

The top 6 may end up in the top 6 this year, but it really feels like the bottom 14 have been more equal to each other than ever (at least to my admitted limited knowledge of history).

Its going to be a dog fight.

Honestly, to be thinking like that only three games into a season is just exhausting and saps all my enjoyment from football. As far as I’m concerned anyone can still end up having a good or bad season, I really can’t be arsed having these micro-anxieties over Leeds or Forest picking up an unexpected point.

Leeds thumped Chelsea and good on them.

• Like 9

It was touched on yesterday but there definitely a sense that the mid/lower teams have nothing to fear and realise their best form of defence is attack.

It certainly unnerves the higher ranked teams.

It’s too early to judge really. Bournemouth may have lost two but they were both against the top six.

Forest got extremely lucky to gain anything against West Ham and walked away with a win; whereas this weekend the really deserved to beat Everton.

Leeds - fair play brilliant start.

Us - a good start too. Etc…

I think there will be a top six-eight that are slightly ahead of the pack but I think they’ll be a couple of new teams pushing in there.
The rest of the league is just an absolute free for all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Honestly, to be thinking like that only three games into a season is just exhausting and saps all my enjoyment from football. As far as I’m concerned anyone can still end up having a good or bad season, I really can’t be arsed having these micro-anxieties over Leeds or Forest picking up an unexpected point.

Leeds thumped Chelsea and good on them.

Agree

Remember Palace a few seasons back, they didn’t get a single point or goal in the first 7, yet they ended up staying up comfortably. We also a couple of seasons back had a massively tough first 10-12 games and everyone was predicting relegation but we were fine.

Far far too early to tell, promoted teams generally start well because of coming off a high, Leeds are probably still in new manger bounce period, teams will make signings, managers will get sacked etc.

Even making predictions after like 12 games    you can end up looking silly. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

Tonight should be interesting to see if Ten Hag has managed to bang all their heads together or fragmented a team of what looks like a collection of very expensive individuals with their own agendas even more.

Yes, a heavy defeat tonight and a poor result in their next game and you have to wonder if they'll stick with him. His arrival appears to have made a bad situation worse. They might as well have stuck with Solskjaer!

10 nil would make for some interesting headlines.. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Yes, a heavy defeat tonight and a poor result in their next game and you have to wonder if they'll stick with him. His arrival appears to have made a bad situation worse. They might as well have stuck with Solskjaer!

10 nil would make for some interesting headlines.. 

But how much longer can they continue shuffling through managers before tackling the crux of the problem?

So many horrible characters as players in that club (and terrible players too), terrible ownership, equally bad football management/DoF stuff. Until those things are fixed, they'll just keep cycling through manager after manager with no strategy. 

First thing they need to do is work out what they are, what style they want to play, let the manager build that and go from there.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

But how much longer can they continue shuffling through managers before tackling the crux of the problem?

So many horrible characters as players in that club (and terrible players too), terrible ownership, equally bad football management/DoF stuff. Until those things are fixed, they'll just keep cycling through manager after manager with no strategy. 

First thing they need to do is work out what they are, what style they want to play, let the manager build that and go from there.

Totally agree. But they can't just sell the whole squad. Someone needs to come in and work to change attitudes. And be brave enough to drop the egos that are having a negative impact.

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

because it was not dangerous?

Is that the criterion for making it yellow? Trippier himself admitted it was deliberate. Is it not dangerous to trip someone who is in full flight? A major impact on the flow of the Man City move. If it ain't technically a red, I think it should be. And I bet I'm not alone.

2 minutes ago, Piran said:

Is that the criterion for making it yellow? Trippier himself admitted it was deliberate. Is it not dangerous to trip someone who is in full flight? A major impact on the flow of the Man City move. If it ain't technically a red, I think it should be. And I bet I'm not alone.

many things happen deliberately that do not come with a red card.  Trippier's challenge was not dangerous and rightly reviewed

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

They need to look at their old rivals Arsenal, slowly build and build with a clear plan and accept short term success may not happen. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

They need to look at their old rivals Arsenal, slowly build and build with a clear plan and accept short term success may not happen. 

It must be super slow because they have not won much in ages.

But to the point since Ferguson left they simply haven't had anyone with enough respect to force the big players to play together. Moreneo got closest but his toxic brand of doing this has passed it shelf life. They have also spent a lot of money so when the Man U faithful complain about lack of investment it seems a little off the point to the rest of is Premier league and lower teams trying to get by. Screw them I still remember listening to that 6-3 on Solent, one of the best afternoons I have ever had.

3 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Looking forward to tonight's car crash. If anyone has any links, very grateful if they share.

Should be able to provide something closer to kick off time.

My inlaws are Utd supporters but have never been to the ground, of course.  My wife now supports Southampton though and refers to Saints as "we" or "us" when having football conversations with her family.  One convert down, many millions to go...

• Like 2

Watching the MOTD highlights of City vs Newcastle game left me with impression of biased reffing. Offside flag (where Almiron was miles onside, thankfully overturned by var), no penalty(when stones clattered into Schar), initial red card for a trippier trip (which was thankfully overturned by var)

Edited by Baird of the land

22 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Looking forward to tonight's car crash. If anyone has any links, very grateful if they share.

He has dropped Ronaldo, Shaw, Fred and Maguire.  

Just Rashford and Sancho left in the side, from those stealing a living.   They both need to turn it on tonight.

50 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Watching the MOTD highlights of City vs Newcastle game left me with impression of biased reffing. Offside flag (where Almiron was miles onside, thankfully overturned by var), no penalty(when stones clattered into Schar), initial red card for a trippier trip (which was thankfully overturned by var)

Nope, afraid not. The bias is all on your side.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Mané will be a much bigger loss to Liverpool than they realise.

Even their bench tonight you wouldn’t say there are many options there to change the game.

They are missing Nunez, Jota, Fabinho, Keita, Thiago, Konate, Matip…might be others too. 

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Martinez is a proper shit-house

This is a bit like United of old.  Hopefully they are lethargic on Sat

The worlds best RB(tm) is not a good defender really

Trent is an appalling defender, absolutely no chance he should be anywhere near first choice RB for England. Can’t defend at all. 

Liverpool at OT in front of the cameras is a completely different proposition to Saturday though. This is exactly the kind of game all their big egos will be well up for and Liverpool very kindly decided to help them out by being sh*te. I'm not saying United will go back to being sh*te themselves on Saturday but it'll be different. 

• Like 1