2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

I have no idea what is and what isn't a handball anymore.

I saw 2 West Ham games with 2 penalties not given that I though were clear penalties. One, the player, I think was Soucek, he saved the ball.

Edited by OttawaSaint

6 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

VAR ruining the game.

VAR doesn’t do anything other than give officials a better look at an incident. If you have a gripe it’s with the officials, who are capable of making equally bad decisions in real time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

VAR doesn’t do anything other than give officials a better look at an incident. If you have a gripe it’s with the officials, who are capable of making equally bad decisions in real time.

No. It does a lot more than that. It interferes with the natural flow of the game. TV replays are misleading especially when slow motion is used plus there is the psycho visual effect whereby the more you watch something the more you become convinced that the action was deliberate.

In this instance the real time decision by the officials at the game was ‘no penalty’. And they were correct.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

I have no idea what is and what isn't a handball anymore.

I saw 2 West Ham games with 2 penalties not given that I though were clear penalties. One, the player, I think was Soucek, he saved the ball.

Remember McTominay? In their game with us. He juggled the ball three times.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Remember McTominay? In their game with us. He juggled the ball three times.

Oh yes and yet Bertie conceded a penalty with his arms behind his back and Ings goal in another game disallowed too when it never touched his arm. Heck I think in the same game that Bertie got dinged a Wolves player moved his arm to deflect the ball and no pen given.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

No. It does a lot more than that. It interferes with the natural flow of the game. TV replays are misleading especially when slow motion is used plus there is the psycho visual effect whereby the more you watch something the more you become convinced that the action was deliberate.

In this instance the real time decision by the officials at the game was ‘no penalty’. And they were correct.

Without it we have absurdity like Henry vs. Ireland, Fonte vs. Brighton and David Silva’s goal against us in 2014. You can debate whether that was really a penalty but the point is it was debatable, rather than a travesty, which is what VAR removes.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Without it we have absurdity like Henry vs. Ireland, Fonte vs. Brighton and David Silva’s goal against us in 2014. You can debate whether that was really a penalty but the point is it was debatable, rather than a travesty, which is what VAR removes.

VAR is shite mate

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No it doesn’t, it creates far more travesties than it removes.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

Just now, whelk said:

Do they ever do word counts on co-commentators? jenas just doesn’t shut up with his inane utterances

I would recommend chopping to ITV, but they have that whopper Matterface on the mic

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

No it doesn’t, it creates far more travesties than it removes.

When was goal we conceded which was a yard offside? Or one we had disallowed which was a yard on? Or penalty we conceded where a player was literally never touched and threw himself to the floor?

46 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I would recommend chopping to ITV, but they have that whopper Matterface on the mic

Soon as I heard Jenas I reached for the remote, blokes the football equivalent of Val fucking Doonican  . ITV far better, Ali Mcoist brilliant & they’ve got Keane monstering the keeper. 

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

How can it NOT be a penalty? Arms in the air, hand used to stop the ball in motion.

Um, no - that's a natural thing to do with you arms as you jump. It didn't affect the trajectory of the ball, or impact the play. A shit rule which should definitely be placed under review for next season. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

When was goal we conceded which was a yard offside? Or one we had disallowed which was a yard on? Or penalty we conceded where a player was literally never touched and threw himself to the floor?

That’s football. It’s not an exact sport, never has been and never will be. No amount of television replays will ever change that. Offside was never intended to be more accurate than a yard or two. Penalties are subjective decisions and as we all know there doesn’t have to be contact for it to be a foul.

My gripe with VAR is that it is re-refereeing the game and destroys the flow, the rhythm and the excitement but more than that it is less accurate than the person who is right there in the middle.

• Confused 1

On 27/05/2023 at 20:48, S-Clarke said:

What a story for Luton, certainly interesting to see an unusual face in the PL rather than the likes of Norwich, WBA or Watford - boring as hell.

But I kinda fear for Luton a bit, I do not see how they can compete in the PL. It's going to be a tall order and it could be quite a humbling year for them if they're not careful (not that they give a shit now, but come next January they'll probably hate it)

People said that about Burnley and a few others who have surprised and done pretty well too over the years. 

11 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

What a Cnut. 

I’m all for rivalry, but that’s just plain nasty. Keep it at banter! 

Take some solace from the fact that it’s only a matter of time until his name gets released and his life is ruined. Serves the prick right.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sussex_saint said:

Um, no - that's a natural thing to do with you arms as you jump. It didn't affect the trajectory of the ball, or impact the play. A shit rule which should definitely be placed under review for next season. 

I agree but that's an issue with the rule, not the decision. By the letter of the law, as it stands now - It was the correct decision.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I agree but that's an issue with the rule, not the decision. By the letter of the law, as it stands now - It was the correct decision.

No. It was still a subjective decision. Was his arm in an ‘unnatural position’? Did he intentionally make his body bigger? Did the referee take into account how close Grealish was?

Whatever we may think, the referee on the pitch at the time made his own decision that it wasn’t handball. He was overruled from a box somewhere a long way away from the incident.