2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Statues ore. Get a grip. Utd’s CL win immeasurably more memorable.

Forgettable game really although of course treble is some feat

Some feat if they hadn’t built this success by breaking the rules. 

The treble * 

• Haha 2

Just now, The Cat said:

Hopefully TNT will do it better when they take over from BT.

It’s fucking embarrassing. Of course the players and Pep will be emotional, and they are seriously a great side. But Brian Moore and people like that didn’t do an impression of loose women, they were professional broadcasters and people like Big Mal & Cloughie proper analysts . Fuck me, if these clowns were at Mexico ‘70 theyd be wanking live in the studio over Brazil 

47 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

McManaman is such a biased twat. So unprofessional, he’s fucking winding me up and I want city to win

To be honest when I first started watching I thought it was a female co-commentator with that whining, screeching voice.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Nathan Jones currently sat there all 😎 thinking “I’m the man who stopped Man City doing the quadruple”.

That’ll be in the autobiography, The Fittest Man (City) in the World, ghost written by Philip Schofield. 

• Haha 1

At least BT offered the game free to one and all but they seem to be bottom of the pile when it comes to finding "experts" to analyse the game for viewers.

Nothing wrong with Cesc Fabergas but he didn't get a look in with loud-mouth Ferdinand hogging the mic all evening (me, me, me). Having said that Jake Humphrey should have got a grip on the situation early on but failed miserably so good job he's off after last night's match.

It wasn't a great match by any standards but Man City and Pep Guardiola deserved their success by playing intelligent and attractive football and sticking to those principles come what may. They really are an entertainment beacon in a League that is becoming ever more grey and murky.

We are watching one of the best footballing sides ever assembled and should enjoy the spectacle while it lasts. Of course they have heaps of money and some of the best players in the world but success like this must be earned so all credit to Pep and his coaching team for their fine achievement.

Nor should we overlook the fact that four of their star players are English, would those four have enjoyed similar success elsewhere?

Edited by Charlie Wayman

12 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

I just find it very depressing. There have always been some clubs with more resources than others. But now it feels like the money behind City has created a juggernaut that has essentially made football non competitive.

I quite enjoy watching City piss off the likes of Man Utd and Arsenal. They are only doing to them what they did to everyone else for years. Face it, the only hope of a club our size having any sort of success would be if someone rich brought us and did something similar.

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I quite enjoy watching City piss off the likes of Man Utd and Arsenal. They are only doing to them what they did to everyone else for years.

What did Arsenal "do to everyone else for years"?

25 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

My point was the biggest clubs have always spent more and brought the best players from poorer clubs. I think it’s fantastic they they are all moaning like fuck about City now that they are on the other end of the stick.

They will be moaning even more once Newcastle start helping themselves to the best players.

Man City's success is a strange one, pundits and the like being mesmerised by them, but don't they realise that there is a huge asterisk against everything they've won? I'm sure the authorities will allow that to drag on for another decade though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, aintforever said:

My point was the biggest clubs have always spent more and brought the best players from poorer clubs. I think it’s fantastic they they are all moaning like fuck about City now that they are on the other end of the stick.

They will be moaning even more once Newcastle start helping themselves to the best players.

Except Arsenal didn't help themselves to the best players, Wenger built the invincibles from good scouting and coaching.

So in summary Arsenal winning the league in 98 and then in 02 and 04 is something Arsenal fans should be punished for, but City winning four seasons out of five with financial doping is brilliant lads keep going keep winning brilliant brilliant brilliant 

Absolutely crystal clear 👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

. Face it, the only hope of a club our size having any sort of success would be if someone rich brought us and did something similar.

We could have all the money in the world, we would have to break more rules than City have to find any sort of success in the league. We will never generate the revenue needed without selling players to legally spend the money needed to bridge the gap. 
In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if we pushed the boundaries this season. 

Chelsea are also making a mockery of it and I doubt they’ll get away with it. 

5 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

We could have all the money in the world, we would have to break more rules than City have to find any sort of success in the league. We will never generate the revenue needed without selling players to legally spend the money needed to bridge the gap. 
In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if we pushed the boundaries this season. 

Chelsea are also making a mockery of it and I doubt they’ll get away with it. 

Get away with what?

They have bought big, but spreading the risk over 8 years or so. Which was perfectly within the rules.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Get away with what?

They have bought big, but spreading the risk over 8 years or so. Which was perfectly within the rules.

You think they're not going to continue doing that though? It works fine now, but when you get to year 6 and you're paying for 6 years worth of signings at the same time it catches up with you. Basically it only works if they restrict themselves to one or two signings a season from here on out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

You think they're not going to continue doing that though? It works fine now, but when you get to year 6 and you're paying for 6 years worth of signings at the same time it catches up with you. Basically it only works if they restrict themselves to one or two signings a season from here on out. 

on the flip side, if 7/10 of these players become worldies, they will have paid a relatively low fee and paid them relatively low wages....in 5 years

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

on the flip side, if 7/10 of these players become worldies, they will have paid a relatively low fee and paid them relatively low wages....in 5 years

We’ll see. You can’t just keep kicking the can down the road and expect it to work. 

They need top 4 next season or their plan is fucked before it’s even started. 

6 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Change the way gate receipts were distributed so that they, Man U, etc got to keep them all.

Previously the away teams got 1/3 of the money. That is how Saints paid for Keegan. Old Trafford and Highbury were suddenly full for the visit of Saints, and  Saints got their cut. 

When that changed, the big clubs all got a lot richer.

Not that that has stopped them all from wanting to make the financial gap bigger and bigger. 

Does make me smile when they complain about City doing it to them.

1 hour ago, redkeith said:

Change the way gate receipts were distributed so that they, Man U, etc got to keep them all.

Previously the away teams got 1/3 of the money. That is how Saints paid for Keegan. Old Trafford and Highbury were suddenly full for the visit of Saints, and  Saints got their cut. 

When that changed, the big clubs all got a lot richer.

Not that that has stopped them all from wanting to make the financial gap bigger and bigger. 

Does make me smile when they complain about City doing it to them.

Er, Saints were in on that as a founder member of the Premier League. As were Manchester City.

But other than that, yeah, great point.

Jesus wept.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Er, Saints were in on that as a founder member of the Premier League. As were Manchester City.

Jesus wept.

The change in distribution of gate receipts took place in the early 80s - 84/85 I think. Before then the home side took 70% the away side took 25% and 5% went to the football league levy. After that the home side took everything. Arsenal were instrumental in trying to grab everything with the formation of the Premier league based on lying by their chairman David Dein. His story was that it wasn't right that small teams could frustrate the ambition of the big teams by outvoting them. The truth was that every first division side had one and a half votes, all the third and fourth divisions teams (then known as Associate Members) had six votes in total. So what was then the "Big Five" - Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United and laughably Spurs and Everton - could always carry the vote.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

The change in distribution of gate receipts took place in the early 80s - 84/85 I think. Before then the home side took 70% the away side took 25% and 5% went to the football league levy. After that the home side took everything. Arsenal were instrumental in trying to grab everything with the formation of the Premier league based on lying by their chairman David Dein. His story was that it wasn't right that small teams could frustrate the ambition of the big teams by outvoting them. The truth was that every first division side had one and a half votes, all the third and fourth divisions teams (then known as Associate Members) had six votes in total. So what was then the "Big Five" - Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United and laughably Spurs and Everton - could always carry the vote.

Ok, so we are going back 40 years - so the logic further up the thread is that it is absolutely fine for Manchester City to dominate football winning everything for a decade or more because it pisses off Arsenal because of stuff that happened 40 years ago. When, and lets be absolutely clear about this, Arsenal didn't dominate anything because they won the league one entire time in the 1980s. 

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Jesus wept.

The gate receipts thing was mid 80 s, way before the priemer league , so I really can't  see how Saints being in the top flight when it became the Pl is in any way relevant. We just joined by default,  they would have invited Wolves or some other club with a bigger ground if they could.  

Really not sure why you are so angry about my post. I don't think that there is anything factually incorrect,  but fill your boots. 

12 minutes ago, redkeith said:

The gate receipts thing was mid 80 s, way before the priemer league , so I really can't  see how Saints being in the top flight when it became the Pl is in any way relevant. We just joined by default,  they would have invited Wolves or some other club with a bigger ground if they could.  

Really not sure why you are so angry about my post. I don't think that there is anything factually incorrect,  but fill your boots. 

The formation of the Premier League created a bigger financial schism and disparity than whatever happened in 1980s.

The question from the original post I replied to was what have Arsenal "done to everyone else for years" and all that people seem to come up with is the gate receipts thing 40 odd years ago. But the formation of the Premier League in 1992 is er, "not in any way relevant" but shit that happened in 1983 is relevant. Got it.

Edited by CB Fry

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Ok, so we are going back 40 years - so the logic further up the thread is that it is absolutely fine for Manchester City to dominate football winning everything for a decade or more because it pisses off Arsenal because of stuff that happened 40 years ago. When, and lets be absolutely clear about this, Arsenal didn't dominate anything because they won the league one entire time in the 1980s. 

Didn’t Arsenal do it unbeaten ?

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Except Arsenal didn't help themselves to the best players, Wenger built the invincibles from good scouting and coaching.

So in summary Arsenal winning the league in 98 and then in 02 and 04 is something Arsenal fans should be punished for, but City winning four seasons out of five with financial doping is brilliant lads keep going keep winning brilliant brilliant brilliant 

Absolutely crystal clear 👌

My point was that the big clubs have always spent more than everyone else and poached the best players. Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool dominated for years, then Chelsea muscled their way in now City have. Next one will be Newcastle. 

I work with a load of Arsenal fans and they can’t stand what City are doing, constantly moaning about the ‘oil clubs’ - it’s funny as fuck. They are already shitting themselves because they know the ‘murderers’ at Newcastle will soon be doing the same. They are just bitter because they are not the big fish anymore, they would take the dirty money in a heartbeat.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Our annual linked player Brandon Williams didn't take the Man City win last night too well. 

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/man-utds-brandon-williams-takes-dig-at-man-city-on-insta-after-their-treble-win-397002

9 more posts on his story about it, regarding going on podcasts on Monday, exposing all and getting "nibbles" from City fans.

Unfortunately, this is the danger when you take kids out of school so early in life and get them to concentrate solely on football....

@rioferdy5 Bet you don’t congratulate if you was player keep the same morals. too face is boring

• Like 1
  • Haha 1