2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Surely the defender should have wiped Noble out there and taken a red card?

I thought that, but what happens if it’s offside on VAR? Does the red still apply?

1 hour ago, Killers Knee said:

Promoted together in 2012, but our fortunes somewhat diverged.  Congrats.

Not really, like us they’ve had a handful of decent seasons and a handful of crap ones. We’ve had a domestic cup final and a couple of semis, they’ve won the third best competition in Europe. I’m not knocking a cup win, I’m sure I’d love being a Hammer tonight, but they’ve hardly left us eating their dust over the last 11 years.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

….but they’ve hardly left us eating their dust over the last 11 years.

Not sure if you noticed but we got relegated to the noddy league and they won a Euro thingy, I’d say that was a divergence from us being slightly better than them a decade ago.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Not really, like us they’ve had a handful of decent seasons and a handful of crap ones. We’ve had a domestic cup final and a couple of semis, they’ve won the third best competition in Europe. I’m not knocking a cup win, I’m sure I’d love being a Hammer tonight, but they’ve hardly left us eating their dust over the last 11 years.

Well, they will continue more successive seasons in Europe, won a major trophy and sign much better players.

We have been run on a shoe-string for a few years, although Gao had more passion than Karen Brady.....oh, and we are relegated, finished dead last  having appointed 2 absolute clowns as managers and about to lose most of the first team.  All is well, Manji tells us the owners are throwing around hundreds of millions of £££ and this is supposed to be really exciting

• Like 1

Hey boys is it going to be a case of whenever a team wins something you are all going to say ‘if only us blah blah’? Grow up we got relegated FFS. Happens to 3 teams every season. It will happen to Brighton and Brentford at some point.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

Promoted together in 2012, but our fortunes somewhat diverged.  Congrats.

They were gifted a 60k stadium to be fair, changed the dynamic a bit. 

Looks like they enjoyed this European tour, fair play. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

They were gifted a 60k stadium to be fair, changed the dynamic a bit. 

Looks like they enjoyed this European tour, fair play. 

We couldn’t fill a 60k stadium tho we just havnt got the fanbase … West Ham have a huge fanbase and fill their stadium.. watching that last night and comparing us to them is ridiculous.. they’ve always had a bigger louder following than us ! Scummy !!but a lot bigger ! 
arab nations wouldn’t waste their time buying a small fry club like us for lots of reasons and one of them is our fanbase.. look at Newcastle.. West Ham could easily replicate them .. Leeds Everton etc .. we just don’t have the the atmosphere down here the irony is since we’ve moved it’s dire !

10 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Maybe you should do a poll. Would you swap eleven seasons in the premier league and not winning a trophy for winning a trophy and having seasons like West Ham.

I would absolutely swap out last 11 years for what they've just had.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Maybe you should do a poll. Would you swap eleven seasons in the premier league and not winning a trophy for winning a trophy and having seasons like West Ham.

No, you'd swap the last 2 months for what we've had. When we played West Ham two months ago we were on 23 points, they were on 24. The 11 years previous to that there really was very little to choose between the two clubs.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I’d happily take the season Man City had over ours

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

We couldn’t fill a 60k stadium tho we just havnt got the fanbase … West Ham have a huge fanbase and fill their stadium.. watching that last night and comparing us to them is ridiculous.. they’ve always had a bigger louder following than us ! Scummy !!but a lot bigger ! 
arab nations wouldn’t waste their time buying a small fry club like us for lots of reasons and one of them is our fanbase.. look at Newcastle.. West Ham could easily replicate them .. Leeds Everton etc .. we just don’t have the the atmosphere down here the irony is since we’ve moved it’s dire !

They also have the luxury of being in London and being able to attract a load of tourists to fill the stadium.

When we beat them 3-1 when Tadic scored the ground was half empty with 10 minutes to go as the tourists drifted off home early.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No, you'd swap the last 2 months for what we've had. When we played West Ham two months ago we were on 23 points, they were on 24. The 11 years previous to that there really was very little to choose between the two clubs.

utter bollocks. They will now be in Europe for the 3rd consecutive season, last season they got to a semi final and now won a trophy. League wise there hasn't been much to chose between us but struggling along in the premier league making up the numbers with 2-3 good season in 10 years doesn't really do it for me. I'd swap every single season we've had since i was born in 1977 for their season this season. Winning trophies for clubs of our size has become a once in a life time thing. I know some people will sneer at the competition but i'd rather be sneered at for winning something than happily celebrating my club surviving for another season in the premier league. And yes i would take relegation and winning a trophy every single season over finishing 10th rather than 16th.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

A 60k stadium with London price tickets where SMS is, and with the associated terrible transport links? Nah probably not. But built somewhere a bit more accessible with proper transport links? I reckon we could get up to 50k if the increased revenue led to improvements on the pitch (i.e. not being utter shite). Ultimately the London stadium is extremely well served by public transport and has a dense population around it. Saints have fans travelling from across Hampshire, Wilshire, Dorset and probably some from Somerset - to a stadium with no direct public transport links and in a city with limited parking (near the ground) or rail access 🤷‍♂️. Our fanbase isn't as small as people make it out to be, but getting to the ground is a challenge. People said we'd never sell out SMS when it was first proposed, and yet we maintain a decent attendance even when its been dirge for a year and despite it being a pretty uninspiring stadium and a cost of living crisis.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

utter bollocks. They will now be in Europe for the 3rd consecutive season, last season they got to a semi final and now won a trophy. League wise there hasn't been much to chose between us but struggling along in the premier league making up the numbers with 2-3 good season in 10 years doesn't really do it for me. I'd swap every single season we've had since i was born in 1977 for their season this season. Winning trophies for clubs of our size has become a once in a life time thing. I know some people will sneer at the competition but i'd rather be sneered at for winning something than happily celebrating my club surviving for another season in the premier league. And yes i would take relegation and winning a trophy every single season over finishing 10th rather than 16th.

The original point I was responding to was that West Ham and Saints have diverged on different tracks since promotion 11 years ago. We haven't. Their 5 best seasons have been 6th, 7th, 7th, 10th, 10th. Our five best seasons have been 6th, 7th, 8th, 8th, 11th. We've had a cup final, beating the likes of Palace, Arsenal and Liverpool before losing to Man Utd. They've had a cup final beating the likes of Gent, Silkeborg and Steaua before beating Fiorentina.

We've both had a couple of forrays into Europe, we could have had a decent crack at the third best European club tournament, had it existed when we were good, but it didn't. That's it, that's the difference between us.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The original point I was responding to was that West Ham and Saints have diverged on different tracks since promotion 11 years ago. We haven't. Their 5 best seasons have been 6th, 7th, 7th, 10th, 10th. Our five best seasons have been 6th, 7th, 8th, 8th, 11th. We've had a cup final, beating the likes of Palace, Arsenal and Liverpool before losing to Man Utd. They've had a cup final beating the likes of Gent, Silkeborg and Steaua before beating Fiorentina.

We've both had a couple of forrays into Europe, we could have had a decent crack at the third best European club tournament, had it existed when we were good, but it didn't. That's it, that's the difference between us.

they won it. We didn't. They got to the semi final of the Europa league we didn't make it past group stages and people complained about the boring football. therein lies the difference.

Do you think the skates celebrated their FA Cup final win in 2008 less because they only beat West Brom in the semi final and Cardiff in the final? I'd say not. 

Fucking losing mentality all over this club.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

It will annoy me til the day I die that we prioritised league games on Sundays over our Europa League games on Thursdays and what we potentially missed out on experiencing. 

To be fair we got to a cup final that season but we didn’t win it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

they won it. We didn't. They got to the semi final of the Europa league we didn't make it past group stages and people complained about the boring football. therein lies the difference.

Do you think the skates celebrated their FA Cup final win in 2008 less because they only beat West Brom in the semi final and Cardiff in the final? I'd say not. 

Fucking losing mentality all over this club.

Before last night they hadn’t won a major trophy in 47 years or whatever it was. Yes, that was great and I’d have loved to have won it, the whole point I was arguing against was that they’d been notably superior to us for the last 11 years. They haven’t, up until the last two months we’ve been pretty much identical. We’ve had very similar league positions and a handful of decent cup runs each. Up until last night neither club had won anything.

They had a Europa League semi, we’ve had three other domestic semi, not including the one we got to the final.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

- to a stadium with no direct public transport links and in a city with limited parking (near the ground) or rail access 🤷‍♂️. Our fanbase isn't as small as people make it out to be, but getting to the ground is a challenge. People said we'd never sell out SMS when it was first proposed, and yet we maintain a decent attendance even when its been dirge for a year and despite it being a pretty uninspiring stadium.

When the railway is running (barring staff shortages and strikes) it's not too bad, although late midweek kick offs can be a pain. Maybe because I'm young and fit (cough..) that I don't find the walk from the station too bad, and I far prefer a city ground with the option of a pint in town. Transport links could definitely be improved though, and the planning permission condition that required free bus transport to the ground seems to have been quietly dropped.

When you consider we only held 14K at The Dell our attendances aren't too bad. When they planned the ground I heard that they were budgeting for approximately a  third of games at 18K, a third at 24K, and a third at 28K.

Let's see how we do in the Championship: they say sales of season tickets have been OK. Maybe if we start to see wins crowds will hold up. I seem to recall leaving the ground after a win is quite a cheerful experience, but I may have dreamt that.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Before last night they hadn’t won a major trophy in 47 years or whatever it was. Yes, that was great and I’d have loved to have won it, the whole point I was arguing against was that they’d been notably superior to us for the last 11 years. They haven’t, up until the last two months we’ve been pretty much identical. We’ve had very similar league positions and a handful of decent cup runs each. Up until last night neither club had won anything.

They had a Europa League semi, we’ve had three other domestic semi, not including the one we got to the final.

and now they have won something, I never said they had been superior, i said i'd swap every season i'd been alive for their season this year. i dont give a toss about staying in the premier league, or the fight for 11 or how amazing it is see to Haaland at SMS. There were grown men crying last night, people saying it was the best day of their lives, i;d be like that, give me that just once over year after year of being cannon fodder in the self titled greatest league in the world.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, whelk said:

I’d happily take the season Man City had over ours

I wouldn't. If rich Arabs with their filthy oil money had bought us, I'd be disgusted, and would tear up my season ticket (if I had one), not to mention unsubscribe from sainstweb and burn all my Saints shirts. Winning the league and FA cup, with a Champions league final to come, would mean nothing. I wouldn't even watch.

• Like 3

West Ham's match only got 17,000 fans last night. Pathetic support.

We would have had three times that if that was us, and our fanbase from Devon, Cornwall and Gloucestershire descended on Prague.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

We would have had three times that if that was us, and our fanbase from Devon, Cornwall and Gloucestershire descended on Prague.

Good point. What happens to our catchment area now? Will it be Bournemouth getting fans coming down from Bangor, Truro and Cirencester by the coach load?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

and now they have won something, I never said they had been superior

So why were you arguing about a post where the whole crux of the matter was wether or not they were. Nobody, literally nobody, is saying they'd rather watch Haaland and win the race for 11th, than win an actual trophy. The point I was making was that two months ago they had no trophies, no cup finals since promotion and were a point above us in the league. That's it, anything else is just your own strawman.

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

There were grown men crying last night, people saying it was the best day of their lives, i;d be like that

I genuinely pity anyone who says that with any sincerity. We'd all love to win a trophy but if there's nothing in your own life which trumps watching a bunch of mercenaries winning a football tournament, that's honestly just tragic.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

So why were you arguing about a post where the whole crux of the matter was wether or not they were. Nobody, literally nobody, is saying they'd rather watch Haaland and win the race for 11th, than win an actual trophy. The point I was making was that two months ago they had no trophies, no cup finals since promotion and were a point above us in the league. That's it, anything else is just your own strawman.

I genuinely pity anyone who says that with any sincerity. We'd all love to win a trophy but if there's nothing in your own life which trumps watching a bunch of mercenaries winning a football tournament, that's honestly just tragic.

Aren't you the admin on here? Normally that means you are extremely passionate about supporting Saints doesn't it? 

7 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

Aren't you the admin on here? Normally that means you are extremely passionate about supporting Saints doesn't it? 

If, in three years, Saints played in the Champions League final, at Fratton Park, beat Liverpool 5-0 and on the way out of the ground I walked past John Westwood being attended to by paramedics with his dong trapped in a letterbox…. It still wouldn’t be the best day of my life. It may be the loudest I’ve cheered and the most euphoric but it’ll never beat the things that genuinely matter in life.

• Haha 5

It might be the end of my life though, I'd be laughing myself to death at TCWTB.

11 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Gawd, your constant sarcasm is really tiresome.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

You're an admin on a fans football forum, where its discussing nothing but a bunch of mercenaries kicking a ball about... Probably not one who can take some kinda high-ground..

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

You're an admin on a fans football forum, where its discussing nothing but a bunch of mercenaries kicking a ball about... Probably not one who can take some kinda high-ground..

No, I’ve never claimed moderating this place was the best moment of my life. Quite the opposite in fact; I’d rather it wasn’t necessary at all but with all the crap I’ve deleted half the threads would be nigh on unreadable.

42 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No, I’ve never claimed moderating this place was the best moment of my life. Quite the opposite in fact; I’d rather it wasn’t necessary at all but with all the crap I’ve deleted half the threads would be nigh on unreadable.

They say that there are four great moments in a man’s life,

When he gets married

When he has his first child 

When he buys his boat

When he sells his boat 

11 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Because you're response to me saying i'd swap all of our seasons for their one was to say "no you'd swap the last two months" then went rambling on about how there isn't much difference between our league finishes, crucially ignoring the fact they've frigging well won something.

It probably isn't but at the time it would be the most amazing feeling and you'd be buzzing for months.If you dont understand that then i really dont see how you can consider yourself a football fan, especially a club like ours where most of us weren't alive the last time we wont something significant. on that note I was concieved not long after May the 1st 1976, not only was Saints winning the cup a great moment for the city, it turned out to be a great moment for mankind.

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Being a moderator on a football forum is up there with being a special copper or the first aider at work. Next stop saintsvoice #pissedwithpower

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Being a moderator on a football forum is up there with being a special copper or the first aider at work. Next stop saintsvoice #pissedwithpower

Laugh all you want, we both know you’re just envious of my internet moderator Boy Scout badge.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

They say that there are four great moments in a man’s life,

When he gets married

When he has his first child 

When he buys his boat

When he sells his boat 

I probably go with that but replace "boat" with "rusty money pit of a campervan." 

• Like 1