2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

When people say stuff like we are a laughing stock you have to take a step back, look at the bigger picture and realise no one has time to laugh at us because they are too busy pissing themselves at Chelsea and Spurs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know SR's ownership of us, and the decisions they've made have been naff, but look at Chelsea.

£600m spent, 43 points, -8 GD and 14th in the league. For me the Todd Bohey regime is the worst ownership effort ever in this league, playing around like money is no object but proving quite clearly that money alone cannot buy any form of success. They are now absolutely shit.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I know SR's ownership of us, and the decisions they've made have been naff, but look at Chelsea.

£600m spent, 43 points, -8 GD and 14th in the league. For me the Todd Bohey regime is the worst ownership effort ever in this league, playing around like money is no object but proving quite clearly that money alone cannot buy any form of success. They are now absolutely shit.

Their starting line up against Man U was absolutely shocking. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

It also illustrates the discrepancies between the haves and the haves nots in this league.  By rights Chelsea should be bottom of the league with about 4 points given how they've been run this season, but an awful year for a club like that still means they are comfortably safe in the league and can afford to keep all of their talent.  We've had not nearly as awful a year (although still awful) and are bottom and relegated...

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

It also illustrates the discrepancies between the haves and the haves nots in this league.  By rights Chelsea should be bottom of the league with about 4 points given how they've been run this season, but an awful year for a club like that still means they are comfortably safe in the league and can afford to keep all of their talent.  We've had not nearly as awful a year (although still awful) and are bottom and relegated...

They started the year with Tuchel and were fine.

They would be going down if they had started with Lampard.

On 25/05/2023 at 21:41, S-Clarke said:

All that money and nothing to show for it.

Pretty evident that the board, Boehly etc were too involved with the football side.

They're such a poor team now. Our win mid way through the season was seen as a huge result, little did we know it was the start of that relegation form for Chelsea 😂

• Like 1

So today, tomorrow and Monday we'll find out our final 4 opponents for next season - One of Coventry/Luton, two from Everton/Leicester/Leeds and one of Barnsley/Sheff Wed

Think my preference would be Coventry, Everton, Leicester and Sheff Wed.

Shaping up to be a dramatic last day in Germany, Dortmund 2 points ahead after being 9 points behind Bayern at one point, looking to break a long streak of titles for Bayern, but Bayern currently 1-0 up with Dortmund 2-0 down and 35 mins left to save it.

22 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Shaping up to be a dramatic last day in Germany, Dortmund 2 points ahead after being 9 points behind Bayern at one point, looking to break a long streak of titles for Bayern, but Bayern currently 1-0 up with Dortmund 2-0 down and 35 mins left to save it.

It's being streamed legally on youtube. Dortmund have pulled one back but running out of time, they need two more.

Not exactly quality is it? So far you'd have to wonder how either of these sides are on the brink of the EPL. Luton looking much more likely to make life a bit uncomfortable for the EPL prima donnas though.

40 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Not exactly quality is it? So far you'd have to wonder how either of these sides are on the brink of the EPL. Luton looking much more likely to make life a bit uncomfortable for the EPL prima donnas though.

If this is the standard of the top six in the championship, I think we'll do all right.

Probably confirm survival with a couple of games to spare...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Is the standard of referring bad in the Championship? Bit of a kick in the teeth for Championship refs to see a Premier League ref take charge of the play off game 

Plenty of the PL refs referee in the Championship a few times a season. No surprise that with VAR in place they've used an experienced one for the biggest game of the season.

Hamer and Gyokeres are the two standouts in the Coventry team who I doubt will be there next season, probably go to the Premier League themselves, so rules us out.

Luton more of a team, rather than star individuals and the mad narcissist that is Nathan Jones will absolutely claim he has got a team promoted this season.

Shame for Coventry. A similar sized club to ours that got run into the ground by SISU,  they had to play their home games in Northampton and Birmingham and nearly dragged themselves from League Two back to the Premier League. 

Luton is obviously a better rags to riches story but have to feel for Coventry because that could have been us. 

• Like 3

Nobody should write Nathan Jones name without including wanker or twat or some other variation.

Coventry massively overachieved this year. Can see them struggling if Hamer/Gyokeres go tbh.

Luton though, having reached the play-offs last season, would've been there or thereabouts again next season so personally for us I think it's better they've gone up.

As the game wore on, and players needed to be replaced, you could see the drop off in quality.

I tuned in as the game was stopped, so can only hope Tom Lockyer makes a full and speedy recovery.

And sympathy for Dabo, who hopefully, after some time, remember how well he did to get here, and realise there's no reason he can't do it, or better, next season.

Luton looked easily the best first half. Second half, Robins did really well in changing the shape.

Had they lost this, with those efforts that deflected off arms, before going in, and other efforts, Luton would have been even more gutted.

And a thought for James Bree. Makes the step up, only for his boss to be (unsurprisingly) fired, drop down the pecking order in a different tactic, and then take a 40% pay cut, as all his former team mates go the other way. No reason why he can't play a solid part in getting us up next season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Luton v Bournemouth 

Super Sunday next season! 🤣

Both of whom have earned it, showing fight and commitment our club can only dream of, right now.

Looking around the table at the off field shambles, elsewhere, the resources of some of the others, it's all the more gutting our club made so many poor decisions, to drop down instead of them.

• Like 1