2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

If the club don’t inject pace, physical strength and leadership throughout the spine of the squad over the summer and shed the sluggish weaklings signed over the last few windows it’ll be a battle to survive in the Championship. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

If the club don’t inject pace, physical strength and leadership throughout the spine of the squad over the summer and shed the sluggish weaklings signed over the last few windows it’ll be a battle to survive in the Championship. 

And character, I'd say that's even more important. Luton aren't full of quality or players that will end up at the top level for ever, they are an incredibly hard working bunch with the right character and mixed in with the right physical attributes.

I'd argue Sunderland had more players in their team with much better technical ability and youth, but it goes to show how you always need a bit of substance to any quality you have. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Luton really know how to take corners, whip the ball in with plenty of pace. 

Thing is with Luton you can see they've assembled a cheap squad that typically would be in a relegation battle but they focus on doing the basics right, defend well and attack on the break , if they do go up I wonder if they'll allocate a place on the open top bus parade for Nathan Jones ?

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Luton soaring without the dead weight of their former manager.

They haven't really changed much since he was manager, other than making a load of money he must be regretting leaving, could have been having his suit fitted for Wembley today 

1 hour ago, JRM said:

They haven't really changed much since he was manager, other than making a load of money he must be regretting leaving, could have been having his suit fitted for Wembley today 

Don't feel for Jones, I do feel sorry for James Bree though.

16 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Don't feel for Jones, I do feel sorry for James Bree though.

Agree, he has 29 appearances for Luton this season , wonder if they'll buy him back in the summer 

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We need him....he has to stay

He'd be good for us in the championship especially as cover for Livramento. 

For me if Luton get promoted it will also prove a shift away from reliance on gate receipts, we've already got Bournemouth in the Premier league with 10k ground, Luton would be the same, Brentford 17k, no need for big capacities to fund the team

The moral of all this is we should have stayed at The Dell. 

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Loving this game. Full blooded and gripping, everything we've been missing.

It was a good game, wasn't it? If NJ laid the foundations for Luton to play like that, under him, how on earth did our players end up playing like they did? Anyway, will be watching tonight for hopefully a similar engaging match...we will be playing one of the teams next season. 

19 minutes ago, Dman said:

City have been absolutely phenomenal in both legs of this semi final. 

this deserved to be the final, the quality is beyond belief. 

I know people don’t like them because of the finances but they are a magnificent team. Been superb tonight again. Fantastic to watch 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saint lard said:

Meh…we gave them a spanking at St Marys in the cup.

they aren’t nothing special.😉  

Incredible how our useless pieces of shit are going to be the only fuckers stopping this side win the lot.

We deserve relegation for that alone. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I know people don’t like them because of the finances but they are a magnificent team. Been superb tonight again. Fantastic to watch 

meh, that’s elite level football. Without spending billions it’s impossible to compete, so fair play to them. 

The thing is, city have spent a fortune of course, but they’ve generally (Haaland aside) brought very, very, very good players who pep has improved and made elite. 

I like them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

meh, that’s elite level football. Without spending billions it’s impossible to compete, so fair play to them. 

The thing is, city have spent a fortune of course, but they’ve generally (Haaland aside) brought very, very, very good players who pep has improved and made elite. 

I like them.

Me too. The quality of football is different level. Them and the Arsenal team of 2000-2003 are probably the two non saints English teams I’ve enjoyed watching the most 

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

I like them.

They sell well also

Just now, Turkish said:

We could be the team that deny Man City the quadruple 

I’d be amazed if that doesn’t end up being the case at this point. Looks like it’ll only be a win against massive odds that prevents the treble.

27 minutes ago, whelk said:

Either Coventry or Luton in the PL next season is bit mental

Makes a change from the usual faces! Both teams have had a shit time of it since they last graced the top division, more so luton, be interesting to see if they can get Kenilworth Road up to the required standard by August of if they’ll need to groundshare.

57 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

I’d be amazed if that doesn’t end up being the case at this point. Looks like it’ll only be a win against massive odds that prevents the treble.

The League is all but wrapped up, and it would take a miracle for Inter to beat them in Turkey. But Utd have a chance in the FA cup. A derby of course, and Utd have a massive successful history in the cup. Plus I think it was they who ended City's incredible long winning streak a year or two ago.

3 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Coventry about as big a side as us, Brentford and Biurnmeouth far smaller. Not too mental, then!

For years Coventry were our twin in Div 1, we occupied two positions 12 through 17 every year. I remember a quote from a Coventry fan about Saints when they had a rare decent run of games. Claiming Saints had gone all 'lah de da page 1 of ceefax' . I'm guessing three quarters of this forum won't have a clue what I'm on about.

Both Luton and Coventry have had a terrible time in recent years, be good to see one of them in the Premier league. Suspect either will come crashing down again.

For purely selfish reasons I'd prefer Luton go up. Firstly because they look like a team that is ever so slightly 'up for it', glad to see the back of them. Secondly because Coventry is always a great away trip.

5 hours ago, revolution saint said:

I’m watching the Boro v Coventry game. Coventry bossing Boro and one nil up. 
I guess we could have a chance with Carrick if it stays this way but not seen much to impress me about Boro. Only one game though so might be a bit harsh.

If Boro don't impress you I wonder how you feel about Saints.

They were 21st on the table when Carrick took over in October. 17 points from 16 games. They cobbled together 58 from the next 30. The sort of form that could have seen them be in the automatic promotion places if he'd been there at the start.

By contrast since October we've stormed our way to a grand total of 12 points.

I already find the idea of him leaving a semi-stable, solidly effective, nailed on promotion candidate for the shit show of St Mary's laughable.

But throw in the notion that somehow WE would be too big a club or job for HIM in our current state... 

We have zero chance of attracting him.