2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

Man City winning the league is a huge shrug of the shoulders for a lot of football fans.

It isn’t groundbreaking. Don’t get me wrong it’s very impressive the squad and what they’ve built up.

But it’s a little boring now. A bit like Bayern in the Bundesliga and PSG in Ligue 1.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Man City winning the league is a huge shrug of the shoulders for a lot of football fans.

It isn’t groundbreaking. Don’t get me wrong it’s very impressive the squad and what they’ve built up.

But it’s a little boring now. A bit like Bayern in the Bundesliga and PSG in Ligue 1.

Man City fans and the media talking about the treble now as if it is done. I fancy United to win the cup.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

It's boring, but you've got to respect it really. It's not simply down to money either, as seems to be the easy thing to proclaim. Man Utd have spent more than them over the last few years, and let's not even start with Chelsea.

They might have money, but they've done it right and they have a manager in place who has raised the level of a lot of those players. When they bought Dias, Rodri, Alvarez, KDB and co they weren't ready made superstars, but he's raised their level massively. That's been the difference for me, you've got Chelsea chasing ready-made superstars, Man Utd going for Ronaldo/Pogba/Casimero etc, but City just doing it another way and developing.

I know the piss is taken out of our obsession with Man City and copying them etc, but there is a reason why - they do a lot of good stuff there, money or no money.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

Really want a Leicester win tonight but it's not happening. Their line up is pants. A draw isn't good enough for them and Smith has them set up for a point at best. No Maddison or Barnes. Handing Everton survival on a plate.

Still... come on Leicester! Make the last day interesting!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Really want a Leicester win tonight but it's not happening. Their line up is pants. A draw isn't good enough for them and Smith has them set up for a point at best. No Maddison or Barnes. Handing Everton survival on a plate.

Still... come on Leicester! Make the last day interesting!

Leicester fans have been calling for those two to be dropped for ages, they can't stand either.

Their biggest prob with the line up tonight is their midfield, they want Tiliemans dropped as well.

I still fancy there to be a twist on Sunday. If Leicester can get the result against West Ham anything other than a win for Everton sends them down. Means I’ll have to cheer on Bournemouth though.

Leeds need a hell of a swing to survive.

Just now, bpsaint said:

I still fancy there to be a twist on Sunday. If Leicester can get the result against West Ham anything other than a win for Everton sends them down. Means I’ll have to cheer on Bournemouth though.

Leeds need a hell of a swing to survive.

Leeds need too much to go their way, whilst keeping Harry Kane quiet. Too much for them I think.

Still feel that bloody Everton will squeeze themselves out of it though, I see both Leicester and Everton winning on the final day.

I think Leicester needed to win tonight to really make Everton stress.

• Like 1

Yep a point not the worst result for Leicester due to their superior goal difference over Everton but they still have to hope Everton don't win at Goodison against a Bournemouth side with nothing to play for whilst beating West Ham themselves. Leeds I think are down. I can't see anything other than Everton staying up now though which is a pisser.

Just now, SNSUN said:

Yep a point not the worst result for Leicester due to their superior goal difference over Everton but they still have to hope Everton don't win at Goodison against a Bournemouth side with nothing to play for whilst beating West Ham themselves. Leeds I think are down. I can't see anything other than Everton staying up now though which is a pisser.

I would be shocked beyond belief if Everton don't beat Bournemouth on Sunday, will check the odds as I think that's a nailed on home win, Bournemouth won't fancy it 

19 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

All this disappointment about Everton staying up. I hate them, but I'd rather not have them in our league next season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Southner said:

Fuck me, Newcastle are milking this 0-0, aren't they! 

Plucky underdog team reaches glory on a shoestring, giving something for their most special of fans to cheer, because it means more to them than other clubs. What's not to love...oh wait, I had it on for 10mins and turned off when Murphy came on. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Plucky underdog team reaches glory on a shoestring, giving something for their most special of fans to cheer, because it means more to them than other clubs. What's not to love...oh wait, I had it on for 10mins and turned off when Murphy came on. 🙂

No other team deserves it more.

It's amazing what a mere gazmilltrillon bucks can get you. 

32 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Bournemouth won’t even fight for a point. 
It’s done.  

Yeah Bournemouth will just roll over for Everton, I’ll be amazed if Everton don’t win that 2 or 3-0. 
Bloody annoying if they do get out of it but on the flip side not sure Everton in the Championship would be great for us.

• Like 1

Just now, Southner said:

No other team deserves it more.

It's amazing what a mere gazmilltrillon bucks can get you. 

Of course, a gazmilltrillion isn't what it used to be. It takes more than that to keep up these days. Just ask those guys over there, cooking the Man City books to avoid profitability and sustainability rules by at least that much. 🙂

18 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Of course, a gazmilltrillion isn't what it used to be. It takes more than that to keep up these days. Just ask those guys over there, cooking the Man City books to avoid profitability and sustainability rules by at least that much. 🙂

Doing these illegals should be illegal. 

There should be minor fines or suspended transfer bans at the very minimum. Really take 'em to the cleaners. 

12 hours ago, egg said:

All this disappointment about Everton staying up. I hate them, but I'd rather not have them in our league next season. 

Everton have been in the top flight for 75ish years, have an expensive new stadium on the horizon and are skint (and awaiting FFP charges). I don't rate their squad much either bar DCL and maybe one or two others and they'd most likely be vultured in the summer. There's a high chance that if Everton went down they'd be in real trouble. I don't think I'd fear Everton next season as much as Leeds and Leicester, who IMO have better 'weapons' in their squad (depending on who they hold on to) than Everton.

But sadly it won't happen anyway this season anyway. Leeds and Leicester have left it too late.

3 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Everton have been in the top flight for 75ish years, have an expensive new stadium on the horizon and are skint (and awaiting FFP charges). I don't rate their squad much either bar DCL and maybe one or two others and they'd most likely be vultured in the summer. There's a high chance that if Everton went down they'd be in real trouble. I don't think I'd fear Everton next season as much as Leeds and Leicester, who IMO have better 'weapons' in their squad (depending on who they hold on to) than Everton.

But sadly it won't happen anyway this season anyway. Leeds and Leicester have left it too late.

Leicester's attempt to give it a go and get the win they needed was pathetic, they waited until injury time almost . It was like watching Saints. 

5 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Everton are about to secure some investment, plus they have much higher commercial revenue than us - and will bring in much more with a new stadium too. Even though they are skint in relative terms, they still paid more last summer on a single player (Onana) than we have ever spent on a player ourselves.

I don't think we should automatically expect Everton to implode if they get relegated, I think it'll be a similar situation to that of Newcastle - they'll have the stature to build a team way too good for that level. I remember the same comments about Newcastle when they got relegated with Duff/Owen and co in the side, they may go all the way down etc - never happened, as they were just too big for that to ever happen to - same will be true of Everton (not that I think it will happen, it'll be the same as it looks today imo).

As funny as it would be to see 'today', I think it would have a negative determent on our ability to compete next year - so I hope they stay away.

Edited by S-Clarke

Looks like Wolves are about to fall back into obscurity, this year may have just delayed the inevitable for them. Lopotegui's future in doubt as Wolves can no longer guarantee him any funds to improve or add to the squad - they can only sell this summer.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Looks like Wolves are about to fall back into obscurity, this year may have just delayed the inevitable for them. Lopotegui's future in doubt as Wolves can no longer guarantee him any funds to improve or add to the squad - they can only sell this summer.

Been some shady transfer dealings with Wolves anyway over the past few years. 

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They’ll be the next Everton then, they’re going to have to make a lot of sales to balance the books from inflated transfer fees and wages.

They spent £35m on Fabio Silva, £38m on Matheus Nunes, £27.5m on Goncalo Guedes and £37m on Nelson Semedo.

Only Nunes isn't a Jorge Mendes client. While he's brought a few unbelievable players to Wolves (Patricio, Moutinho and Neves), he's also saddled them with a lot of shit to boost his own wealth.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Everton won’t go down.

It'll be Leicester and Leeds now. Everton I think have escaped just about.

The moment has passed. 

Everton have got a straightforward home tie, an absolute gift. They will win that at which point the other ties are irrelevant.

At least one of Leeds or Leicester will win but it won't matter.

On 23/05/2023 at 07:33, egg said:

Definitely don't want them in the Championship with us.  Bad enough that the calibre of Leicester and Leeds are the more likely to join us - makes the top two automatic places very difficult  to achieve. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Definitely don't want them in the Championship with us.  Bad enough that the calibre of Leicester and Leeds are the more likely to join us - makes the top two automatic places very difficult  to achieve. 

Leicester are in worse shape than us so not too concerned with them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, austsaint said:

None of the other three above us are any better than the teams who've gone down in recent seasons. Everton will stay up on 36 points, have been crap all season and money has seemingly dried up. I don't see any real calibre to Leeds and Leicester. Both have looked rudderless all season and will need a serious rethink in summer, same as us.

My main hope is that Everton have to sell Pickford to balance the books and next season they're as bad as we are now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Leicester are in worse shape than us so not too concerned with them.

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

None of the other three above us are any better than the teams who've gone down in recent seasons. Everton will stay up on 36 points, have been crap all season and money has seemingly dried up. I don't see any real calibre to Leeds and Leicester. Both have looked rudderless all season and will need a serious rethink in summer, same as us.

My main hope is that Everton have to sell Pickford to balance the books and next season they're as bad as we are now.

Yes, probably right.   Leicester have been in decline for a season or two and Leeds, after such a long hiatus in the Championship look likely to return there surprisingly quickly.     "Big name" Clubs though, capable of a big push by the time August comes around.  As you say, the summer rebuild is crucial for all three relegated Clubs.

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

The moment has passed. 

Everton have got a straightforward home tie, an absolute gift. They will win that at which point the other ties are irrelevant.

At least one of Leeds or Leicester will win but it won't matter.

They’ll still be that minority on here that play the old “If OnLy We WeNt FoR dYcHe” 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, egg said:

What do you base that on? They have a better squad than us. 

Better squad=more high profile departures. Maddison, Barnes, Tielmans, Soyuncu, Castagne, Faes, Iheancho, Daka and Tete. Not going to be pretty for them. Arguably even the likes of Dewsbury-Hall and Justin James might go.

1 hour ago, Suhari said:

They look very, very good.

How the flying fuck did they get battered by Everton. Who got the brown envelopes for that little hiccup seriously.

That’s basically the result that will keep them up.