2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

What is it and Everton fans going on the pitch?..

Why do they think an athlete wants to celebrate a goal with a middle-aged Scouser, who is probably on Ket and/or sank 8 pints....

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Leicester having the highest wage bill is doing the rounds on social media, I’m assuming that’s highest outside the “big six”?

Fire sale I imagine if true. 

Yeah, there’s a piece on The Athletic saying they’ve got the 7th biggest wage bill in the PL.

They’re basically in the situation we would’ve been in the first year or two of Gao, had we gone down.

Edited by CSA96

Pretty inevitable it was going to end like that. 

Leeds feels a bit toxic, lots gone wrong there since they ditched Belisa. Typical Bielsa teams though, when they're good they're great to watch, but the unravelling of them is more often than not pretty catastrophic.

Not sure what Leicester will do either, they have to sell lots and lots due to their wage bill size - and even that may not give them the flexibility to add a great deal. 

You'd have to say, overall, the 3 relegated teams are a surprise. The 3 promoted sides relatively comfortable come the end.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Thought I'd pop on the the Leicester forum to see how they are taking relegation and see that their fans fighting were with each other after the game.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/132044-fighting-amongst-your-own-fans/

I would still be recovering from nearly drowning in a pool of my own semen if I were a Leicester fan. League and FA Cup win during their stint in the Premier League, incredible. Meanwhile Saints have fuck all to show for it relatively speaking. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Thought I'd pop on the the Leicester forum to see how they are taking relegation and see that their fans fighting were with each other after the game.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/132058-looking-forward-to-the-championship/#comments is also interesting, they seem much less happy about the championship then some of our fans who think it’s so much better than the prem.

also this

“As a Stoke fan, we had fans saying that in our relegation season. They were wrong. It’s shite. Really, really shite. The only thing anyone needs to know about the Championship is that you need to get out of it (upwards!) as soon as possible.

I’ll just say that again: it’s shite.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SotonianWill said:

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/132058-looking-forward-to-the-championship/#comments is also interesting, they seem much less happy about the championship then some of our fans who think it’s so much better than the prem.

also this

“As a Stoke fan, we had fans saying that in our relegation season. They were wrong. It’s shite. Really, really shite. The only thing anyone needs to know about the Championship is that you need to get out of it (upwards!) as soon as possible.

It's a cesspit of a league if you're struggling in it, or waddling around in mid-table - no doubts about that. We've been there and that season we went down under Wotte was just bilge, 4-1 at Hull, 5-0 at Wednesday I think. Most depressing time I've ever had.

It's fun if you're doing well though, as Burnley will likely confirm.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Interesting relegation battle at the bottom of La Liga. Six teams from 13th to 18th separated by 2 points going into next week's final round of matches.

image.png.a84d063bcc62c4081d77b215a9abecf6.png

It looked like ours could be similar a couple of months ago but us, Leeds and Leicester were absolutely crap and let the others claw their way out of it.

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a cesspit of a league if you're struggling in it, or waddling around in mid-table - no doubts about that. We've been there and that season we went down under Wotte was just bilge, 4-1 at Hull, 5-0 at Wednesday I think. Most depressing time I've ever had.

It's fun if you're doing well though, as Burnley will likely confirm.

And yet some clubs dream (can only dream) of playing there…..

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Cat said:

Imagine being one of their fans ............won prem, good run in europe and won FA Cup,now doomed along with us .What a few seasons they've had .

10 hours ago, The Cat said:

It looked like ours could be similar a couple of months ago but us, Leeds and Leicester were absolutely crap and let the others claw their way out of it.

Amazingly all but one of those 6 Spanish teams are already on 40 or 41 points, the other on 39. Compare that to 40 points considered being the safety number for the PL.

20 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

also this

Oh definitive then, some cunt on some other forum said it? PL fanboys cry away. We will have loads who will also say it is shite. It is how you do in it which determines enjoyment. I am genuinely looking forward to it far more than I would be if we somehow scrambled to 34/35 points and more of the same next season

• Like 2

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Oh definitive then, some cunt on some other forum said it? PL fanboys cry away. We will have loads who will also say it is shite. It is how you do in it which determines enjoyment. I am genuinely looking forward to it far more than I would be if we somehow scrambled to 34/35 points and more of the same next season

No guarantees we won't do exactly that....

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Football fans are so deluded, from some of us thinking we'd get Potter to Leicester fans thinking Oxlaide-Chamberlain is a legit target for them.

I’ve got to say I disagree. There’s being deluded to the point of Pep or Klopp joining.

Graham Potter was not beyond the realms of possibility. It is unlikely, but it isn’t delusional in the slightest.

I’m sure he’s now waiting for a Premier League job but he could easily be attracted to a Leicester or a Leeds in order to rebuild his reputation.
A project, a clear out, a clean slate.

The Championship has attracted a number of good managers in the past and has been seen as a place to build up your reputation, it’s an opportunity.

Calling it delusional is silly. We all know now that it looks like Russell Martin will be our next manager.
Four weeks ago hardly anyone was aware of him.
The past week everyone’s raving about his style of football from a few YouTube clips.
Watch him be appointed in the coming weeks and see a majority of fans sigh at how underwhelming an appointment it is.

They’ll be an even bigger sigh if he did end up at a Leicester or a Leeds, because it would be seen that that club is making a more positive step forward, i.e. this club is throwing everything at getting back to the Premier League as soon as possible. It’s more enticing.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
Typo

50 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’ve got to say I disagree. There’s being deluded to the point of Pep or Klopp joining.

Graham Potter was not beyond the realms of possibility. It is unlikely, but it isn’t delusional in the slightest.

I’m sure he’s now waiting for a Premier League job but he could easily be attracted to a Leicester or a Leeds in order to rebuild his reputation.
A project, a clear out, a clean slate.

The Championship has attracted a number of good managers in the past and has been seen as a place to build up your reputation, it’s an opportunity.

Calling it delusional is silly. We all know now that it looks like Russell Martin will be our next manager.
Four weeks ago hardly anyone was aware of him.
The past week everyone’s raving about his style of football from a few YouTube clips.
Watch him be appointed in the coming weeks and see a majority of fans sigh at how underwhelming an appointment it is.

They’ll be an even bigger sigh if he did end up at a Leicester or a Leeds, because it would be seen that that club is making a more positive step forward, i.e. this club is throwing everything at getting back to the Premier League as soon as possible. It’s more enticing.

Just because you've convinced yourself in your head doesn't mean it's not deluded.

Graham Potter is not going to be Leicester manager or Leeds manager or Saints manager. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Just because you've convinced yourself in your head doesn't mean it's not deluded.

Graham Potter is not going to be Leicester manager or Leeds manager or Saints manager. 

After today’s news I have given up hope of Poch returning……..for now

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Said it before and I’ll say it again. I’d rather experience 08/09 again that this shit season we’ve just gone through. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whelk said:

As opposed to the PL which is great when you are down the bottom?

Exactly. For clubs like saints the premier league is shit. Build a decent team and it get picked apart by bigger clubs with much more money, the aim is simply to stay in the league every year, pretty miserable if you ask me.

at least in the championship it’s more of a level playing field, yes there are the parachute payments which give relegated clubs a big advantage for a couple of years but with a month left of the season to go 2/3s of the league have something to play for, either automatic promotion, a push for the play offs or avoiding the drop. Plus even bottom half teams have won 14 or 15 games this season, it’ll be nice to win a few for a change

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Exactly. For clubs like saints the premier league is shit. Build a decent team and it get picked apart by bigger clubs with much more money, the aim is simply to stay in the league every year, pretty miserable if you ask me.

at least in the championship it’s more of a level playing field, yes there are the parachute payments which give relegated clubs a big advantage for a couple of years but with a month left of the season to go 2/3s of the league have something to play for, either automatic promotion, a push for the play offs or avoiding the drop. Plus even bottom half teams have won 14 or 15 games this season, it’ll be nice to win a few for a change

The thing I think I will miss the most is being able to stand up and applaud Firmino when he is substituted in his last game. Just to be part of the greatest league ever and to be lucky enough to thank him (and Sky) for his part in being part of that great Liverpool team that was key in helping PL able marketed in the Far East and getting even greater tv deals. What it’s all about to me. Fuck Rotherham and Hull.

Edited by whelk
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, whelk said:

The thing I think I will miss the most is being able to stand up and applaud Firmino when he is substituted in his last game. Just to be part of the greatest league ever and to be lucky enough to thank him (and Sky) for his part in being part of that great Liverpool team that was key in helping PL able marketed in the Far East and getting even greater tv deals. What it’s all about to me. Fuck Rotherham and Hull.

I’m too busy taking photos of the opposition players to do that. 

Oh and It’s Bobby not Firmino

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We all know now that it looks like Russell Martin will be our next manager.

Four weeks ago hardly anyone was aware of himThe past week everyone’s raving about his style of football from a few YouTube clips.

Are they? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’m too busy taking photos of the opposition players to do that. 

Oh and It’s Bobby not Firmino

I was too busy singing …” by far the greatest set of pearly white gnashers, the Premier League has ever seen … “ to see him go off and applaud him. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The standard of the Europa league final is woeful. Most of the premier league light years ahead of those 2 

Yeah real shame they don’t let the PL teams compete in it

• Haha 9

12 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I didn’t even know it was happening.

You managed to avoid a very dull game where both sides (including, especially, the coaches on the bench) seemed to think it essential to be in the ref’s face complaining about every decision he made. The team of officials were all from England with Anthony Taylor on the whistle, Michael Oliver as fourth official and Stuart Atwell on VAR.

A very good game to have missed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Anyone else seen the videos of abuse that Anthony Taylor and his family have had to endure walking through Budapest Airport?

Disgusting scenes.

FIFA, UEFA and the British media need to stop perpetuating the myth that English football fans are the worst in the world. Having been abroad with both Saints and England I've witnessed far more abuse and violence on the continent than I ever had travelling for football in this country. 

• Like 1