Radio Solent Fans Forum

Backrow91

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Where does this “grateful to be in the league” pony come from. I’m 50 fucking 7 and we’ve been in it most of my supporting life. I don’t take it for granted, and I’ve been lucky, but stop with this noddy mentality. We’re a top 25 club, we’re not particularly overachieving by being in the top 20. 

Agreed, in my 40 odd years as a saints fan ive only known us to be out of the top league for 6 years. It’s pathetic really

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The first question was from a right whopper

how patronising to tell the room to give a round of applause to the ladies team. Cheers mate

I play football with him has 4 STs for family and never misses an away game .

He bleeds red and white and does get carried away a bit but heart in right place.

Bit rich you calling him whopper with your history on here

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Where does this “grateful to be in the league” pony come from. I’m 50 fucking 7 and we’ve been in it most of my supporting life. I don’t take it for granted, and I’ve been lucky, but stop with this noddy mentality. We’re a top 25 club, we’re not particularly overachieving by being in the top 20. 

It was really bizarre and felt like a bit of a set piece from Blackmore, knowing the feelings from much of the fan base. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Agreed, in my 40 odd years as a saints fan ive only known us to be out of the top league for 6 years. It’s pathetic really

That was my main issue with the forum. I thought Ralph came accross pretty well to be honest. The main bit I didn't like was the narrative that it's so hard to be In the prem. Why not have a bit f a winning mentality and aim as high as possible rather than just be grateful to cling onto premier league status? I bet you don't see Brighton or Palace or Leeds making similar points because they are aiming as high as possible and making exciting moves. He was an utter bellend but Cortese was at least good at thinking big and not accepting his place. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 5

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

He bleeds red and white and does get carried away a bit but heart in right place.

But rich you calling him whopper with your history on here

He can bleed red and white as much as he can. Telling a room to clap for the ladies team is Man-splaining on acid.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

TBF he did come across like a bit of a knob-the whole B team stuff - but then public speaking isn't the strength of everyone. 

Edited by hypochondriac

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

So he didn't say he'd abandoned 4-2-2-2 then.

If you listen back the explanation from the horses mouth was quite clear. 4-2-2-2 is difficult for new players to adjust to, providing a 5-3-2 structure makes it a little easier for them to ease into the team. I know some fans are looking at just the number 4-2-2-2 and saying ''any player should have been playing that as a kid'' - but it's not just about the tactical number, it's what you do on the ball and off the ball in that system which makes it unique. Things like pressing triggers are much more apparent in a 4-2-2-2 which take time to learn. 

As we all know, if you don't press together in an aggressive press such as 4-2-2-2 then you are destroyed, so everyone needs to buy into it and be ready for it. I know it's a bit weird saying that as we went 5-3-2 at the weekend and still got thumped, but that wasn't due to an over aggressive press it was us being too passive in the wide full back positions and allowing way too many crosses into the box.

So we change our formation to accommodate the players we are signing rather than sign players who are capable of playing our preferred formation.  Clearly an admission the players we are signing are not good enough to make an immediate impact - pathetic. Shit window - simple fact is if you are having to play Armstrong, djenepo and Valery you have gone backwards - they are simply not good enough. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, trousers said:

I'm not sure what to make of tonight's Solent forum. I'm usually one of the positive gang on here (and often slated for being so by certain Saintsweb forum intelligentsia) but something about the vibe tonight didn't feel right. Can't put my finger on it but I just have a gut feel that 'things' are happening in the background. Don't ask me to justify these gut feelings as I won't be able to... they are just that... Gut feelings. 

The body language between Ralph and Semmens was very weird. Ralph looked a bit pissed off and downbeat as he should be with his recent record.

Didnt give me the feeling this management structure has long left

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Because we have got results playing 3 at the back last season. Against city home and away for example. Arsenal home. It’s not like we have never played well in that system. 

Lost lots of games playing 5 at the back too. I’d hardly consider arsenal display a ringing endorsement of the formation.

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Yep exactly this. It was almost like he knew the negativity was justified and he is out of ideas and doesn't have a credible answer to it..

The negativity is justified. The final third of last season was an absolute disgrace. Slate wiped clean to start this season but then Saturday was groundhog day. Same defensive mistakes, same sloppiness, same throwing away leads and topped off with the likes of Valery, Djenepo and AA up top by himself in the starting lineup.

Can call us bed wetters or whatever but supporters have every reason to feel annoyed. The first 8 games of this season should be Ralph reinterviewing for his job. He may plead for more time with the younger signings but you dont get time in the PL. If we're not in double figures points wise by then he has to go, simple as that

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

So we change our formation to accommodate the players we are signing rather than sign players who are capable of playing our preferred formation.  Clearly an admission the players we are signing are not good enough to make an immediate impact - pathetic. Shit window - simple fact is if you are having to play Armstrong, djenepo and Valery you have gone backwards - they are simply not good enough. 

You do understand that he had to play Djenepo as Peraud only had two weeks of training and couldn’t play 90 minutes.  KWP was chosen to try and nullify their threat on our right.  Who else did he have to call on to play on the left?

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

These are the dudes who kept us up with no money the last 4yrs.

The hysteria on this forum is next level considering we've spent more than ever on transfers and we got dicked away to spurs after giving them a game for 60mins, spurs who will be tough for every team.

Yeah, spent money on youngsters who if they are as good as the club tell us they are will be off immediately once we are relegated. Only worth building fir the future if you look after the hear and now and the fact is we are simply not good enough. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

2005 to 2012 is 7 years

Did you have a memory wipe for the 2008/09 season? Probably a good idea!

will smith mib GIF

After trying for months to find something to correct me on I’ll admit I didn’t count every year it was more of a off the cuff post without fact checking it. You are of course correct. Congratulations on this momentous moment in your life the mask GIF

• Haha 3

Just now, Puddings and Monkeys said:

You do understand that he had to play Djenepo as Peraud only had two weeks of training and couldn’t play 90 minutes.  KWP was chosen to try and nullify their threat on our right.  Who else did he have to call on to play on the left?

Stephens/ Valery/JWP right back and KWP left back?

• Like 1

Ely played left wing back before , he was Ralph’s go to man yet nowhere near starting Saturday.  That’s what’s odd this left out at end  last year now start those that were his safe picks Ely, Stu, Redmond to some extent nowhere near starting positions just now seems desperate 

14 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Stephens/ Valery/JWP right back and KWP left back?

But if you read on this forum, Stephen’s and Valery are shit and shouldn’t be anywhere near the team so he would have been slated for playing them there.  Plus JWP has been playing more forward this year (as per his recent Echo piece) so it would have been a waste of our best player to put him there.  I’m not a RH apologist but I think his hands were slightly tied on this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

But if you read on this forum, Stephen’s and Valery are shit and shouldn’t be anywhere near the team so he would have been slated for playing them there.  Plus JWP has been playing more forward this year (as per his recent Echo piece) so it would have been a waste of our best player to put him there.  I’m not a RH apologist but I think his hands were slightly tied on this.

Doesn’t matter what this forum says he is the manager and well paid to do so. 
He could have kept it tight with JWP until h/t then switched when Perraud came on.

JWP has kept Zaha in pocket, to play 3 players he hardly gave a kick to at end of season was very odd. Moussa is never a defensive option even pre season he was fine going forward defensive poor.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Ely played left wing back before , he was Ralph’s go to man yet nowhere near starting Saturday.  That’s what’s odd this left out at end  last year now start those that were his safe picks Ely, Stu, Redmond to some extent nowhere near starting positions just now seems desperate 

The same Elyounoussi that there were rumours we were going to give a new contract to not so long ago? :facepalm:

I just watched it and thought it was fine. Ralph’s comments on Broja were interesting, sort of confirmed what I thought in that he suddenly stopped giving a shite as soon as he made his name.

I really don’t get what all you lot are bed-wetting about.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gammon cheeks said:

Thought Semmens and that Toby bloke came across very arrogant to be honest .....dare i say it Semmens was a bit Rupert 

It seems like the true character of Semmens was shining through tonight. Maybe he is under more pressure now, and he thought he’d got away with it like he did when he engineered the Gao takeover. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Appreciate his support, but;

Can you remind him its not all about him and there’s other people looking to ask a question?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I just watched it and thought it was fine. Ralph’s comments on Broja were interesting, sort of confirmed what I thought in that he suddenly stopped giving a shite as soon as he made his name.

Funnily enough If there was one person I thought wouldn’t get it and accuse everyone of being bellends or bed wetters my money was on you.

No doubt you’ll shortly agree with a lot of the posts on here and confirm it was what you also though as well

Edited by Turkish

7 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

It seems like the true character of Semmens was shining through tonight. Maybe he is under more pressure now, and he thought he’d got away with it like he did when he engineered the Gao takeover. 

This defeatist attitude starts at the top with Semmens! He is responsible for this rank unacceptable attitude of we are fortunate to even grace the league let alone win any games.

Both Semmens and Ralph are constantly making excuses for poor performance and it isn’t good enough if you want to be successful, both should be feeling the heat from what I presumed were ambitious new owners….

• Like 2

I think the ‘vibe’ was because they maybe expected a friendlier atmosphere after the spending and the coaching spruce up, as evidenced by some of the replies they gave.. but like some have said, after the inconsistencies of the last couple of years and Saturdays 4-1 tonking it’s baffling that they didn’t turn up prepared

My gut feel is that the management team has been read the riot act, as I said previously, SR are not at all comfortable with a potential relegation of their primary club for the multi club model, whether we’ll see a reaction remains to be seen

Having been in the same room as Rasmus a couple of times he seems a typical, new age investor/business guy and almost certainly doesn’t suffer fools (he also seemed a bit of a nob but there we go)

I think potentially the management team is on borrowed time, Im not personally convinced Semmens has done a particularly great job as CEO outside of the SR investment and Steele, the couple of times Ive heard him talk never seems clued up about issues he really should know the answers too

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 2

If I was JWP I'd have my transfer request on the desk in the morning.

I can't see what he's hanging around for. Would get more money, be in a top 10 team with some ambition and the chance to develop further as a player by being alongside some real talent under a better manager. 

It's clear our only ambition is staying up. That's fine for 19 year olds looking to make a name for themselves and 33 year olds collecting a fat salary in their sunset years .... but for someone in the prime? If he hangs around much longer he'll miss his payday move and the chance of silverware.

• Like 2

They seemed pretty relaxed that we'll be top end of the bottom 6 rather than the in the bottom 3.  Not sure I'm that optimistic, but its not an unreasonable assumption. It could easily go either way.

Bus model unchanged. Buy young, sell on, stay up (I'll TM that as a slogan in the morning).

For fans .. suck it up buttercups.

Just watching it back and it's interesting from the very first question how Hasenhuttl goes on about how we must always press and work harder than the opposition and that's why we've caused problems to the bigger clubs in recent history. One of the key things I've noticed from the team in the past six months is that they simply haven't worked hard at all. Giving teams too much time and space both defensively when failing to close down opponents and offensively when giving them all the time in the world to setup their defensive unit. Last season the players could fall on the modern day excuse of being safe and having nothing to play for, despite fans turning up every week spending good money, but Saturday's performance against Tottenham didn't give me any encouragement regarding effort levels from our team. Effort's the bare minimum and what I loved about the team under Pochettino and we simply haven't seen that for half a year now.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Well he's got a point. The atmosphere at St Mary's is toxic. One single misplaced pass and it's moans, groans and jeers. 

I understand this, however our home form has been fucking dreadful for at least 6 seasons now. We haven't really put in regular entertaining performances at home since Koeman was here. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, LGTL said:

They clearly didn’t like being questioned and got on the defensive early. Apart from that it was a complete and utter waste of time as expected. We are in deep, deep shit this season. 

I thought it was a bit odd, Semmens and Toby didn't seem prepared for the criticism and got quite defensive, might realise now how disillusioned many fans are. 

Ralph wasn't so bad, at least he was honest about us being shit in some games last season. 

5 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Just watching it back and it's interesting from the very first question how Hasenhuttl goes on about how we must always press and work harder than the opposition and that's why we've caused problems to the bigger clubs in recent history. One of the key things I've noticed from the team in the past six months is that they simply haven't worked hard at all. Giving teams too much time and space both defensively when failing to close down opponents and offensively when giving them all the time in the world to setup their defensive unit. Last season the players could fall on the modern day excuse of being safe and having nothing to play for, despite fans turning up every week spending good money, but Saturday's performance against Tottenham didn't give me any encouragement regarding effort levels from our team. Effort's the bare minimum and what I loved about the team under Pochettino and we simply haven't seen that for half a year now.

Players responce may be a symptom of baffling selections and to play a system/formation that isn't working plus not confident of team mate playing out of position etc .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chez said:

Did anyone ask a question about the club finances?

I didn't hear one, guess its a tough one to articulate,  Semmens particularly should have been asked more about the takeover, we take his word for it that he helped weed out the time wasters and get the best owners for the club, but we've been there before with Gao , maybe part of the deal is Semmens gets to stay in his job. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I understand this, however our home form has been fucking dreadful for at least 6 seasons now. We haven't really put in regular entertaining performances at home since Koeman was here. 

I disagree. We've had some brilliant runs under Ralph. Some awful ones as well but still some great ones. Hadn't we only lost once at home last season until about Feb?

We’re definitely in trouble.

If we lose on Saturday the atmosphere will turn incredibly against Ralph.

It’s all well and good wanting a business model buying kids low and selling high a few years later but it’s a huge risk and one that might actually see you get relegated in the process. This reminds me slightly of the season we went down to League 1 (08-09) and we were playing the likes of Lloyd James, Matt Paterson etc; and they were not ready in the slightest, and we got pummelled game after game.

What we want is some ambition, not aiming to stay up every season, have a higher ceiling and you’ll attract more reputable players.

9 hours ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

You do understand that he had to play Djenepo as Peraud only had two weeks of training and couldn’t play 90 minutes.

Dunno I think I'd prefer Peraud to start and last as long as he can before changing for Djenepo. Try and keep it solid for at most 60mins away at a top 3 club (Think Spurs will do well this year). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We’re definitely in trouble.

If we lose on Saturday the atmosphere will turn incredibly against Ralph.

It’s all well and good wanting a business model buying kids low and selling high a few years later but it’s a huge risk and one that might actually see you get relegated in the process. This reminds me slightly of the season we went down to League 1 (08-09) and we were playing the likes of Lloyd James, Matt Paterson etc; and they were not ready in the slightest, and we got pummelled game after game.

What we want is some ambition, not aiming to stay up every season, have a higher ceiling and you’ll attract more reputable players.

That team consisted entirely of misfits and kids that were already at the club. There's no comparison, other than age, to the players that have been identified and brought in this season. Plenty also have experience and Aribo is 26. Other than that, you're spot on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Greenridge said:

That team consisted entirely of misfits and kids that were already at the club. There's no comparison, other than age, to the players that have been identified and brought in this season. Plenty also have experience and Aribo is 26. Other than that, you're spot on. 

Yeah that’s true I suppose. I feel there are a number of misfits and deadwood at the club currently.

I’ve just got a similar feeling that this is going to be a very painful long season. And this gamble of buying kids will backfire spectacularly, especially if we stick with Ralph. Bring in another coach or manager and I think it could be a different story and maybe we could push on. 
Personally I think Ralph has now hit his ceiling.

9 hours ago, aintforever said:

Broja had to train with players worse than a Chelsea B team on a regular basis. surprised young players come to Southampton when they might get game time yes albeit scrapping through or train and improve with technically better players on a day to day basis and get lots of run outs in the minor cups and again struggling clubs and the chance to sit on the bench and learn how to win. We sometimes overrate the fact that we have this pathway that basically means play but you might not win much. Players want to win things and we hope to get them here by saying that they will play, no young play wants to be the main focus in a team when they are still learning. Southampton needs to invest in youth as well as experience to lead and guide the boys. Dont see any leaders/organiser  out there. 

10 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

That was my main issue with the forum. I thought Ralph came accross pretty well to be honest. The main bit I didn't like was the narrative that it's so hard to be In the prem. Why not have a bit f a winning mentality and aim as high as possible rather than just be grateful to cling onto premier league status? I bet you don't see Brighton or Palace or Leeds making similar points because they are aiming as high as possible and making exciting moves. He was an utter bellend but Cortese was at least good at thinking big and not accepting his place. 

If the fucking CEO is a loser and considers us ‘lucky to be there’, then what message does that send to potential, high profile signings? Like a new striker as an example. 

Club is rotten, Gao and the coaching staff have gone but a bigger clean out is needed across the board. Starting with the 2 idiots running the club and given free reign to pick the new owners, of whom conveniently didn’t get rid of him. A huge conflict of interest there. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, tippingnoddles said:

Broja had to train with players worse than a Chelsea B team on a regular basis. surprised young players come to Southampton when they might get game time yes albeit scrapping through or train and improve with technically better players on a day to day basis and get lots of run outs in the minor cups and again struggling clubs and the chance to sit on the bench and learn how to win. We sometimes overrate the fact that we have this pathway that basically means play but you might not win much. Players want to win things and we hope to get them here by saying that they will play, no young play wants to be the main focus in a team when they are still learning. Southampton needs to invest in youth as well as experience to lead and guide the boys. Dont see any leaders/organiser  out there. 

True, but fact is playing up front for us had pundits raving about Broja, wether we win or lose we're a good platform to showcase talent.

• Like 2