Stewarding today (Man Utd H)

Paul Chuckle

Fans "should" be able to sit together in perfect harmony, and, if an away fan keeps themselves to themselves, probably do. But if they are going into the home ends in colours, giving it large, drunk, or chances are all 3, that's just trouble waiting to happen. It's against ground regs and if stewards are doing their job right they should never even make it through the turnstiles let alone to their seats.

The club should be bombarded with emails with a link to this thread so they are aware how often it's happening. You can bet your life stewards take a "didn't see it, so it didn't happen" approach, and aren't reporting it unless it's the few isolated incidents they are actually forced to deal with. The club themselves are probably unaware of the extent of it and are probably congratulating the stewards on nipping it in the bud when it is reported.

No-one likes a grass but isn't then a text number for reporting incidents during the game, bombard them with that as well.

My favourite response would be our own fans forcibly removing them from their seats, with a clear reminder not to try it again, but we all know who it will be receiving the lifetime bans if/when that happens.

BTW, OP or Admin should change the thread title , it's clearly ongoing, not only the ManU game

10 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Looking at the away section today , there is absolutely zero presence in that section of stewards coats, they are all down the sides, what is surprising is just like v West Ham you could not see the gangway steps from bottom to top in that whole section. Given the feeble cobblers spouted to close Block 1 - that away section 2 games running is ripe for the club having the book thrown at them on health and safety. I can’t recall being at an away game  and stewards not patrolling the steps to keep them clear.

It amazing isn't, for years we as away fans were treated like shit by stewards, fans ejected for not doing very much, stories made up against them by home police and stewards, treated generally really poorly with over the top stewarding. Yet come to St Marys do what you like as an away fan, in fact you'll even be welcomed into the home end, but if your a saints fan woe betide anyone who puts a foot wrong.

3 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Fans "should" be able to sit together in perfect harmony, and, if an away fan keeps themselves to themselves, probably do. But if they are going into the home ends in colours, giving it large, drunk, or chances are all 3, that's just trouble waiting to happen. It's against ground regs and if stewards are doing their job right they should never even make it through the turnstiles let alone to their seats.

The club should be bombarded with emails with a link to this thread so they are aware how often it's happening. You can bet your life stewards take a "didn't see it, so it didn't happen" approach, and aren't reporting it unless it's the few isolated incidents they are actually forced to deal with. The club themselves are probably unaware of the extent of it and are probably congratulating the stewards on nipping it in the bud when it is reported.

No-one likes a grass but isn't then a text number for reporting incidents during the game, bombard them with that as well.

My favourite response would be our own fans forcibly removing them from their seats, with a clear reminder not to try it again, but we all know who it will be receiving the lifetime bans if/when that happens.

BTW, OP or Admin should change the thread title , it's clearly ongoing, not only the ManU game

There is... I know somebody who used it at the weekend as so much of hospitality was full of Newcastle fans, who were a little happy with themselves after the first goal. A few of them were louder and more drunk than others, and to be fair many stayed quiet other than celebrating the goals.

The person who sent the text did so just before half time and got a very quick reply from somebody asking for more info, at half time the 'Stand Manager' appeared and was talking to another steward about it. They'd quickly identified who the fans were - I guess from CCTV of the celebrations?

All the Newcastle fans except the really mouthy ones re-appeared for the second half. The difference is the club also sent in some of their security team (the contractors they use) to keep watch and put more stewards there, and they did stay a lot quieter. Part way through the second half something must have happened and one of the stewards and security team were talking to the Newcastle fans, but ultimately they let them stay.

Part of me thinks this is fair play. The presence of security and stewards kept them quieter and no harm was done. Another part of me thinks this proves a point, and the club are happy with this situation and are willing to take the risk if it means more profit. My fear is these things explode quickly, it only takes one argument and suddenly you've a massive fight on your hands, and then it'll be too late and the home fans will get the blame.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Interesting news. What happened to our Millwall bloke?

this fella is well known to some of our supporters 🤔

D53B5377-BC02-43EC-87E1-98B5F02FE2B2.jpeg

I know him from when I worked at the Police. They must be paying him pretty well if he's chucking in a decent pension early. 

• 3 weeks later...

Newcastle fans all over the stadium today. Loads in block 36 next to me. Worst fighting between fans I've seen at St Mary's after Newcastle fans celebrated scoring. 

I await the clubs response by saying they vet all fans who buy tickets, they must be on the data base and as a precaution will be shutting off block 36 for the foreseeable future, until our fans learn to behave.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Search dogs, metal detectors and a second ticket check on the stairs to get into the Northam today?

How the fuck did the away fans get a flare in then? I wonder

Ridiculous, is this going to be at every game now? They’ll be rubbing their hands with glee at the chance of closing block 42. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Anything possible to make sure the away fans have a good time, including letting them sit in our end apparently

They weren't even hiding they were Newcastle fans, talking loudly in a noticeable Geordie accent, taking an age to find their seats like they'd never stepped foot inside St Mary's before. The club literally does nothing to stop this. I am surprised nobody was seriously hurt today. Someone being kicked on the floor. Even two women who were Newcastle fans were throwing punches and kicks at our fans. 

But I am sure the club stopped 100s of Newcastle fans getting in, this was an isolated incident and they were quickly ejected.

A mate of mine was in 13.35 down from Waterloo with carriage full of Newcastle some of them laughing about how easy it was to buy in the home end, been in top flight for 10 years but our ticket office still a league one operation 

• Like 3

Sat next to 2 in the Chapel stand. Travelled down from Northampton, citing how difficult it is to get away tickets because of where they live (I didn't care when they told me and I still don't care now). in fairness, I told them they'd be ok, provided the didn't behave like cnuts, and they did behave themselves. Went for a pee at full time and the gents had probably a dozen geordies who were pretty close to breaking into song. 

It is not good enough from the club and it only takes an annual reset of "names on database" to cull most of the problem. If you bought 1 ticket to a home game last year, you are probably an away supporter. Prevent further ticket sales, unless by exception. (And there will be Saints fans who only bought one ticket and they will have to go through an exception process, but the bloke from Northampton, who bought a ticket for Newcastle, who will only want to buy a ticket for Newcastle next season (big assumption there), can fck off.

• Like 3

Two in the row in front of us in Block 27 last night. Caught them trying to celebrate "politely" when they scored. When Armstrong scored a pile of people that also noticed them started shoving them and giving them shit, myself included with a few "accidental" celebratory flailing knees and taunts. 

All for nothing of course as the goal was chalked off. And I scraped my knee on the seat. What a wanker :poundit:

Anyway, they got enough abuse that they left soon after. Agree that it's been a complete joke at SMS this season - away fans acting like twats at seemingly every game. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, JRM said:

A mate of mine was in 13.35 down from Waterloo with carriage full of Newcastle some of them laughing about how easy it was to buy in the home end, been in top flight for 10 years but our ticket office still a league one operation 

It’s 2023 and the club still can’t design a system that flags up when someone on the system only buys a ticket when we play x team at home. 

Shouldn’t really be that difficult to delete them from the system. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JRM said:

For once Saints fans stood up for themselves and gave a good kicking to a few Geordies who had tickets in the  home end, about time and great to see well done to the Kingsland North 

Deserve a kicking if giving it loads. Don’t agree if minding their own business and being discreet.

Heard a Geordie laid out a steward in Kingsland South.

Was good to see Kingsland kicking off last night it looked, might send a message to the club if fights are breaking out beyond the Itchen North area they love to persecute. If the average nice fan in other areas of the ground are seeing fights in the home end around them i’m sure the club will soon hear about it, and might finally do something about it.

The away end setting off a flare was just laughable, couldn’t see a steward walking in to find the culprit. I’m surprised we’re not giving them to fans on the turnstiles as they go in to help them create atmosphere - i’m sure Virgin Media would’ve done if they were still a sponsor!

• Like 1

The Stewards also allowed Newcastle fans to stand in the gangways throughout the game . In fact there seemed a distinct lack of stewards in the away end last night by the exit / entry points and gangways.

Not sure if pleased is the right word but I was pleased to see those Newcastle fans who "bigged" it up when they scored get a smack. 

As has been said, the club seem hell bent on penalizing Saints fans when ever they can at our OWN ground.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whelk said:

Deserve a kicking if giving it loads. Don’t agree if minding their own business and being discreet.

I was in the Kingsland and left early, there was a steward lay down getting treatment just outside one of the exits.

• Sad 1

Cant comment on last night game, but same happened against Villa in Itchen South. Some Peaky Blinders cosplay lads had a box. Gave it large when they scored and scarpered in before FT.

Saints steward stood there laughing with them. 

Edited by Mr Nimbus
  • Like 1

Was in the back row of Kingsland South for the first time in years last night and got told off by the steward for standing up. Pointed out all the away end stood up and was told the stewards over there would deal with it, yeah right. 🙄 Basically Saints fans have to sit down and shut up while away fans can stand, let off flares and really do whatever the hell they like with no repercussions. The way the club treats it's own fans with disdain compared to away fans is a disgrace and they are not in a position to be pissing off loyal fans.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Was in the back row of Kingsland South for the first time in years last night and got told off by the steward for standing up. Pointed out all the away end stood up and was told the stewards over there would deal with it, yeah right. 🙄 Basically Saints fans have to sit down and shut up while away fans can stand, let off flares and really do whatever the hell they like with no repercussions. The way the club treats it's own fans with disdain compared to away fans is a disgrace and they are not in a position to be pissing off loyal fans.

How can we ever get an intimidating atmosphere to help the team if the fans cant get involved? I bet at St James Park next week they will be on their feet with no stewards telling them to sit down. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Cant comment on last night game, but same happened against Villa in Itchen South. Some Peaky Blinders cosplay lads had a box. Gave it large whwn they scored and scarpered in before FT.

Saints steward stood there laughing with them. 

I saw that. Nothing a well placed hand grenade wouldn't have sorted. Wankers.

6 hours ago, whelk said:

6 hours ago, 100%Red&White said:

Impressive, ain't that part of the family zone, was probably only about 7

Police would like to talk to 2 Newcastle supporters, believed to be around 7 years old, after a steward was attacked last night in the Family Stand

spacer.png

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Appy said:

It’s now like the security at Heathrow Airport to get into the Northam too, we just get treated more and more like criminals. 

It really is time for a home fans boycott now. Sell out away allocations to make our mark but make it clear to Dragan and Henrik that Semmens and especially Toby Steele, and his two Bob puppet from Millwall who has watched too much Green Street in his bedroom at his parents house, have to be sacked as a pre-condition for home attendances to return.

Tens of thousands of empty seats on Sky for the rest of the season’s games (not as if the hapless players respond to support anyway) at least would embarrass the owners into parting company with the morons that have made our fans feel unwelcome and threatened in our own stadium, in the city that many of us were born or grew up in. Askham and Lowe were crap, but even they didn’t stoop this low. 

Can’t see our fanbase being coordinated enough to do it and force Steele and co out of their posts through financial pressure and the prospect of losing huge amounts of money in the Championship where home gates do matter.

Edited by saint1977

19 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Newcastle fans all over the stadium today. Loads in block 36 next to me. Worst fighting between fans I've seen at St Mary's after Newcastle fans celebrated scoring. 

I await the clubs response by saying they vet all fans who buy tickets, they must be on the data base and as a precaution will be shutting off block 36 for the foreseeable future, until our fans learn to behave.

Glad our fans got fucking stuck into them. Arrogant Geordie bastards.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, iansums said:

I was in the Kingsland and left early, there was a steward lay down getting treatment just outside one of the exits.

Hopefully if there a any good to come of that, it’s that’s the club might take away fans in the home end a bit more seriously 

• Like 1

only way to stop this is only allow in season ticket holders which the club wont do because its all about the money,so its up to saints fans to make the experience very unpleasant and then maybe word will get round,dont expect the club to sort it,they have only one interest

5 minutes ago, richie said:

Was the woman in the pink jacket in block 36 on Tuesday night a saints fan or Newcastle? She was absolutely going for it, throwing punches for fun

I think they were all Newcastle, there was another girl with her ejected who was going for it as well. 

Have emailed the club but still awaiting a reply, which will just say that they ejected xx amount of Newcastle fans, it's impossible to identify them when they're not in colours and brought tickets when already in the database. It's a difficult job to police and stewards act as quickly as they can. 

I started this thread as 2 Man Utd fans in shirts got all the way to their seats and were even shown where to go by a steward. They were only removed when saints fans pointed them out. The club emailed me and said the 2 fans removed their coats when they sat down, which was absolute rubbish as they didn't even have coats with them!!!

Edited by Paul Chuckle

Couldn't they impose the same rules the do for away tickets, ie must have attende X number of home games this season before you can buy a ticket? I think I know the answer to that, yes they could, but they don't want to lose the revenue from the away supporters and the casual supporters who want to go to a one off game.