January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Is this Orsic fella actually any good?

Just turned 30, never played in one of Europe’s top leagues, spent about 3-4 years playing in China and Korea, has scored 2 in 27 for his national side.

I can’t say I’ve noticed much of him before, what am I missing? Other than that he’s quite good at long range shots.

26016-A1-A-911-F-4-B3-B-B562-52-B90-CC19

12 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Sorry everyone, I think I've misposted a few things. I don't really believe that ANY set of fans deserve relegation. I just get a bit flustered sometimes when I can't put into words what I want to say. Totally my bad.

As mentioned on here (at every single opportunity because it's my darn card to play!) I'm autistic and I get a bit like this. Stepping away from the forum until tonight, before I make an even bigger tool of myself. By this point, I'd imagine nobody on here could be made to look a bigger tool than the players after the defeat we'd have just got ;)

Anyway, no offence meant to anyone!

COYS #PlayingTheACard

You have to work harder to even enter the top 20 of tools on here mate. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Just turned 30, never played in one of Europe’s top leagues, spent about 3-4 years playing in China and Korea, has scored 2 in 27 for his national side.

I can’t say I’ve noticed much of him before, what am I missing? Other than that he’s quite good at long range shots.

Mislav Oršić - FM 2023 player profile | FM Scout 74 on FM

Stuart Armstrong is 80

Joe Aribo is 79

Let Everton have him i say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Don’t kill the dream

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Not going to lie I don't know a great deal about him, but he does have some decent pedigree at decent levels (Europe, World Cups, Euro's etc). 

The question marks I have is why he's never made a big move in his career up to now, why is he so cheap, and why both WBA and Burnley came so close to signing him over the last couple of years, but then didn't. Be interesting to see how this one pans out.

Dipped into the usual transfer window rubbish. No one except the two clubs know what we are prepared to pay but I am sure there are other irons in the fire. Reading the last few pages in general the support on here for the team is shocking I even read someone wrote "I hope we go down". If people on here were a bit more patient and supportive some would not spout such utter crap. Unless any of you have billionaire or small country status the owners will do it their way and will not change despite the crap written here. I thought this was a transfer window forum could we not have a separate forum for the people slagging off the club, team and owners we are supposed to support. I will be supporting my team tonight and if it doesn't go our way I will not boo and further attack the teams confidence. COYS

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

He's been very good in the Europe, which is naturally my only experience of watching him.

He scored against Chelsea and AC Milan in the CL this year. He scored against West Ham and twice against Sevilla the year before, and a hattrick against Spurs the year before that.

His Champions League record is 12 games, 6 goals and 1 assist.

His Europa League record is 30 games, 13 goals and 6 assists.

Adding a goal and two assists in limited minutes at the World Cup this year. Even if you (somewhat fairly) want to disregard his club record, the numbers above are still very impressive.

There's obviously red flags like you say when a player has just turned 30 and hasn't gone a level above Croatia in his career, but there's enough decent signs with his European record for him to be worth a punt in my eyes.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I was thinking the same 

Maybe I'm being a bit naive here, but wouldn't us signing a Croatian International Midfielder, the most vaunted of all positions in their national team, be a major coup for Saints and thus by doing so would make other prospective signings sit up and take notice and think, hmmm, this club mean business. Make us a more attractive proposition?Surely signing him would elevate the club ? As I say, maybe I'm being a bit naive.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hawkswood said:

Maybe I'm being a bit naive here, but wouldn't us signing a Croatian International Midfielder, the most vaunted of all positions in their national team, be a major coup for Saints and thus by doing so would make other prospective signings sit up and take notice and think, hmmm, this club mean business. Make us a more attractive proposition?Surely signing him would elevate the club ? As I say, maybe I'm being a bit naive.

Absolutely this. 

• Like 3

Tanswell just did a Q&A on IG Live. Nothing ground breaking but brief summary:

Orsic - lots of stuff coming from the Dinamo end. Saints ideally want players under 27 and will only go above that for right player and right price. More clarity likely in coming days.

Moffi - Player Saints definitely like, high up on list and seen as good fit and a do-able transfer

Alcaraz - definitely a realistic option

Lavia - thinks he stays this window

Got a story out next week about recruitment at Saints, said its changed a lot.

• Like 5

Just now, Dusic said:

Orsic - lots of stuff coming from the Dinamo end. Saints ideally want players under 27 and will only go above that for right player and right price. More clarity likely in coming days.

Moffi - Player Saints definitely like, high up on list and seen as good fit and a do-able transfer

Did he say anything about Ings? :)

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Well yeah, everyone has left.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Nah, they'd probably just say 'never heard of him, is he any good?'

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Turkish said:

what? We've offered €5m, they want €7m, about £6.1m where did you get £12m from? What is ludicrous is how much do you think we should pay for an proven exerperienced international player from a team that reached the world cup semi final? Less than an 18 year old left back who is at best 3rd choice and until this season had never started a first team game perhaps?

That’s what DT just offered to pay me, straight off the bat because I asked for it and he said he was essentially desperate, needed players now and didn’t want to haggle. That’s the point, it’s very easy to sit here and chuck Monopoly money around and shout, "just get it done FFS," when you’re not the one signing the cheques. 

Lots of thoroughly mediocre players have played in WC semi-finals, he was up against our very own Mr S. Boufal in the playoff. The fact that he’s 30, has only ever scored twice for Croatia, despite playing for a decent team in an attacking position, and nobody outside of the Croatian League has ever come in for him are a bit of a red flag. Not say he’s bad but this seems to be a punt. For comparison Filip Djuricic has a better club and international record than this guy, so let’s maybe calm down a bit.

17 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with the overall sentiment and I understand how transfers work but we’re discussing this particular one and Id say.. if the reports are true, terms are agreed with the player but we’re arguing over 1-2m euros for a player that has the ability to make a difference is bonkers

Especially if it ends up in him choosing a rival team instead 

Which is why I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. Assuming this isn’t all just agent talk trying to smoke out another bidder somewhere else, the idea that we wouldn’t fork out £6-8m for the player that keeps us up is, as you say, bonkers. The club will know far better than us the costs involved in relegation, so if we won’t pay it we likely don’t think he’s worth it.

Also, he would only choose a rival if they offered him a better deal, not Zagreb. He won’t give a s**t what fee is agreed, only the cut he’s getting, which assuming these rumours are true he is happy with.

• Like 2

Just logged in, we've got people implying we're too good for a Croatian world Cup semi finalist now? They've seen the position we're in and the strength or our attack / midfield? Did any of our current crop even make it past the groups? 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Chez said:

The compensation to Luton was £2.5m according to many sources, rather than £4-5m.

We don't know how much we paid off Ralph. His salary was guessed at £6m, and with 18 months left we would thus be legally required (potentially) to pay him £9m. There would be no choice - unless you mean the choice was to keep him or not? Also, his contract (and potential pay off if sacked) was agreed prior to SR coming in. 

I was being facetious, a spin on the possibility that we might have failed to sign a couple of attacking players in the summer due to arguing over pennies, while having a substantial net spend in the same transfer window. To answer your original question, I don't know - probably just down to fans grumbling on the internet.

I've watched Moffi playing (if you could call it that) for Lorient against Montpellier, bottom third, 0-2, and Anger bottom 2-1. If he touched the ball more than three times over both games I missed it. Never made it out of a trot and looked totally disinterested. Absolutely no goal threat. Lorient were poor as well. I thought we were bad but these two games took it to a whole new level of crap. Chez saw the same matches. He looked athletic but he'd make Moi look like an all action dynamo.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, not entirley sure why Larios gets pelters as an example of a poor transfer. We haven't really seen him, he does look very small in sature but we've not seen enough of him yet.

Isn’t that always the saintsweb way?  the players who can’t get in the team are always shit. 
even edozie was being talked down as not being ready before Jones started playing him from the start..

mara is another one we don’t really know how good he is because he’s been mostly on the bench.. I’d be very very surprised if he’s not better then Adam Armstrong though :)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Just logged in, we've got people implying we're too good for a Croatian world Cup semi finalist now? They've seen the position we're in and the strength or our attack / midfield? Did any of our current crop even make it past the groups? 

We had an ex player of ours called Boufal who made it to the semis. Maybe we should go for him.

41 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't agree with that at all.

That's fair enough.  Only my view on what I've seen of him so far. I think it's even tougher for youngsters if they're very small especially at this level.  He might well fill out and toughen up a bit because he looks to have a bit of skill.

42 minutes ago, Le Timmier said:

Do you not think that the quality of the opposition is a factor that might be worth considering?

I've already explained that, in my view, the type of goals he scores are spectacular in the main. He's scored goals against top opposition including a superb hat trick against Spurs. Still, probably not good enough for us.

20 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Isn’t that always the saintsweb way?  the players who can’t get in the team are always shit. 

The SaintsWeb way is that players who can't get in the team are world beaters who just have never been given a chance.

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 19.02.30.png

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Ok I am going for it.

We all know the people who do the ratings for football manager dont really know what they are doing. 

Oh, I dunno. Aribo trots back like he's about 79

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Sorry everyone, I think I've misposted a few things. I don't really believe that ANY set of fans deserve relegation. I just get a bit flustered sometimes when I can't put into words what I want to say. Totally my bad.

As mentioned on here (at every single opportunity because it's my darn card to play!) I'm autistic and I get a bit like this. Stepping away from the forum until tonight, before I make an even bigger tool of myself. By this point, I'd imagine nobody on here could be made to look a bigger tool than the players after the defeat we'd have just got ;)

Anyway, no offence meant to anyone!

COYS #PlayingTheACard

Mate, you've got a long way to go if you hope to top the Tool Rankings around these parts. You need to really up your game - you're competing with some startling weapons.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

That’s what DT just offered to pay me, straight off the bat because I asked for it and he said he was essentially desperate, needed players now and didn’t want to haggle. That’s the point, it’s very easy to sit here and chuck Monopoly money around and shout, "just get it done FFS," when you’re not the one signing the cheques. 

Lots of thoroughly mediocre players have played in WC semi-finals, he was up against our very own Mr S. Boufal in the playoff. The fact that he’s 30, has only ever scored twice for Croatia, despite playing for a decent team in an attacking position, and nobody outside of the Croatian League has ever come in for him are a bit of a red flag. Not say he’s bad but this seems to be a punt. For comparison Filip Djuricic has a better club and international record than this guy, so let’s maybe calm down a bit.

Which is why I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. Assuming this isn’t all just agent talk trying to smoke out another bidder somewhere else, the idea that we wouldn’t fork out £6-8m for the player that keeps us up is, as you say, bonkers. The club will know far better than us the costs involved in relegation, so if we won’t pay it we likely don’t think he’s worth it.

Also, he would only choose a rival if they offered him a better deal, not Zagreb. He won’t give a s**t what fee is agreed, only the cut he’s getting, which assuming these rumours are true he is happy with.

Absolutely spot on 👍

37 minutes ago, saintant said:

I've already explained that, in my view, the type of goals he scores are spectacular in the main. He's scored goals against top opposition including a superb hat trick against Spurs. Still, probably not good enough for us.

Are you able to explain why, (as he’s such a spectacular talent), he’s spent he’s whole career playing his club football in the Chinese, South Korean and Croatian leagues?

(and to be clear - I haven’t said he probably isn’t good enough for us, he could well be a good signing, I merely pointed out that he’s never played in a top league, which is a fact)

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Zagreb don’t want £12m, that want about half that. That isn’t Monopoly money, its less than we paid for a third choice full back who had never played in anyones first team 

You do realise we are bottom of the league and probably need to win more games in our last 19 this season than we did in the entire year of 2022? We have a very, very weak squad and if we don’t add to it we are down. 

unfortunately it isn’t just saints fans who know that, the rest of the football world does as well. That’s why especially in this particular transfer window walking away from a player who could pontentally make a difference over £1m seems a bit crazy, surely even you entrenched in your view  that we should never, ever make a high bid, and your made up little scenarios of just imagine if someone who works in McDonald’s wanted to buy a Ferrari and imagine if we’d spent £20m on Aribo, can comprehend that relatively simple point?

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Zagreb don’t want £12m, that want about half that. That isn’t Monopoly money, its less than we paid for a third choice full back who had never played in anyones first team 

You do realise we are bottom of the league and probably need to win more games in our last 19 this season than we did in the entire year of 2022? We have a very, very weak squad and if we don’t add to it we are down. 

unfortunately it isn’t just saints fans who know that, the rest of the football world does as well. That’s why especially in this particular transfer window walking away from a player who could pontentally make a difference over £1m seems a bit crazy, surely even you entrenched in your view  that we should never, ever make a high bid, and your made up little scenarios of just imagine if someone who works in McDonald’s wanted to buy a Ferrari and imagine if we’d spent £20m on Aribo, can comprehend that relatively simple point?

You either don’t want to understand the points I made or you genuinely can’t comprehend analogies, negotiation or inflation. I am well aware that we need some serious attacking quality to stay up and even then it might not be enough. That doesn’t mean we should just chuck whatever money anyone asks for according to a bunch of tweets about a player who’s never played club football outside of Croatia.