January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Dear god. 

Do you really believe this pony. That Everton & West Ham weren’t fully aware he was available. Do you think their scouting dept would suddenly say “fuck me, we didn’t know he was open to a move to England “ if we stole in and got him 😂.

That ship sailed years ago. 

Exactly, surely everyone understands that every club will be aware of every player available and either this player is already on thier short list of targets or not. Ultimately its down to the club to convince them that their club is the right move for them. this would be a combination of wages and their feeling of the clubs potential and how they fit in to the plans. 

I seem to remember a number of comments from previous players that had signed for NJ that he created detailed bespoke presentations of how he wanted the player to fit into his plans that swung them to choosing Luton over better financial offers. Maybe we will start to see some of the skills that he has benefit our transfer plans.?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

I'll be incredibly disappointed if we don't have at least one new signing before the next league game after tonight, Everton. That's 10 days.

And if NJ then says they need time to adapt to our style of play then I officially give up.

Or he is injured and we have to wait until the injury is healed…..

I'll be incredibly disappointed if we don't have at least one new signing before the next league game after tonight, Everton. That's 10 days.

And if NJ then says they need time to adapt to our style of play then I officially give up.

How long does it take to get used to giving the ball away, not tracking runners and playing slow ploddy football. I think I could give it a go

2 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Can't believe all the Alex Crook hating on here. He's an A grade journalist.  He's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again, until he comes up with that exclusive transfer article.

Urggghh, does anyone here speak English?

Excellent post Ron. Some light relief from the onslaught of Peter Risdale School of Business graduates was much needed. 

• Haha 1

One of the most infuriating football management phrases ever. Maybe it's just used to cover up that they are currently `unfit'.

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

Where has this theory come from that SR being tight has cost us a transfer?

Schrodinger's wallet. Case in point, we were such spendthrifts that we blew £4-5M on compensation for Luton Town (and up to £10M for Ralph to take a break), yet simultaneously too miserly to tempt anyone to join as manager.

• Confused 1

Weston Saint told me a transfer story he got from a Saints director he knew well. A club came to negotiate with us about a player that we wanted, the club wanted about £1m for him. We started the negotiations with something along the lines of, "Before you say anything I'm not going to pay any more than £2m" Apparently hand snatched and job done.:mcinnes:     Ron, was that near enough.

Edited by derry

https://sportske.jutarnji.hr/sn/nogomet/hnl/klubovi/dinamo/doznajemo-koliko-su-englezi-ponudili-za-orsica-i-sto-trazi-dinamo-sad-je-jasno-i-sto-zeli-zvijezda-modrih-15292370

WE FIND OUT HOW MUCH THE ENGLISH OFFERED FOR ORŠIĆ AND WHAT DINAMO IS LOOKING FOR! NOW IT IS CLEAR WHAT THE BLUE STAR WANTS
He talked to Orša and the coach, and he conveyed his wish to him. And who can blame him?

Southampton offered 5 million euros for Mislav Oršić . And payment in installments in several installments. That was not to the taste of Dinamo's management, which is looking for a bit more money for its, by all accounts, best player and club legend. Not much more, but at least 6-7 million euros with some bonuses. Let's say, the number of appearances of Oršić for the Saints, the assurance of staying in the Premiership, or if they are relegated, a bonus for returning again...

This all shows you that Dinamo does not create any great obstacle for Oršić's departure, but is still looking for a more generous figure in order to be able to invest in bringing other players to the blue dressing room. Things are like this...

So Dinamo already stopped Mislav from going to Burnley, even though he wanted to leave. Because of this, Orša was rewarded with an improved contract, as a reward. However, the club also promised him that they would meet him with the next offer, and that they would let him go if that offer was satisfactory for the club. In the blue club, they are aware that their great player and Croatian representative definitely deserved to go to probably the strongest league in the Globe, that he made a huge contribution to the club, that he is the best European scorer in history....

As well as that he has a promise that he will be released if an adequate offer comes, which should not be "double digits" at all. They are also aware of how much Oršić means to the team, not only in terms of playing, but also in an emotional sense. Especially when it comes to fans. Orša is certainly the most favorite player among Dinamo fans at the moment. It is clear to everyone that it is not easy to give up Mislav Oršić...

However, it is also clear that his wish to leave should be respected.

Because Orša wants to go to the Premiership, finally, he has already agreed all his conditions with Southampton. Oršić spoke with coach Anto Čačić , and conveyed to him his desire to leave. And who can blame him? Because there is no player who would not like to play in the Premiership. Every week to collide with two Manchesters, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool... Well, that's probably the wish of every player, at the level of playing for the national team.

And we repeat, don't forget that Oršić is thirty years old. This is probably his last train to the Premiership. He will not get any younger, he will get older every day and every day his going out will be further and further away. Few people buy players in their thirties, that's a harsh fact.

However, Dinamo wants to be a good manager and still doesn't want to sell him "at first" for money that he thinks is not enough. Ali is also willing to trade further with Southampton.

It is believed that the Saints will offer more than they did, that 5 million euros. Finally, Southampton is a rich club, it's not that they are in a financial crisis, they can push a few more 'millions' into the blue coffers. That's why we need to see what will happen next, how this story will unfold. According to our knowledge, Dinamo is open to further negotiations with the English, only they have to come to them with a slightly bigger wallet.

https://sportske.jutarnji.hr/sn/nogomet/hnl/klubovi/dinamo/englezi-pisu-southampton-je-pretrpio-zestok-udarac-u-pokusaju-dovodenja-mislava-orsica-15292379

Will Mislav Oršić continue his career at Southampton? This potential transfer has been discussed for several days, and an agreement between Dinamo, the English club and the player has not yet been reached. According to new news from England, the transfer may not even take place.

Namely, the Daily Mail publishes an article with the title "Southampton suffered a severe blow in the attempt to bring Mislav Oršić". The text states that the Croatian representative is in negotiations with other clubs, and when Southampton found out about it, they also turned to other options.

The departure of Oršić would be a great loss for Dinamo! He deserved everything, but also a bigger club than this one that wants to bring him'
This primarily refers to Carlos Alvarez , a 20-year-old Argentine who is a member of Racing. He is first and foremost a central midfielder, but he also excels at the right wing position, and last year he scored 9 goals and had 2 assists in 42 games in all competitions.

Transfermarkt values Alvarez at 8.5 million euros, which would correspond to the amount that is mostly mentioned as compensation that Dinamo demanded for Oršić. Whether one of these two will come to Southampton by the end of the transfer window remains to be seen.

Second one seems to be a rehash of the DailyFail article.

19 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Schrodinger's wallet. Case in point, we were such spendthrifts that we blew £4-5M on compensation for Luton Town (and up to £10M for Ralph to take a break), yet simultaneously too miserly to tempt anyone to join as manager.

The compensation to Luton was £2.5m according to many sources, rather than £4-5m.

We don't know how much we paid off Ralph. His salary was guessed at £6m, and with 18 months left we would thus be legally required (potentially) to pay him £9m. There would be no choice - unless you mean the choice was to keep him or not? Also, his contract (and potential pay off if sacked) was agreed prior to SR coming in. 

11 minutes ago, derry said:

Weston Saint told me a transfer story he got from a Saints director he knew well. A club came to negotiate with us about a player that we wanted, the club wanted about £1m for him. We started the negotiations with something along the lines of, "Before you say anything I'm not going to pay any more than £2m" Apparently hand snatched and job done.:mcinnes:     Ron, was that near enough.

If they offered £2m, then the first thing the seller would have done was say he wanted £4m. 

Also, that sounds like the story about Risdale offering Seth Johnson £30k a week when he was only looking for £13k a week...and then paying £37k a week in the end. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

If they offered £2m, then the first thing the seller would have done was say he wanted £4m. 

Also, that sounds like the story about Risdale offering Seth Johnson £30k a week when he was only looking for £13k a week...and then paying £37k a week in the end. 

Similar story with Danny Mills when he renegotiated his Leeds contract after become an England international. He was supposedly on about £25k with his first contract, before the meeting with Risdale it was agreed with his agent they would ask for about £40k, on the way to the meeting they decided to go balls out and ask for nearer £50k not expecting to get anywhere near it, he ended up walking away with a deal for about £60k. Its on a podcast called Under the cosh you can hear where Mills tells the whole story along with some other good stuff about his time as a player. 

• Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

Similar story with Danny Mills when he renegotiated his Leeds contract after become an England international. He was supposedly on about £25k with his first contract, before the meeting with Risdale it was agreed with his agent they would ask for about £40k, on the way to the meeting they decided to go balls out and ask for nearer £50k not expecting to get anywhere near it, he ended up walking away with a deal for about £60k. Its on a podcast called Under the cosh you can hear where Mills tells the whole story along with some other good stuff about his time as a player. 

Brilliant podcasts those!

There’s some great ones on there - Nicky Weaver is funny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

For everyone's sanity it's probably a good idea to stick DT on ignore for the next 4 weeks.

What do you think DT stands for? Delirium Tremens?

"Delirium tremens usually includes extremely intense feelings of "impending doom".

Yep, that fits..

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, derry said:

The Brian Epstein school of business management.

When negotiating Beatles merchandise deal when they first hit it big in America similar was alleged.
Epstein said 90/10 split of all profits, the yanks he was negotiating with mulled it over.  10% of all the books, wigs, clothing, poster etc could result in millions of dollars , they thought it a great deal, so they went for it. After agreeing, to their amazement they then realised that Epstein was talking about 10% for The Beatles and 90% for them. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

18 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

What do you think DT stands for?

I thought it might be Latin for 'Attention Seeker' but it turns out that's 'Operam Quaesitor'. Oh well, back to the drawing board....

Edited by trousers

Sounds like with Orsic if we want to sign him then we will. Worth considering that there are probably multiple players of the same position being negotiated for at any one time which potentially impacts the timeframes whilst they assess which deal to actually do and how that then has a knock on for which targets in other positions become affordable/unaffordable because of it.

Also its too simplistic to just look at a fee and decide if its a good or bad offer. Usually the devil is in the detail around the terms, add ons and number of payment installments.

There also must be a reason why no PL sides have moved for Orsic til now, aside from the failed West Brom and Burnley moves...I guess from a league perspective its a big step up for a 30 year old thats been used to playing in a winning team.