Saints v Brentford - Postponed

ErwinK1961

I think the issue is that football is not some noddy niche sport like Rugby. If it was a genuine big Rugby match (England in the 6 Nations) then it would be off. Worcester vs Sale or whatever, who gives a shit.

Premier League football generates too much news and attention, plus the crowds and the supporters present too much risk of a negative story.

Even a basic Premier League weekend is a huge part of the national conversation, so it would just take up too much attention in a weekend like this.

It's annoying - especially the kids football thing, which should have gone ahead - but I can see why, and I think it is the right call.

Last Night of the Proms is the mad one for me, and I don't even like it. Should be going ahead 100%, just with a slightly different running order.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, whelk said:

Who are ‘you lot’? Miserable isn’t mourning ‘to be fair’

Sure looks a lot like being miserable to me. By you lot I meant the grief police, it was a general point and probably doesn’t really apply to you that much so apologies for that. Just think the disrespectful argument is a bit of a cop out. Sure some people have been but generally most aren’t and no one as far as I can see has come up with a reason why going to a football match is disrespectful. Stupid idea and should rightly be criticised.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Sure looks a lot like being miserable to me. By you lot I meant the grief police, it was a general point and probably doesn’t really apply to you that much so apologies for that. Just think the disrespectful argument is a bit of a cop out. Sure some people have been but generally most aren’t and no one as far as I can see has come up with a reason why going to a football match is disrespectful. Stupid idea and should rightly be criticised.

"Going to a football match is disrespectful" is not the reason given though is it?

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Why are humans seemingly obsessed with labelling things as 'right' or 'wrong'. Surely it's just different opinions? 

I don't know. Try asking the people on here who will tell me my views on the Royals are wrong. Or those that call me a Remainer, pinko, traitor.

Edited by badgerx16

36 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

OK what is it then?

The Premier League put a statement out, its on their social media feeds, and on their website as well I guess.

You'll know it when you see it. It's the statement that at no point mentions anything remotely like "going to football is disrespectful".

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The Premier League put a statement out, its on their social media feeds, and on their website as well I guess.

You'll know it when you see it. It's the statement that at no point mentions anything remotely like "going to football is disrespectful".

Can’t be arsed mate. Suspect you can’t really give me an answer but that’s fine.

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

"As a mark of respect this weekends games will be postponed " 

No other sport has needed to do that, it's nonsense in my opinion and that of all other fans I've spoken to. 

You don't need to postpone to show respect,  perhaps they're worried Liverpool and Celtic would sing through the minutes silence. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

"As a mark of respect this weekends games will be postponed " 

No other sport has needed to do that, it's nonsense in my opinion and that of all other fans I've spoken to. 

You don't need to postpone to show respect,  perhaps they're worried Liverpool and Celtic would sing through the minutes silence. 

PL should have just postponed those scouse cunts games and put a statement out that they cannot be trusted to be respectful and grieve appropriately. 

2 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Disrespectful would be to not lower the flag at the Palace when Diana died and to only relent once public opinion was known...

The flag wasn’t flown at half mast because the Royal Standard never is and the queen was in residence, you will note that today the royal standard was at full height when Charles arrived.  The queen had to leave Buckingham palace so they could take down the royal standard and replace it with the union flag at half mast.  It was simple traditional protocol and no intended slight the British people are just dumb at times.

Edited by a1ex2001
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, JRM said:

I believe locally the Romsey show is still on tomorrow, two sold out performances at The Mayflower theatre for The Lion King, New Forest marathon goes ahead, its making the football look a bit silly really. 

What none of those other events have, and rugby & cricket, is football fans. If any crowd of people are going to behave like disrespectful cocks, it's at football. 

Correct decision for me. Football can miss a week, no hardship. I think it's those getting upset about it who are looking a bit silly imo. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, egg said:

What none of those other events have, and rugby & cricket, is football fans. If any crowd of people are going to behave like disrespectful cocks, it's at football. 

Correct decision for me. Football can miss a week, no hardship. I think it's those getting upset about it who are looking a bit silly imo. 

Do you think it will be just the one?

7 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

The flag wasn’t flown at half mast because the Royal Standard never is and the queen was in residence, you will note that today the royal standard was at full height when Charles arrived.  The queen had to leave Buckingham palace so the could take down the royal standard and replace it with the union flag at half mast.  It was simple traditional protocol and no intended slight the British people are just dumb at time.

Indeed. Unless I'm mistaken, a new process was created to ensure a flag WAS flown out of respect for Diana. 

10 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

The flag wasn’t flown at half mast because the Royal Standard never is and the queen was in residence, you will note that today the royal standard was at full height when Charles arrived.  The queen had to leave Buckingham palace so the could take down the royal standard and replace it with the union flag at half mast.  It was simple traditional protocol and no intended slight the British people are just dumb at time.

That's all very well and good, but kindly keep your facts to yourself in future rather than trying to spread them on here. Final warning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

Disrespectful would be to turn a blind eye to what the Catholic church was doing to first nations children all over Canada on her watch...

You have overlooked Henry VIII who saved us from the pope as well as the rule that no king or queen can be a catholic . In 2013 members of the royal family in the line of succession could marry a catholic as well as female members being allowed to take their place in the line . The king or queen cannot still be a catholic as the post involves being head of the church of England so hats off to Henry and Elizabeth of old .

5 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

You have overlooked Henry VIII who saved us from the pope as well as the rule that no king or queen can be a catholic . In 2013 members of the royal family in the line of succession could marry a catholic as well as female members being allowed to take their place in the line . The king or queen cannot still be a catholic as the post involves being head of the church of England so hats off to Henry and Elizabeth of old .

In Henry’s case it would have been heads off.

11 minutes ago, egg said:

I think because the Prem matches are spread over 3 or 4 days usually if say Fri & Sat are pp then they would claim unfair as it would leave Sun/mon teams without the same fixture congestion later etc . They prob thought it was easier / fairer to pp the whole weekend and not get VAR involved ! They are prob now sweating on when the funeral will be etc.

19 minutes ago, egg said:

But your argument rests on the idea that being disrespectful to the Queen cannot be tolerated. Whereas many of us question why we have to upend everything for the sake of people who won't even be at the game

• Like 1

Just now, East Kent Saint said:

I think because the Prem matches are spread over 3 or 4 days usually if say Fri & Sat are pp then they would claim unfair as it would leave Sun/mon teams without the same fixture congestion later etc . They prob thought it was easier / fairer to pp the whole weekend and not get VAR involved ! They are prob now sweating on when the funeral will be etc.

I suspect it'll just be this weeks round of matches that are cancelled, then business as usual next weekend, then cancelling games on the day the funeral and the day after, then as you were. 

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

But your argument rests on the idea that being disrespectful to the Queen cannot be tolerated. Whereas many of us question why we have to upend everything for the sake of people who won't even be at the game

I'm not arguing anything. I'm saying that i have no issue with postponing this round of fixtures. Others disagree. End of discussion for me, particularly given some of the nonsense posted in this thread. It's one week's football ffs, get a grip and enjoy the weekend doing something else. 

• Like 4

Every weekend we’re there in person or watching on TV hoping to see something special. Of course, we want it to come from the side we support. Sometimes, though, it comes from the other side, but that doesn’t stop it from being special, and we stand there for a while in grudging admiration. The weekend postponements are a good way to pause for some well-earned admiration, grudging or not. I’m fine with that.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I've literally given you the answer. Fucking weirdo.

Bit disrespectful isn’t it? Not sure the queen would like that. Anyway bit bored of this now, you can’t justify the cancellation of the games and are getting a bit worked up over it all. Go back to your candle lit vigil. 

Edited by revolution saint
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1