Saints v Brentford - Postponed

ErwinK1961

36 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Bit disrespectful isn’t it? Not sure the queen would like that. Anyway bit bored of this now, you can’t justify the cancellation of the games and are getting a bit worked up over it all. Go back to your candle lit vigil. 

I don't need to justify it, I'm not The Premier League sweetheart.

Just pointing out that you're fuming about a reason you've made up in your own head. Do keep raging though, it's wonderful x x x x

Totally understand the reason to postpone top flight games. Bottom line is that the Premier League is broadcast around the world and they’ve obviously taken the view that going ahead wouldn’t be an appropriate reflection of the current state of national mourning.

There was probably an argument for carrying on with lower league games but nevertheless it’s hardly a surprise they made the same decision.

• Like 2

Would have been an interesting one if games had gone ahead, Liverpool fans loudly booed the national anthem at Cup finals, I reckon they'd sing you'll never walk alone rather than have a minutes silence for the Queen. 

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

Would have been an interesting one if games had gone ahead, Liverpool fans loudly booed the national anthem at Cup finals, I reckon they'd sing you'll never walk alone rather than have a minutes silence for the Queen. 

To be honest, a minute's silence followed by YNWA would be a tremendous tribute.

I'm all for respecting the Queen and happy to go along with tributes, be it cancellation of events/football/whatever, but as most of these other events have been allowed to continue you can only put it down to the lack of trust put into some that attend football matches. In  particular certain teams in the north west of England and east end of Glasgow.

And if say those 'cheeky' scousers boo/disrespect any tribute at Anfield then I hope (even more) that Ajax absolutely rinse the gobshites. Justice for the 96 years her majesty graced this nation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Damned if they did, damned if they didn’t.

I don’t see that they would be. I haven’t seen any other sports be criticised for carrying on. In fact, I’m just watching the cricket and Atherton on comms just said that the crowd will be happy that a) the game is on and b) they had an opportunity for a communal moment of reflection. 

The only good reason I can see for cancelling games is that they’re afraid the scummy Liverpool fans wouldn’t respect the minutes silence. And they may have a point about that, to be fair.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, egg said:

I'm not arguing anything. I'm saying that i have no issue with postponing this round of fixtures. Others disagree. End of discussion for me, particularly given some of the nonsense posted in this thread. It's one week's football ffs, get a grip and enjoy the weekend doing something else. 

There was a discussion about it on TalkSport yesterday afternoon and one of the points raised was that, agree or disagree with it, there is no right or wrong decision. If organisations want to show respect by shutting down, that is their call. I don’t usually agree with anything Adrian Durham says but he made the point yesterday that we are very used to the wearing of black arm bands and a minute’s silence or applause, but this particular occasion is far bigger than the passing of a club stalwart etc and needed to be treated as such. Respect can be shown in many ways, football has decided to show its respect by taking time out, other sports have taken different decisions. Durham’s point was that by doing something else other than watch or play a football match, you would give a bit of thought to why that was and perhaps reflect a bit on the reason. This has triggered a range of emotions in people all over the world. My wife was very teary on Thursday evening and for her it brought back memories of the passing of her grandmother. For many Elizabeth carried the burden of our national identity and the qualities that we aspire to that makes us British. Historically it is the end of an era. As has been said, this isn’t the passing of some sweet old granny, it is so much bigger than that. It isn’t about taking away our fun. I am sure plenty of people will find other ways to enjoy themselves. For me it will be a dog walk and a trip to Tescos. But as Durham says, at 3pm this afternoon I will be filling up a shopping trolley instead of trying to get a dodgy stream to watch the footie and will be aware of why that is. This is a massive event for this country and of great interest around the world. There are things bigger than sport or having fun for 90 minutes and if the lack of EPL football on screens around the world help people remember that then postponed matches is a small price to pay. As said, for those desperate for a fun diversion there are still plenty of other things you can do, but if you whinge and moan about the lack of football this afternoon instead of doing something else just as “fun” then that is your choice.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

There was a discussion about it on TalkSport yesterday afternoon and one of the points raised was that, agree or disagree with it, there is no right or wrong decision. If organisations want to show respect by shutting down, that is their call. I don’t usually agree with anything Adrian Durham says but he made the point yesterday that we are very used to the wearing of black arm bands and a minute’s silence or applause, but this particular occasion is far bigger than the passing of a club stalwart etc and needed to be treated as such. Respect can be shown in many ways, football has decided to show its respect by taking time out, other sports have taken different decisions. Durham’s point was that by doing something else other than watch or play a football match, you would give a bit of thought to why that was and perhaps reflect a bit on the reason. This has triggered a range of emotions in people all over the world. My wife was very teary on Thursday evening and for her it brought back memories of the passing of her grandmother. For many Elizabeth carried the burden of our national identity and the qualities that we aspire to that makes us British. Historically it is the end of an era. As has been said, this isn’t the passing of some sweet old granny, it is so much bigger than that. It isn’t about taking away our fun. I am sure plenty of people will find other ways to enjoy themselves. For me it will be a dog walk and a trip to Tescos. But as Durham says, at 3pm this afternoon I will be filling up a shopping trolley instead of trying to get a dodgy stream to watch the footie and will be aware of why that is. This is a massive event for this country and of great interest around the world. There are things bigger than sport or having fun for 90 minutes and if the lack of EPL football on screens around the world help people remember that then postponed matches is a small price to pay. As said, for those desperate for a fun diversion there are still plenty of other things you can do, but if you whinge and moan about the lack of football this afternoon instead of doing something else just as “fun” then that is your choice.

Your idea of fun is a trip to Tesco? No wonder you’re such a misery guts 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

For me and my grandson it would have been an afternoon out together, not 90 minutes sat in front of a screen or a visit to a supermarket. We could have paid our respects together with tens of thousands of others and it would have been a solemn and thoughtful occasion.

Instead what will be doing?

Utter nonsense that serves no purpose to anybody. I have my own memories of our Queen and I don’t need to flagellate myself in public to respect Her Majesty or be thankful for what she has done for us.

• Like 3

Likely, the Premier League did not want to risk tossers in Liverpool gobbing and embarrassing the 'brand'

Also, I can only assume authorities in London will be extremely stretched over the next week or so, and can do without 'managing' football in the capital

If this weekend games are off, surely will be the same next weekend?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2

Just been reading about the Hearts game on Thursday night, the minutes silence didn’t go very well.  One fella shouted “Fuck the Queen” then it descended into chaos.  Stay classy, Scotland.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/09/queen-elizabeth-ii-dies-football-fans-boo-minutes-silence-at-hearts-vs-istanbul-basaksehir-match-17332874/

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Just been reading about the Hearts game on Thursday night, the minutes silence didn’t go very well.  One fella shouted “Fuck the Queen” then it descended into chaos.  Stay classy, Scotland.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/09/queen-elizabeth-ii-dies-football-fans-boo-minutes-silence-at-hearts-vs-istanbul-basaksehir-match-17332874/

Surprised at that from Hearts, I’ve got a couple of mates who are hearts fans and they’re generally pretty supportive of all things English. They’re anti Celtic due to their IRA and pro Palestine stance which I believe is the general views of Hearts fans. I suspect it’ll be a minority but the. It always it

21 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Likely, the Premier League did not want to risk tossers in Liverpool gobbing and embarrassing the 'brand'

Also, I can only assume authorities in London will be extremely stretched over the next week or so, and can do without 'managing' football in the capital

If this weekend games are off, surely will be the same next weekend?

Tossers at Liverpool? You mean that special club from the special city with great fans providing the best atmosphere in world football, no way would club dignity and class boo the death of someone

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Tossers at Liverpool? You mean that special club from the special city with great fans providing the best atmosphere in world football, no way would club dignity and class boo the death of someone

The fact that they don’t see themselves as English we should throw them out of our PL. 

Won’t  grass on child killers either. Special City

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

For me and my grandson it would have been an afternoon out together, not 90 minutes sat in front of a screen or a visit to a supermarket. We could have paid our respects together with tens of thousands of others and it would have been a solemn and thoughtful occasion.

Utter nonsense that serves no purpose to anybody. I have my own memories of our Queen and I don’t need to flagellate myself in public to respect Her Majesty or be thankful for what she has done for us.

Is anybody suggesting that you should flagellate yourself in public? It is very simple. The games have been cancelled as a mark of respect to HM Elizabeth II. You now have the afternoon to do something else of your choosing instead. If you feel the need to join with others to pay your respects, perhaps go to a rugby match or to church? You can still have an afternoon out with your grandson doing something else. Alternatively you can sit on a keyboard and moan about it all day. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Surprised at that from Hearts, I’ve got a couple of mates who are hearts fans and they’re generally pretty supportive of all things English. They’re anti Celtic due to their IRA and pro Palestine stance which I believe is the general views of Hearts fans. I suspect it’ll be a minority but the. It always it

The Queen wasn’t just English. She was just as much Queen of Scotland, and proud of it.

10 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Is anybody suggesting that you should flagellate yourself in public? It is very simple. The games have been cancelled as a mark of respect to HM Elizabeth II. You now have the afternoon to do something else of your choosing instead. If you feel the need to join with others to pay your respects, perhaps go to a rugby match or to church? You can still have an afternoon out with your grandson doing something else. Alternatively you can sit on a keyboard and moan about it all day. 

It’s very simple. Those of us who have tickets for today’s game are bloody annoyed. Obviously this doesn’t include you because you don’t actually go to games. What is all this crap about a ‘mark of respect’? That feeble excuse covers all sorts of things. It is not in any way disrespectful to go to a football match.

And no, I can’t have an afternoon out with my grandson for practical reasons of travel and costs. He will be twenty in a couple of weeks and doesn’t live nearby. I wouldn’t be sitting at my keyboard if we were at the game, would I?

There is a good chance that we won’t be able to go to the re-arranged game.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It’s very simple. Those of us who have tickets for today’s game are bloody annoyed. Obviously this doesn’t include you because you don’t actually go to games. What is all this crap about a ‘mark of respect’? That feeble excuse covers all sorts of things. It is not in any way disrespectful to go to a football match.

And no, I can’t have an afternoon out with my grandson for practical reasons of travel and costs. He will be twenty in a couple of weeks and doesn’t live nearby. I wouldn’t be sitting at my keyboard if we were at the game, would I?

There is a good chance that we won’t be able to go to the re-arranged game.

The most famous woman on the planet, one of the most famous people in the entire world, and one of the most gigantic global figures of the last 100 years has just died - who was our Head of State. 

Noting the idiocy of some those who attend football, I can understand why the FA etc have called-off the fixtures (which will likely happen next weekend).

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

I’m a little disappointed I can’t go to the game this afternoon, but kind of get that the FA don’t want the headlines if some idiots decide to ruin the minutes silence, which unfortunately, they probably would. Though expect only delaying it for the next game so seems a little pointless.

More annoyed that they called off grassroots footy too. We got an email from our league early yesterday requesting, as expected, we have a minutes silence before the game. So was looking forward to the opportunity for me and my team to pay our respects before the game. Just seems odd to stop the kids playing. 

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

No disrespect Whitey, but it's a sad state of affairs if you and your grandson can only enjoy time in each others company if it involves watching a football match. What else you choose to do is a matter for the two of you, but there's a multitude of options. It's one round of fixtures, possibly two. It's truly pathetic frankly that people are stamping their feet over the postponement of some football matches, and can't appreciate why it's been done. 

• Like 3

I get why we don't want people making jokes or singing offensive songs about minority groups as these people take a lot of shit all the time, but cancelling all football to protect people who will be offended because they liked the queen just seems like taking it way too far

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Good post SOG, but there's gotta be better things to do than shopping mate! Romsey show for me with the wife and friends, out for dinner tonight. 

8 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I get why we don't want people making jokes or singing offensive songs about minority groups as these people take a lot of shit all the time, but cancelling all football to protect people who will be offended because they liked the queen just seems like taking it way too far

Thankfully, it is likely not to be the reason. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, egg said:

No disrespect Whitey, but it's a sad state of affairs if you and your grandson can only enjoy time in each others company if it involves watching a football match. What else you choose to do is a matter for the two of you, but there's a multitude of options. It's one round of fixtures, possibly two. It's truly pathetic frankly that people are stamping their feet over the postponement of some football matches, and can't appreciate why it's been done. 

From your responses I assume that you didn’t have a ticket for today’s game?

This particular grandson is away at university. My other two are in my lounge watch Lord of the Rings but they live very close by and we see each other regularly. My life is very full and planned and committed months in advance. It has to be because I want to make the most of what time I have left. Whether or not we can go when this game is re-arranged is about 50/50.

And no, I cannot appreciate why it has been done. The death of a monarch is no big deal. It is significant in our history but it is not important and calling off a round or two of all football matches is way over the top. It is nothing less than virtue signalling.

For the first twenty years of my life I used to have coins in my pocket from at least our last six monarchs. You youngsters might not have known any other head of state but changing one is nothing special. My grandmother lived through six of them, my mother four.

• Like 1

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

This particular grandson is away at university. My other two are in my lounge watch Lord of the Rings but they live very close by and we see each other regularly. My life is very full and planned and committed months in advance. It has to be because I want to make the most of what time I have left. Whether or not we can go when this game is re-arranged is about 50/50.

And no, I cannot appreciate why it has been done. The death of a monarch is no big deal. It is significant in our history but it is not important and calling off a round or two of all football matches is way over the top. It is nothing less than virtue signalling.

For the first twenty years of my life I used to have coins in my pocket from at least our last six monarchs. You youngsters might not have known any other head of state but changing one is nothing special. My grandmother lived through six of them, my mother four.

Maybe, tell the rest of the entire planet.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Would it make you happier if we all agreed that your opinion is 'right' and any alternative opinion is 'wrong'? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Would it make you happier if we all agreed that your opinion is 'right' and any alternative opinion is 'wrong'? 

Of course not. My opinion is ‘right’ for me and everybody else’s is ‘right’ for them.

My big concern is that this once-great country is going to the dogs. Too much political correctness and virtue signalling. Whatever happened to our famous stiff upper lips and ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’?

• Confused 1

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

Of course not. My opinion is ‘right’ for me and everybody else’s is ‘right’ for them.

My big concern is that this once-great country is going to the dogs. Too much political correctness and virtue signalling. Whatever happened to our famous stiff upper lips and ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’?

Stiff upper lips work excellently when it comes to dealing with mental health issues, famously.

14 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I was going to the game, yes, but I'm not sure what that's got to do with your inability to see that you and your grandson not going to the game ain't the end of the world. If he could meet you for the football, he could meet you to do something else - I'm struggling to understand why you can only meet up if there's football involved! Regardless, it's one round of football as a consequence of the death of a monarch after 70 years service. I stand by my point that the feet stamping of you and others is pathetic. 

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The death of the longest serving monarch is "no big deal" but you not being able to go to a little football match is, by contrast, a fucking massive deal you seem unable to cope with, or keep calm, or carry on.

By the way, your routine about how many rulers you've seen on a coin is the dictionary definition of virtue signalling, so jolly well done.

• Like 2

I know someone who came over especially from the States and had tickets at the Oval Thursday and Friday and one for Saints v Brentford today. Saved up for the sporting trip of a lifetime so, it isn’t just another match for some. A lot of dosh has been spunked up the wall because the PL were frightened of getting trolled by the grief police at the Mail       

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Postponing a round of football matches and the country is 'going to the dogs'. Jesus wept.

Yep, carry on as per if there has been a blip. The death of a monarch after 70 years service , however, warrants a unique response. Fortunately, the vast majority of people respect that...if that wasn't the case, then the country would be going to the dogs. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I know someone who came over especially from the States and had tickets at the Oval Thursday and Friday and one for Saints v Brentford today. Saved up for the sporting trip of a lifetime so, it isn’t just another match for some. A lot of dosh has been spunked up the wall because the PL were frightened of getting trolled by the grief police at the Mail       

Er, no, they missed out because on Thursday it rained all day then on Friday and Saturday a lot of things were cancelled because of the passing of The Queen.

You have some weird ways of looking at things sometimes. Even if the game had been played he/she still missed 2 days cricket.  That costs a hell of a lot more than a football match !

What a shame she couldn’t have hung on another four days to placate your mate !! FFS.

For a historian you have a rather contrary opinion on tradition and the total historical magnitude of what’s going on at present.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 3