Saints v Brentford - Postponed

ErwinK1961

21 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Just what we need, lets shut the economy down with no warning to anyone and make everyone have street parties!

Wonder if the (alleged) Prince Andrew is going to see Mummy.

If the game is played, I would like us to go for it:

---------Gav---------

KWP-ABK-Sali-Perraud

----AMN--Diallo----

S.A--Aribo--A.A

-----Adams-----

With Edozie and Mara ready to come on to bag our fourth and fifth...

He IS Prince Andrew. Nothing alleged about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure about calling off sporting events, better to let them go ahead and use them as a chance for fans to show their respects with a minutes silence. 

There's cricket on as well, can't really rearrange that 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Not sure about calling off sporting events, better to let them go ahead and use them as a chance for fans to show their respects with a minutes silence. 

There's cricket on as well, can't really rearrange that 

What about people that work for the sporting events that want to mourn with the rest of the country?

Why can’t the cricket be re-arranged they did it recently with India series.

11 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

What about people that work for the sporting events that want to mourn with the rest of the country?

Why can’t the cricket be re-arranged they did it recently with India series.

I say this as someone who likes The Queen , I don't think it would be disrespectful at all to continue, I think most clubs would actually do moving tributes (except for Celtic) , and staff / fans can pay their respects at the game. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Yep. Also there's a sickness bug going through Saints atm according to the Echo.

Weird coincidence this fixture was called off last season when they had some injuries and played the covid card 

23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Protocol stipulates that all sporting events are postponed for the period of mourning (10 days).

This will be announced as postponed tomorrow, as well as Villa next weekend (as this will be the state funeral weekend)

Good point, which means next Saints match isn't until 1st October against Everton. Hope we can fit in the rearrangements in before then, because that's one hell of a gap. Not sure why. No league cup fixtures until November either, surely there isn't usually such a long time between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

29 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Good point, which means next Saints match isn't until 1st October against Everton. Hope we can fit in the rearrangements in before then, because that's one hell of a gap. Not sure why. No league cup fixtures until November either, surely there isn't usually such a long time between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

It’s cos of the WC and European fixtures. These two games, assuming both postponed, might not be played now until Jan…! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Internationals League of Nations

5 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Scandalous decision to postpone the fixtures. Hope the Premier League refund my travel arrangements 

It's scandalous when fixtures are moved at late notice for TV with no regard for fans with significant costs for travel, hotels, etc.

It's not scandalous when this nation has just lost its long-reigning monarch - whether you're a royalist or not.

• Like 10

I thought this would have been announced straight away? Seems odd, as there will be people that have started travelling if they have not already. I would have thought it would be an obvious call, so perhaps tomorrows games go ahead and next weekend will be cancelled. 

They will probable leave the announcement to as late as possible. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

I have just seen tonight’s games are off in England and Scotland. 

Edited by Dr Who?

5 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

I thought this would have been announced straight away? Seems odd, as there will be people that have started travelling if they have not already. I would have thought it would be an obvious call, so perhaps tomorrows games go ahead and next weekend will be cancelled. 

They will probable leave the announcement to as late as possible. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

I have just seen tonight’s games are off in England and Scotland. 

They said yesterday that everything today is cancelled and they’ll make an announcement this morning on the weekend. Think everyone is expecting football to be cancelled though 

37 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

So we'll mourn just enough to cancel everything remotely fun - but you've still got to work the whole time.

Sounds about right for the way this country is going.

Alternatively, nothing sums up the way this country is going more than people taking someone’s death (a someone who has done nothing but serve this country for about 80 years - and I say that as a republican) as a “what’s in it for me” moment.

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Alternatively, nothing sums up the way this country is going more than people taking someone’s death (a someone who has done nothing but serve this country for about 80 years - and I say that as a republican) as a “what’s in it for me” moment.

Weird take on the death of a 96 year old woman born into greater privilege and standing than any of us could ever imagine. Sorry if I want to get on with my life and enjoy it - I’m not sure what cancelling entertainment and sport does for anyone. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Weird take on the death of a 96 year old woman born into greater privilege and standing than any of us could ever imagine. Sorry if I want to get on with my life and enjoy it - I’m not sure what cancelling entertainment and sport does for anyone. 

Taking some time to mourn someone who has given her life to serve others a problem for you? I’m sure you will find time to enjoy yourself doing other things whilst millions of others with do the respectful thing and give up a small part of their lives to honour someone so widely respected for the life she led and the example she set to others. It’s a shame it seems to have passed you by.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

That's subjective. I certainly wouldn't want her job. She gets literally 2-3 days off a year, even into her 90's. I mean proper days off where she can do as she pleases. Every minute of her life is pretty much dictated to her right down to when she can use the toilet most of the time. There's also no option to cancel any of her tasks unless she is very very ill.

Not to mention the fact that she has to be a certain way all the time. When her dad, mum and sister died (who she was extremely close to), she had to be 'told' how to grieve and what was too much or too little. Same with Charles, imagine finding out your mother is gravely ill, having to drop everything to be at her bedside - Much like most sons would but to also have cameras on you and then 24 hours later have to speak to the whole planet live about it.

She Queen has to change clothes 4-5 times a day. That may not seem like a big deal to you and me but imagine that as a 90 odd year old woman (and let's be honest, it is a bigger task for women than men) and she gets 0 say in what she wears.

The Senior Royals are born into standing, yes but privilege? I'm not convinced it actually is.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

So what is an appropriate response? Ignore it or as far as an ostenatious year of wearing black as in the Victorian era? Next weekend I'd agree with, and gives more time for arrangements to be made for many things, but this weekend go ahead with appropriate opportunities for the fans to pay their respects.

The BBC last night was like some totalitarian state: Radio 4, 3, 2 and Solent all with the same broadcast: goodness knows what the TV was like. Having rolling coverage with commentators trying to fill the gaps is one thing, but on _all_ channels? Nicholas Witchell is oleaginously obsequious at the best of times, but luckily my mum turned her telly off before it got too much.

Let people decide how and to what extent they pay their respects, but ultimately life goes on. I've been to far too many funerals in the last couple of years so I'm very familiar with those words from Ecclesiastes - "There is a time for everything". The funerals have ended up being celebrations of lives, whereas at the moment there seems to be a competition as to who can be the most sombre and respectful.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Taking some time to mourn someone who has given her life to serve others a problem for you? I’m sure you will find time to enjoy yourself doing other things whilst millions of others with do the respectful thing and give up a small part of their lives to honour someone so widely respected for the life she led and the example she set to others. It’s a shame it seems to have passed you by.

That's the thing though - it's a personal choice isn't it?  If someone feels that bad about it then they're perfectly at liberty to not do something.  I've no problem with that.  Anyone who doesn't want to mourn in a specific way shouldn't have to either.  Win, win.

Slightly related note, I'm not sure what exactly we're supposed to be doing whilst we mourn and not go to football matches etc.  Do we sit in silence thinking about the Queen?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

That's the thing though - it's a personal choice isn't it?  If someone feels that bad about it then they're perfectly at liberty to not do something.  I've no problem with that.  Anyone who doesn't want to mourn in a specific way shouldn't have to either.  Win, win.

Slightly related note, I'm not sure what exactly we're supposed to be doing whilst we mourn and not go to football matches etc.  Do we sit in silence thinking about the Queen?

If it's off I'll be going to the pub.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Scandalous decision to postpone the fixtures. Hope the Premier League refund my travel arrangements 

It would be scandalous to ignore it.

I'm not a royalist by any means, but this is an event that over 80% of the country have never lived through. You can't just ignore it and expect things to carry on as normal, it's probably one of if not the biggest news events a lot of us will ever live through.

As I said I'm not a royalist, but out of respect and in the tradition of this country and all it stands for then it's only right we follow the protocols set out (which were set out before all of us were even born)

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It would be scandalous to ignore it.

I'm not a royalist by any means, but this is an event that over 80% of the country have never lived through. You can't just ignore it and expect things to carry on as normal, it's probably one of if not the biggest news events a lot of us will ever live through.

As I said I'm not a royalist, but out of respect and in the tradition of this country and all it stands for then it's only right we follow the protocols set out (which were set out before all of us were even born)

Why is it a big news event though? The whole thing is mad!

And anyway, if people want to mourn then that's fine, but why force it on the rest of us?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Glad to see some people speaking sense on this thread. I find it utterly baffling that the fun police want to force us to put our lives on hold because a 96 year old woman died. And I'm not even a republican

From what I knew of her, it seems that that's the last thing she would have wanted tbf.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Brentford - Postponed
  • Lighthouse locked and unpinned this topic