Saints v Brentford - Postponed

ErwinK1961

Good win for Brentford today and the United game was another standout, but they also conceded 3 against Fulham the other week so we can get at them.

Said it after the Spurs game that if we bettered more than a point per game after the Brentford game then it will have been a decent start given our fixtures and bedding in a lot of new, young players. A win and we're well ahead of that target.

Can see a draw. 1-1

This is one of those games that we need to try out score them and not try to shut up the shop completely.

I honestly would start with 4 of the subs that came off the bench.

Off Moi, A Armstrong, Aribo and Diallo.

I’m hoping Ralph gets it right from the beginning as we can’t keep going a goal down.

• Like 1

I still have nightmares about Brentford away back in May, even Ralph mentioned it as "shit" at the fans forum, I worry about no Romeo/ Romeu as our midfield will get overrun, need to dig in and battle and actually take our chances when they come. 

V important game. Haven’t seen much of them this season but need to put them away. Confident now that CB pairing can look after Toney.

Same as last season please. Start Edozie they might not know what hit them.

Edited by whelk
  • Like 2

I actually feel more confident about this one than I did about Wolves. I always feel nervous going into games where a team haven't won in for ever, it's always set up for the inevitable.

I think we can cause Brentford problems, they are susceptible to conceding chances, as we showed last season in that 4-1 (although the GK they had then was borderline a fan)

We actually matched them last season and went 3-5-2, with Tella and Perraud at full back and it did work as we dragged them all over. The main take away from that game was our ability to break and break quickly, Diallo played slightly ahead of the two and you had the pace of Broja on the shoulder. They seemed to struggle with our energy and we sucked them in well.

Tempted to throw pace at them. It's certainly not the game for a one paced Elyounoussi.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

They’re scoring goals for fun, and seem to have it spot on, which seems to be what you always say about Brentford. Done amazingly well since they got promoted, will be a very tough game. 

Baz; KWP ABK Sali Perraud; Diallo JWP; Elyounoussi Aribo AArmstrong; Chele

Would you really play Elyounoussi ahead of Stuart Armstrong?     Much as I like Diallo, I can see Maitland-Niles starting ahead of him if he is match fit.     Glad you found a place for AA whoc continues to show up in that wide role though the spectre of Edozie now looms large over his place.

16 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Would you really play Elyounoussi ahead of Stuart Armstrong?     Much as I like Diallo, I can see Maitland-Niles starting ahead of him if he is match fit.     Glad you found a place for AA whoc continues to show up in that wide role though the spectre of Edozie now looms large over his place.

I'd agree, this is the wrong kind of game for Elyounoussi. We are going to be expected to be on the front foot here and he's not the player for that, someone like Stu has the legs to burst with the ball and open it up a bit more which we'll need.

Edioze is someone to have up our sleeve to replace Adam Armstrong as the game stretches, hopefully he can have the impact Broja did against their somewhat slow defence.

• Like 1

Well this won't be easy after we should've got a point at Wolves. Home should help but Brentford can score goals although their defence isn't perfect. 

Nevertheless they are another team we should be getting points from if we have any aspiration to keep clear of relegation battles this season. It'll be tough though.

Back 5 is settled. Bring in AMN next to JWP in midfield, play SArmstrong on the right from the start, Aribo central and AA on the left behind Adams. My stream was dodgy but we looked better when Stu came on.

Very cautiously going for a 1-1. Though this is a game we should win.

9 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

Can't see us outscoring them, can't see us scoring. 0-0.

I just don't see us keeping a clean sheet, will predict 2-1 Saints though because have to stay optimistic.

Let's have the atmosphere continue as it ended against Chelsea.

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

They’re scoring goals for fun, and seem to have it spot on, which seems to be what you always say about Brentford. Done amazingly well since they got promoted, will be a very tough game. 

They're a good side but Leeds defence was woeful yesterday - gave away some absolute gift goals.

Bazunu

KWP, Bella-Kotchap, Perraud

JWP, Diallo, Stu

Aribo, Che, AA

Should be a good game! 

Diallo was superb second half against Chelsea so I think it's ridiculous to take him out again after 1 poor game, needs a run of games. Wouldn't be surprised to see Maitland-Niles start in midfield too though with JWP and Diallo.

Norgaard is out for them. 

12 minutes ago, Ldnsaint said:

Bazunu

KWP, Bella-Kotchap, Perraud

JWP, Diallo, Stu

Aribo, Che, AA

Should be a good game! 

Diallo was superb second half against Chelsea so I think it's ridiculous to take him out again after 1 poor game, needs a run of games. Wouldn't be surprised to see Maitland-Niles start in midfield too though with JWP and Diallo.

Norgaard is out for them. 

I know ABK is good, but not sure he’s that good 😉

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

spacer.png

Wouldn't be particularly opposed to Adam Armstrong again with Edozie getting minutes off the bench, but I just hope not to see Elyounoussi & Diallo in the team. Would also be fine with Djenepo at LB.

Agree with this completely…very competitive with JWP and AMN providing experience in central positions to boss midfield. Can’t see Ralph going for it though sadly.

We need to start playing on the front foot from the start. Drop the risky Salisu long throws which just don’t work…ever.  For me this is must win game…not because it will threaten the our survival as such, but to boost morale and help seal spirit within the squad. This is a big test for Ralph and his coaches more than the players and a game we really should win comfortably. The problem is in the scoring, so need to work hard on that as a priority.

I’m going with 2-1 Saints.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 2

They are a very good side with some dangerous players - lots of respect to them and great to see them up in the Premier League.

I think we will win this.  New signings bedded in, a full week off and at home.  We need to bring Endozie into the side and probably AMN

I'd go with the graphic shared a few times further up.

One thing though, we need to tighten up and start getting the odd clean sheet

8 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

spacer.png

Wouldn't be particularly opposed to Adam Armstrong again with Edozie getting minutes off the bench, but I just hope not to see Elyounoussi & Diallo in the team. Would also be fine with Djenepo at LB.

You want Adams in goal??

Well it's worth a go i suppose.

14 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

I want us to play ABK and DCC at the back and Lyanco and Salisu up front

I have been drinking

Imagine having all four of them attacking JWP's corners

It's criminal how few corners we score from given who's taking them

And how about having those four defending corners

I am still drinking

4 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

Imagine having all four of them attacking JWP's corners

It's criminal how few corners we score from given who's taking them

And how about having those four defending corners

I am still drinking

And still talking more sense than half the posters on here do when sober.

• Haha 1

Defensively Brentford are poor so definitely goals in this. Notice Brentford took advantage of pressing and making mistakes in their last game (inc a soft pen if that's a handball compared to our man utd effort). If we don't do anything silly and play like we have the last 3.5 games I'm going for a classic 3-1 win.

An ambitious line up that offers so much excitement.

Bazuma

Larios  DCC Bella Salisu KWP

JWP Maitland-Niles

Stuey       Edozie 

Mara 

Larios and KWP bomb those flanks every time while Stuart Armstrong has a licence to thrill with Edozie.

55 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

An ambitious line up that offers so much excitement.

Bazuma

Larios  DCC Bella Salisu KWP

JWP Maitland-Niles

Stuey       Edozie 

Mara 

Larios and KWP bomb those flanks every time while Stuart Armstrong has a licence to thrill with Edozie.

All well and good, but why play both wing backs on their wrong sides. Or are you a Ralph disciple? Just asking.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

All well and good, but why play both wing backs on their wrong sides. Or are you a Ralph disciple? Just asking.

So they are but cutting in is useful especially when true wingers can hit the flanks.

I’m actually looking forward to our new Manchester City defender as the other 3 haven't disappointed.

PS the more and more games that go on the more I’m beginning to realise that Ralph’s management set up and tactics are holding us back.

Look at the Man Utd boss, he’s got them flying again plus Potter and Frank get the best out of Brentford and Brighton. With the ambitions of our board I think they are demanding more from Ralph and it could be a matter of time before he’s gone. IMHO!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

So they are but cutting in is useful especially when true wingers can hit the flanks.

I’m actually looking forward to our new Manchester City defender as the other 3 haven't disappointed.

PS the more and more games that go on the more I’m beginning to realise that Ralph’s management set up and tactics are holding us back.

Look at the Man Utd boss, he’s got them flying again plus Potter and Frank get the best out of Brentford and Brighton. With the ambitions of our board I think they are demanding more from Ralph and it could be a matter of time before he’s gone. IMHO!

He is a very stubborn man, that’s for sure. Even now, with the options available to him, his starting eleven baffles me.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I think if Man U had our attacking players I doubt they would be flying I think Man U  have spent 150m or so on two attacking players recently whilst we spent about 10m on Airibo and Mara

It is the quality of our attacking players that is holding us back

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gingeletiss said:

He is a very stubborn man, that’s for sure. Even now, with the options available to him, his starting eleven baffles me.

It baffles me that so called supporters continually undermine the manager who has a difficult job with so many young and inexperienced players and very little in the quality of attacking players.

It is not as though we have standout attacking players sometimes they are OK sometimes they are not

Whats more it is not an eleven aside game anymore as he has the manage the use of substitutes so that the team is able to function fully over the whole 90 mins.

he no doubts know what players are fully fit and and can play the whole game and those that cannot

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, John B said:

It baffles me that so called supporters continually undermine the manager who has a difficult job with so many young and inexperienced players and very little in the quality of attacking players.

It is not as though we have standout attacking players sometimes they are OK sometimes they are not

Whats more it is not an eleven aside game anymore as he has the manage the use of substitutes so that the team is able to function fully over the whole 90 mins.

he no doubts know what players are fully fit and and can play the whole game and those that cannot

So, you think that Moi Elyounoussi deserves to start every game?  For me, he isn’t even in the top 15 of this squad. But opinions eh! We all have them. Just to add, I have supported Saints for over 60 years, so don’t question my loyalty.

Edited by Gingeletiss
  • Like 1

The two performances against them last season couldn't have been more polar opposite really, so hard to know what to expect. They're a decent team who have a clear identity and system whereas we're still very much a work in progress. They can certainly be got at though. 

We've got a relatively nice run at home now until March (only Arsenal of the 'big 6') so plenty of opportunities to get points, starting here. 

I'd be surprised if Edozie starts just yet but certainly a great option to come off the bench in the second half. 

This is one of only two Category D games this season, decent ticket prices and Saturday 3pm kick off, still quite a few available but guess we don't have the Leeds / Man Utd / Chelsea fans in the home end this time so relying on more Saints fans to come along. 

On 04/09/2022 at 09:35, Saint Garrett said:

Let’s hope Rasmus and his boys can find us the new Ivan Toney, he’s be perfect for us and scored 5 this season already 

• Like 2

Difficult one to call but think we'll get at least a point. We seem to have a much tighter defence this season with the developing partnership of ABK and Salisu. This area needed to be addressed and we've certainly made progress from what we've seen in the early part of the season. However, without a more potent attack I can see us losing a lot of games 1-0. That's already happened in 2 out of 6 games so far. I don't see us keeping many clean sheets and unless we start taking our chances one nil defeats could become a bit of a trend. I like what we've done in terms of the transfer window and there are many positives. Just hope we can find a way to score more goals as this is going to be the key in my opinion and many others seem to agree.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Brentford - Postponed
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
  • Lighthouse locked and unpinned this topic