Saints v Brentford - Postponed

ErwinK1961

'Tis a strange one - would have been nice to go along and no doubt stand shoulder to shoulder with fellow subjects paying our respects, before watching a game of footie. The Queen was the embodiment of "Keep Calm and Carry On". If there was a horse race to be seen on TV yesterday afternoon as the end drew near, she would have been telling the family to get out of the way and shut up. With the Monarchy being about continuity she would probably questioned the postponement herself. 

70 years in the job is something none of us nor our descendants will ever see again: it truly is remarkable. Whatever your view, she was the one constant in all of our lives, with there now being a hole of sorts the next few days are going to be rather strange, and as we are seeing on here throwing up many differing views.   

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The British love nothing better than a good “mourn”. Stupid decision which will inconvenience many not to mention put a lot out of pocket. And what good will it do? Not surprised however the PL not one to put there head above the parapet and take on the likes of the Daily Mail. 
It never happened in 1952 so why now? 

The Queen did a fantastic job and I salute her service to the country but I just don’t see why a game of football can’t be played. The crowd could have paid their respects in public by having a minutes silence which would have been impeccably observed I reckon. 

Agree

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The British love nothing better than a good “mourn”. Stupid decision which will inconvenience many not to mention put a lot out of pocket. And what good will it do? Not surprised however the PL not one to put there head above the parapet and take on the likes of the Daily Mail. 
It never happened in 1952 so why now? 

The Queen did a fantastic job and I salute her service to the country but I just don’t see why a game of football can’t be played. The crowd could have paid their respects in public by having a minutes silence which would have been impeccably observed I reckon. 

Agree just seems unnecessary to me

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Weird take on the death of a 96 year old woman born into greater privilege and standing than any of us could ever imagine. Sorry if I want to get on with my life and enjoy it - I’m not sure what cancelling entertainment and sport does for anyone. 

Then there is no hope for you and those like you, that for one or possibly two weekends, sport takes a back seat whilst the respectful and unselfish amongst us mourn our Queen. Of all the on-line sites I have been on this morning, this is the only one with negative and nasty comments. I thought Saints fans were better than that. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Non league rely on gate money to survive , changing a weekend game to mid week will cost them , unnecessary to for their games to be called off at such short notice .

Totally. Southern League and below should carry on.

• Like 1

Just now, Sarnia Cherie said:

Then there is no hope for you and those like you, that for one or possibly two weekends, sport takes a back seat whilst the respectful and unselfish amongst us mourn our Queen. Of all the on-line sites I have been on this morning, this is the only one with negative and nasty comments. I thought Saints fans were better than that. 

Nonsense. We are made of harder stuff. If this weekend is cancelled then it is a certainty that next weekend will be cancelled too. The day of the funeral is enough of itself. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

We apparently have to cancel football but not live music? If I go to the 2 gigs I have booked this weekend is that selfish and disrespectful or should I sit at home instead?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

We apparently have to cancel football but not live music? If I go to the 2 gigs I have booked this weekend is that selfish and disrespectful or should I sit at home instead?

Of course you should stay at home. Better still, buy yourself a hair shirt on Ebay before they sell out and sit in the front garden flagellating yourself instead. Don't choose the back garden because nobody will see your act of respect remembrance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

This is what annoys me the most, that one group of people feels it can impose its values on everyone else

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

I think we just live on different planets to each other, I’m afraid. 

I don’t see the correlation between mourning The Queen and playing footy, as mentioned before, there weren’t cancellations for the death of the previous monarch. 

And it’s very reductive to assume that “sport taking a back seat” doesn’t have negative ramifications for people. Food banks rely heavily on donations from games. Thousands of agency and zero-hour staff now won’t have work which they had planned for. Plus, what’s the point in living if we can’t do the things we enjoy? We can all pay our respects at the game / her funeral, but to force it upon people leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

A decision that would inevitably give rise to polarised opinions. 

I'm not a fan of labelling people as this, that or the other, but being a "Royalist" I'm happy with the decision to uphold the 'old fashioned' protocols and traditions associated with the death of the monarch, as illogical or irrational as they may be. 

That said, if they had decided to go ahead with the games, that would've have been fine by me too.

If that makes me more of a pragmatist than most, then so be it. I can think of more important things to get upset or annoyed about than whether or not a game of football goes ahead, but respect that others have alternative takes on it. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 11

13 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

This is more your speed.

I mean, what the fuck is that all about?

• Sad 1

Obviously a lot or republicans on here and true to form putting their own self interest above the interest of the nation as a whole. Thank goodness there are people at the top of football who understand that some things are far more important to the nation than twenty two blokes / women chasing a ball around aimlessly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

Obviously a lot or republicans on here and true to form putting their own self interest above the interest of the nation as a whole. Thank goodness there are people at the top of football who understand that some things are far more important to the nation than twenty two blokes / women chasing a ball around aimlessly.

What is important about sitting at home, twiddling thumbs and watching the same shit on repeat for 10 days - rather than celebrating her life in a group setting?

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Unless you knew her personally then what is their to mourn exactly? There 60 million plus people in this country, hundreds of them die every day and that is sad for them and for their loved ones, and I'd also imagine a lot of them have had a lot harder lives, with a lot less wealth and privilege than the Queen had, but the world doesn't stop for them. 

Don't see why this should impact stuff like this, millions of people have no interest in the monarchy at all and many others are actively opposed to it, but it's apparently fine for their lives to be impacted by this? 

Its faux patriotic nonsense, I have nothing against the woman she seemed pretty decent and tried to do her best in the role but beyond that I am completely indifferent to it, yet we are expect to 'mourn' someone I don't know, have no personal connection to and has very little relevance to people's lives.

We are in the middle of a cost of living crisis, people are struggling to feed their families and heat their homes, the NHS is failing, inflation is going through the roof, there is a war going on in Ukraine, far more important things are happening in this country right now that should be talked about and should have action. Yet none of them cancelled sport or similar events and none will get as much coverage as this. 

If anything IMO the reaction to this highlights what is wrong with this country and why its going down the pan, many of our people, leaders, media etc. are more interested in a 96 year old woman dying than the real issues going on. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Unless you knew her personally then what is their to mourn exactly? There 60 million plus people in this country, hundreds of them die every day and that is sad for them and for their loved ones, and I'd also imagine a lot of them have had a lot harder lives, with a lot less wealth and privilege than the Queen had, but the world doesn't stop for them. 

Don't see why this should impact stuff like this, millions of people have no interest in the monarchy at all and many others are actively opposed to it, but it's apparently fine for their lives to be impacted by this? 

Its faux patriotic nonsense, I have nothing against the woman she seemed pretty decent and tried to do her best in the role but beyond that I am completely indifferent to it, yet we are expect to 'mourn' someone I don't know, have no personal connection to and has very little relevance to people's lives.

We are in the middle of a cost of living crisis, people are struggling to feed their families and heat their homes, the NHS is failing, inflation is going through the roof, there is a war going on in Ukraine, far more important things are happening in this country right now that should be talked about and should have action. Yet none of them cancelled sport or similar events and none will get as much coverage as this. 

If anything IMO the reaction to this highlights what is wrong with this country and why its going down the pan, many of our people, leaders, media etc. are more interested in a 96 year old woman dying than the real issues going on. 

Well said. Did any of the Royal Family mourn when my mother died last year aged 101?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Please explain to me in simple terms in what way these postponements serve 'the interest of the nation as a whole' ?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Not very good or funny.

Wasn’t really supposed to be a joke. If you’re going to cancel random stuff not connected to the royal family and say it’s a mark of respect just because we said so, then at least cancel something that everyone would appreciate, not something everyone enjoys.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

It's scandalous when fixtures are moved at late notice for TV with no regard for fans with significant costs for travel, hotels, etc.

It's not scandalous when this nation has just lost its long-reigning monarch - whether you're a royalist or not.

It's a massively OTT reaction to cancel everything and to inconvenience people like this. It would have been far more respectful for us to come together, every Premier League team, and indeed every English team, and show their respects, it would have been a poignant moment.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Actually, it's incredibly selfish of you to suggest that the only way you can mourn and is to therefore inconvenience people. As said above, what a moment St Mary's would have been tomorrow to see everyone show their respects. It won't be the same to do so at a later date.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

I'm done mourning, can I have my football back please.

Ludicrous decision really. What exactly are we supposed to do. Sit at home for 10 days crying about a woman most of us never met? 

If some people want to mourn then so be it but why force it on people?

Is there really nothing else in your life other than football? Nobody is 'forcing' you to sit at home and mourn.

• Like 2

I can see why - especially in the light of government sitting on the fence and giving no guidance and the brand worried about being seen as disrespectful. I however agree that games should have gone on and would have been a lovely chance to come together for those that felt that need. There likely would have been enough (and some in high places) making noise about disrespect, and could have turned sour the decision to play.

Grassroots following suit now. Surely children could still play, are they supposed to sit at home and reflect?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

The rugby's going ahead, so's the Great North Run and the St Leger... but football? No, you can rely on the FA to misread the room. Even MPs in the House of Commons have been celebrating her life as well as mourning her passing - football should be doing the same. 

Great North is off too-oops seems it’s now on 

Edited by Give it to Ron
Website was wrong

4 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

It's almost like you can choose whether you watch something... if you don't want to watch it, you don't have to.

What about the players? What if they do not want to play? I would have preferred the games to go ahead, and I’m glad the Hampshire game did not finish today. 

Respect for what exactly ? A family who supported and knighted the likes of Jimmy Jimmy Savile, Lord Mountbatten and Prince Andrew...

All were either prolific child abusers or procurers of children for the Elite and establishment.

But no let's sweep that under the carpet and get the best China out.... 

People need a reality check bunch of wronguns the whole lot need investigating..... 

2 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

What about the players? What if they do not want to play? I would have preferred the games to go ahead, and I’m glad the Hampshire game did not finish today. 

They're contracted to play football - and I'm not convinced many of that demographic feel quite that strongly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

The Great North run cancelled. No bearing on the footy, but still - what the fuck? 

Mourning > charity?

Our local running group got slaughtered for having their run night last night as normal. 🤷🏽 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

They're contracted to play football - and I'm not convinced many of that demographic feel quite that strongly

Is anyone? 

It's sad a famous old lady has died. But beyond her friends and family etc. Are there actually normal people on the street who've never her, so upset that they need 10 days to grieve?

Edited by OttawaSaint