Saints v Brentford - Postponed

ErwinK1961

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Is anyone? 

It's sad a famous old lady has died. But beyond her friends and family etc. Is there actually normal people on the street who've never mer, so upset that they need 10 days to grieve?

A few things:

The royal family are part of the establishment elite.

The rules for this are older than ERII, may she rest in peace.

She was the head of state. 

Join on the bandwagon, you don’t want to be left behind. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

A few things:

The royal family are part of the establishment elite.

The rules for this are older than ERII, may she rest in peace.

She was the head of state. 

Join on the bandwagon, you don’t want to be left behind. 

We're not even sure if we'll get a day off here. Just waiting for Trudeau to see if he can get it to coincide with him jetting off to do rich boy things at a retreat somewhere...

I’m a life long republican and believe the FA made the wrong decision, particularly with regard to further down the pyramid. That said, they didn’t have much time to make a decision, and the fact it happened on a Thursday evening probably didn’t help their thought process. Had it been a Monday or Tuesday they could have taken stock and more time to come to a better decision. 

I do think some people on here are in danger of crossing a line, and a couple of the comments are unfortunate. She was our head of state for 70 years, died as our head of state, and her funeral and period of mourning should reflect that. She wasn’t just some old granny that 99.9% of the population never met. 

• Like 15
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

The rugby's going ahead, so's the Great North Run and the St Leger... but football? No, you can rely on the FA to misread the room. Even MPs in the House of Commons have been celebrating her life as well as mourning her passing - football should be doing the same. 

The test match resumes on Saturday as well. Football is the outlier here, and most fans think they're got it wrong. 

• Like 2

I don’t have any problem on cancelling football on the day of the funeral, that seems like common sense. Cancelling tomorrow seems misguided. As has been said it would have been an opportunity for people to come together and participate in what I can only believe would be impeccably observed minutes of silence. That in itself would have been a massive spectacle. Not a great decision, carrying on playing football does not show disrespect.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

They've even called off local kids games which is just bizarre.

On the other hand, live music is still going ahead so get yourself down Heartbreakers tomorrow night for the Japanese Television gig.

Cricket and Rugby have confirmed they are playing as normal this weekend, football has overreacted probably wondering is it too late to change our minds 

41 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’m a life long republican and believe the FA made the wrong decision, particularly with regard to further down the pyramid. That said, they didn’t have much time to make a decision, and the fact it happened on a Thursday evening probably didn’t help their thought process. Had it been a Monday or Tuesday they could have taken stock and more time to come to a better decision. 

I do think some people on here are in danger of crossing a line, and a couple of the comments are unfortunate. She was our head of state for 70 years, died as our head of state, and her funeral and period of mourning should reflect that. She wasn’t just some old granny that 99.9% of the population never met. 

We don’t agree on much but I agree with the comments at the end of your post. This is a huge moment in history whether a monarchist or Republican and a football match pales into insignificance beside it. There is nothing stopping fans showing their appreciation of the Queen at the next match so how is it a missed opportunity? People are entitled to show their respect in whatever way they like. If the people running football want to show respect by postponing matches that is their right. If other sports wants to go ahead that is their right too. Time to put our big boy pants on and find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon rather than whinge about a major historical event getting in the way of a bunch of blokes kicking a bag of wind about. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Hundreds of thousands could have been able to pay their respects in public by attending these matches. Now they will not have such an opportunity.

Football supporters federation making exactly that point 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jamesfp1 said:

PL have overreacted and missed an opportunity get people to gather and mark their respects.

They must be realising that now that every other sport has come out and said they will play as normal tomorrow, rugby, cricket , golf etc , theatres open as normal, in fact has anything other than football stopped? 

Shouldnt be surprised when it's the FA virtue signalling PR people making the decisions , if other sports had confirmed earlier they would play then I think football would have as well . 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

We don’t agree on much but I agree with the comments at the end of your post. This is a huge moment in history whether a monarchist or Republican and a football match pales into insignificance beside it. There is nothing stopping fans showing their appreciation of the Queen at the next match so how is it a missed opportunity? People are entitled to show their respect in whatever way they like. If the people running football want to show respect by postponing matches that is their right. If other sports wants to go ahead that is their right too. Time to put our big boy pants on and find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon rather than whinge about a major historical event getting in the way of a bunch of blokes kicking a bag of wind about. 

You’re basically saying, it’s your way that’s the only right way to mourn. Which is pretty arrogant really, though I guess unsurprising.

The tone set by the RFU in stating rugby games would go ahead was pretty much spot on. A dignified continuation and a chance for fans around the country to show their respects together. Football has misjudged the mood by siding with a minority of hand wringers who think cancelling everything is the only respectful course of action. Almost all other major sports have said they’ll continue tomorrow, which kind of shows how misguided football has been.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

That is probably not going to be until the beginning of October, two weeks after the funeral. It won't mean the same by then.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

You’re basically saying, it’s your way that’s the only right way to mourn

Isn't everyone with an opinion one way or the other saying this? (Hence why most debates of this nature are ultimately futile)

Edited by trousers

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Isn't everyone with an opinion one way or the other saying this? (Hence why most debates of this nature are ultimately futile)

No, because nobody is being forced into attending any sporting events. If you feel this is inappropriate, you’re well within your rights to sit at home and mourn as you see fit. I suspect however that the majority wouldn’t not have done this. I believe the majority of football matches would have been very well attended and relatively few people would have stayed away due to their own grief and sense of respect.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Nothing is happening this weekend though so it’s not clashing with a major historical event. Cancelling the matches is a gesture, nothing more than that, and instead of going to the football most people will do something different that doesn’t better reflect any sense of grief.

There simply isn’t a compelling reason to cancel the games. 

• Like 6

I feel a genuine sadness for the loss of the Queen. There was no better barometer of right and wrong and her extraordinary sense of duty meant she was still working two days before her death. I do find it extraordinary though that the Premier League have cancelled football. Football brings people together and would have been an opportunity for supporters to express their gratitude at the ground. I really don't think that the Queen would have agreed with it and I would go as far as to say she would have been cross that the St Leger was moved to Sunday. 

• Like 3

Have to say I am pretty fucked off by the postponement.

I had genuine admiration and respect for The Queen: a truly honourable and great Briton. I am honestly saddened by her passing.

For the FA to cancel football, The People's Game, and an activity many people love and 'live for', and look forward to all week, is a totally shit decision. Bring people together, have a minutes silence, sing the National Anthem, remember The Queen with fondness, play the matches. Enjoy life.

Rugby has it right.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Hundreds of thousands could have been able to pay their respects in public by attending these matches. Now they will not have such an opportunity.

Exactly.

The youth team I coach were going to mark her passing with a minutes silence before the game, that would've meant more to those players than the damn match being cancelled.  Terrible decision. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Have to say I am pretty fucked off by the postponement.

I had genuine admiration and respect for The Queen: a truly honourable and great Briton. I am honestly saddened by her passing.

For the FA to cancel football, The People's Game, and an activity many people love and 'live for', and look forward to all week, is a totally shit decision. Bring people together, have a minutes silence, sing the National Anthem, remember The Queen with fondness, play the matches. Enjoy life.

Rugby has it right.

exactly this. such a knee-jerk  national fetish for 'grieving' being all about being sad and morose rather than celebrating a life. Pathetic really.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

RESPECT. You should try it sometime.

Are we respecting her rule over dominions like Canada where genocide and oppression of First Nations groups has ensured? Or are we not allowed to discuss those subjects because they don’t garner respect?

People don’t have to show respect in the same way you do and it’s perfectly acceptable to question things without it being disrespectful. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

RESPECT. You should try it sometime.

I had respect for Queen Elizabeth II in terms of her commitment to adapting the Monarchy in a changing World, despite thinking that the Establishment has long since passed it's "sell by date". And nobody could fail to have been moved by the images of her sitting alone at Prince Philip's funeral, ( except perhaps Boris Johnson ) However, I see no point in the Nation being consumed in imposed faux grief and hand wringing.

The football authorities have got this one totally wrong.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

The test match resumes on Saturday as well. Football is the outlier here, and most fans think they're got it wrong. 

Prince William is the president of the FA and that's the biggest reason for the decision to postpone all the way down the pyramid.

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Feels like we’re being forced to mourn the queen, rather than going about life as normal and showing respect together, as a country, as a fan base, as a community/a city. 

That's the worse post I've read in a while, well done 👏 ✔️ 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Agree with the above everyone is entitled to own opinion. I personally couldn't give a damm about the Royal family... 

Neither could I, but whether you (or I) like it, she’s the head of state. Personally I think the games should have gone ahead,  but there’s absolutely no need for some of the disrespectful comments on here. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

But cancelling football forces everyone to mourn the same way. If football goes ahead, then people can choose to go or not go

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

No, because nobody is being forced into attending any sporting events. If you feel this is inappropriate, you’re well within your rights to sit at home and mourn as you see fit. I suspect however that the majority wouldn’t not have done this. I believe the majority of football matches would have been very well attended and relatively few people would have stayed away due to their own grief and sense of respect.

Fair points.