Saints v Brentford - Postponed

ErwinK1961

On 03/09/2022 at 23:44, ErwinK1961 said:

Going to need a big performance, Brentford looking very very good at the minute.

Bazunu, KWP, Salisu, ABK, Perraud, JWP, AMN, Aribo, S Armstrong, Che, Mara.

Subs: McCarthy, Djenepo, Larios, DCC, Diallo, Edozie, A Armstrong, Moi, Ballard.

For me i dont think that A Armstrong deserves to be dropped just yet. I'd go this;
Bazunu, KWP, ABK, Salisu, Perraud, AMN, JWP, Stuey, Aribo, Che, Arma.

Subs, Macca, Larios, Lyanco, DCC, Djenepo, Diallo, Mara, Edozie, Ely.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Endozie has to start, surely?

I would have him in for Mo, who has looked average at best as an attacking force

Think it depends on the defensive side of the game too, especially playing in front of Djenepo. Personally I see him as an option off the bench. Elyounoussi offers much more defensively. Likewise AArmstrong. 

• Like 1

Can anyone justify the starting of Mo over Stu? Bar 45 mins v Chelsea, Mo has been desperately average and numerous times his wayward passing has opened us up when our defence has been most exposed. The Wolves goal Saturday came from him giving the ball away, again. Has good performances in him, but nowhere near this level and our record with Stu vs without speaks for itself.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Think it depends on the defensive side of the game too, especially playing in front of Djenepo. Personally I see him as an option off the bench. Elyounoussi offers much more defensively. Likewise AArmstrong. 

If you look at the highlights reel you will see Wolves were putting 2 if not 3 players on him and yet he still broke through.

Starting him straight away will have the opposition on the back foot as they wouldn’t want to leave too many gaps at the back.

I personally think this will allow us to control the tempo of the game allowing us to take the game to them. I can also see why they wanted Gazpo so much as it would offer us two exciting attacking flanks.

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

So, you think that Moi Elyounoussi deserves to start every game?  For me, he isn’t even in the top 15 of this squad. But opinions eh! We all have them. Just to add, I have supported Saints for over 60 years, so don’t question my loyalty.

I have been supporting the Saints for over 60 years but unlike you I do not whinge

I just accept that the manager knows more than I do about what tactics he wants to use and what players are best suited to it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Looks like at least Thomas Frank may be a bit unsettled for our match as reports suggest Leicester want him to replace Rodgers, who in turn fancies the Villa job, armed with his 10-15m compo. Merry go round! May help us, or hinder if Frank declares undying loyalty before kick off...

2 hours ago, John B said:

I have been supporting the Saints for over 60 years but unlike you I do not whinge

I just accept that the manager knows more than I do about what tactics he wants to use and what players are best suited to it.

Two old cock birds squaring up .. love it 😄

On 06/09/2022 at 07:28, saintscottofthenortham said:

Can anyone justify the starting of Mo over Stu? Bar 45 mins v Chelsea, Mo has been desperately average and numerous times his wayward passing has opened us up when our defence has been most exposed. The Wolves goal Saturday came from him giving the ball away, again. Has good performances in him, but nowhere near this level and our record with Stu vs without speaks for itself.

Depends on the tactics. Nowadays it is no longer the case that we start our best XI. With 5 subs it seems to be Ralph's plan to keep it tight for 45-60 and then bring on our better midfield attackers to have a go at tiring defenders. To me Moi is more solid defensively than Stu or Jo, while still providing some offensive threat. But maybe Ralph will see Brentford more of a team that we can have a go at early doors. I'm not a fan of 5 subs, but it is fascinating how it has seemingly changed tactical thinking for many teams.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, trousers said:

Who's this lad that features in several of the training photos that the club has just posted? I intitally thought it was Ballard but not sure now.

image.thumb.png.40115cd14a6d5599d8efd7aef48087a8.png

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah pretty sure it is Ballard

4 hours ago, hippo said:

Cameron Bragg, Centre-mid. 

Yep, looks more like Bragg based on his OS mugshot...

image.png.ad6fcb9d1f5136893a5d1dd2bb5351b5.png

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

JWP struggling this week apparently...

Which would probably explain Bragg training with the first team....? Seems a bit odd otherwise, as I don't recall Bragg's name coming up before in terms of academy players that are on the fringe of the first team...

Thought Ryan Finnigan was rated as a midfield prospect - made his first team debut against Shrewsbury in the FA Cup in 2021.

And Jack Turner is supposed to be decent.

Never heard anything about Bragg.

Lewis Payne, also training with the first team, can play in midfield too FWIW.

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Thought Ryan Finnigan was rated as a midfield prospect - made his first team debut against Shrewsbury in the FA Cup in 2021.

And Jack Turner is supposed to be decent.

Never heard anything about Bragg.

Lewis Payne, also training with the first team, can play in midfield too FWIW.

I think Finnigan did himself a nasty injury in pre-season. 

41 minutes ago, JRM said:

It's family fun day on Saturday, junior members with £1 tickets so probably more youngsters there than  usual, got to win now Ralph, don't want to let the nippers down 

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/21120196.southampton-fc-hosting-family-fun-day-ahead-brentford-game/?ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

There was only a handful of tickets left a few days ago, so proving popular - as you say, big performance needed maybe to swing some kids back from the ‘Big 6…or 7’ after recent tough seasons

2 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

There was only a handful of tickets left a few days ago, so proving popular - as you say, big performance needed maybe to swing some kids back from the ‘Big 6…or 7’ after recent tough seasons

I imagine there'll be a few away fans, seen a couple of posts on their forum saying how they'll be sitting in the Northam home end

7 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Prowsey was out for three games around this time last season after he got sent off, and IIRC we got a couple of wins. Not the be all and end all.

Yep, although back then we had two midfield players to fall-back on who had been in the squad together for over a year (Romeu & Diallo). If JWP is out on Saturday then we'll be relying on a fairly green midfield partnership.

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Yep, although back then we had two midfield players to fall-back on who had been in the squad together for over a year (Romeu & Diallo). If JWP is out on Saturday then we'll be relying on a fairly green midfield partnership.

Yeah. Think I'd have more confidence if Lavia wasn't out as well.

On 07/09/2022 at 09:54, Pamplemousse said:

I'll be honest, I thought they'd suffer second season syndrome but seemingly not

they are absolutely flying at the moment. They took us apart at the end of last season too, so are going to be very confident. They seem to score goals both from slow and fast build ups. This feels like a very tough encounter to me. We'll really need to get our tactics right. 

I'm guessing if The Queen dies in the next two days, it'll be off?

I'm no Royalist but how anyone can not love and respect this particular monarch is utterly incredible. She still works full time despite being 96 and whether you agree with the work she does or not, that's irrelevant, I wouldn't be able to do it and I'm meant to be in the prime of my life. Absolutely amazing woman.

• Like 6

If she passes today or tomorrow, the weekend sport will be off, no doubt but what happens if she passes say Monday? Will the following weekend go ahead? Or is it a set time that they're stopped for?

I know there's a period of National mourning but does sport just run along with that?

38 minutes ago, Danbert said:

A 96-year-old woman is ill, so obviously they'll have to call off the football

It’s not just any old 96 year old is it despite what you and I think it’s what Royal family , FA/Prem teams and Government decide.

Coupled with transport issues and country mourning along with thousands to Buck House my money is it will be off .

Edited by Give it to Ron

32 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

It’s not just any old 96 year old is it despite what you and I think it’s what Royal family , FA/Prem teams and Government decide.

Coupled with transport issues and country mourning along with thousands to Buck House my money is it will be off .

It isn't worth getting involved at this time with this kind of thing. Probably one of these people that thinks all their taxes go to the Royal Family and the The Queen can just do what she wants, when she wants with it and has a "free life" or something.

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I wonder if the games on Saturday will still go ahead if the situation remains this way. Obviously if she does pass, they'll be called off no question but if she's still just "quite ill" I wonder what happens.

Think will go ahead but not sure it will get that far going by BBC

Good grief, calling off matches would be ludicrous. Yes she was a good queen, but 96 is a very good innings. If she had been murdered by terrorists at age 40 definitely call all matches off and start the mourning. 

1 minute silence, play the football, and spend the week celebrating her record reign and achievements. 

• Like 2

"The passing of the Queen would start a period of mourning across the United Kingdom, as detailed in a document called “Operation London Bridge”.

As part of that plan, which is set out for the nine days following the monarch’s death, sports fixtures would indeed be postponed.

Various other events would also be cancelled, while the Stock Exchange would close, and Parliament would hastily reconvene if not in session."

Hold out til the international break, Liz.

• Like 1

I know that this isn't proper to say at this time BUT for all the people moaning that the game would be called off, it WOULD give Lavia more recovery time and the new signings more time to bed themselves in.

Nothing about this is good but if you're going to consider the negative ramifications of the football being cancelled, it's only right to point out that there are positives to that particular outcome.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

"The passing of the Queen would start a period of mourning across the United Kingdom, as detailed in a document called “Operation London Bridge”.

As part of that plan, which is set out for the nine days following the monarch’s death, sports fixtures would indeed be postponed.

Various other events would also be cancelled, while the Stock Exchange would close, and Parliament would hastily reconvene if not in session."

Hold out til the international break, Liz.

Just what we need, lets shut the economy down with no warning to anyone and make everyone have street parties!

Wonder if the (alleged) Prince Andrew is going to see Mummy.

If the game is played, I would like us to go for it:

---------Gav---------

KWP-ABK-Sali-Perraud

----AMN--Diallo----

S.A--Aribo--A.A

-----Adams-----

With Edozie and Mara ready to come on to bag our fourth and fifth...

16 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Just what we need, lets shut the economy down with no warning to anyone and make everyone have street parties!

Wonder if the (alleged) Prince Andrew is going to see Mummy.

If the game is played, I would like us to go for it:

---------Gav---------

KWP-ABK-Sali-Perraud

----AMN--Diallo----

S.A--Aribo--A.A

-----Adams-----

With Edozie and Mara ready to come on to bag our fourth and fifth...

Ward-Prowse?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Brentford - Postponed
  • Lighthouse locked and unpinned this topic