The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

Update

Crook just said that it is ‘inevitable’ that we will part company with RH and that they will accelerate the departure today of their earlier plan for doing it during the WC. Fan base has lost patience. Should be confirmed today as well as one or two changes behind the scenes,…

interesting, that last bit. 
he has no definitive answer on replacement but new man probs will be in charge by weekend. Said he will know more in next 48 hours,,,

Gelardo, Bo Svensson and Knutson mentioned.  Thomas Frank they are admirers of but that would be difficult deal to do. Didn’t mention Dyche. 

10 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

How the fuck is Nathan Jones already 1/2 odds on favourite for the Saints job? 

He's done a great job at Luton but got found out when he went to Stoke and ended up back at Luton, which is about his level. 

Nathan Jones? He’s been gone too long.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DT said:

Update

Crook just said that it is ‘inevitable’ that we will part company with RH and that they will accelerate the departure today of their earlier plan for doing it during the WC. Fan base has lost patience. Should be confirmed today as well as one or two changes behind the scenes,…

interesting, that last bit. 
he has no definitive answer on replacement but new man probs will be in charge by weekend. Said he will know more in next 48 hours,,,

Gelardo, Bo Svensson and Knutson mentioned.  Thomas Frank they are admirers of but that would be difficult deal to do. Didn’t mention Dyche. 

I thought Gallardo was still working for River Plate until December, so if a new manager was in charge by this weekend it couldn’t be him? it’s encouraging if we have Ralph’s replacement already sorted. 

Changes behind the scenes, has to be Semmens right? 

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I thought Gallardo was still working for River Plate until December, so if a new manager was in charge by this weekend it couldn’t be him? it’s encouraging if we have Ralph’s replacement already sorted. 

I'd assume that Semmens is going too. Bloke comes across as an idiot, and all the noises suggest all is not well. We need a clean sweep on the football side - new DoF or similar, and a new manager with his own coaching team.

The precise timing doesn't bother me as long as a) Ralph goes now (the Liverpool game is beyond us, and a caretaker can oversee the inevitable) and b) the new manager is here for the majority of the world cup so he has time to work. 

• Like 8

Couple of opinions for what they’re worth

Firstly I’m astounded Ralph is still here this morning. Shows how badly lacking in decisiveness our leaders are

Secondly, probably linked to the above, our leaders probably feel like they let Ralph down badly with the striker situation. It’s not Ralph’s fault, it’s theirs, and we’d be far better placed if we had one (I still think Ralph’s time was done anyway)

Lastly, we don’t need a manager by the weekend. Away to Liverpool and a league cup match are frankly irrelevant and free hits. Have a caretaker pick a side and let professional footballers perform with a bit of freedom. I’d far rather wait and get the right man

• Like 4

8 hours ago, kyle04 said:

So it's Dyche. Jones or Gallardo according to popular opinion.

Of the three, and this is far from ideal, Dyche would be the better option, given his experience. Gallardo could be either a Poch or a Pellagrino and is a risk, similarly Jones has no PL experience but is clearly a competent manager.

I'll be amazed if we manage to stay up this season.

it'll be someone we've never heard of but the hipsters on here will have admired him for a while and know all about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Japan season just finished...Kevin Muscats team won the league. Familiar with the English game. Won't take any shit as he is a bit of a cnut. Flopped while managing in Belgium but we will ignore that.

Stranger things have happened. 

38 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I would have thought so

• Like 1

Sad to see Ralph go but as it seems inevitable I hope we go for either Thomas Frank or Sean Dyche.

Frank is obviously in a job but I think he's done an incredible job at Brentford. Likewise Dyche did amazing stuff at Burnley with really tight resources.

We have a lot of inexperienced younger players and senior pros who aren't playing well. Right now we need someone who understands what being a Premier League manager is all about. Both would fit the bill nicely in my view.

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Nathan Jones just sounds like a betting market scam to me.

we do have a ready made song for him though. It'd be great to hear the northam signing this with all the wacky hand movements too

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

Sad to see Ralph go but as it seems inevitable I hope we go for either Thomas Frank or Sean Dyche.

Frank is obviously in a job but I think he's done an incredible job at Brentford. Likewise Dyche did amazing stuff at Burnley with really tight resources.

We have a lot of inexperienced younger players and senior pros who aren't playing well. Right now we need someone who understands what being a Premier League manager is all about. Both would fit the bill nicely in my view.

Our recruitment team have been out foraging for rare mushrooms and micro herbs. Sean Dyche is renowned for his sticky toffee pudding.

Just No.

• Haha 2

Nathan Jones.

We approached him in the summer and he said he was not ready to take the job.

I have no idea if we are back in for him and that he’s agreed this time round. I actually never heard of him when my source told me at the start of September.  Luton at the time were second bottom of the championship when I put it on this message board.

Nathan Jones has done well with Luton guiding them up the leagues but that's basically the same as what Nigel Adkins did with us, which in the Premier League was deemed to not be enough.

He would be an awful, awful appointment and would tell me that the club has zero ambition.

• Like 2

my mate is a massive luton fan (MIG) and I've watched them too much over the last few years.

Jones has done well with absolutely 0 money for the last 3 yrs and when he left to go to stoke he failed miserably.

Message below was from about a month ago when i floated the idea.

"football not great, play on the counter and plenty of long balls, but naturally good enough to royally dick watford"

9 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Nathan Jones has done well with Luton guiding them up the leagues but that's basically the same as what Nigel Adkins did with us, which in the Premier League was deemed to not be enough.

He would be an awful, awful appointment and would tell me that the club has zero ambition.

idk if we got the Luton Jones it could be decent, it’s good we don’t play in red and white stripes this year as he may get stoke PTSD 

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

my mate is a massive luton fan (MIG) and I've watched them too much over the last few years.

Jones has done well with absolutely 0 money for the last 3 yrs and when he left to go to stoke he failed miserably.

Message below was from about a month ago when i floated the idea.

"football not great, play on the counter and plenty of long balls, but naturally good enough to royally dick watford"

And Watford ended up beating them 4-0!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

We do have ambition, it's just that the league position isn't considered important by the board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

So are these the best options out there right now, will be interesting to see how things progress this week…

Domenico Tedesco 
Marcelo Gallardo 
Bo Svensson
Matthias Jaissle
Franck Haise
Kjetil Knutsen

Some good options, which might have been able to attract in the summer or if we were mid-table. But  would any of them take it on now and risk jeopardising their reputations and career ?  Especially if they're with a decent club already.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Gallardo's contract ends in Dec

River has finished their season but have 2 friendlies to play in nov with the last one being the 13th Nov.

He has already done his big goodbye in the stadium back in Oct https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/sports/river-plate-bids-farewell-to-el-muneco-gallardo-in-explosive-style.phtml

One of the great successes of Gallardo's time in charge has been the coach's ability to reinvent the side, despite losing big stars each year to club's in leagues with greater finances. 

"They sell him players and he's still there. He recycles himself and continues," Spanish coach Pep Guardiola said recently, praising Gallardo's skill. 

If we got Gallardo then I am firmly behind this appointment - he's won 14 trophies in his career.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Some good options, which might have been able to attract in the summer or if we were mid-table. But  would any of them take it on now and risk jeopardising their reputations and career ?  Especially if they're with a decent club already.

You often get people thinking we’re a bad choice as we’re 18th etc, but we’re still in the PL, they’d be offered decent $$$$ and I’d imagine an attractive enough break clause 'if' the worse happens. I’d expect us to have a chance with anyone on that list.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Gallardo's contract ends in Dec

River has finished their season but have 2 friendlies to play in nov with the last one being the 13th Nov.

He has already done his big goodbye in the stadium back in Oct https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/sports/river-plate-bids-farewell-to-el-muneco-gallardo-in-explosive-style.phtml

If we got Gallardo then I am firmly behind this appointment - he's won 14 trophies in his career.

This guy feels like exactly the sort we'd go for. Totally leftfield and someone who'd use us as a steppingstone as an oppertunity to show up in Europe and get on the radar of big clubs, if he's as good as the reports suggest he is (I'd never heard of him until last week tbf)

Edited by S-Clarke

4 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Well Gallardo would be a real statement of intent, Jones would be a real cheap option. I know which I'd like, and which the board will like... 

Based on what? The board have spent about £80 Million this summer without even selling anyone. Jones is employed and so would cost to get him out of it and Gallardo is very nearly out of contract and so would cost next to nothing.

Unless you were implying that Gallardo was the cheap option.

4 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Well Gallardo would be a real statement of intent, Jones would be a real cheap option. I know which I'd like, and which the board will like... 

Being that this board has never actually recruited a manager we don't actually know what they will like.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

So are these the best options out there right now, will be interesting to see how things progress this week…

Domenico Tedesco 
Marcelo Gallardo 
Bo Svensson
Matthias Jaissle
Franck Haise
Kjetil Knutsen

you could have made all these names up and I still wouldn’t of had a clue. 

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You often get people thinking we’re a bad choice as we’re 18th etc, but we’re still in the PL, they’d be offered decent $$$$ and I’d imagine an attractive enough break clause 'if' the worse happens. I’d expect us to have a chance with anyone on that list.

Also if things do go well, wouldn't take much for their stock to rise. If right now the best we can offer is to be a stepping stone for someone then so be it.

12 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

If he was called Nathanio Jonezech he'd appeal much more. Not saying he'd be my first choice but he I don't see how he'd show we have no ambition or whatever...

Dreadful analogy - there are foreign managers scrapping about in the Championship and (to a lesser extent) L1 and I wouldn't want them either. Currently he is doing the best he has ever done and he is 8th in the Championship. And we know he failed at Stoke a bigger club with bigger expectations than Luton. He can be called Jose McGuardiolason and that ain't some amazing record.

We've had Dave Jones and Sturrock and Adkins so we know what lower league managers can do.

• Like 1