Edmonton Saint

19 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I want to see:

Macca;

KWP Bella Salisu Perraud;

Lavia;

Elyounoussi JWP SArmstrong Edozie

Adams

Bit similar to how we setup at Leicester away. Wouldn’t bother me if Aribo, AArmstrong (wide left) or Djenepo (LB) played though, 

Agreed. That's more of less our strongest 11 I would say. Under Ralph I'd back that team to get results in the upcoming two games. Issue was he didn't really have a fit lavia, ABK, kwp for much of the season. Under Jones... Who knows... Here is to hoping. But tbh, how many of us are expecting him not to put lyanco in over abk, and diallo in for Armstrong 😭

@stevegrant doing his journalism thing

Southampton

Barring a vaguely competent few weeks at the end of August and beginning of September, it’s been an unmitigated disaster so far. We were excellent in victory over Chelsea and Leicester during that little run, but other than that it has been thin gruel indeed. Roméo Lavia has been excellent when he’s been able to get on the pitch, but the fact we’re so heavily reliant on an 18-year-old to look like a functioning team is pretty damning. The points total and league position tells its own story, as does the utterly baffling appointment of Nathan Jones.

We will finish: Bottom. It’s not a completely lost cause yet, but the signs aren’t good.

What we need in the window: A scorer – we’ve needed one since we let Villa hand over the thick end of £30m for Danny Ings nearly two years ago. With a fee and terms agreed with Cody Gakpo back in the summer before PSV pulled the plug, there’s clearly money for the right player. We also appear to be looking for another centre-back, which seems to miss the point that our defensive problems start with the lack of protection afforded to the porous back line by the midfield in front of it.

Our best-ever signing was: The £1m paid to Bristol Rovers for Rickie Lambert in 2009 – better than a goal every other game in 235 appearances to bring us back from the League One doldrums to the Premier League and on the verge of European football.

And the worst … Plenty of candidates, but it must be Guido Carrillo, a desperate January signing by Mauricio Pellegrino (who was sacked a few weeks later). He came for £19m, didn’t score, and after two years and two loan spells away we cut our losses.

Steve Grant SaintsWeb.co.uk; @SteveGrant1983

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

@stevegrant doing his journalism thing

Southampton

Barring a vaguely competent few weeks at the end of August and beginning of September, it’s been an unmitigated disaster so far. We were excellent in victory over Chelsea and Leicester during that little run, but other than that it has been thin gruel indeed. Roméo Lavia has been excellent when he’s been able to get on the pitch, but the fact we’re so heavily reliant on an 18-year-old to look like a functioning team is pretty damning. The points total and league position tells its own story, as does the utterly baffling appointment of Nathan Jones.

We will finish: Bottom. It’s not a completely lost cause yet, but the signs aren’t good.

What we need in the window: A scorer – we’ve needed one since we let Villa hand over the thick end of £30m for Danny Ings nearly two years ago. With a fee and terms agreed with Cody Gakpo back in the summer before PSV pulled the plug, there’s clearly money for the right player. We also appear to be looking for another centre-back, which seems to miss the point that our defensive problems start with the lack of protection afforded to the porous back line by the midfield in front of it.

Our best-ever signing was: The £1m paid to Bristol Rovers for Rickie Lambert in 2009 – better than a goal every other game in 235 appearances to bring us back from the League One doldrums to the Premier League and on the verge of European football.

And the worst … Plenty of candidates, but it must be Guido Carrillo, a desperate January signing by Mauricio Pellegrino (who was sacked a few weeks later). He came for £19m, didn’t score, and after two years and two loan spells away we cut our losses.

Steve Grant SaintsWeb.co.uk; @SteveGrant1983

Perfect summary. Thin gruel indeed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I want to see:

Macca;

Lavia;

Adams

Bit similar to how we setup at Leicester away. Wouldn’t bother me if Aribo, AArmstrong (wide left) or Djenepo (LB) played though, 

Agreed, but Isn't macca injured?

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I want to see:

Macca;

Lavia;

Adams

Also agree with this though difficult call Baz or Willy in goal. Can't see us doing a lot in the January transfer window. BBC Gossip says we're interested in some Lorient striker, Moffi, and hopefully we'll also get in a midfielder but ultimately, it's about getting the most from our threadbare squad. Here's hoping the turnaround starts today.

3 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I would like to see:

Caballero 

KWP, Bella-Kotchap, Caleta-Car  Perraud

Lavia  JWP  S. Armstrong

Aribo  Adams  Edozie

2-1 to us with Prowsey and Adams scoring :)

I like this, though i’d go Mccarthy if fit

3-2 saints, somehow though we’ll still be dominated

4 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I would like to see:

Caballero 

Lavia  JWP  S. Armstrong

Aribo  Adams  Edozie

That’s a team with potential to stay up - I’ll have that optimism batted out of me as soon as the 2pm line-up hits and it’s nowhere near the above and I’ll be resigned to a 3-0 walloping.

5 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I would like to see:

Caballero 

Lavia  JWP  S. Armstrong

Aribo  Adams  Edozie

no Elyanoussi? hes brilliant when he hasnt got the ball

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I would like to see:

Caballero 

Lavia  JWP  S. Armstrong

Aribo  Adams  Edozie

I'll get shot down, but Ely over Aribo for me. Aribo is a lazy sod and lacks quality. 

13 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Is this game on TV anywhere?

Let me be the first to say go to this website 30-15mins before the kick off and SCROLL DOWN and it will have a billion links to different streams - i use this website every week and is where i post all sorts of links from.

https://soccerstreams100.io/event/eng-1/southampton-at-fulham-live-soccer-streams/637996

• Like 3

In my view if any of Elyonoussie, Djenepo, Lyanco or A Armstrong play we have little chance especially if S Armstrong and Lavia don't play. My preferred team from those that appear to be in full training.

Bazuna, KWP,Caleta Car, Salisu, Perrault; Bella-Kotcha; JWP, Lavia; S Armstrong, Edozie, Adams. It's not 3 at the back but a quick mobile defender in front of the centre backs. 4,1,2,3.  If KWP and Perrault play like they usually do our danger area is behind them so BK and Lavia could cover that and JWP help the front three. Only a thought but puts our current available best players on the field at the same time but pie in the sky. It isn't going to happen. I'm expecting another Brighton clusterfuck selection.

Edited by derry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, derry said:

In my view if any of Elyonoussie, Djenepo, Lyanco or A Armstrong play we have little chance especially if S Armstrong and Lavia don't play. My preferred team from those that appear to be in full training.

Bazuna, KWP,Caleta Car, Salisu, Perrault; Bella-Kotcha; JWP, Lavia; S Armstrong, Edozie, Adams. It's not 3 at the back but a quick mobile defender in front of the centre backs. 4,1,2,3.  If KWP and Perrault play like they usually do our danger area is behind them so BK and Lavia could cover that and JWP help the front three. Only a thought but puts our current available best players on the field at the same time but pie in the sky. It isn't going to happen. I'm expecting another Brighton clusterfuck selection.

• Like 1

Heres mine for today lads:

BAZZA

AMN-ABK-SALI-KWP

LAVIA

JWP-STEWIE

DJENEPO-ADAMS-EDOZIE

∼Will be sat in fulham end so if we get smashed at least i can pretend to look happy :)

I do think saints have the quality in the squad to beat Fulham, Lavia being fit is a huge factor though!

Just now, macca155 said:

Well here we go, nicely set up in a Putney pub. Brought Lady Macca to the football today, these are desperate times so desperate measures required. Hopefully bring some luck.

Costing me a fortune in G&Ts

🤣

It is a nice part of London to be fair

32 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Ely is a slow sod that lacks quality.

Neither are than great, but Airibo just edges it for me because of his physical attributes.

Ely is the better footballer of the two. That's not praise of Ely, but a reflection of how poor Aribo is. For me, we need players who'll give 100%, and Aribo is not one of those players. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

Ely is the better footballer of the two. That's not praise of Ely, but a reflection of how poor Aribo is. For me, we need players who'll give 100%, and Aribo is not one of those players. 

The problem is Ely gives 100% to get the ball back only to give it away 20 seconds later. both are rubbish, but i’d go for aribo this game just for a change. 

1 hour ago, derry said:

First It was Lyanco I'm the midfield, we've now got calls for ABK in there. It'll be Caballero next. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

The problem is Ely gives 100% to get the ball back only to give it away 20 seconds later. both are rubbish, but i’d go for aribo this game just for a change. 

In truth, it's who we see as the lesser of evils mate! I just hope we don't start with a CB pair of Lyanco and Salisu again. For some reason I think there'll be a proper curveball today - one or more of the kids starting. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, egg said:

In truth, it's who we see as the lesser of evils mate! I just hope we don't start with a CB pair of Lyanco and Salisu again. For some reason I think there'll be a proper curveball today - one or more of the kids starting. 

yes, I think they’ll be a young player at maybe LB? Jones seemed quite pissed off with Perraud last game taking him off early. 

19 minutes ago, egg said:

Lyanco with a battle cry on twitter. Does he always do that on match day or does it indicate that he may start.

Who you thinking, Ballard, JJ or Larios?

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Lyanco with a battle cry on twitter. Does he always do that on match day or does it indicate that he may start.

Who you thinking, Ballard, JJ or Larios?

Neither. Possibly Payne at right back, shifting KWP to the left. Wouldn't surprise me if Turner or Finnigan came out of nowhere either. Not based on anything, just a feeling that he'll try to freshen things up somehow. 

20 minutes ago, egg said:

First It was Lyanco I'm the midfield, we've now got calls for ABK in there. It'll be Caballero next. 

I'm not proposing that as a solution, what I am proposing is to try and combat Fulham's form advantage by making us, an out of form team more solid. Aribo and the other four won't do that. BK isn't in as a holding midfielder he's a defender defending just in front of the two centrbacks.What would help to make us better defensively is stop Perrault and KWP making Kamikaze runs and presenting two bloody great areas that every team in the land are exploiting and the midfield not covering. Maybe play a defensive back four and don't expose the centrebacks. KWP was to some degree at fault in all three Brighton goals. Playing a compact five in midfield might also do it.. Three centre backs doesn't work with the present players so I'm ignoring it.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fulham 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic