Fulham 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

Edmonton Saint

Ralph was the best at getting a stable team with no budget to survive the Premiership . Those that attacked him and created his downfall now have to ask themselves as to why after so much stabilaty he is now gone . Remembering the days pre Ralph were a nitemare  with relegation comimg every season . Yous guys that  called for his resignation have got to ask yourselves where the grass was or is greener . 2023 looks grim for Saints and the actions are well ahead of what NJ can salvage from here if anything . Probanly nothing from the last game !

• Like 5
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, SaturdayGirl said:

Ralph was the best at getting a stable team with no budget to survive the Premiership . Those that attacked him and created his downfall now have to ask themselves as to why after so much stabilaty he is now gone . Remembering the days pre Ralph were a nitemare  with relegation comimg every season . Yous guys that  called for his resignation have got to ask yourselves where the grass was or is greener . 2023 looks grim for Saints and the actions are well ahead of what NJ can salvage from here if anything . Probanly nothing from the last game !

We only fought relegation in the season before Ralph came. Season before that we finished 8th and got to the league cup final, and before that we were competing in the top 6 (finishing 3 points off top 4 one season) and playing in Europe. Total nonsense to suggest that his tenure was the high point of our current premier league stint - to say we were treading water would be generous, we got worse every season under him. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SaturdayGirl said:

You clearly haven’t got a clue what you are on about, relegation threatened in the seasons before Ralph arrived ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I’d have Elyounoussi over Aribo personally. Aribo is too lazy. 

Agreed. His lack of effort is very disappointing. However there's a chance he might beat a man or pull off a trick to open up a defence. Elyounoussi on the other hand offers absolutely zilch and playing him effectively leaves us with 10 men from the start. A woeful footballer vs a lazy one. Take your pick I suppose, they're both crap.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SaturdayGirl said:

Attacked him and created his downfall we were in bottom 3!!

We had lost to 3 teams in  bottom in that run and battered at home by Newcastle 

Great first post 

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SaturdayGirl said:

Jesus wept, some proper blinded happy clappers on here

• Haha 1

I hope we keep it simple. play your best fit players and use a system that works. I’d go with Bazanu, KWP, ABK DCC Salisu, Perraud, JWP Stuart A Aribo and Che up front.

352 or 532 either way.

that leaves one strikers role for Edozie or Morgan. We need something different up front.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, saintant said:

Lyanco as a defensive midfielder would see red before half time. He'd be steaming into anything that moved

We say that but in reality how many bookings and red cards does he actually get.

I still think it's worth a go, we could do with someone steaming in. Be one he'll of a first half at the very least.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SaturdayGirl said:

Joined 11 hours ago….is that you Ralph? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Agreed. His lack of effort is very disappointing. However there's a chance he might beat a man or pull off a trick to open up a defence. Elyounoussi on the other hand offers absolutely zilch and playing him effectively leaves us with 10 men from the start. A woeful footballer vs a lazy one. Take your pick I suppose, they're both crap.

Aribo does pop up with the odd goal now and then. He's OK for us I'd say, needs to work harder for sure.

• Like 2

Sadly all i can see is another loss against Fulham , We are not relagated yet and a short run of good form could pull us away from the bottom three.

However part of me thinks we need to be relegated to cleanse the club of the dross we now have and kinda start again with players that give a shit and likewise owners . 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, SaturdayGirl said:

Good to see Ralphs wife has joined the forum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, macca155 said:

Got to take what positives we can from the last 2 games.

Mccarthy should play but if injured Bazuma will get another chance.

AMN looks way better at RB so a defence of AMN ABK Salisu KWP is probably the best we have at the moment.

Midfield is desperate. JWP, S Armstrong, and hopefully Lavia in the middle, with Edozie and Mara playing behind Adams. Keep it narrow and hope our players have learnt how to run again.

If Lavia isn't available then Lyanco has to play a defensive midfielder role. He has the skills just needs to control his recklessness. JWP and S Armstrong simply cannot influence a game without somebody doing the grunt work.

Not sure about Aribo, hopefully there's a role for him.

Sp looking forward to this one.

Lyanco shouldn’t play any role, this obsession our fans have with putting someone like Stephens or Lyanco in midfield is baffling. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

McCarthy (can’t believe I’m saying that)

KWP

Caleta-Carr

ABK

Salisu

Perraud

Stu Armstrong

JWP

Aribo

Edozie

Adams

Caleta-Carr has to play for the rest of the season IMO, he’s a calming influence amongst the chaos. I’m not a massive fan of 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 but not sure we have much choice at the moment. Aribo has been rubbish but I’m choosing him over Diallo, Ely, or Djenepo as they’re all even worse. Lyanco shouldn’t be anywhere near it. I was tempted by Jimmy-Jay as he really can’t do any worse. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Turkish said:

terrible isn't it. We are going to play Fulham and full expect a heavy defeat. Fulham, fucking Fulham

Tbf they’re 9th in the table and defying all pre-season predictions of relegation.

That said, if they were 19th in the table I’d still be expecting a heavy defeat. We are absolutely garbage.

25 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Tbf they’re 9th in the table and defying all pre-season predictions of relegation.

That said, if they were 19th in the table I’d still be expecting a heavy defeat. We are absolutely garbage.

Forest haven’t scored away since August I believe and i’m still expecting a big defeat against them at St Marys as well. We just aren’t very good even put up against these promoted teams

8 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Forest haven’t scored away since August I believe and i’m still expecting a big defeat against them at St Marys as well. We just aren’t very good even put up against these promoted teams

When does a defeat become a 'big defeat'? A four goal spread? 

11 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Sounds about right. By 1 or 2 goals is a defeat, 3 goals a sound beating, 4 goals a big defeat, 5 goals a heavy defeat, 6 or 7 (seven) and upwards is a hammering.

I reckon we might be able to limit the damage to just a defeat. Though I’m not confident and a sound beating or worse could well be in order.

59 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

They are but we shouldn't be going into any game bar Man City and perhaps Liverpool expecting to lose heavily. The fact that 95% of the people on this thread think we'll do well to come away with a defeat rather than a thrashing is depressingly realistic.

16 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I’d have Elyounoussi over Aribo personally. Aribo is too lazy. 

and elyounoussi isnt? holy crap what matches have you been watching? off the ball all he does is a lot of pointing and casually strolls to the player on the ball to close them down, on the ball is must be in the top 5 slowest wingers the premier league has seen, he is one of a few players that should never play for us again and one of the main reasons why it seems we are playing with a player less each game he starts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

With the opposition scoring 3 or more at St Marys is a big defeat. Just because we’ve lost by higher amounts frequently dosent mean conceding this many at home shouldn’t be considered big. Brighton and Newcastle perfect examples of what I expect atm even against Forest and away at Fulham. 

Well my hope for a turnaround under Nathan Jones has disappeared completely after watching the Lincoln, and Brighton games...no clue, no fight, no shape or style. We are now the wounded bird in a ruthless flock and will be pecked to death unless SR make an outsized statement investment in new players on the first day the transfer window opens. Without that I think Lavia is gone and without him I think our run in the Premiership is done (not just because of him not playing but because of the psychological impact of our best, most promising young players leaving). 

Oh yes...and the Fulham game!...3-0 to the Cottagers. 

Hoping this is just a bleak midwinter we'll somehow escape from with a 17th -place finish...but just don't see it happening when I look at what our rival relegation competitors are doing relative to us.

1 hour ago, DrunkenSaint said:

probably wont make difference as Jones will probably play 8 defenders just to get a point but here goes...

any goalkeeper who is fit

KWP ABK Salisu Perraud

----Lavia---Lyanco---

Jwp----Stu.Armstrong---Edozie

-----------Adams----------

Lyanco in midfield is a crazy idea. He's a CB, and an average one at that.

JWP is not a wide player.  

ABK looked unfit and overweight in the Lincoln game. If he's match ready I'd start him over Lyanco. 

5 hours ago, Appy said:

Lyanco shouldn’t play any role, this obsession our fans have with putting someone like Stephens or Lyanco in midfield is baffling. 

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I am equally baffled why some have such a downer on him. Been pretty much our standout player since the world Cup. Which is saying nothing of course, but there are plenty in front of him for the chop.

He cares, he works hard, he puts himself on the line and makes a lot of interceptions that I think many overlook.

Yes he makes mistakes and can be reckless but he's needed at the moment.

ABK is a better defender hands down but he is a youngster and needs careful handling. DCC is competing with Salisu but he seems to have what it takes.

Bottom line is that our CHs are not the issue. They are exposed by a powder puff non existent midfield and dodgy full backs.

Sort that out and we stand a chance. I suggested Lyanco as a short term measure.

Do you have a better idea? I hope so because mine is pretty crap, but the midfield has to be strengthened somehow.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, egg said:

Lyanco in midfield is a crazy idea. He's a CB, and an average one at that.

JWP is not a wide player.  

ABK looked unfit and overweight in the Lincoln game. If he's match ready I'd start him over Lyanco. 

I don't think anyone would argue with you about ABK. A real talent but he needs to be fit. Equally madness to play JWP out wide.

The team needs a defensive midfielder. The lunatics let Romeu go, so we are left with pretty desperate measures.

Somebody has to go in there. Lyanco is a desperate measure but he has some pace, can pass, shoot and tackle. That puts him above AMN and Diallo.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I am equally baffled why some have such a downer on him. Been pretty much our standout player since the world Cup. Which is saying nothing of course, but there are plenty in front of him for the chop.

He cares, he works hard, he puts himself on the line and makes a lot of interceptions that I think many overlook.

Yes he makes mistakes and can be reckless but he's needed at the moment.

ABK is a better defender hands down but he is a youngster and needs careful handling. DCC is competing with Salisu but he seems to have what it takes.

Bottom line is that our CHs are not the issue. They are exposed by a powder puff non existent midfield and dodgy full backs.

Sort that out and we stand a chance. I suggested Lyanco as a short term measure.

Do you have a better idea? I hope so because mine is pretty crap, but the midfield has to be strengthened somehow.

Our best player since the World Cup? 

He’s been shite against Lincoln and Brighton, along with everyone else perhaps bar Edozie. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DrunkenSaint said:

and elyounoussi isnt? holy crap what matches have you been watching? off the ball all he does is a lot of pointing and casually strolls to the player on the ball to close them down, on the ball is must be in the top 5 slowest wingers the premier league has seen, he is one of a few players that should never play for us again and one of the main reasons why it seems we are playing with a player less each game he starts.

He was terrible off the ball against Brighton. He had no idea whether to press or stand off. When he did press it was totally half arsed. Whether that was down to him or the managers instructions who knows. Either way he just sums us up as a club at the moment. 

• Like 1

Lyanco is exactly the opposite of what a struggling, repegation fighting team that concedes too many goals really needs.

He is rash, inconsistent, overly emotional and erratic where we so badly need reliability, structure, simplicity and calm.

In hindsight a player like Connor Coady or Ben Mee would have been ideal for us.

ABK and Salisu both have the raw tools to be very good, they just need a leader alongside them to set the standard and organise.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Appy said:

Our best player since the World Cup? 

He’s been shite against Lincoln and Brighton, along with everyone else perhaps bar Edozie. 

They've all been shite even Edozie missed 2 sitters. No dispute on that.

So come on what's your solution for Fulham, assuming Lavia is injured.

10 minutes ago, macca155 said:

It wouldn’t be Lyanco…

Id personally go 433, its pretty obvious that the sum of our downfall is because we just cannot get a grip of the midfield battle, and generally unless you play an aggressive counterpress or are an effective long ball side (we’re currently neither) you’ll need to be combatant in midfield

SHOULD Lavia be injured I think Id employ a midfield three of Stu Armstrong, JWP and Diallo.. none if them are able to hold down a midfield on their own but against Fulham Id like to think we’d be able to compete

McCarthy (take Gav out of the firing line)

KWP ABK(DCC) Salisu Perraud

JWP Diallo Armstrong

Aribo Che Ely/A Armstrong

of course if Lavia is fit then Id go back to our standard 4231 with RL and JWP as CMs but with S Armstrong as the 10 and the forward 3 remaining much the same

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

He was terrible off the ball against Brighton. He had no idea whether to press or stand off. When he did press it was totally half arsed. Whether that was down to him or the managers instructions who knows. Either way he just sums us up as a club at the moment. 

Totally Elyounousi just doesn’t press or close down and at least one goal if not two resulted in Brighton being allowed to break our press because he  did not do his job.

Who does he think he is pointing the finger continuously at his team mates when he contributes the sum total of sod all…

Edited by captainchris
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Play a midfielder in midfield, not Lyanco, who as discussed, is shite. 

• Like 3

I love Lyanco's passion and I appreciate that he at least cares but he isn't good enough to be a starting Premier League centre back, it's as simple as that.

Why anyone therefore would think he could do a job in midfield is beyond me.

Edited by Pamplemousse

Backs to the wall 3-0 defeat.

They are everything we aren’t right now.

I wouldn’t play Bazunu - he’s been poor and needs taking out the firing line. Lyanco quite simply isn’t good enough, but many on here adore him because he pounds his chest once in a while - doesn’t hide that he’s still poor. Even Salisu I’d take out now.

McCarthy (if fit, God that was hard for me to write)
KWP, DCC, ABK, Perraud
S. Armstrong, JWP, Lavia, Diallo, Edozie
Adams

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1

End of the day the line-up was irrelevant v Brighton - Saints had 16 different players on the pitch in that 90 mins and none of them moved for each other, none of them worked as a team, there was no link-up and our only chances came from a few dribbles. Doesn't matter who Saints play if they don't start moving and helping each other, making themselves available for a pass and releasing the ball quickly and decisively we're just gonna keep having 11 individuals out on the pitch who don't stand a chance in hell because we can't expect individuals to make things happen.

What was most worrying from Brighton is that no-one wanted the ball. Everyone was hiding. The starting line-up for Fulham should be the 11 who are most willing receive a pass and move around. Probably won't get us a win, because then there is the overall lack of quality, but Saints need to start actually playing football again, at the very least. Ultimately its a game of movement, and I can't see Saints winning another game this season if they remain so static.

Edited by Nemi
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Genuinely, I had no idea which player you were talking about. Could've been any of about 9 of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LGTL said:

Bat shit mental that our sole chance of survival relies on an 18 year old kid who’s played about 10 games actually getting himself fit and staying fit. Those responsible should hang their heads in shame.

They'll be patting themselves on the back when we bank a decent profit on him.

18 hours ago, Appy said:

But everyone else we have put in the midfield the fans have said they don’t want to see in a Southampton shirt again, so do we just play 5 defenders and 5 attackers and be done with the midfield entirely!

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Finally some honesty from a player.

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 10.02.05.png

I know it’s a joke, but what else  can he say, other than clichés and platitudes ? He knows more than we do how bad we are top to bottom. He has a responsibility to comment after matches, he can hardly call the manager, his team mates and the club hierarchy out can he?

I can’t see him staying much longer, and before anyone says it, he hasn’t suddenly turned crap, his goals kept us up last season, this season he has an impossible task with the dross around him and Ralph losing the plot.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fulham 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic