Fulham 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

Edmonton Saint

1 minute ago, Manuel said:

Ha ha, I was wondering this earlier.  The weather could be a bit of a leveller.  If we can't be competent, well drilled and organised, perhaps we can at least pounce on some mistakes.  

If anything the weather will go against us. This is when you have to roll your sleeves up and plough through on a soft pitch. Don't think we have the fitness levels to compete.

KWP on the left - I prefer him there. Controversial I know but IMO it gives him more freedom to cut inside, turn defenders inside out and make use of either the overlap or the underlap because the inside winger (I guess you'd have to call them ie Stu or Aribo) would be able to be either in or out as opposed to the right hand side where he'd probably just have that overlap.

• Like 2

Okay, I've calmed down marginally. Trying to work out what that team actually is. 

Reckon ANM and lyanco might be playing cdm or RB between them. I'd actually put lyanco at cdm of the two... 

KWP at left back. 

Then jwp at cm, with ely/aribo playing in the 10, and then edozi and ely/aribo as wingers... 

Its the only sense I can make of that team. 

Not playing Stuart Armstrong in the 10 is poor. If lyanco is at cdm it might work, but if he's playing CB I would pick sali or DCC over him all day. 

If we're play 5 at the back with that midfield he deserves all the shit that's coming to him.

I think what we're getting is a parade of the yes men plus the few automatic picks thrown together in a favourite formation. What happened to assess your players then come up with a shape that makes the best of the best available. Almost looks like a run out of ideas, last throw of the dice, don't pick anybody that doesn't appear compliant. 

If this works I take my hat off to him. If it doesn't it's time for damage limitation before it's too late. Lyanco, Elynousey, AMN and Aribo he's off his trolley. Backs to the wall I wouldn't take any of those four. I'm wondering if we'll make it to the end with a full team.

• Like 2

Probably too early to assume it's the formation as set out on the BBC website etc.

Could easily have Salisu playing LB in a back 4, with AMN in CM. And then Moi, Edozie and Aribo supporting Adams.

Granted, it's still utterly horrific, but I don't think he'd be as daft to go with JWP as our only CM.

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

KWP on the left - I prefer him there. Controversial I know but IMO it gives him more freedom to cut inside, turn defenders inside out and make use of either the overlap or the underlap because the inside winger (I guess you'd have to call them ie Stu or Aribo) would be able to be either in or out as opposed to the right hand side where he'd probably just have that overlap.

I prefer KWP down the left too. He can do more attacking wise cutting in on his right, than going outside a man and crossing to nobody down the right. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

I prefer KWP down the left too. He can do more attacking wise cutting in on his right, than going outside a man and crossing to nobody down the right. 

Also, I don't think Perrued is as great as everyone thinks he is. Got a decent shot on him but other than that, his best asset seems to be that he talks well in the media, says all the right things and seems a nice guy.

The Stuart Armstrong mystery continues...

He was first on the team sheet and more often than not our best & most creative player before he got that bout of Covid a couple of seasons ago, but has been a bit-part player ever since (both under Hassenhutl and now Jones).

Something we're not being told, surely...

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

How? Seems like the best line up instead of maybe CC ahead of Lyanco.

Stu Armstrong. DCC. Perraud. Lavia. 

4 of our best players are on the bench while AMN, Aribo and Lyanco are playing.

You've got to be mad to even suggest that he's picked our best team bar DCC. 

• Like 3

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Also, I don't think Perrued is as great as everyone thinks he is. Got a decent shot on him but other than that, his best asset seems to be that he talks well in the media, says all the right things and seems a nice guy.

He's got a good attitude about him and I like his commitment, but technically he is atrocious and hampers our attack so much.

Give it 10 minutes and it will be clear how we will get on.

I personally think Fulham will carve us in half and score on the 8th minute. From there onwards we will huff and puff in a disjointed effort and go down 3-1 yet again.

Loved to be proved wrong but the manager and players are not working for each other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'm not his biggest fan, but he's a round peg in a round hole and puts a shift in. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

Stu Armstrong. DCC. Perraud. Lavia. 

4 of our best players are on the bench while AMN, Aribo and Lyanco are playing.

You've got to be mad to even suggest that he's picked our best team bar DCC. 

Stu clearly has fitness issues. That's been obvious for a while. Has he EVER played 2 consecutive 90 minutes for us? Lavia is obviously not quite fit and Perraud isn't very good.

7 minutes ago, egg said:

Pick a formation and drill it into the players.

Then pick my best players. 

This idiot does neither. 

I get the impression he’s very arrogant and thinks he needs to be clever rather than do the simple things most managers have done in history, pick your best players in their best positions

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Problem: midfield is weak

NJ solution: play without a midfield, how can a midfield be weak if it's not there *taps forehead*

That brings some kind of logic to that illogical line up! 

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

How? Seems like the best line up instead of maybe CC ahead of Lyanco.

3 games in a row he’s picked Eli and not SA. 
3 games in a row he’s picked our 4th best centre back

2nd game out of 3 he’s picked AMN at all.

2nd game in a row he’s completely isolated Che.

And he’s either not picked a fit Lavia (our only cdm) or he’s picked a half fit player for the bench, who was rushed back to early last time and got injured again.

Otherwise, it’s as good as we could hope for, yeah 🤦🏻‍♂️

Please may I be proved entirely wrong, of course 

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

I'm not his biggest fan, but he's a round peg in a round hole and puts a shift in. 

He reminds me of Danny Fox. Good lad but other than having a good attitude, I can't figure out what it is he actually contributes bar the odd long shot.

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Stu clearly has fitness issues. That's been obvious for a while. Has he EVER played 2 consecutive 90 minutes for us? Lavia is obviously not quite fit and Perraud isn't very good.

There is more to it than that IMO, something has gone on since 2021. He'll be out of here in the summer I think, cut price back to Celtic or something.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I get the impression he’s very arrogant and thinks he needs to be clever rather than do the simple things most managers have done in history, pick your best players in their best positions

Isn't that just all managers these days? The common criticism of every manager now a days from their clubs fans is "Doesn't do the basics" and "Has no plan B" - Those two things get banded about. My mate says the latter about Klopp all the time.

4 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Give it 10 minutes and it will be clear how we will get on.

I personally think Fulham will carve us in half and score on the 8th minute. From there onwards we will huff and puff in a disjointed effort and go down 3-1 yet again.

Loved to be proved wrong but the manager and players are not working for each other.

Does have that feel so far.

Let's see what today brings.

The whole squad has fitness level issues - that's as clear as day.

Edited by saintant

I suspect he is playing Moi alongside JWP and 5 at the back (AMN right back). He’s got two def mid on the bench in Lavia / Finnegan. I can only think that Moi (and Lyanco) have impressed him most / onboard / follow instructions and he has seen something in Moi that makes him think he is better as a cm. He’s then trying to support Adams with Aribo and Fandab. It’s a big risk…

One good thing about this seemingly random / slightly bizarre team selection is at least the opposition manager & team won't have a clue about our formation and set-up either. Could be a genius move by Jones :)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hodgey said:

I suspect he is playing Moi alongside JWP and 5 at the back (AMN right back). He’s got two def mid on the bench in Lavia / Finnegan. I can only think that Moi (and Lyanco) have impressed him most / onboard / follow instructions and he has seen something in Moi that makes him think he is better as a cm. He’s then trying to support Adams with Aribo and Fandab. It’s a big risk…

hahahahahahahhahaha 10 out of 10

Isn't that just all managers these days? The common criticism of every manager now a days from their clubs fans is "Doesn't do the basics" and "Has no plan B" - Those two things get banded about. My mate says the latter about Klopp all the time.

Luckily we do have a plan B. Sadly that plan B always has to be enacted with a formation change on 20 mins when are already 2-0 down. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fulham 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic