FA Cup Fifth Round Draw - Grimsby (h)

Pamplemousse

1 hour ago, EssEffCee said:

Does anybody know why we started giving the whole northam away in recent years? The 15% rule has been there for years but I remember loads of cup games where we still had some fans in the northam.

Is it to make segregation easier? Bit shit really and hands an advantage to the opposition.

We ain't selling many tickets, and if an away fan is willing to come all the way down from Grimsby, midweek, we should make it as easy as possible for them to get a ticket, not restrict them.

They might not need the advantage it provides. Right now, I fear for us no matter who we are playing, big support or not. We are utter turd and could easily lose this game. 

Grimsby seem to have quite a lively set of away fans.  I was at Stockport County v Grimsby earlier in the season.  They brought a big and noisy away following.  In the first half it all kicked off in the away end when the stewards seemed to be trying to remove a couple of lads.  This prompted loads of their mates to wade in, along with more stewards and police.  Fists were certainly flying - more so than in Block 35/36 when the Toon fans celebrated their goal. Probably 15-20 of them were then hauled away.  Be amazed if a few bans didn't get dished out as a result.  Afterwards as I was walking to my local for a couple, there were loads of boisterous Grimsby around, celebrating their win.  To be fair it livened up an otherwise pretty dull first half.

10 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

ITV4 I believe. Pretty sure they were expecting the NJ derby though, 

Every game is being shown in this round, when looking at the scheduling / channel choice I don't think they are expecting many to want to watch it 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stockportsaint said:

Grimsby seem to have quite a lively set of away fans.  I was at Stockport County v Grimsby earlier in the season.  They brought a big and noisy away following.  In the first half it all kicked off in the away end when the stewards seemed to be trying to remove a couple of lads.  This prompted loads of their mates to wade in, along with more stewards and police.  Fists were certainly flying - more so than in Block 35/36 when the Toon fans celebrated their goal. Probably 15-20 of them were then hauled away.  Be amazed if a few bans didn't get dished out as a result.  Afterwards as I was walking to my local for a couple, there were loads of boisterous Grimsby around, celebrating their win.  To be fair it livened up an otherwise pretty dull first half.

They've got quite a 'reputation' in the lower leagues, will be 'lively' when they roll up down here soon.

9 hours ago, stockportsaint said:

It won’t kick off then, as our stewards don’t bother with the away end. 

Hi, Grimsby fan in peace, Really wanted to draw you away as one of 2 teams I’ve never seen the Mariners play(along with Manchester United).The draw has gone down as a bit a mixed bag back home but that’s due to the fact many fans won’t be able to travel the distance on a Wednesday night due to work commitments and school etc, without a doubt if it was a Saturday we would of sold out easily. Hard to say how many will travel, I would guess at around 3k but nothing would surprise me with our fans. We took over 5k to Chelsea on a Tuesday night and 5.5k to palace in 2019 and we often take 1k to London games as we have quite a large southern fan base. Yeah we do have a bit of a reputation but I think that’s a bit unfair and based on events some time ago, our fans are good humoured , friendly and like a good drink. I’m too young to remember Lawrie mcmenemy who was a hero round these parts but remember you signing Gordon Hobson off us which really upset me, we also had your goalkeeper tommy forecast on loan and to this day he is regarded as the worst player to ever play for us. Anyway coming down on the train and looking forward to a good drink and a good day. All the best

Edited by Haddock boy
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, Saint In Cornwall said:

Just what we need another load of fishy mutants....

Just got my tickets for the game as I've had to move. 

Don't let the Skates see this 

_95765229_gettyimages-80432666.thumb.jpg.b17d9f1583a8089fc044930c6024578b.jpg

grimsby.thumb.jpg.f6ff4c2bc55546f4350244c86c6b35e2.jpggettyimages-1246615709-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.82782c779d473bf36b244fffe02c9ec0.jpg

Edited by JRM
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Any season ticket holders having problems accessing their seats?

I have just gone on to book mine but its not available for some reason

Your seat will have been reserved for you. You access it through your account.

https://tickets.southamptonfc.com/account

It's on the right.

Edited by Saint In Cornwall
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Haddock boy said:

Hi, Grimsby fan in peace, Really wanted to draw you away as one of 2 teams I’ve never seen the Mariners play(along with Manchester United).The draw has gone down as a bit a mixed bag back home but that’s due to the fact many fans won’t be able to travel the distance on a Wednesday night due to work commitments and school etc, without a doubt if it was a Saturday we would of sold out easily. Hard to say how many will travel, I would guess at around 3k but nothing would surprise me with our fans. We took over 5k to Chelsea on a Tuesday night and 5.5k to palace in 2019 and we often take 1k to London games as we have quite a large southern fan base. Yeah we do have a bit of a reputation but I think that’s a bit unfair and based on events some time ago, our fans are good humoured , friendly and like a good drink. I’m too young to remember Lawrie mcmenemy who was a hero round these parts but remember you signing Gordon Hobson off us which really upset me, we also had your goalkeeper tommy forecast on loan and to this day he is regarded as the worst player to ever play for us. Anyway coming down on the train and looking forward to a good drink and a good day. All the best

Oh heck, does that mean Fourpast actually started a football league game?

Yes, he really did, and very badly https://thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8502418

Hope you enjoy your trip and decent chance of winning, SFC is an absolute shambles at the moment. 

11 hours ago, The Cat said:

Surely they'll try and smuggle them in deflated and then blow them up in the ground.

Imagine getting kicked out for having an inflatable haddock.

It's the world we live in now mate, sad times. Can imagine the stewards briefing pre match , watch out for these inflatable haddocks lads, have a snatch squad ready to pounce. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JRM said:

It's the world we live in now mate, sad times. Can imagine the stewards briefing pre match , watch out for these inflatable haddocks lads, have a snatch squad ready to pounce. 

I'm sure there's a punchline about haddocks and snatches there somewhere but it's alluding me at the moment.

No disrespect to Grimsby (who actually play in Cleethorpes, the San Tropez of Lincolnshire) any Premier League club should beat a team that is not actually setting League 2 alight.
If we dont win the new Manager (and the players) deserve to be pilloried.
I sincerely hope we win but also wish Grimsby fans an enjoyable visit as they are decent fans.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

No disrespect to Grimsby (who actually play in Cleethorpes, the San Tropez of Lincolnshire) any Premier League club should beat a team that is not actually setting League 2 alight.
If we dont win the new Manager (and the players) deserve to be pilloried.
I sincerely hope we win but also wish Grimsby fans an enjoyable visit as they are decent fans.

Your avatar......................your not Chinese by any chance?

• Haha 2

On 09/02/2023 at 11:33, Haddock boy said:

Hi, Grimsby fan in peace, Really wanted to draw you away as one of 2 teams I’ve never seen the Mariners play(along with Manchester United).The draw has gone down as a bit a mixed bag back home but that’s due to the fact many fans won’t be able to travel the distance on a Wednesday night due to work commitments and school etc, without a doubt if it was a Saturday we would of sold out easily. 

It is bullshit that we’ve had this recent thing of midweek FA Cup games that makes it awkward for away fans to travel. Love a proper cup tie on a Saturday afternoon.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

£7 for an inflatable fish seems a bit much 

Our ticket sales for this game unsurprisingly look tiny at the moment, a reflection of league position,  dissatisfaction with the club as a whole, plus Leicester at home a few days later , so Grimsby will have to wave their blow up fish at lots of empty seats 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Our ticket sales for this game unsurprisingly look tiny at the moment, a reflection of league position,  dissatisfaction with the club as a whole, plus Leicester at home a few days later , so Grimsby will have to wave their blow up fish at lots of empty seats 

Just you wait, Nigel Adkins will be reappointed and there will be a full house! 😃

3 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Just you wait, Nigel Adkins will be reappointed and there will be a full house! 😃

It's a 5th round of the FA cup, good chance of winning, should be a decent away end, any normal year would be close to a sell out, not this year though , I can't blame fans when you look at our home record 

1 hour ago, JRM said:

It's a 5th round of the FA cup, good chance of winning, should be a decent away end, any normal year would be close to a sell out, not this year though , I can't blame fans when you look at our home record 

Yeah, can’t blame them at all.

Terrible form and Wednesday night kick-off not good for ticket sales!

On 16/02/2023 at 18:14, JRM said:

Their biggest worry is that the USAF might fly overhead and shoot them down.

Edited by david in sweden

Haddock boy in peace, was pleased to see your wishes came true and the oddball got relieved of his duties, probably not helped our chances of what would be an unlikely cup upset, crazy how one man can fcuk a club up, we had it a few seasons ago with Ian Holloway and ended up in non league. would you think it was likely that you will more or less change most of the team for this game?  Nottm forest played their reserves against us in the carabao cup and they were on another planet to us. Tickets have sold very well from our end, about 3,500 and plenty of harry haddocks, well that’s just a bit of fun for the kids, maybe some clubs are a bit against the inflatables after one of our supporters got arrested and found guilty of hitting a barnet steward over the head with his harry haddock in the crime of the century, barnet banned the inflatables so next year we hired a mariachi band to play at the game. Never been to Southampton so any help on what area to have a good drink(not Wetherspoons), pub with a pool table would be good and any recommendations for a good curry. In my previous post I mentioned Tommy forecast and Gordon Hobson but somehow forgot to mention the great Kevin Moore, what a player he was for us and I think he was decent for you.          All the best

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Haddock boy said:

Haddock boy in peace, was pleased to see your wishes came true and the oddball got relieved of his duties, probably not helped our chances of what would be an unlikely cup upset, crazy how one man can fcuk a club up, we had it a few seasons ago with Ian Holloway and ended up in non league. would you think it was likely that you will more or less change most of the team for this game?  Nottm forest played their reserves against us in the carabao cup and they were on another planet to us. Tickets have sold very well from our end, about 3,500 and plenty of harry haddocks, well that’s just a bit of fun for the kids, maybe some clubs are a bit against the inflatables after one of our supporters got arrested and found guilty of hitting a barnet steward over the head with his harry haddock in the crime of the century, barnet banned the inflatables so next year we hired a mariachi band to play at the game. Never been to Southampton so any help on what area to have a good drink(not Wetherspoons), pub with a pool table would be good and any recommendations for a good curry. In my previous post I mentioned Tommy forecast and Gordon Hobson but somehow forgot to mention the great Kevin Moore, what a player he was for us and I think he was decent for you.          All the best

There's the Tap-it Brewery Taproom in the industrial estate close to St Mary's.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Haddock boy said:

Haddock boy in peace …. In my previous post I mentioned Tommy forecast and Gordon Hobson but somehow forgot to mention the great Kevin Moore, what a player he was for us and I think he was decent for you.          All the best

Kevin Moore was very good for us. You forgot that our manager who signed him at the time was Chris Nichol who played with him whilst Asst Manager at Grimsby.

And don’t forget Lawrie of course ( who signed Lew Chatterley and Ian Turner from you). 

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1