Relegation run-in 2022/23

Super_Uwe

8 minutes ago, Forester said:

After tonight’s results, even more confident that a number of our rivals are going to gain less than a point per remaining game. At this rate 35 points may be enough

Right, so there are plenty of teams who can have utterly shit form for the rest of the season and still get 35 points. 

We need top 10 form to get 35.

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Right, so there are plenty of teams who can have utterly shit form for the rest of the season and still get 35 points. 

Just had a quick look on the palace forum, so geezer called Alpine eagle posting that he’s really worried we are about to go on one of the streaks of form we had which took us to top of the table 2 1/2 years ago. He reckons Roy is not the man to keep them up and Selles was part of Hassenhuttls set up, who he thinks Palace should have hired and now he’s had a few weeks to get his methods across our form is about to explore at their expense 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

Just had a quick look on the palace forum, so geezer called Alpine eagle posting that he’s really worried we are about to go on one of the streaks of form we had which took us to top of the table 2 1/2 years ago. He reckons Roy is not the man to keep them up and Selles was part of Hassenhuttls set up, who he thinks Palace should have hired and now he’s had a few weeks to get his methods across our form is about to explore at their expense 

Fuck me 🤦‍♂️

13 hours ago, CB Fry said:

With a half decent goalscorer that would be possible. With no real goalscorers at all that won't be.....sadly. God, it's so fckuking annoying.

6 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

With a half decent goalscorer that would be possible. With no real goalscorers at all that won't be.....sadly. God, it's so fckuking annoying.

We have a goalscorer but he seems to start on the bench. And when we bring him on, we don't play to his strengths. 

• Like 1

I kind of admire those who still believe we can stay up. But is it just positive thinking for the sake of it or a fashion thing to support till you die sort of thing as there is no doubt whatsoever we will go down this season now. I felt we were down a few games ago, but a couple of false dawn draws and people get excited again, naturally. West Ham loss sealed our fate and personally I am glad. I truly believe we will have an interesting season in the championship as we have proven strikers from that level and some great youth team players we can blood in the league.

Roll on next season, but then up pops the issue of promotion. Do we really want to straight back up and be fodder again?

2 hours ago, BotleySaint said:

We have a goalscorer but he seems to start on the bench. And when we bring him on, we don't play to his strengths. 

Who's that?

Sorry, being a bit dim.....assuming you mean tall Paul. Thing is, we don't know if he's a goalscorer in this league.....two near misses with headers isn't something you'd want to hang your hat on even though he's not been provided with the right service. Doesn't look like he's going to create chances for himself, no real pace, not a poacher. So unless all we're going to do is fire in crosses for 90 mins (which i can't see), i can't see him making the sort of impact we need.

Edited by LeBizzier69
Being dim.

Depressing to look at the table, closest relegation struggle for years (ever?), at least for places 18 and 19 it is!  The weakest the PL has been for years, loads of poor/mediocre/inconsistent sides, and we can’t even raise a gallop to put ourselves in the mix.

And where have all the goals gone? Chelsea in eleventh place have scored exactly a goal a game, of the the nine teams below them seven have scored less than a goal a game. Last year only the bottom three managed to score less than one goal a game.

I randomly picked 2016 to double check, the year Leic won, Villa were bottom with 27 goals, Norwich went down with 39 goals, Newcastle went down with 44 goals, comfortably above one a game. Looks like there will be between four and five teams this year with around 30-32 goals from 38 games. 

Not sure fans of any of the bottom six to  eight sides can really enjoy this sort of football? Buy a season ticket and wait 90 minutes plus to see if/when your side can score a single goal!

• Like 3

my optimism is dwindling, as we are a bit adrift, but the way the table is bunched up, i keep holding out hope. Leeds (currently in 13th place) is a great example of the crazy table movement that can happen with just 1 to 2 wins.

Of course, you have to win to make this happen and this team doesn't appear to have it in them. I keep hoping something clicks and we'll go on this magical run, but i likely am being naive.

Edited by SaintTex

2 hours ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Who's that?

Sorry, being a bit dim.....assuming you mean tall Paul. Thing is, we don't know if he's a goalscorer in this league.....two near misses with headers isn't something you'd want to hang your hat on even though he's not been provided with the right service. Doesn't look like he's going to create chances for himself, no real pace, not a poacher. So unless all we're going to do is fire in crosses for 90 mins (which i can't see), i can't see him making the sort of impact we need.

Yes I did mean TP. I see your point. But he has scored goals recently, so we shouldn't destroy that confidence. Surely it's worth setting oursleves up around him in the hopes it comes good. Can't be much worse than what we have now.

Edited by BotleySaint
  • Like 1

Mitrovic's first game back will be against us unless the FA appeal his ban is too short and they win. He will be rested - but maybe not match-fit - but, more importantly, will probably be angry and aggressive and wanting to prove something. Best to wind him up early on, then.

We’re lucky it’s not over by now. It should be. Somehow, we’re still clinging on but slowly but surely we’re getting cut adrift.

I find it actually quite maddening that we’re not gone yet. I’ve resigned myself to the fact given where we are and there is literally no hope in salvaging the season because of how poor we are, let alone who we might play. 

Part of me just wants it over with, one way or the other. 

• Like 2

I am an optimistic person glass half full etc .......I look at the table and the points gap is retrievable to safety BUT it needs the team to grow a pair and start fighting for every second ball , pressing at every opportunity working together tirelessly and then maybe we will nick the wins need to survive . throughout football history you will find less talented teams that have over achieved or succeeded because the grew a pair and fought together greece in he Euros , Wimbledon many  years ago .

Trouble is not sure this group have it in them tbh must wins for me Bournemouth and Forest .

We don't create enough quality chances to score so therefore barely score. We need wins, need to score and limit opposition scoring to win. 

Not only that. Nowadays relegation doesn't really affect players so they don't go balls out to win. Case in point, we never lay seige to the opposition net. 

Annoying because if the players actually gave a shit and grew a set and actually went for it we could get out if this mess. 

Not happening.

18 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

We don't create enough quality chances to score so therefore barely score. We need wins, need to score and limit opposition scoring to win. 

Not only that. Nowadays relegation doesn't really affect players so they don't go balls out to win. Case in point, we never lay seige to the opposition net. 

Annoying because if the players actually gave a shit and grew a set and actually went for it we could get out if this mess. 

Not happening.

I tend to agree with that train of thought but then I think: why does it only seem like it's our players that can't be arsed, yet players in other teams seem to ignore the fact that "relegation doesn't really affect players" and still manage to "go balls out to win" when they don't need to? 

Edited by trousers

On 03/04/2023 at 23:37, Forester said:

So just when it feels like all hope extinguished with that defeat yesterday you look at the table and I still feel a low points haul will be enough.  To be clear I think it is likely we are down after yesterday.  However I have been arguing that less than half the bottom nine will get more than one point per match in the run in and I still believe that.  

So what does that mean is needed to stay up?  Pessimistic view is that Palace, Wolves and Wet Spam are the ones that stumble with everyone else doing much better.  Highly unlikely I think, but that could mean 38 or 39 needed.  I can’t see us getting there, requiring five wins from nine games.

However, what if it’s the three worst placed teams above us?  36 credibly keeps you up.  For Saints that is four wins and a draw, with an improving goal difference and others deteriorating.  Most likely route to this, beat Palace, Bournemouth, Fulham and Forest.  Nick a point from one of the other five games.

Sadly I think yesterday makes this much harder.  However many other teams’ fans will be wondering how they get to 36 plus points too.  It’s the hope that kills you!

I admire your positivity, but I’m pretty certain we are f u k t. There is just nothing there. Look how hard Everton fought last night, even when down to ten men. We just don’t have that in us.

The club should get all the clubs staff to line up then get the players to walk past them. Perhaps it might show them that their pathetic displays cost at least 25% of these people, who just earn a living for their families their jobs

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OldNick said:

The club should get all the clubs staff to line up then get the players to walk past them. Perhaps it might show them that their pathetic displays cost at least 25% of these people, who just earn a living for their families their jobs

Therin lays the problem, these cosseted little snowflakes have no concept of life outside their  bubble,  which in most cases has contained them from a very young age.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So the most we can go into the final day with is 33 points.

I fully expect us to be relegated, however Leeds are tanking big time.

A win at Forest would give us one final glimmer of hope. Yet many of us are already checked out for the season, because we have little to no faith in this team. And for good reason.

This is what makes this season's relegation scrap so hard to predict. We actually might do it, despite being utterly crap🤣

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

A win at Forest would give us one final glimmer of hope. Yet many of us are already checked out for the season, because we have little to no faith in this team. And for good reason.

This is what makes this season's relegation scrap so hard to predict. We actually might do it, despite being utterly crap🤣

A scenario that involves us winning all four of our final games is not a "glimmer of hope".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

A scenario that involves us winning all four of our final games is not a "glimmer of hope".

Anyone remember the heady days of January under Mr Jones that saw us on a streak of three wins on the trot? Not all in the league mind you but it did happen.

But Selles will set us up to try and hold Forest at bay - and then we'll lose 0-1. Can't really see even where one point is coming from in the remaining games. Get it over and done with asap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super_Uwe said:

You can lay Saints to get relegated at 1.04. That means you can risk just £40 to win £1000.

Go for it. 

58 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

When is the fixture list for the Championship released? I have holidays and other important matters to arrange.

Are you seriously going to delay booking your holiday in case you miss a game against the likes of Rotherham or Blackburn?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Anyone talking about a glimmer of hope or a chance to stay up, please give your heard a wobble. 😂

I presume those of you have been watching the same team as the rest of us this season.

In what way is there a glimmer of hope? It’s been an exceptionally poor season.

Read my post again☺️

It's not about positivity, it's just that we still have a route out. That is purely down to the other clubs being fairly hopeless as well.

Leeds have taken 1 point from their last 6 games, conceding 22 goals!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Super_Uwe said:

Read my post again☺️

It's not about positivity, it's just that we still have a route out. That is purely down to the other clubs being fairly hopeless as well.

But our route out is 1) needing to win 4 games in a row, and 2) hoping other's drop points (we have to overtake everyone above us). We can only get 36 points, so even if we do the amazing thing and get 12 points out of 12 we'd still be relying on others above us dropping points.

There is more chance of Michael Jackson performing at the Coronation Concert than us winning 1, let alone 4 football matches. It'll be done by next week.

2 hours ago, Super_Uwe said:

Read my post again☺️

Apologies, I’m not having a pop, it’s just realistically I don’t think anyone deep down believes it’ll happen based on performances this season. 😅

Happy to be proved wrong 😇

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Apologies, I’m not having a pop, it’s just realistically I don’t think anyone deep down believes it’ll happen based on performances this season. 😅

Happy to be proved wrong 😇

No need to apologise! We really are crap 🤣

I have to say it's doing my nut in seeing us hanging on with so many poor performances. The Bournemouth game won't be forgotten for a long time.

And yet despite all of that, we could beat Forest and be 3 points from safety with 3 games to play.

Until the other sides actually put us out of our misery, we stumble on😇 

• Haha 1

We have been a shambles, buts it’s way past embarrassment and is just funny more than anything 🤣

The fact we still have a chance of staying up is disgusting, and to be honest imagine if we did - I’d be raging as an opposition fan down the bottom. Six months down there and we’re down there for a reason! 😂

Normally, the most Saintsy thing to do would be to beat Forest and Fulham to spark mass hysteria, only to collapse disappointingly against Brighton and Liverpool. 

This season the most Saintsy thing to do would be to lose all four. 

• Like 1

We have no realistic chance of staying up but there is a semi- realistic chance that we might not finish bottom and/or that our relegation may not be confirmed until the final match of the season against Liverpool. Of course, there is also a purely theoretical chance of us staying up and there are two sides to that:

• Our results - In theory we could get up to 12 points (though realistically we won't get more than 6 and we are likely to struggle to even get 6)
  • The results of others - It is more realistic to suggest that some of our rivals will also not get many/any points (albeit as they have a 5/6 point advantage on us already this is unlikely to help us!)

So, it may be interesting to look at how things could go even in an optimistic scenario. Here's is what it might look like:

Gameweek SAINTS Result? Points Leeds Result? Points Leicester Result? Points Everton Result? Points Forest Result? Points
35 Forest (A) Win 3 Man City (A) Lose 0 Fulham (A) Lose 0 Brighton (A) Lose 0 Saints (H) Lose 0
36 Fulham (H) Win 3 Newcstle (H) Lose 0 Liverpool (H) Lose 0 Man City (H) Lose 0 Chelsea (A) Lose 0
37 Brighton (A) Draw 1 WestHam (A) Lose 0 Newcstle (A) Lose 0 Wolves (A) Lose 0 Arsenal (H) Lose 0
38 Liverpool (H) Lose 0 Spurs (H) Draw 1 WestHam (H) Draw 1 Bompey (H) Draw 1 Palace (A) Lose 0
Added Pts     7     1     1     1     0
Current Pts     24     30     30     29     30
Final Pts     31     31     31     30     30

Sadly, even with the other teams getting no more than 1 points (not an impossible scenario) and with Saints managing to get 7 points (which is really stretching reality I know!) Saints would be dependant on goal difference to stay up - and we all know that Saints GD is worse than everyone else except Forest! In actual fact this scenario would leave us comparing our goal difference with Leeds. At present our goal difference is 8 goals worse than theirs, so we would probably need to win by 2 goals against Forest and Fulham, lose by only one goal against Liverpool and rely on Leeds to lose by 2 goals against Man City, Newcastle and West Ham. In other words, even in this highly unlikley and hugely optimistic scenario we would still be likely to get relegated on goal difference.

Sorry for anyone who thought I was about to say we could stay up - realistically we can't; and in reality even avoiding finishing bottom is highly unlikely!

I think the best we can actually hope for is the joy of seeing Leeds or Everton get relegated with us - or even both of them!

• Like 1

I'm curious to see how West Ham do in their next few because when/if they are on the beach the relegation race. They've got City(A) Utd(H) & Brentford(A). If they come out with 0 which is feasible, they likely need something from either Leeds or Leicester to be comfortable. 

51 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

My interest has been on who is coming down with us. I am hoping for Forest and Leeds because I think we could beat them next year.

Everton and Leicester for me. Don't think we have to worry about beating them. They will both be on the same level as us. No way the likes of Pickford, Maddison etc all are playing in the Championship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Everton and Leicester for me. Don't think we have to worry about beating them. They will both be on the same level as us. No way the likes of Pickford, Maddison etc all are playing in the Championship.

Agree, I don’t know why anyone would think the two teams who’ve been promoted from that league recently would be the weakest. There are plenty of people at Leeds and Forest who will know what it takes to come straight back up.

I want Everton down for two reasons:

1. It’s hilarious 
  2. They have some decent players mixed in with all the dross, who will be straight out the door.
  • Like 2