Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Midfield_General

Whatever the final score is, I reckon that's the best half of football we've had in the league for many months. JWP a legend obviously. Love tall Paul. And more of the best bits of a so-far-shit season watching Lavia turn away from and glide past Premier League midfielders like they're not there.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Curious am i the only 1 wondering what was the difference between the Jankewitz challenge vs man u compared to the one early on Onachu

Lovely free kick again by JWP

The Guardian reporter certainly thinks it should have been a red, and looking at the photo, I can't disagree!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2023/feb/18/nottingham-forest-manchester-city-everton-leeds-and-more-clockwatch-live?page=with:block-63f0e9298f0892f0cefe79b1#block-63f0e9298f0892f0cefe79b1

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

The challenge from earlier in the move 100% should have been a booking. 

thats what I was talking about. Took Onuachu out. Not sure who, but clearly a yellow and ABK and the rest told the ref as such before JWP too the free kick. but he is fucking useless. How was that differnet from the ABK yellow.

We deserve the lead. Have been the better side. Chelsea have been really poor and right from the off our crisp passing and good control has meant we have kept the ball much better. Both ABK and Bednarek have passed it out firmly and players receiving it have responded. 

Really good half, impressed by that! Chelsea look utterly clueless, but also helped by the pressure we are putting on them. JWP tremendous, not just for the goal but his all round game was fantastic. Getting back and helping the defence, linking the midfield to the forwards, a few interceptions as well. 

Very intelligent half of football. Niggly, no flow to the game and we’re looking to be positive at the right time, not the headless stuff we’ve witnessed the last 3 months. 

And it’s just wrong to feel so confident in JWP to produce, left of centre 25 yards out. He’s a freak. 

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Curious am i the only 1 wondering what was the difference between the Jankewitz challenge vs man u compared to the one early on Onachu

Good point. At OT the ref couldn't wait to get the red out. Young lad, debut at OT, give him a yellow and have a chat. 

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

The worst thing about it was the commentator saying what was he supposed to do, had no where else to go, how about keep your fucking feet down

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, manzo said:

No surprise with Coote on the whistle

Just now, notnowcato said:

Very intelligent half of football. Niggly, no flow to the game and we’re looking to be positive at the right time, not the headless stuff we’ve witnessed the last 3 months. 

And it’s just wrong to feel so confident in JWP to produce, left of centre 25 yards out. He’s a freak. 

Are you saying that we're playing aggressively and on the front-foot?

4 minutes ago, Captain Jack said:

Following the game on live text. The name s.Armstrong seems to be featuring a lot. Has he been the missing link this season?

He’s been good, running well and linking up with JWP, drifting in from the wing and cutting across well too, also won the free kick so has an assist.

• Like 1

Thought Onuachu had a great half. He looked like Peter Crouch. With great feet, holding it up well and linking the play.

He did though look absolutely knackered just before half time. Selles needs to keep a very close eye on him, as we were too slow to take him off last week when he got tired - and it hurt us badly. Hopefully he can recover a bit in the break and we can get a bit more out of him

• Like 4

Ah... this is the excitement and joy I remember. Onuachu has had an incredible half.  His ability to receive long clearances, control and retain possession has been fantastic. I was worried the first game he played that he was less good in the air than his height suggested. Today those doubts are gone. Not only is he exploiting is height, his footwork can be stunning... and he's FAST.

Alcaraz for Ely.  It would be incredible if we won this.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic