Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

9 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Where are they getting this bollocks from?

Do they seriously expect people to believe that someone inside the club has been in contact with the press and told them exactly how much we would be willing to accept for Tella? Do me a favour. This is speculative reporting at its worst and can be safely ignored IMO.

Spot on. Besides, my understanding is that Southampton have demanded £30m for Tella. Burnley would like to sign the player, but the most they want to spend is £15m.

...anyone can write these stories 😉 

On 14/06/2023 at 20:00, BERMUDASAINT said:

MAN shitty in for Mbappe would be a scary headline......come and win a treble with Pepe, we can not be stopped. FFP will not stop us, we have to many high paid lawyers.

I'm not so sure this time. 

47 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Who?

B team midfielder. Went on loan to a conference south team last year. Good to see that we're not holding onto a kid that won't make it here, and helping him move to a realistic level. 

15 minutes ago, egg said:

B team midfielder. Went on loan to a conference south team last year. Good to see that we're not holding onto a kid that won't make it here, and helping him move to a realistic level. 

Fair enough never heard of him. Glad he’s got a move though 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We haven't really been linked with any experienced names as yet which is a little bit of a shame. I hope we get an indication that we will be getting some in soon. 

We have been repeatedly linked with Grimes who is very much an experienced player at this level. That central midfield recruitment is going to be massive considering the quality we will lose and the importance of the position in a possession team.

Personally prefer Downes to Grimes.

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We haven't really been linked with any experienced names as yet which is a little bit of a shame. I hope we get an indication that we will be getting some in soon. 

We’ll need that especially in the spine of the team. Just hope we don’t rely on Man City U21’s and providing a full scale yop scheme again.

(But let’s be careful we don’t set another five page, define “experience” debate in motion). 

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

We have been repeatedly linked with Grimes who is very much an experienced player at this level. That central midfield recruitment is going to be massive considering the quality we will lose and the importance of the position in a possession team.

Personally prefer Downes to Grimes.

The dominoes are lining up - JWP yo West Ham, Downes to Saints.

4 hours ago, Chez said:

You missed one point. Saints have effectively told Newcastle they need them to spend about £50m (so they can make about £25m-£30m). That is a huge fee. Perhaps our friend Crook was spot on after all. Newcastle may well have been shocked at the size of our demands.

Its effectivley just the saudi's transferring a load of money between their two clubs whilst we get a nice bit on the side. Not that big a deal surely? And if it is an issue, can't they just top up Newcastle's kitty by signing a Newcastle player for one of their 4 Saudi domestic sides for like £20M... FFP is dead for the Saudi clubs 🤣

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

I know this is Crook so pinch of salt

Newcastle won’t pay #SaintsFC’s £30m for Valentino Livramento - clubs are miles apart on valuations. 

Clubs are ‘shocked’ at the prices set by Southampton for other plays including James Ward-Prowse and Kyle Walker-Peter. 

[@alex_crook via @talkSPORT] 🥈

I really don't get it. Was it Brighton who just paid 30m for a Watford player? But Tella, JWP and Tino are not worth that amount?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

I really don't get it. Was it Brighton who just paid 30m for a Watford player? But Tella, JWP and Tino are not worth that amount?

We want £50m for Tino. £50m for Jwp and probably £30m for Tella. What they are worth depends on the buyers.  

• Like 1

Lavia and Ward-Prowse are entering the hottest market for no. 6s in years: Bellingham, Rice, Caicedo, Lavia, Tonali, Phillips, Kovacic and Ward-Prowse. All the top clubs are in. But while Lavia has completely disrupted the market, the skipper's prospects feel really slim. The change in fortunes over 12 months is wild. Wrote a bit about this here:

Glad to have this done cos the Rice deal feels like it's coming to a close. After that you'd expect the other dominos to start falling.

4 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Well, there's the title decided then. Big fight for second place. What are Leeds up to? 

Leicester building a very solid championship side full of experience. Meanwhile, we've spent the last 2 months fighting over 500k compensation for a very very average manager and have links to a few more kids to fill the creche

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Well, there's the title decided then. Big fight for second place. What are Leeds up to? 

Leicester building a very solid championship side full of experience. Meanwhile, we've spent the last 2 months fighting over 500k compensation for a very very average manager and have links to a few more kids to fill the creche

Its not about results, its about the process. Come on, do keep up ! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I must admit, I am a little disappointed that we haven't begun yet with the incomings and outgoings. I thought that one of the advantages of early relegation is being able to prepare quickly for the next season. The sooner we get on with the ins and outs the better as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I must admit, I am a little disappointed that we haven't begun yet with the incomings and outgoings. I thought that one of the advantages of early relegation is being able to prepare quickly for the next season. The sooner we get on with the ins and outs the better as far as I'm concerned. 

I think we may see a few next week as don’t a lot of contracts end 30th June?

Freebies from Swansea maybe Manning? The Rapper from Chelsea 🙂

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

We won't sign anyone until we trim the bloated squad. Could mean we miss out on targets but we are in difficult situation with the squad size and wage bill. If we holding out for big money on sellable assets then it could be a long summer 

3 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

We won't sign anyone until we trim the bloated squad. Could mean we miss out on targets but we are in difficult situation with the squad size and wage bill. If we holding out for big money on sellable assets then it could be a long summer 

Quite possibly. I'd be tempted to take a bit less on one player maybe to allow us to start rebuilding. Further delays coukd end up being really costly, particularly with the links that Leicester have. 

7 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Ridiculous buying proven players when you could be spunking ridiculous amounts on the Man City youth team.

Fucking glad we’ve got Rasmus and not those clowns.

I don't think any of those incomings will be pulling up trees to be honest. They're banking on Coady being the new Jonny Evans but the reason he was moved on from Wolves in the first place is he can't play in a back four. Steffen might be fine but he's 28 years old and only played one full season. Harry Winks is shite.

They're losing their best player in Maddison, almost certainly Barnes and Iheanacho too - they will be lining up with Jamie Vardy up front again (to the horror of my father-in-law).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We've wasted 2-3 months. Naturally we'll never know what is going on behind the scenes, but it feels like we're behind the 8 ball. 

2 minutes ago, igsey said:

I don't think any of those incomings will be pulling up trees to be honest. They're banking on Coady being the new Jonny Evans but the reason he was moved on from Wolves in the first place is he can't play in a back four. Steffen might be fine but he's 28 years old and only played one full season. Harry Winks is shite.

They're losing their best player in Maddison, almost certainly Barnes and Iheanacho too - they will be lining up with Jamie Vardy up front again (to the horror of my father-in-law).

Coady would be a brilliant addition to any championship team and is the kind of CB we're dearly missing. He's captain material and up until a season or 2 ago was an England international (might need a fact check on that). Winks isn't shite, he'd be a huge improvement on Grimes (who we've been linked with). Steffen is much better than Bazaunu. 

I'll be amazed if they don't sign a striker and if we go head to head with them to sign Piroe, he aint coming here. 

They also managed to persuade a manager to join them that reported rejected us earlier in the window because 'he wants another season learning from Pep'.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

We want £50m for Tino. £50m for Jwp and probably £30m for Tella. What they are worth depends on the buyers.  

I want to see the club slapping high valuations on players - its basically a "hands off" unless clubs come in with silly offers. Bodes well if we actually stick to it.

What doesn't align is the alleged £40M valuation of Lavia - unless the club are basically facilitating his sale to keep others. We should clearly be asking for more than £40M for lavia!

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

We've wasted 2-3 months. Naturally we'll never know what is going on behind the scenes, but it feels like we're behind the 8 ball. 

Coady would be a brilliant addition to any championship team and is the kind of CB we're dearly missing. He's captain material and up until a season or 2 ago was an England international (might need a fact check on that). Winks isn't shite, he'd be a huge improvement on Grimes (who we've been linked with). Steffen is much better than Bazaunu. 

I'll be amazed if they don't sign a striker and if we go head to head with them to sign Piroe, he aint coming here. 

They also managed to persuade a manager to join them that reported rejected us earlier in the window because 'he wants another season learning from Pep'.

this times 100. Not just a centre back but as a player and personality we've been missing this sort of player for 6 years now. A proper leader. Coady isn't the greatest, he's good not great, much like Fonte but i would guartee every single player we've had since Van Dijk got injured and Fonte left would have been better for playing alongside him rather than throwing in kids or foreign players with the eye on future resell value than doing a job now. It's absolutely baffling as to how this has been allowed to carry on when it's so bleeding obvious to everyone else.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, igsey said:

Vardy off to Saudi Arabia apparently. A marriage made in heaven

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, JRM said:

What will we do without him? Big hole to fill 

Not just him though , lost Elyonoussi as well.

We're going to be fucked 'without the ball'. Think I'm seeing why we've opted for a manager who plays a possession based game. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, igsey said:

Winks will be decent in the Championship. Would rather we have a player like that than Diallo.

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Bloody Leicester. How dare they ignore the truths found here on  Saintsweb. . Don't they realise that everyone is on holiday until the middle of July  and nothing gets decided until everyone is back? Why on earth are they already planning for next season when they could wait until the end of the transfer window and then panic buy the likes of Tall Paul?

Anyone would think they don't want to spend the first month of the season floundering for points as the revolving door of player ins and outs upsets the team's pattern of play. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Winks will be decent in the Championship. Would rather we have a player like that than Diallo.

Yes, but I don't want diallo playing in the championship (do you?) so is this really saying much?

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

i’d rather downes for that position. But these sort of midfielders have consistently done well in the championship. Skipp, cork, obrien. Anyone who can keep hold of the ball and play simple passes.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Quite possibly. I'd be tempted to take a bit less on one player maybe to allow us to start rebuilding. Further delays coukd end up being really costly, particularly with the links that Leicester have. 

I think that's key, the club have to drastically reduce the squad as it is way too big. This will allow a decent pathway for Ballard, Doyle, Dibling, and the rest of what seems a decent cohort of youngsters. In addition if the club really want to keep Tella then he needs to be confident of playing. If he is left fighting for a place with 3 or 4 others then he's bound to agitate for a move in January. That will be the same for any signings they won't sign until others are out of the way.

Lots of dominoes to fall yet I suspect.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dman said:

I sense an undercurrent of panic behind these comments, certainly a lot of concern.

We haven't wasted 2-3 months. 3 months ago was March and we were relegated in mid May. Since then we have restructured pretty much the entire management of the club. We've also had our manager identified pretty much since then, nailed on for well over a month, and we've likely had both him and the DoF planning the summer in the background whilst the players have also been on holiday. The transfer window isn't even open!

Coady would be a decent championship player sure, agree. But he is also 30years old, couldn't get in a possession focused wolves side, didn't really do that well under Dyche at everton, and is only going to decline as a player. There are plenty of other players to be found, and many that will suit the style of play better - just because we don't sign Coady doesn't mean we'll have bad CB's.

Piroe has 1 year left and knows Martin, if we are in for him and he wants to come here, he will come here. Swansea can't afford to let their star striker leave for free... 

Maresca is a gamble regardless. He's had 14 games as a manager abroad and it was a car crash. To now step up and turn around the mess that is Leicester in the championship (a very competitive league) is not guaranteed. Maresca's experience of english football is the upper echelons of the premier league with a very weighted deck of cards - he's only really had 2 years learning from pep, and they were sandwiched between time at Parma.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Ridiculous buying proven players when you could be spunking ridiculous amounts on the Man City youth team.

Fucking glad we’ve got Rasmus and not those clowns.

Say whatever you like, they still managed to get relegated spending a lot more money than we have. Those are hardly jizzing my pants signings either, especially with their better players being past it and Maddy heading off to Spurs.

18 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Yes, but I don't want diallo playing in the championship (do you?) so is this really saying much?

Diallo shouldn't be anyway near the team even in the Championship. People laugh at players like Winks and claim he isn't Premier League quality, yet he still played for Spurs and has a handful of England caps. I suspect if we had players like him and Coady, we might not have been relegated. We chose chasing profits over getting good experienced players in, and that ultimately cost us our Premier League place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Mealings said:
Lavia and Ward-Prowse are entering the hottest market for no. 6s in years: Bellingham, Rice, Caicedo, Lavia, Tonali, Phillips, Kovacic and Ward-Prowse. All the top clubs are in. But while Lavia has completely disrupted the market, the skipper's prospects feel really slim. The change in fortunes over 12 months is wild. Wrote a bit about this here:

Glad to have this done cos the Rice deal feels like it's coming to a close. After that you'd expect the other dominos to start falling.

This and your review of SR mistakes are a good read 👍

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Maybe we have - contracts commence 1st July /end 30th June so might see some announcements over those days.

Other clubs might like to flash their knickers at journo's to get their fans onside with these stories - I am hoping wilcox is like "fuck the fan's, players score the goals" and is keeping everything tight.

Coady is a frustrating one, he is everything this squad has been lacking. Not just defensive ability, but leadership - we're still a bunch of kids, nothing has changed in that respect, so getting someone like Coady would make a huge difference to us. Similar to the impact Dawson had at West Ham when he went there if you remember.

I'm nervous that the only links to incomings are once again, youth team players who haven't played first team football yet. It was the wrong approach last year and that hasn't changed this year.

• Like 3