Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Hopefully we can keep hold of Che. If not, an immediate replacement in Piroe would be perfect.

"They (Arma and Che) are both top quality – that’s as long as we keep both of them. If one leaves, we will have to replace him."

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:
Hopefully we can keep hold of Che. If not, an immediate replacement in Piroe would be perfect.

"They (Arma and Che) are both top quality – that’s as long as we keep both of them. If one leaves, we will have to replace him."

Credit to him. He keeps his head down and gets on with things. When things are going well or badly or here, even going into the last year of his contract and an offer to play somewhere else.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ambsaint said:

Che - keep

This is his level, ran about like a boss tonight, he can free contract all he likes next year.

Agreed if he stays and we get promoted it will be worth way more than any transfer fee we get this summer.

• Like 4

The only players from our match day squad last night (Sheff Wed) that I could see as leaving/potentially leaving are: Lavia and Lyanco. McCarthy and Aribo are funny ones because as much as I would like to see them leave and wouldn’t be surprised if they did - the hold up would be their high wages.

The rest of that squad last night I think is here for the season now. 👍🏻

The back five looks settled. The midfield three I thought were excellent and had a great understanding of each other.

I took from RM interview last night, a politicians answer “I don’t know if some of these players will be here in four weeks time”.
Also the fact they’ll only buy players they feel they need and will make the squad stronger, and alluded to more outgoings (deadwood) than incomings).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

The only players from our match day squad last night (Sheff Wed) that I could see as leaving/potentially leaving are: Lavia and Lyanco. McCarthy and Aribo are funny ones because as much as I would like to see them leave and wouldn’t be surprised if they did - the hold up would be their high wages.

The back five looks settled. The midfield three I thought were excellent and had a great understanding of each other.

I took from RM interview last night, a politicians answer “I don’t know if some of these players will be here in four weeks time”.
Also the fact they’ll only buy players they feel they need and will make the squad stronger, and alluded to more outgoings (deadwood) than incomings).

You dont think Adams, JwP and KwP will be leaving?

The sad thing, last night was probably as good as it gets for us this season (squad wise).....and we were hardly a goal threat 🥲

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You dont think Adams, JwP and KwP will be leaving?

The sad thing, last night was probably as good as it gets for us this season (squad wise).....and we were hardly a goal threat 🥲

I think the fact Tino has gone means KWP will stick around.

JWP I’ve said all summer I don’t personally see him leaving.

Adams I reckon we’ll try and haggle for £15m or so, I think he’s got a sizeable sell-on-clause for Birmingham. So a bit like Tino, the club aren’t going to accept next to nothing; and equally I don’t see someone like Bournemouth paying £15m for him.
Better off keeping him and seeing out the season.

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I wish I shared your confidence. I think jwp , Che and Charlie will be off. Charlie didn’t look right to me.

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Please tell me we are keeping Che and sending AA on his way and not vice versa 

Last night hasn’t really changed anything.  We know Che is better, but we know he’s only got a year left and most likely to go.

A shame. But that’s how it is.

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I wish I shared your confidence. I think jwp , Che and Charlie will be off. Charlie didn’t look right to me.

I’m pretty sure Alcaraz has already said he’ll stick around for the time being. His ankle got caught in a tackle. He always looks grumpy when he’s subbed off.

JWP has never pushed for a move, nor do I see him wanting a move. West Ham are linked with better players from abroad in the last 24 hours.

Che I could take or leave. Our best striker but that is a low bar to beat. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m pretty sure Alcaraz has already said he’ll stick around for the time being. His ankle got caught in a tackle. He always looks grumpy when he’s subbed off.

JWP has never pushed for a move, nor do I see him wanting a move. West Ham are linked with better players from abroad in the last 24 hours.

Che I could take or leave. Our best striker but that is a low bar to beat. 

I wouldn’t like to lose Che, is aggression and dynamism bought the game back to life, along with Stu’s introduction, a long time favourite of mine, who id also really like to stay. Really hope your right re JWP

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I wouldn’t like to lose Che, is aggression and dynamism bought the game back to life, along with Stu’s introduction, a long time favourite of mine, who id also really like to stay. Really hope your right re JWP

I know people that are friends of the family, and JWP is very family focused. I think it would be Tyler Dibling MKII if you know what I mean. That’s why I’ve never been convinced. I could be wrong entirely, but I think if the move was going to happen it would’ve years ago.

Che I think will depend on if someone offers stupid money, and that’s where his sale falls down, because of the sell on clause to Birmingham.

35 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I know people that are friends of the family, and JWP is very family focused. I think it would be Tyler Dibling MKII if you know what I mean. That’s why I’ve never been convinced. I could be wrong entirely, but I think if the move was going to happen it would’ve years ago.

Che I think will depend on if someone offers stupid money, and that’s where his sale falls down, because of the sell on clause to Birmingham.

Just so we're clear, you think JWP is going to stay?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Just so we're clear, you think JWP is going to stay?

I'm not sure JWP will stay as a matter of choice. I just don't think anyone else other than West Ham are interested. If they don't stump up what we want then I can see him staying. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Last night hasn’t really changed anything.  We know Che is better, but we know he’s only got a year left and most likely to go.

A shame. But that’s how it is.

Similar to KWP though, unless someone is paying £20million it isn't really worth letting Che go. He would get 20 goals in this team for us, what strikers are we going to sign who have scored bundles in this league before for less than that? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'm not sure JWP will stay as a matter of choice. I just don't think anyone else other than West Ham are interested. If they don't stump up what we want then I can see him staying. 

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Unless West Ham get desperate as the window draws to a close, I don't think he's going anywhere. 

Thanks, it was really aimed at FarehamSaintJames.  I'm not really sure what his position on JWP staying is.  He's been sitting on the fence so long so would be nice to get a definitive answer on what he thinks will happen.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Thanks, it was really aimed at FarehamSaintJames.  I'm not really sure what his position on JWP staying is.  He's been sitting on the fence so long so would be nice to get a definitive answer on what he thinks will happen.

Fair enough, I don't read back the entire thread when I check in just the most recent few posts.

13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Unless West Ham get desperate as the window draws to a close, I don't think he's going anywhere. 

Does he even want to go there? I’d say he’d probably hoped for something better, probably nearer to his home and a more professional outfit than WHU. 

Plenty of time for desperate Prem clubs to meet our valuations. 

Still far, far more likely that proven PL, English players like JWP, KWP etc leave rather than stay.

All this stuff about JWP only wanting to stay near to his home is also pretty ridiculous - plqyers are always moving all over the place and I highly doubt he would turn down a decent midlands or northern club because he only want to play for Bournemouth or Fulham so he doesn't need to move house.

Edited by Dusic
  • Haha 1

Just now, Toussaint said:

Does he even want to go there? I’d say he’d probably hoped for something better, probably nearer to his home and a more professional outfit than WHU. 

what, a southern/London club, who are playing European Football this season? 

Yeah, why would he want to go there

• Like 1

Just now, Saint_clark said:

£150,000 a week living in London and challenging for Europe?

I don’t think he’s had his pay cut here has he? He lives near London now. Anyone else and I’d say those things you mention maybe more of a pull. 

Just now, Toussaint said:

I don’t think he’s had his pay cut here has he? He lives near London now. Anyone else and I’d say those things you mention maybe more of a pull. 

if he not had a pay cut, then we really do need to shift him

• Confused 5

20 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Similar to KWP though, unless someone is paying £20million it isn't really worth letting Che go. He would get 20 goals in this team for us, what strikers are we going to sign who have scored bundles in this league before for less than that? 

The difference is KWP has 2 years left. We can sell him next year whereas i'm sure the club don't want to lose Che for nothing if they can get 15M for him now.

Can't see too many departures from our starting 11 from last night. The commentary team and pundits are suggesting we may lose half our team. Wilcox has already shown we won't just accept anything. I think we will be happy getting near £100m for Lavia/Tino/Salisu/DCC. Would be surprised if we let the likes of KWP, Tella and Adams go after last night's showing. Tall Paul and Sulemana will likely leave but they are both forgettable. 

A new striker and cb needed. We will have some problems though if JWP leaves late in the window.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_Tony said:

Can't see too many departures from our starting 11 from last night. The commentary team and pundits are suggesting we may lose half our team. Wilcox has already shown we won't just accept anything. I think we will be happy getting near £100m for Lavia/Tino/Salisu/DCC. Would be surprised if we let the likes of KWP, Tella and Adams go after last night's showing. Tall Paul and Sulemana will likely leave but they are both forgettable. 

A new striker and cb needed. We will have some problems though if JWP leaves late in the window.

need CBs who can defend set pieces. A lot of champs teams will score their goals that way. Saw it last night - 100s of passes, 80% possession, but concede a goal from 1 set piece

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

if he not had a pay cut, then we really do need to shift him

SR can take the hit for one season. Will get shed loads of free kick opportunities with us. Been proven that clubs can bounce back to PL as have massive advantage on poorer average Championship clubs. 

Having said that not expecting him to stay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Adam Armstrong?

I worry about Che leading the line for a whole season, even at this lower level. He's best when he has something to prove and  isn't seen as the main man

Selling him now and picking up someone like Piroe would make a lot of sense

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

There's a long time left in this window and I am sure we will receive numerous offers from Prem clubs for JWP.  Over 3 weeks to go and clubs will be assessing their squads and looking at what they need and what is available. It's hard to imagine all 20 Prem teams could not use JWP for his experience, fitness, passing and that's before we mention his brilliant goal scoring record from set-pieces. He'll be much in demand as the window unfolds in my opinion. Hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it playing out.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Plenty of time for desperate Prem clubs to meet our valuations. 

Still far, far more likely that proven PL, English players like JWP, KWP etc leave rather than stay.

All this stuff about JWP only wanting to stay near to his home is also pretty ridiculous - plqyers are always moving all over the place and I highly doubt he would turn down a decent midlands or northern club because he only want to play for Bournemouth or Fulham so he doesn't need to move house.

This is the biggest thing for us.  So many potential players who we get late bids for.

I was pretty sure JWP would end up at West Ham (although that was before the internal struggles there. (Seems peak West Ham to appoint somebody to cause strife).

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

This is the biggest thing for us.  So many potential players who we get late bids for.

I was pretty sure JWP would end up at West Ham (although that was before the internal struggles there. (Seems peak West Ham to appoint somebody to cause strife).

Sounds like WHU are closing in on the Ajax CM for £40m

Although one of the WHU mouth pieces has again said today that they're unwilling to go above £30m, and are looking for us to compromise to help them do the deal - umm, yeah that's not how it works.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

need CBs who can defend set pieces. A lot of champs teams will score their goals that way. Saw it last night - 100s of passes, 80% possession, but concede a goal from 1 set piece

I don't think it's all on the centre backs. Our problem is that the rest of the team is packed with small players who lack the height and physicality to defend corners against big sides like Sheff Wednesday. Add in the fact that Baz rarely, if ever, comes out to catch or punch and it is a problem that will be difficult to resolve.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

I don't think it's all on the centre backs. Our problem is that the rest of the team is packed with small players who lack the height and physicality to defend corners against big sides like Sheff Wednesday. Add in the fact that Baz rarely, if ever, comes out to catch or punch and it is a problem that will be difficult to resolve.

Bednarek and Stephens actually won 100% of their aerial duels which surprised me when I looked. I agree, there isn't enough elsewhere. Get Charles in midfield for Alcaraz and either Adams up top or another proper centre forward and we'll be much more solid. 

I would also be training Bazunu on coming out more often. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Bednarek and Stephens actually won 100% of their aerial duels which surprised me when I looked. I agree, there isn't enough elsewhere. Get Charles in midfield for Alcaraz and either Adams up top or another proper centre forward and we'll be much more solid. 

I would also be training Bazunu on coming out more often. 

I should also say that I think what Smallbone showed in conceding that goal is inexperience rather than a lack of physicality. He's never going to outmuscle someone that size, so it's all about staying away from the guy, running in and jumping at the right moment to intercept the ball/put the attacker off. 

so who is going to come in for Tella when he leaves for Burnley?  He said it all by dodging the question after the game.  I know he couldn't say anything else but I think he'll be gone. We still lack goals and need to find a way to get those players in midfield to get themselves into the box when the ball is out wide, otherwise its pointless as Edozie has nothing to aim at - hence comments about no end product from him.  It will get better I'm sure, Piroe would be a good addition but 1 forward is likely to have to leave for that to happen.