Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

3 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

all our targets are opting for the Saudi Pro League. Very frustrating.

If you were offered that kind of money would you turn it down?

I wouldn’t.
It would just be nice for a player to openly admit “yeah I’m going there solely for the money, it’s obscene” rather than the usual bullshit of “opportunity to improve the league”.

6 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

all our targets are opting for the Saudi Pro League. Very frustrating.

I was just looking up if anyone had signed Moussa Dembele on a free transfer. Surprise surprise he's gone to Al-Ittifaq and scored already. 

3 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Your take with a cheap pathetic shot, so sweet.  The point being clearly demonstrated was the upward trend of the improvement in managerial appointments… I’ll draw you a picture next time hun 

Yeah draw me a picture of how 16th > 9th > 6th is "better than anything we've ever achieved". Fucking pathetic 

Said before that the moment we weren’t in for Piroe was obvious when Martin specifically made a point about Armstrong being able to play the Piroe role. Wouldn’t be doing that if you were then trying to bring in Piroe himself. 

BUT LINKS! Everyone loves a link. Links are everything. We need more links, not enough links. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, notnowcato said:

Classic, switches tact of argument. Grow up. 

Says the guy that starts the history of Brighton managers at the beginning of their upward curve but starts ours at the point of our decline. Impeccable.

I wish we were Brighton I wish we were them 

• Haha 1

Story from Alan Nixon this morning: 

Manchester City babe Tommy Doyle’s hopes of a return to Sheffield United are hanging by a thread.

Midfielder Doyle has been asking his old club to take him on loan for a second season and even watched their Premier League return last weekend.

However Blades signed Tom Davies instead, as we revealed, and have other priorities in the last days of the window.

Doyle also has Wolves and Celtic keen on him but United ticked all of the boxes.

Blades still want James McAtee from City on loan but will not know until Pep Guardiola lands an attacking midfield player or two.

McAtee has interest at home and abroad, with Southampton transfer guru Jason Wilcox also trying hard behind the scenes.

Wilcox had McAtee under his wing at City and hopes Guardiola will let him go back to the Championship despite their preference to fins him a ‘better’ home.

22 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Says the guy that starts the history of Brighton managers at the beginning of their upward curve but starts ours at the point of our decline. Impeccable.

I wish we were Brighton I wish we were them 

The managerial list I wrote started with Poch… blatantly not the start of our decline, well not as I saw it anyway.

Have a lie down mate, you’re having a mare. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Why can I not get anything to embed any more ….. nevermind he deleted it

Here’s the screenshot 

IMG_8834.jpeg

Could be agent talk to try and push through other deals. Window is getting closer to be SLAMMED SHUT so lots of work going on. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Absolutely. No offence to Swansea but they have little in the way of expectation for this year yet they can seemingly keep their best players and tie them to new contracts. It's mad that we cannot do the same for our last remaining players we would like to keep. 

Cannot or won’t?

what premier league clubs are in for Piroe and Grimes? None I’d imagine, we can’t really offer premier league contracts until we’re in the premier league. So if Adams and Tella want to negotiate and we can only offer them say £20k a week now but £40k a week if we go but they can’t get £40k a week tomorrow by joining Everton it’s not that great for them is it.

What we should be doing if they’re both not pushing to leave is saying stay with us for another season if we go up we’ll offer you premier league contracts if we don’t you can go then. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Cannot or won’t?

what premier league clubs are in for Piroe and Grimes? None I’d imagine, we can’t really offer premier league contracts until we’re in the premier league. So if Adams and Tella want to negotiate and we can only offer them say £20k a week now but £40k a week if we go but they can’t get £40k a week tomorrow by joining Everton it’s not that great for them is it.

What we should be doing if they’re both not pushing to leave is saying stay with us for another season if we go up we’ll offer you premier league contracts if we don’t you can go then. 

Yes that's exactly what we should do 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Either isn't good. I get that we may have be able to replace some with players who don't have a premier league bonus or wage premium, but surely we can make an exception for one or two? 

How do think that will go down in the dressing room? I'd imagine badly. At the end of the day, like it or not, we're a championship club and everyone needs to accept that - fans and players. 

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

How do think that will go down in the dressing room? I'd imagine badly. At the end of the day, like it or not, we're a championship club and everyone needs to accept that - fans and players. 

If we keep Alcaraz we will have made at least one exception. What's a couple more. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

If we keep Alcaraz we will have made at least one exception. What's a couple more. 

I hadn't realised we'd given Alcaraz a new contract since relegation. You sure about that?

Just now, egg said:

I hadn't realised we'd given Alcaraz a new contract since relegation. You sure about that?

I may have read it wrong, but believe Hypo is on about 'pricing it in' with Adams and co, and telling them they are staying......

As said, could have read it wrong as only glaced on the thread

2 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Realistically, it’s the only route to keep Che.

There's other ways of cutting it. A signing/loyalty bonus of £1m essentially gives him an extra £20k pw. Thereafter wages in line with structure. 

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I may have read it wrong, but believe Hypo is on about 'pricing it in' with Adams and co, and telling them they are staying......

As said, could have read it wrong as only glaced on the thread

I may have misunderstood but I thought the discussion was about paying a few players a bit more than others/structure to keep them. I'm not sure where mention if us having done that with Alcaraz fits in....

1 minute ago, egg said:

I may have misunderstood but I thought the discussion was about paying a few players a bit more than others/structure to keep them. I'm not sure where mention if us having done that with Alcaraz fits in....

fair doo's. My view is Adams is the one (KwP and Tella are under contract and that should be that). Price it in that he could leave for free. We have received huge sums already, and more to come with AbK leaves (plus potentially Sully).....

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

fair doo's. My view is Adams is the one (KwP and Tella are under contract and that should be that). Price it in that he could leave for free. We have received huge sums already, and more to come with AbK leaves (plus potentially Sully).....

Yes that's my point. I can see the logic in selling Adams, even if it weakens us but the others are under contract and we should be taking the hit for a year. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Amazing that a player for long considered on here as a WoS is now regarded as indispensable to our efforts to regain PL status. You couldn't make  it up.

well, you can. We are in an entirely different division, with a completely new set up.

• Like 8

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

Amazing that a player for long considered on here as a WoS is now regarded as indispensable to our efforts to regain PL status. You couldn't make  it up.

Adams is fine as a squad player in the Premier league but not as a starting attacker. He's absolutely good enough to be the main player in the championship though. They're two different jobs. 

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, egg said:

I thought he was on about saying no to a few players rather than selling them once we get an acceptable bid

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Adams is fine as a squad player in the Premier league but not as a starting attacker. He's absolutely good enough to be the main player in the championship though. They're two different jobs. 

Do Everton understand that 'though? More importantly does Adams understand that? Perhaps the Toffees are preparing for life in the Championship.

Time to call time on him in my view and start a clean page with a new striker. Too much sentiment building around the idea of a prolific Che Adams that never existed in reality and never will. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Time to call time on him in my view and start a clean page with a new striker. Too much sentiment building around the idea of a prolific Che Adams that never existed in reality and never will. 

A prolific Che Adams has existed in reality in this Division (for Birmingham) and the evidence so far this season is that he will do again for us if he stays.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I have been thinking the same. He has not suddenly become an incredible finisher just because we dropped down a division. He still can't head the ball (see that 6 yard miss yesterday? He was offside, but even so), and I doubt he's any better in one-on-ones than he was.

At the start of last season he scored a couple and was suddenly a forum favourite again.

He's a decent enough player, but not a great goalscorer by any means.

• Like 1

Do Everton understand that 'though? More importantly does Adams understand that? Perhaps the Toffees are preparing for life in the Championship.

Well he did exist, in the championship in previous seasons, he was ok in the prem until last season, and he has a goal a game this season. So in my view a prolific Che has demonstrably existed and looks likely to hit those heights again in the championship. If there was someone better lined up, sure, but there isn’t and there is unlikely to be imo.

• Like 4

Would have thought Adams going was always in the mind of Wilcox so you'd imagine that he would have replacements in mind but the only strikers I can remember us being linked with this window are Sydney Van Hooijdonk, Andi Zeqiri and Piroe.  Piroe would have been fine but the other two are a bit questionable for me.  Neither have great stats and that's in leagues inferior to the championship never mind the premier league.

4 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Would have thought Adams going was always in the mind of Wilcox so you'd imagine that he would have replacements in mind but the only strikers I can remember us being linked with this window are Sydney Van Hooijdonk, Andi Zeqiri and Piroe.  Piroe would have been fine but the other two are a bit questionable for me.  Neither have great stats and that's in leagues inferior to the championship never mind the premier league.

What’s the obsession with links ? Wilcox has a wealth of knowledge and has been scouting for us since January. For example we weren’t linked  with Mane when we signed him. I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple of new incomings will be pleasant surprises.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, manji said:

What’s the obsession with links ? Wilcox has a wealth of knowledge and has been scouting for us since January. For example we weren’t linked  with Mane when we signed him. I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple of new incomings will be pleasant surprises.

It's speculation.  What the fuck are you on this thread for if you don't want to read it?

54 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

3 goals in one full game plus two appearances as a sub indicate that he could well be prolific this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Cannot or won’t?

I think this is the way the club is playing it. I think it would take daft money over the next 7 days to prise either away. Not sure likes of Everton or Burnley will have that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Which is exactly why we should cash in before his contract ends and we are back at the level that we don't think he can start at.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Imagine it’s 10pm last night of the transfer window. 
Saints have accepted bids of £20m for Che, £20m for Charlie, £20m for Nathan, £20m for KWP, £20m for Sule, and allowed Alex a free. 

What players would we want and what would we be prepared to pay? 

Our propensity to pay a higher price goes up the nearer the end of window we get So, if Swans wanted £18m for Piroe today it’s £25m on last day of window, macatee, grimes, Doyle etc  ditto. 
there’s room to negotiate both ways because of that. And that’s what’s holding stuff up. 

36 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

It's speculation.  What the fuck are you on this thread for if you don't want to read it?

It's not that people don't take an interest in reading links, it fills time right and is mildly interesting but they should be taken with a pinch of salt because at best any links/leaks are heavily embellished. It's the people that crave links or use links and lack of links as evidence of what is or isn't happening. "Lack of links recently for this position is a concern" is my favourite.