Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Not too fussed and can see why the club have decided to let him go. He had the chance to be a Premier League striker and has not really managed it, too many simple chances go begging. Let him go for £15 million and find a better finisher. FWIW I think AA will be the key goalscorer this year. His movement is head and shoulders above Che and with Charlie pulling the strings, he’ll be prolific. 

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

No idea how legit it is, but read an article in the Birmingham media (from just after we signed him) and they said it's 10% on the profit.

Assuming that's true, then Brum would get nothing on a £15m sale.

Fair enough if that's the case. Still don't think we should be selling him mind.

• Like 1

Didn’t really want to lose any of our current xi but I can understand the sale over losing for nothing like I did with ings. In contrast i’d beinfuriated if tella or kwp are sacrificed at this point. Given his record in this league before and current goal haul, taking the money does put even more pressure to get replacement right (given the cost of messing up promotion). Someone like shankland would be a big risk.

Potentially interesting nuance to consider - Ché Adams and Cameron Archer both have the same agency representing them. They will be more than aware of the club's stance of 'Ché can't leave unless we can get one of our preferred replacements in' - and it might give them a chance to do a second deal.

Now whether Archer is on that list of preferred replacements is another thing, but you would assume from his profile that he very much fits with what Saints and Martin like.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Fair enough if that's the case. Still don't think we should be selling him mind.

He won't sign a new contract. We can take the £15m now and invest in a new striker or we can run his contract down and keep him for the season.

Problems with 1st option: Need to replace the goals he would likely score for us this season. Need 20 - 25 goals from a new striker. Get that wrong and it would likely be the difference between getting promoted or not

Problems with 2nd option: If we do not get promoted, he walks for free and we have to get a new striker minus the £15m we could have used for that purchase. Also, we run the risk of a pissed off player who doesn't settle and give his all for us (think that wouldn't be the case with Che as he is an honest lad)

As he won't sign a new contract, I think the club has to sell in order to protect a £15m investment. Everything depends on the quality of replacement (obvious signing is Piroe i think)

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, verlaine1979 said:

Is Archer a realistic prospect either for sale or loan? A nice variety of very crisp finishes in Boro highlight reel.

Sounds like Unai Emery would like another forward to compete with Watkins, but can't do it unless Archer goes on loan or a club buys him.

Edited by CSA96

27 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I wouldn't sell either.  But he's always been in my "He will leave" column on my nerdy spreadsheet.

Just now, verlaine1979 said:

Is Archer a realistic prospect either for sale or loan? A nice variety of very crisp finishes in Boro highlight reel.

Believe they want to sell & include a buy-back etc.

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

Look, Che.

I rate him, but mainly because of his hold-up play and his ability to pick a pass. However, I think people may be overstating his contribution this season. Yes, he has scored some vital goals, but both the Wednesday goal and Plymouth goal I could have got into position and scored. Norwich was half decent finish, but if you don't think we can replace that with another striker for £15m than our scouting department are fucking rubbish. 

There is also the fact that if he scored 25 goals this season, and we got promotion, then he would be our main striker next season, no doubt. So we'll offer him a bumper contract, and then we'll be stuck with him. Do we want to go through all that again? The bitching and moaning that he's missing easy chances? I can't really do it again. 

For me, sell him, chuck Villa £20m for Archer and be done with it. 

At last, I thought I’d missed the bit where someone who misses while stood on the goal line is suddenly the most deadly striker in the Championship that we can’t survive without !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

Look, Che.

I rate him, but mainly because of his hold-up play and his ability to pick a pass. However, I think people may be overstating his contribution this season. Yes, he has scored some vital goals, but both the Wednesday goal and Plymouth goal I could have got into position and scored. Norwich was half decent finish, but if you don't think we can replace that with another striker for £15m than our scouting department are fucking rubbish. 

There is also the fact that if he scored 25 goals this season, and we got promotion, then he would be our main striker next season, no doubt. So we'll offer him a bumper contract, and then we'll be stuck with him. Do we want to go through all that again? The bitching and moaning that he's missing easy chances? I can't really do it again. 

For me, sell him, chuck Villa £20m for Archer and be done with it. 

^this

Che is a good lad, and decent at this level, a 20+ striker in a good side (which Saints could well be this season)... 

...but his three-in-three are, given the play he has been involved in, arguably the least he should have got.

A fully firing Che Adams would have started each of those games and likely got his goals earlier.

His winning goal on Saturday was full of nerves after several fluffed lines for 95 previous minutes. ( 'tis of course great that he held his composure and did the sensible thing.)

But, I think most people would all prefer a striker to be on the front foot and attack balls like that (and not be mindful of the dozens of previous misses from a similar position).

• Like 2

I'd much prefer Adams to stay, he's a proven scorer in this league. We have already seen that he has more space and more time. His confidence is soaring.

However the guy is entitled to work elsewhere, he doesn't have to sign a contract. £15m for a player with one year to go is reasonable.

Move on and buy in someone else.

One reason Adams is scoring, is he is benefitting from a relentless conveyor belt of service, from the most talented part of the team.

Credit to him, you have to be in the right place to do that.. However the team seem to be slicing open Championship defences, and they'll be other forwards who can do that.

It is Che's physical presence that I think is just as important. He dominates defenders,  and if he leaves that definitely needs to be replaced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Apparently Birmingham have a sizeable sell-on as well, not sure if it's on the profit or overall sale. So we're not seeing all of it either.

Will be on profit, and I don’t think we’ll be making any, didn’t we buy for £15M too?

3 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Will be on profit, and I don’t think we’ll be making any, didn’t we buy for £15M too?

Yep. Which is presumably why we’re spending more time focusing on deal structure with Everton, rather than pushing the fee one or two million higher and then having to split it with Birmingham anyway.

Che could stay at Saints, score close to 30 goals, look shit hot and quite possibly get promoted, or go to Everton, score fuck all, look shit and get relegated. But I guess scenario 2 comes with bigger payout, and the lad probably has enough self belief to think he can be prolific at Everton. Which is a shame 'cos he won't be, but hey, at least he'll be fucking loaded, so fair play to him.

• Like 4

I like Adams but I think getting 15m for him is ok. If we go up, a) will he sign on again and b) will he be better "next time"?

I dont think it's worth the gamble overall. Its a good time to (hopefully) get two new strikers in. I like the look of Cameron Archer, young fast and teo footed. Another like maybe Piroe with some experience in this league might be a tasty combination. 

The real shame is that he feels like he doesn’t want a new contract. 

He could be a really good striker in this league and is easily good enough as a backup for us if we get promoted again. For all the stick he gets he always gives 100% and he is a talented player.  

But I agree with the above posters; the club has their hand forced by his contract. We have to take the money now really. Shame, but good luck to him. 

• Like 4

Whatever forward we get he needs to have some physicality and mobility - all of our best teams in recent times have had a good focal point. Onuachu isn't that man and seemingly won't get a look in anyway. Piroe and Archer seem to be forwards in the same mould as Armstrong so not convinced by them either.

11 minutes ago, petermcpete said:

Whatever forward we get he needs to have some physicality and mobility - all of our best teams in recent times have had a good focal point. Onuachu isn't that man and seemingly won't get a look in anyway. Piroe and Archer seem to be forwards in the same mould as Armstrong so not convinced by them either.

If Adam Armstrong was five inches taller and broader build, you mean?

25 minutes ago, Smatt48 said:

Is there any possibility of us spending more than the £15M on Che's replacement?

That would be an ideal scenario to reinvest some of this cash in a first team starter with this cash we've just made!

Why does it matter how big the fee is?

34 minutes ago, Smatt48 said:

Is there any possibility of us spending more than the £15M on Che's replacement?

That would be an ideal scenario to reinvest some of this cash in a first team starter with this cash we've just made!

Would be a record signing in the Championship if we did. Ruben Neves for £15.8m the current record. Be nice if we could find a striker as good as Neves is in his position.

I don’t know why Adam’s would want to go to Everton. Money isn’t the only factor to consider. 

Based on how Everton are playing it’s not going to be a pleasant experience. He should stay with Saints, have a good season scoring goals and then review his position if we succeed in getting back up. 

7 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

The real shame is that he feels like he doesn’t want a new contract. 

He could be a really good striker in this league and is easily good enough as a backup for us if we get promoted again. For all the stick he gets he always gives 100% and he is a talented player.  

But I agree with the above posters; the club has their hand forced by his contract. We have to take the money now really. Shame, but good luck to him. 

From recollection he’s wanted away or nearly left in the last three windows, he clearly doesn’t want to be here. As much as I wanted him to stay, it always felt nailed on he would leave if a premier league club wanted him. The reality is there is nothing the club could do about this one.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Not for me thanks

I wouldn't be against it but, understandably, we could never satisfy his salary demands with the PL contract he's on. The only slim chance would be if he wants to play regularly at his age (injuries allowing) and accepts reduced wages but guaranteed generous bonuses with goals scored and additionally with promotion.

5 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

I wouldn't be against it but, understandably, we could never satisfy his salary demands with the PL contract he's on. The only slim chance would be if he wants to play regularly at his age (injuries allowing) and accepts reduced wages but guaranteed generous bonuses with goals scored and additionally with promotion.

Seems unlikely doesn’t it 

1 minute ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

He seems the sort to prefer sitting on the bench, pocketing the cash and insisting he’s a Premiership player to me, rather than demean himself with a return to the provinces/lower leagues. Bournemouth might be more his liking if they were to come in for him..

Still have this odd feeling that we will get Piroe. Wonder if he got on with Downes/Martin. 

Hope we get movement before the weekend as I suspect Che will be turning out for Everton as a sop to their baying fans. They will be disappointed. 

I want a striker that we can take into the premiership who can start banging in the goals.

Example - Toney

Would be amazing to get in Mcafee, replace that Genk winger for Tella if a suitable big comes in.

That leaves us with wanting a demanding CB and that Bristol City one looks quality.

25 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

This is just crazy.  It seems like you're suggesting he walks away from his contract - that runs until 2025 - and accepts LESS money.  Has there EVER been an instance when a footballer has accepted less money when they still have a contract running?

The only possibility is if West Ham get fed up paying his wages in full and accept a loan deal that will recoup some of them....

21 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I want a striker that we can take into the premiership who can start banging in the goals.

Example - Toney

Would be amazing to get in Mcafee, replace that Genk winger for Tella if a suitable big comes in.

That leaves us with wanting a demanding CB and that Bristol City one looks quality.

Would be good to make sure we don't get any more viruses.

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Example - Toney

I'm still hoping ABK stays otherwise I'm hoping for Vytner and Harewood-Bellis.

Agree about the striker. Despite 3 in 3 I'm not convinced by Armstrong. Worrying there doesn't seem to be a concrete link.

Not really keen on that Genk winger.

Would love McAtee but suspect he's beyond us.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DT said:

Still have this odd feeling that we will get Piroe. Wonder if he got on with Downes/Martin. 

Nothing odd about it. Piroe transfering to us makes logical sense. They don't want him walking for free either.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Nothing odd about it. Piroe transfering to us makes logical sense. They don't want him walking for free either.

Yep. Piroe will undoubtedly leave Swansea this window for the same reason Adams will leave us this window. Roundabouts and swings. 

10 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Isn’t Archer more similar to Armstrong then Che ?

If so.. I can’t see us moving for Archer

Looks a decent player. Small, quick, skillful rather than a physical number 9 type though. So I agree, he Doesn't feel like a natural replacement for Che unlike Piroe. 

If Tella departed, perhaps he'd be a good replacement for him. Slightly different position perhaps.

Che leaves on a free next year. Means he would likely get a sign on bonus from whoever bought him and very tasty wages. Stay at saints score lots of goals take your pick of the clubs. 
versus : get a bigger wedge than he is on currently with Everton and an extended contract. 
versus : accept saints offer and contract extension. 

it’s clear the third option is the non starter. It’s between the first and second and given he needs relocate to Liverpool and Everton’s recent bad form it’s not clear cut to me he would be delighted to join them. 

1 hour ago, musesaint said:

I don’t know why Adam’s would want to go to Everton. Money isn’t the only factor to consider. 

Based on how Everton are playing it’s not going to be a pleasant experience. He should stay with Saints, have a good season scoring goals and then review his position if we succeed in getting back up. 

Agree. Bad move for all parties. 15m is nothing compared to what is gained from promotion and he’s an ideal championship striker. Robust, but with some ability, can bring others into play and not slow. Finishing not great but you can get away with that in this league. Also if he was the complete package he wouldn’t still be here anyway . I don’t think we can easily replace him for 15m. Would be a gamble at least.

Bad move for Adams. Not going to be much fun up front for Everton this season. Can only be about money. He must know they are a mess and may well go down. I certainly would be insisting on a relegation release clause if I was him. 

• Like 1