Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Fair shout. Just on YouTube, he looks like a Martin-style player

If you did a youtube video of your best posts, you might look knowledgeable about football, but it would not be the full picture. Always dangerous these youtube publicity things ................only teasing Hypo  

• Haha 4

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Ive had a look through and actually its reported that City want 15-20m so not as bad as I first thought

But Fulham and Burnley have been sniffing so he’s probably out of our reach

Personally I don’t take much notice of what the majority of football fans think because generally they don’t know what they’re talking about

LOL very true.

most of us (me included) were raving about the transfer window last summer (9/10). Golden thread, that one.

• Like 1

Just now, OldNick said:

If you did a youtube video of your best posts, you might look knowledgeable about football, but it would not be the full picture. Always dangerous these youtube publicity things ................only teasing Hypo  

WTF is this?

• Haha 1

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

LOL very true.

most of us (me included) were raving about the transfer window last summer (9/10). Golden thread, that one.

I actually thought it was a decent window, but not signing a striker doomed us

I still think if we appointed a manager anywhere near competent we’d of been ok.. Jones doomed us

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yep fair point, but if Swansea accept our offer and we approach the player we’ll have to tell him what playing time he might expect…will he be a starter or a bench player? As both Bednarek and Stephens must be considered senior players, you would think he would be told he’ll have a support role, but will that be enough to lure him?  Unless of course JB wants out.

Not sure managers always give that kind of commitment. Like everyone else he will have to earn the shirt. Guaranteeing a start is madness. What if they don't play well?

If a decent club came in for Bednarek, I'm sure he'd want the move, but Martin said they had only recieved a very low bid, right at the start of the summer and not heard anything since. So he's stuck here and I am sure he'll give his all.

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

I actually thought it was a decent window, but not signing a striker doomed us

I still think if we appointed a manager anywhere near competent we’d of been ok.. Jones doomed us

that is true. We had a good chance of saving the season, with the change of manager....But, Nathan Jones - christ.

Once Ralph ditched the 3-man defence, I thought we were alright (bar the striker as you say). We had better players than the league table suggests....

anyway, that is the past

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Imagine Swansea absolute love doing business with Saints. Obviously nothing they could do about Manning and probably very little about the Academy Director either, but they will have a big say in any player sales, thats for sure!

Surely they accept any bid if it met the value they put on the player? Or is that just us?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Surely they accept any bid if it met the value they put on the player? Or is that just us?

They have an asset to protect, so why they might dig their heals in slightly, ultimately they will likely cave as they won't want to loose out on £10m if he goes for a free next summer 

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

they don't seem terribly bothered about him leaving.

Perhaps we ought to take a look at the fella Cameron Humphreys at Rotherham mentioned on that forum. He's highly rated there and a former Man City academy player! 

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not sure managers always give that kind of commitment. Like everyone else he will have to earn the shirt. Guaranteeing a start is madness. What if they don't play well?

If a decent club came in for Bednarek, I'm sure he'd want the move, but Martin said they had only recieved a very low bid, right at the start of the summer and not heard anything since. So he's stuck here and I am sure he'll give his all.

Of course there would be caveats that mean he would need to demonstrate performance levels higher than current starters. I suspect Bednarek’s international status places him high in the pecking order of a pretty mundane group of CB’s, despite the fact that a younger incumbent might actually be better.

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

They will accept a bid that meets their value. Is that not the whole point of a having a valuation? Deciding on a price that you feel is too good to say `no'. You seem to be unhappy about us selling players. Are we selling them too cheap in your eyes or did you expect us to say no to all offers and keep players like JWP? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Of course there would be caveats that mean he would need to demonstrate performance levels higher than current starters. I suspect Bednarek’s international status places him high in the pecking order of a pretty mundane group of CB’s, despite the fact that a younger incumbent might actually be better.

it will be very interesting to see who is dropped should he sign. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jayrivers said:

They have an asset to protect, so why they might dig their heals in slightly, ultimately they will likely cave as they won't want to loose out on £10m if he goes for a free next summer 

Makes sense. Sell him for £10m and buy someone like Humphreys for about £1.5m and use the rest to cover wages/overheads/losses

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

They will accept a bid that meets their value. Is that not the whole point of a having a valuation? Deciding on a price that you feel is too good to say `no'. You seem to be unhappy about us selling players. Are we selling them too cheap in your eyes or did you expect us to say no to all offers and keep players like JWP? 

I’m unhappy we are selling so many, particularly ones who don’t seem to be pushing for moves. Lavia, ward Prowse, Salisu all going to go, it’s the ones like Tella and Adams that are bothering me 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’m unhappy we are selling so many, particularly ones who don’t seem to be pushing for moves. Lavia, ward Prowse, Salisu all going to go, it’s the ones like Tella and Adams that are bothering me 

Che might not be 'pushing' for a move but he's certainly been manouvering for one by deciding not to re-sign. Tella I agree but we've already rejected a sizable opening bid for him so I think if he does go a replacement will already be factored in.

Next 10 days or so should be very exciting.

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We seem to have a set a pretty high fee (if you believe what has been written so far) for Tella. €25-30m is not exactly a `come and get me' price.

Is Adams not signing a new contract 18 months ago not him pushing for a move? 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I'd argue Adams has been pushing for a move for the last two seasons. Every window he's linked with moves away, especially Everton... Doesn't seem much of a surprise to me. 

Tella is a tricky one. We farmed him out last season and I expect he feels he's proven himself a premier league player now, who deserves a chance. Again, depending what's going on behind the scenes, I'm ok selling him for the right money given we replace and strengthen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Che might not be 'pushing' for a move but he's certainly been manouvering for one by deciding not to re-sign. Tella I agree but we've already rejected a sizable opening bid for him so I think if he does go a replacement will already be factored in.

Next 10 days or so should be very exciting.

I don't understand why we would even consider selling Tella or KWP. This whole sell for valuation regardless of the sporting needs is crazy to me. Putting our foot down on Morgan sale back in the day was great and helped the team remain compatible. You'd struggle to replace with similar championship pedigree at this point.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, jayrivers said:

Tella is a tricky one. We farmed him out last season and I expect he feels he's proven himself a premier league player now, who deserves a chance. Again, depending what's going on behind the scenes, I'm ok selling him for the right money given we replace and strengthen. 

Not sure why a season in the Championship, albeit a good one, would make Tella think he’s proven himself a Prem Player? Far from it in fact if he were to look at the experiences of Che and Arma…hardly one-off examples.  There’s no guarantees that the system he’s playing at Saints is going to bring him the same success, although the signs are looking good admittedly. He’s young enough to put in a good shift at his parent club this year….prove he’s consistently too good for the Championship and get to the promised land with Saints.

7 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not sure why a season in the Championship, albeit a good one, would make Tella think he’s proven himself a Prem Player? Far from it in fact if he were to look at the experiences of Che and Arma…hardly one-off examples.  There’s no guarantees that the system he’s playing at Saints is going to bring him the same success, although the signs are looking good admittedly. He’s young enough to put in a good shift at his parent club this year….prove he’s consistently too good for the Championship and get to the promised land with Saints.

This is absolutely the stance we should be taking, rather than the asset value approach of Leverkusen offering us more than he’s currently worth on transfermrkt.com 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Looks a bit special if YouTube Highlights are anything to go by

Obviously YouTube pinch of salt but I don't think you could find me a single clip of Bednarek looking that comfortable on the ball. Or Stephens for that matter, who for all the comical DM shouts over recent years has looked absolutely terrible receiving the ball this season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Looks a bit special if YouTube Highlights are anything to go by

My thoughts on this "highlights" video though... he seems to love taking players on, running out from the back, and there were more than a few occasions where he seemed to collect the ball miles out of the position I'd expect a CB to be. All of which are pretty risky, which probably explains why the Swans shipped an enormous amount of goals last season.

I suppose time will tell if he's the right one for us. Obvious perks of being known by the manager, and quick onboarding to the playing style. I can't say I know anything about him though.

55 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I don't understand why we would even consider selling Tella or KWP. This whole sell for valuation regardless of the sporting needs is crazy to me. Putting our foot down on Morgan sale back in the day was great and helped the team remain compatible. You'd struggle to replace with similar championship pedigree at this point.

The worrying thing about a player who wants to leave is if you block it he could do a Van Dick which in my view was a big disruption in our progression and caused so much unrest in the dressing room. I would rather trust the owners to bring in good replacements. Not saying either would do the same but not sure KWP looks happy to be here at the moment.

Edited by Saints4Prem
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

So, if someone offers €30m for Tella your answer is no. That's a lot of money to decline, but I can understand your argument. 

Are we considering selling KWP? Who has offered what?

Timing of player sales is critical. Newcastle (possibly) offered £40m for Salisu in a January window and we turned it down. 18 months later, with very little to show for it on the pitch, he's sold for £15m.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saints4Prem said:

The worrying thing about a player who wants to leave is if you block it he could do a Van Dick which in my view was a big disruption in our progression and caused so much unrest in the dressing room. I would rather trust the owners to bring in good replacements. Not saying either would do the same but not sure KWP looks happy to be here at the moment.

He wants a move, he said he wanted to be playing in the Prem, but we are preventing a move happening with a huge price tag. If that's the case, and I am speculating here of course, then it's not really us looking to sell. Doesn't mean he won't go. 

1 hour ago, jayrivers said:

Very good champ season doesn't prove you're a Prem league player. In any case since when was Bayer Leverkusen in the Premier League. The Leverkusen link doesn't make any sense to me. I get his desire to go to Burnley but not Bayer.

17 minutes ago, gecko said:

My thoughts on this "highlights" video though... he seems to love taking players on, running out from the back, and there were more than a few occasions where he seemed to collect the ball miles out of the position I'd expect a CB to be. All of which are pretty risky, which probably explains why the Swans shipped an enormous amount of goals last season.

I suppose time will tell if he's the right one for us. Obvious perks of being known by the manager, and quick onboarding to the playing style. I can't say I know anything about him though.

Decent analysis but minus points for using the phrase "onboarding"

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, gecko said:

One element of play that is a massive change from the 'against the ball bollox', is how we now have players beating their man. The wide players of course, KwP does, even Stu Armstrong in the middle was beating his man with the ball.  Makes a huge difference.

• Like 2

Looks like Johan Hove is nailed on. Got him for a bargain price due to a release clause according to reports as Groningen were relegated last season.

Seems like a decent squad signing to add some depth to midfield with good upwards potential.

Edited by Hopper
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Hopper said:

Looks like Johan Hove is nailed on. Got him for a bargain price due to a release clause according to reports as Groningen were relegated last season.

Seems like a decent squad signing to add some depth to midfield with good upwards potential.

Sounds like a candidate to join the Sports Republic portfolio. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Wonder if this will be the end of our interest in the German lad. 

24 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Decent analysis but minus points for using the phrase "onboarding"

I'm just glad we finally have a manager that is enacting some holistic, bluesky thinking

22 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

One element of play that is a massive change from the 'against the ball bollox', is how we now have players beating their man. The wide players of course, KwP does, even Stu Armstrong in the middle was beating his man with the ball.  Makes a huge difference.

it's actually something i quite liked about Stephens - he was one of the only CBs we have that would actually dare carry the ball up to/past the half way line dragging opposing strikers with him at times.

Agreed that beating the man opens up a lot more attacking opportunities. It's usually fine as a fullback or AM given their position on the pitch, but as a CB I still think Wood's highlights suggest that he'll be prone to being caught out of position. If the rest of the "system" can compensate for that, then I'm all for it. Otherwise I suspect we'd see a lot of silly/unnecessary concessions

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Decent number of goals in the Norwegian top flight for a midfielder. The standard of football looks pretty poor.

Much more of an attacking midfielder (from that video at least) than Kerber (who looks like more of a holding midfielder).  

40 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Very good champ season doesn't prove you're a Prem league player. In any case since when was Bayer Leverkusen in the Premier League. The Leverkusen link doesn't make any sense to me. I get his desire to go to Burnley but not Bayer.

Are you joking? He's betting on himself by doing the Bundesliga jump - one good season and he ends up at Bayern or Borussia - huge wages and Champions League football. 

Much better than Burnley and then a move to Everton/West Ham. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gecko said:

It's usually fine as a fullback or AM given their position on the pitch, but as a CB I still think Wood's highlights suggest that he'll be prone to being caught out of position. If the rest of the "system" can compensate for that, then I'm all for it. Otherwise I suspect we'd see a lot of silly/unnecessary concessions

As soon as Martin was appointed, players being caught in possession, leading to goals conceded, seemed inevitable. Not sure that has happened yet, but it will. 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Chez said:

So, if someone offers €30m for Tella your answer is no. That's a lot of money to decline, but I can understand your argument. 

Are we considering selling KWP? Who has offered what?

Timing of player sales is critical. Newcastle (possibly) offered £40m for Salisu in a January window and we turned it down. 18 months later, with very little to show for it on the pitch, he's sold for £15m.

Yeah for me it would be a no. You may say $30M is a lot but i'd say promotion is worth a vast amount more.

Equally it can go the other way, brighton not selling Caicedo in January etc.

Bayer linked with another winger from Barca:

https://www.barcablaugranes.com/fc-barcelona-transfer-rumors-news/2023/8/22/23841177/bayer-leverkusen-approach-barcelona-for-ez-abde-transfer

They seem to be shopping in the sub €20m market. I can't see them spending €30m on Tella. They brought in a shed load for Diaby, but have spent a few bob already on a striker and a right winger.

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

As soon as Martin was appointed, players being caught in possession, leading to goals conceded, seemed inevitable. Not sure that has happened yet, but it will. 

I think it’s been plain to see we’ve been susceptible to being caught in possession. Did you not watch the 4-4 game and there are other examples?!  Having said that, there may well be signs that it’s being put right and Downes may well be at least part of the answer to improving this part of our game.

11 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Are you joking? He's betting on himself by doing the Bundesliga jump - one good season and he ends up at Bayern or Borussia - huge wages and Champions League football. 

Much better than Burnley and then a move to Everton/West Ham. 

It’s been mooted in Germany that Beyer could be pushing the top boys this season - just need a more attacking threat - hence their interest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Tella and KWP have 2 years left on their contracts.  Why sell them now?

Cos their values go down from this point onwards maybe?

I'm not suggesting we sell either of them by the way. I am just trying to see things from a Southampton Football Business perspective. The SR philosophy seems to be buy young talent and sell them at their peak prices and then reinvest in more young talent...rinse and repeat.    

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

It's almost happened a few times this season but last ditch challenges have saved our blushes. It is the martin way continuously playing out even when under pressure.

I wouldn't imagine we will have to many clean sheets this season.

• Like 2